• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feel free to suggest a better title.

This came across my timeline and thought it was thread worthy.

My nephew played Fortnite. Whenever he lost, he would scream that the other player was a hacker, and refused to hear otherwise. I and his uncle are lifelong gamers. When we tried to explain that he needed to get better, he grew so angry with us that he began to hit us. When we tried to explain that he was 7 and didn't necessarily have the physical response time as someone else, he would simply scream that we were calling him 'bad' and run away. When we tried to explain that he was playing on a Switch and Ninja on a keyboard and mouse so Ninja would have different response times, he would tell us we were 'stupid idiots who didn't know what we were talking about'. He would get so angry at the very idea that he lost that it was impossible for him to get better. He would throw his Switch. He would punch things. He would hit his brother. He was a child who had no nuanced understanding of his rage.

When we found out that he watched Ninja, my partner and I IMMEDIATELY banned him from watching Ninja ever again. He threw a giant tantrum and hated us and refused to listen to us. He said Ninja was the 'best gamer ever'. But once we banned Ninja, he calmed down. He was able to rationalise his losses. He watched YouTubers we recommended (because they were calm and taught people). And you know what? That's when he got better at the game. Now when he loses Fortnite he sits down for a solid minute and thinks 'Could I have won?' and if the answer is 'No', he shrugs and goes back to playing. If the answer is 'Yes', then he will write down what he should have done so he can remember it.

Our nephew's emotional and mental health improved dramatically when we banned Ninja from his life.

Really speaks to the influence these creators have on their young audience.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
It genuinely frightens me how many young children are just absorbing hours of YouTube and twitch.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Children should not grow up watching this person do his "things". Same goes for many Twitch / YouTube personalities. They are not to be considered models by kids.

Last edited:

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of people's mental health would improve. I'm always surprised though when I remember just how much influence streamers can have on people, especially children.

Context for what the Twitter user is responding to

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
The above account puts more context on the criticisms people are giving Ninja for his recent comments:

www.resetera.com

Ninja: Not getting angry after losing suggests a 'weak mindset'

https://twitter.com/i/events/1230155894526136320 Ninja says that not getting angry after losing suggests a 'weak mindset' The streamer received backlash after suggesting that gamers have a "weak mindset" if they do not get angry after losing: "When you stop getting angry after losing, you’ve...

I understand the point he is (rather inarticulately) trying to convey, but such nuance is lost among his younger audience.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never thought about that. Kids from abusive homes normalizing the Zany Angry Internet Man's behaviour.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't let my kids ever watch streamers at a young age (especially ones that rage) or the tv show Caillou...

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Disturbing. I wonder if lessons about letting kids roam the internet without guidance will be learned by the time the first internet-raised generations grow up.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Young children shouldn't be consuming hours of YouTube and twitch anyway. Parents are failing their kids by letting that happen.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That mother fucker.

I've never thought about that. Kids from abusive homes normalizing the Zany Angry Internet Man's behaviour.

I guess my mind goes towards another point of - Is this the same as how music was treated in the 80s and 90s when parents blamed rock and hip hop for "radicalizing the youth"?

I feel like its not, but the parallels are there it seems.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It genuinely frightens me how many young children are just absorbing hours of YouTube and twitch.
Yep. You best believe I am going to regulate the fuck out of that shit when I have kids. I'm pretty sure it'll be a complete ban without my presence at least until they reach puberty.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
I have trouble believing that he watched ninja because Ninjas behaviour resembled his father..... That feels like a real reach there.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
That mother fucker.

I guess my mind goes towards another point of - Is this the same as how music was treated in the 80s and 90s when parents blamed rock and hip hop for "radicalizing the youth"?

I feel like its not, but the parallels are there it seems.

I think the (usually false?) intimacy of fan/streamer interactions is something that really seperates out influencers and streamers from more nebulous media concepts like rock'n'roll or violent video games or whatever. It's much closer to being influenced by bad friends than it is to simply consuming media imho

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Youtube is garbage, thats not just limited to Ninja.

Nickelodeon is like Shakespeare next to most of the crap that is created on YT. The good stuff usually has like 500 views...

Not sure why so many parents give their kids access to YT at such young ages.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
To me this kind of feels like a correlation does not imply causation. How many of us have played online with someone, kid or adult, who just go full tilt when something isn't going their way? I don't know the kid's situation and I hope he and his family are getting help but "abusive father" seems much more likely to cause rage issues than watching a streamer.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have trouble believing that he watched ninja because Ninjas behaviour resembled his father..... That feels like a real reach there.

It's more that he shouldn't be watching a man validate himself by getting stupid angry because he's already been exposed to that brand of poison.

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
Not to me, this is the modern equivalent of "Too much tv" (Not on a dismissive sense, after all, too much of anything IS a problem)

Cable is not as popular as it used to be, youtube/twitch on the other hand, are more and more the main focus. So those who would be spending all day watching tv years ago, are doing it on the internet now.

In other words, it should be expected for this to happen, and as such, we must be ready to properly control it so the kids don't get negative repercussions.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I watch a lot of YouTube, but I think I missed the age where it became my entire life. I probably watch maybe 1-2 hours of youtube daily. When I was a kid though, I wasn't much better. I was on chat rooms and xbox live parties/lobbies on the 360 for 18 hours a day playin GRAW, Saints Row 1 Halo 3, etc. I lived on xbox live. It was more my life than I care to admit. My poor launch system stood no chance.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My little brothers exist on the internet more than I ever did, doing nothing but consuming content from YouTube. It's fucking frightening.
Yeah there is literally zero accountability. At least back when most of us were kids there were FCC guidelines and E/I rules for broadcast networks and cable networks still operated with Standards and Practices to keep advertisers.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't surprise me. I have only viewed very little of Ninja but I've always seen him act so childish anytime he loses.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
All those kids in the 90's and 00's who broke a controller in anger, turned off the console mid match and stormed out of the room. Clearly influenced by Ninja.

When will this man's reign of terror end?!?

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Gamer YouTubers are generally shit. If I had children I would not let them use YouTube unsupervised. There's far too much damaging content on there.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All those kids in the 90's and 00's who broke a controller in anger, turned off the console mid match and stormed out of the room. Clearly influenced by Ninja.

You're right if problems existed prior then dealing with them now is poppycock.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah there is literally zero accountability. At least back when most of us were kids there were FCC guidelines and E/I rules for broadcast networks and cable networks still operated with Standards and Practices to keep advertisers.

Not to mention that it was so new and so inaccessible that being a toxic dickhead for views wasn't as popular of a thing as it is now.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Not to me, this is the modern equivalent of "Too much tv" (Not on a dismissive sense, after all, too much of anything IS a problem)

Cable is not as popular as it used to be, youtube/twitch on the other hand, are more and more the main focus. So those who would be spending all day watching tv years ago, are doing it on the internet now.

In other words, it should be expected for this to happen, and as such, we must be ready to properly control it so the kids don't get negative repercussions.
One difference is that youtune and twitch have no filters at all. I mean they do have regulations, but nothing that can't slip out.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017

If you could break a Genesis or SNES controller as a kid you were probably on roids which I would assume was the real cause of their problem if they were able to break those things.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
The FCC did in fact make A tiny modicum of difference between admittedly unwholesome TV in the 90s/oughts, and the wild west of youtube now, so I'm not surprised.

That said, even as this story shows, it's about the adult influences and guiding children away from bullshit like that/correcting their false notions.

Nov 8, 2017
Fortnite is rated "T for Teen"
We are here blaming a 7 year olds temper tantrums from a T rated game on an adult streamer. When do the adults that let the 7 year old play a game he's not mentally mature enough to play become accountable?

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We are here blaming a 7 year olds temper tantrums from a T rated game on an adult streamer. When do the adults that let the 7 year old play a game he's not mentally mature enough to play become accountable?

Yes, a fantasy battle royale game is teaching young emotionally abused kids to act out. Great observation.

Obviously sarcasm

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
" Now when he loses Fortnite he sits down for a solid minute and thinks 'Could I have won?' and if the answer is 'No', he shrugs and goes back to playing. If the answer is 'Yes', then he will write down what he should have done so he can remember it. "

That is amazing and adorable

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
" Now when he loses Fortnite he sits down for a solid minute and thinks 'Could I have won?' and if the answer is 'No', he shrugs and goes back to playing. If the answer is 'Yes', then he will write down what he should have done so he can remember it. "

That is amazing and adorable
Not angry enough, not going to amount to anything in life.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's obviously mentally mature enough to play considering his change? Most adults don't even ask themselves "could i have won? no? oh well." and move on to the next match.

Nov 8, 2017
Yes, a fantasy battle royale game is teaching young emotionally abused kids to act out. Great observation.

Obviously sarcasm
The game is rated as suitable for players 13+ because of its violence and also warns of player to player interactions. A 7 year old kid shouldn't be playing Fortnite. And the aunt and uncle from the tweet don't address this correctly. They blame Ninja, find other streamers for the 7 year old to watch and continue to let the 7 year old play a game that is rated as suitable for teenagers. There are many other things the 7 year old should be doing with their free time... This is on the adults involved.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is rated as suitable for players 13+ because of its violence and also warns of player to player interactions. A 7 year old kid shouldn't be playing Fortnite,. And the aunt and uncle from the tweet don't address this correctly. They blame Ninja, find other streamers for the 7 year old to watch and continue to let the 7 year old play a game that is rated as suitable for teenagers. There are many other things the 7 year old should be doing with their free time... This is on the adults involved.

Nobody is blaming Ninja for being a raging manchild. They decided that his content was unsuited towards their nephew because of his past history dealing with his abusive father, and the idea of validating angry emotional outbursts.