• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Salient_Lion

Alright, I got my phone back on recently, which meant I was actually able to make calls again. I actually started with Nintendo's online text chat service to express my concerns and send the article linked above, and I was advised to call their general support hotline (1-800-255-3700 for those who don't have it on hand) directly. I forwarded the information to the first customer rep (in charge of general Switch hardware issues, since this is technically an issue that concerns general Switch hardware), who seemed legitimately aghast at the information, and they directed me to another customer rep. The other rep took notes of my information and redirected me to someone who I can only refer to as an "advisor." The advisor told me that the information I provided them (including a link to open documentation of Nintendo's involvement, as seen in this thread's predecessor: https://www.aspi.org.au/report/uyghurs-sale) would be sent up to their superiors for review. I should be getting back in touch with them for a possible update within a week's time, so we'll see how that pans out.

I'll call my Senators' offices tomorrow.

OP
OP
Salient_Lion

Salient_Lion

Dec 20, 2020
Salient_Lion

Alright, I got my phone back on recently, which meant I was actually able to make calls again. I actually started with Nintendo's online text chat service to express my concerns and send the article linked above, and I was advised to call their general support hotline (1-800-255-3700 for those who don't have it on hand) directly. I forwarded the information to the first customer rep (in charge of general Switch hardware issues, since this is technically an issue that concerns general Switch hardware), who seemed legitimately aghast at the information, and they directed me to another customer rep. The other rep took notes of my information and redirected me to someone who I can only refer to as an "advisor." The advisor told me that the information I provided them (including a link to open documentation of Nintendo's involvement, as seen in this thread's predecessor: https://www.aspi.org.au/report/uyghurs-sale) would be sent up to their superiors for review. I should be getting back in touch with them for a possible update within a week's time, so we'll see how that pans out.

Thank you for sticking with this. I hope something comes of it.

I haven't heard back from the email I've been sending to people at the companies in question, so I think this weekend I'll also try calling some support lines to discuss this with someone. Might have more luck making contact that way.

In other news, it looks like the UK parliament will be voting next week to declare whether China's government is committing genocide against the Uighur. Anyone from the UK reading this should write to their MP asap to tell them to support this (see the link in the OP for an easy way to contact your MP):

www.theguardian.com

Commons to vote on declaration of genocide in Xinjiang province

Organisers seek backing of two-thirds of MPs for all-party motion citing China’s treatment of Uyghurs

Hopefully the vote will pass and then the UK will join the US and Canada in making an official declaration of genocide.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
youtu.be

Defend the Uyghurs: Ramadan Update

Don't forget to Like, Comment, Subscribe and Share for more content inshaAllah. Email: [email protected]: https://www.facebook.com/subboor...

The UHRP is doing a live fundraising right now. They do hard work. Including presenting a bill to congress.They produced a report with the BBC, subsequently forcing politicians to take a stand (the EU, UK, US implemented some sanctions as a result). Please donate if you can.

Here is the donation page: https://www.launchgood.com/campaign/defend_the_uyghurs_this_ramadan_4#!/

Last edited:

leesmapman

Oct 27, 2017
N52.160114 E4.497010
Dutch journalist Tim Hofman has done a program called Pak De Macht (Seize the power) about China and its expansion plans, including the genocide on the Uyghurs. The day after, he did a youtube program about Nike not taking responsibility for the slave labour in China. In cooperation with Amnesty International he set up a petition for the Chinese embassy to pressure them to get into a dialogue.
www.amnesty.nl

Klop aan bij de Chinese ambassade!

Er moet een einde komen aan de onderdrukking van Oeigoeren

Oct 18, 2020
I like that the op mentions exactly what I was going to say.
I mean if we're being genuinely honest there is no ethical consumption under capitalism.

We can buy "Pro- insert oppressed group" shirts, straight from slave labor likely from the
oppressed minority group.

We can buy iphones or laptops or even gaming consoles which are primarily manufactured
through labor which is being completely and utterly unfairly compensated.
And it isn't just in China, think about parts of Africa and other countries where these
materials are being mined by children forced to do so, just so we can have cheaper
electronics !

I don't know if this post will "Get me in trouble" or anything but it's something to think about.
And I don't intend it to be a "Drive by post".

I'll check out the links though and I might even sign.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't see a separate thread for this and thought it was relevant:

www.cnn.com

UK lawmakers declare China's treatment of Uyghurs is genocide | CNN

British lawmakers have unanimously declared China's ongoing crackdown in Xinjiang a genocide, joining the United States, Canada and the Netherlands in condemning Beijing's actions against Uyghurs and other Muslim minorities in the far-west region in the strongest possible terms.

A good step and hopefully the first of many.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Salient_Lion

I made my update call to Nintendo today. I contacted the tech services rep and the consumer services line (425-882-2040) and both reps told me that my feedback had been sent to another department for review. Unless one of us is formally a part of a charity organization or corporation with a vested interest in this issue, this may be about as far as I can go, but I implore the rest of you to give Nintendo a call and express your concerns if you haven't already.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't see a separate thread for this and thought it was relevant:

www.cnn.com

UK lawmakers declare China's treatment of Uyghurs is genocide | CNN

British lawmakers have unanimously declared China's ongoing crackdown in Xinjiang a genocide, joining the United States, Canada and the Netherlands in condemning Beijing's actions against Uyghurs and other Muslim minorities in the far-west region in the strongest possible terms.

A good step and hopefully the first of many.

yep, it's not binding but hopefully this will help start putting the pressure on.

OP
OP
Salient_Lion

Salient_Lion

Dec 20, 2020
I've been speaking about this with Nintendo's customer support. The first agent I got sent me a canned response and I asked him to escalate the matter, stating I represented the 3000+ people who have signed the petition and want an answer. Another agent then told me the issue has been escalated as I requested and is being discussed by their management team and they'll be in touch with me.

That was last week. So either they have forgot or deleted my messages or are perhaps actually taking some time to think about this before responding. I'll chase them soon and keep persisting.

Will also speak with Microsoft and Sony and post updates.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Thank you for the update. It may be in our best interest to begin searching for charity organizations that have a focus on human rights on the Asian continent. Easier to get corporations' attention when there's some additional backing.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I've been speaking about this with Nintendo's customer support. The first agent I got sent me a canned response and I asked him to escalate the matter, stating I represented the 3000+ people who have signed the petition and want an answer. Another agent then told me the issue has been escalated as I requested and is being discussed by their management team and they'll be in touch with me.

That was last week. So either they have forgot or deleted my messages or are perhaps actually taking some time to think about this before responding. I'll chase them soon and keep persisting.

Will also speak with Microsoft and Sony and post updates.
This is cool. Keep us posted

OP
OP
Salient_Lion

Salient_Lion

Dec 20, 2020
No problem. I chased Nintendo earlier this week, and the case is still with their management team at present. I don't think they know what to do about it:

We do understand that it is taking some time for the case to be reviewed, so we would like to thank you for your patience thus far - please rest assured as we are working to get back to you with an update on the matter as soon as possible

Will continue to nag them until I have some sort of response that's not just a glib PR statement.

Sorpano00

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
User banned (permanent): Concern trolling around human rights, account in junior phase
Truth is, a gaming console shall cost 2000+ euros/dollars if built on properly waged labor force. People shall sign petitions, but be ready to pay the right price for commodities as well.

Thronazuug

Mar 30, 2019
Truth is, a gaming console shall cost 2000+ euros/dollars if built on properly waged labor force. People shall sign petitions, but be ready to pay the right price for commodities as well.
Thats not an excuse or the truth. But thanks for trying to scare away kids saying; "We need slaves otherwise you would pay 2000 for your toy! Think before demanding human rights".

Also low quality bait, likely from a burner account.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
[Check threadmarks for updates]

What's the problem?

For about a year now there has been an infrequently-active thread here on Era discussing the Uighur plight at the hands of the Chinese Communist Party. Check it out:

www.resetera.com

[BBC] In China, Uighurs 'moved into factory forced labour' for foreign brands Apple, Google, Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony

It was recommended that I cross post this from EtcetEra for awareness, particularly as we move towards a new generation of consoles. Letting people make informed decisions about where they're willing to put their money is the best thing anyone can do here. Here's the latest on the various...

In short, the CCP are arresting innocent Uighurs in Xinjiang and sending them to concentration camps for 're-education'. The scenes emerging from these camps evoke strong parallels to Nazi Germany, with people being shackled, shaved and loaded onto trains, accounts of forced sterilisation, systematic rape and many other torturous horrors.

This is a sustained effort to wipe out an entire people group – genocide.

Prisoners who the CCP deems suitable for reintegration into society are then shipped out from these camps to work for companies that provide labour for many popular brands, including Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo.

An important report from The Australian Strategic Policy Institute, published in back in March 2020, drew attention to the implication of these companies in this chain of slavery and genocide. Since the publication of this report nothing of note has been done to respond to the situation, and the gaming media have all but ignored the issue. This is not good enough.

Why this thread?

Many of us have been disheartened by the general apathy in the gaming community towards this issue, including on these message boards. Case in point: the aforementioned thread on Era dedicated to discussing this topic accumulated ~1060 posts in about one year, whereas the most recent Nintendo Direct thread received ~7500 posts in less than a week. These numbers speak to what people value most.

Look, I get it – this is a hideous situation and the majority of us want to pretend it doesn't exist because it produces acute feelings of pain and sadness that are hard to face up to, especially when we consider our own implication in this system as end users.

I'm not pointing the finger because I am guilty too. I own an Xbox Series X, knowing about this situation when I purchased it. For me, gaming is a social experience and an escape that I need in my life sometimes (especially during present times). I'm a hypocrite too, and I battle with cognitive dissonance over this frequently. This isn't about shaming people or blaming others, but simply to acknowledge the reality of the situation and the system that we are all implicated in.

Nevertheless, as no one else with a platform or authority in the gaming sector is doing anything about this situation it falls to us to do something about it.

What can I do about it?

You have two immediate options to choose from:

1. You can post a drive-by 'there's no ethical consumption under capitalism' meme and move on with your life.

OR

2. You can take a minute out of your day to add your name to a petition that will try to draw attention to the issue and get a proper response from Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. Ideally share it to your social media accounts too.

chng.it

Sign the Petition

Stop Uighur slave labour in PlayStation, Xbox and Switch manufacturing

The petition details the situation and demands Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo divest from suppliers identified in the ASPI report to use forced labour sourced from these camps. If enough of us sign up to it then we may be able to affect some sort of response from these companies.

We'll also need a way to get it before the major players and decision makers at these companies. I know that influential individuals within Xbox such as Stinkles from 343i and Major Nelson frequent these boards, so they might provide a route to Spencer and then Nadella at Microsoft. We will need people with contacts at Sony and Nintendo to step up too.

Again, this will all be dependent on the response the petition gets. If few people sign it and this thread gets buried then it won't make a difference, but I'm putting this out there in the hope that it will.

I want to do more. What else can I do?

1. The first point of call will be to contact your political representative about the issue. Obviously this will differ per country, but below is an evolving list of links to follow to quickly and easily contact your representative. If your country is not on this list, please PM me with details and I will add it:

2. Next, you can contact the companies directly to express your concern. Simply click one of the following mailto links to automatically generate an email addressed to a number of relevant people at these companies. Feel free to modify the placeholder text as you see fit:

3. Stop buying products from these companies. This provides a direct way to impact their business until they agree to complete divestment from the firms identified in the ASPI report. Instead, consider playing through your existing backlog, or buy second-hand, out-of-production consoles and retro games.

4. Donate to charities that work for lobbying and individual relief. LordHuffnPuff has identified a few charities that are worth your consideration, but please be aware that this is not an endorsement. Investigate any organisation yourself before donating:

[This section will be updated over time]
I just reread this again. We may want to edit Stinkles' name out of the OP, given they haven't been an active member here since last year.

EDIT: I tried contacting Sony's customer support today, I was advised by the agent to contact one of the people on this page: https://www.sony.com/en_us/SCA/contacts/overview.html.

I sent an email to Lisa Gephardt ([email protected]) and CC'd [email protected] and the PlayStation email ([email protected]).

Last edited:

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
spam musubi Thank you for asking. And thanks to Jason Schreier for providing a response.

It may fall to us to demonstrate to organizations like Bloomberg that there is a consumer interest in hearing and seeing more investigatory work done.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
spam musubi Thank you for asking. And thanks to Jason Schreier for providing a response.

It may fall to us to demonstrate to organizations like Bloomberg that there is a consumer interest in hearing and seeing more investigatory work done.

It shouldn't have to though. Newsrooms should use their platform as a megaphone and try to shine a spotlight on these atrocities. But a company like Bloomberg probably has journalists living in China. Perhaps the editors are worried about the them.

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017
I just reread this again. We may want to edit Stinkles' name out of the OP, given they haven't been an active member here since last year.

EDIT: I tried contacting Sony's customer support today, I was advised by the agent to contact one of the people on this page: https://www.sony.com/en_us/SCA/contacts/overview.html.

I sent an email to Lisa Gephardt ([email protected]) and CC'd [email protected] and the PlayStation email ([email protected]).

I believe those three accounts are also in my pre-formatted email links. FWIW I also sent them another message asking that they take the time to respond to this issue and that I cannot in good conscience continue to be a consumer of their products without having this addressed. That's my third email in two months, though, so I'm not exactly holding out much hope that they intend to respond.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
It seems we're approaching similar obstacles. Thanks for trying nonetheless.

I'll check to see if Jim Sterling ever got their social media accounts uncompromised tomorrow. If so, we might be able to send something to them.

TomekRookiez

May 5, 2021
Warsaw
Don't you think it's a bit pointless to try fighting with this? The problem is, as always, with money - big companies buy those parts from China because it's cheap. If they decide (for whatever reason) to switch to other sources, the prices of components will have to go up, which in turn means a rise in the price of the hardware. In this situation they'll have only two options:

1. Accept the fact that they earn less money / have a loss on hardware (which they won't accept, let's face it)
2. Rise the price for the end-user, which will affect the sales and <see point 1>

So I believe the first step should be to convince users the price increase is worth it. Maybe an outreach to the influencers could be a good starting point? Don't know really.

Thronazuug

Mar 30, 2019
Don't you think it's a bit pointless to try fighting with this? The problem is, as always, with money - big companies buy those parts from China because it's cheap. If they decide (for whatever reason) to switch to other sources, the prices of components will have to go up, which in turn means a rise in the price of the hardware. In this situation they'll have only two options:

1. Accept the fact that they earn less money / have a loss on hardware (which they won't accept, let's face it)
2. Rise the price for the end-user, which will affect the sales and <see point 1>

So I believe the first step should be to convince users the price increase is worth it. Maybe an outreach to the influencers could be a good starting point? Don't know really.
This is absolutely a misinformation, good intentions or not.
It's hard to believe honestly somebody can think this is true. No company ever thought that, if we raise our profit we will stop heionus human rights violations.

It was the same sinister misinformation with crunch. Game prices raised but crunch continues.

The only way to stop that rightfully put their brand into the mud. The only thing companies care more than profit is brand and PR.
So Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo and Bloomberg (by being completely silent) should know their brand is involved with slavery and genocide unless they take action.

No "raise the price so they consider not to benefit from /turn blind eye to slavery and genocide" bullshit please.

OP
OP
Salient_Lion

Salient_Lion

Dec 20, 2020
I did finally hear back from my MP, who I wrote to last month. She seems to have supported the recent vote in the UK to officially declare the Chinese government's actions as genocide (which is what I asked her to do), and seems very open to continuing to raise this issue in the House of Commons and support votes for further sanctions. I'd really encourage anyone reading this to do the same and contact your representative. It's a bipartisan issue, and generating political will is probably the best way to push back against this, as trying to get a response out of these corporations is like getting blood from a stone.

Still not heard back from Nintendo. I will keep chasing.

Thank you for your persistence. I've held off, but it's time I get to work contacting Sony and Microsoft this weekend.

EDIT: Did we ever get an update on this story about Sudworth?:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-56586655

Looks like he'll be continuing his work form a safer location. This was the last thing I could find about him:

Thanks – I'll remove him.

I contacted these people from Sony last month, but haven't heard anything back either.

I contacted a host of media outlets a little while ago, and I think Bloomberg was one of them. I introduced myself as the person responsible for organising the petion and linked to it, with the intention that it might help show there would be some interest in an article. Again, nothing. I think I'll try Bloomberg again though, and quote the Schreier post. If there's some evidence of interest from consumers (which the petition helps show), and some willingness from a journalist to write about it, then they should really make something happen.

It seems we're approaching similar obstacles. Thanks for trying nonetheless.

I'll check to see if Jim Sterling ever got their social media accounts uncompromised tomorrow. If so, we might be able to send something to them.

Good idea – would be great if you could contact them. Thanks for sticking with this idea.

There's been a persistent question about games journalism's lack of coverage of this matter. I asked in Jason Schreier's AMA here, you can see my question and his answer: https://www.resetera.com/threads/im...ss-reset-ask-me-anything.417546/post-64692929

Thank you for doing this. A bit of a disappointing response from Schreier, as I don't see how 'flying out to China' to interview people is required to start a discussion on the topic.

I believe those three accounts are also in my pre-formatted email links. FWIW I also sent them another message asking that they take the time to respond to this issue and that I cannot in good conscience continue to be a consumer of their products without having this addressed. That's my third email in two months, though, so I'm not exactly holding out much hope that they intend to respond.

I used your links last month too (thanks again), and also have not heard anything in response. I wonder if going through the user support channels and being really persistent and asking to escalate the issue might be a way forwards?

That's not our concern. It's not the consumers' responsibility to show these companies that they can still make money if they stop indirectly aiding literal genocide. They need to cease relationships with partners found to be using slave labour and figure out how to please their shareholders afterwards.

TomekRookiez

May 5, 2021
Warsaw
No company ever thought that, if we raise our profit we will stop heionus human rights violations.

True, but I didn't say that. I mean: if the companies stop buying hardware parts from China, they'll need to buy it elsewhere, for a bigger price, which will affect the final prices of the products (to compensate the loss on the costs of these parts).

The only way to stop that rightfully put their brand into the mud. The only thing companies care more than profit is brand and PR.

It's also true, and that's why I said it might have better chances for success if you reach influencers than these company's representatives.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
True, but I didn't say that. I mean: if the companies stop buying hardware parts from China, they'll need to buy it elsewhere, for a bigger price, which will affect the final prices of the products (to compensate the loss on the costs of these parts).

It's also true, and that's why I said it might have better chances for success if you reach influencers than these company's representatives.

It doesn't have to. In the age of digital and subscriptions they can sell at a loss and subsidize it with all of that cash. Instead they are running around pointing at their record profits while remaining as quiet as a church mouse on the atrocities their business fuels.

TomekRookiez

May 5, 2021
Warsaw
(...) In the age of digital and subscriptions they can sell at a loss and subsidize it with all of that cash.

But remember that their goal as a company (which is 100% understandable) is not to break even, but to maximize the profit. If some part of the business leads to loss, they'll want to compensate it (by rising the prices) or just cut out this nonprofitable branch. They have no reason to consume the profit on balancing the loss on hardware.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
But remember that their goal as a company (which is 100% understandable) is not to break even, but to maximize the profit. If some part of the business leads to loss, they'll want to compensate it (by rising the prices) or just cut out this nonprofitable branch. They have no reason to consume the profit on balancing the loss on hardware.

They usually do at launch or when a console experiences a slowdown in sales. This hasn't become a PR quagmire yet for tech companies or even dented their sales. Change won't come the perpetrators and the producers are just going to the suppliers with earplugs and blinders on so they can sell to the consumer for a good price. The press needs to continue to raise awareness and not be distracted by the new and shiny. They should elevate companies with ethical practices and interview lawmakers on their take so even if they can't go there themselves they can talk to someone who can or has the ability to gather information by other means.

Last edited:

Thronazuug

Mar 30, 2019
Can you please, not? They would sell products/consoles for 10.000 dollars and still would exploit slave labor and benefit from genocide if the could get away with it.
We already saw false premise of raising game prices to reduce mtx or stop crunch. That propaganda resulted with prices getting higher and not stopping mtx or crunch at all. The industry actually manage to benefit more from people's good will to stop crunch (if i remember some game journalists help that propaganda drum.

Please stop with that false premise. Only way for them care is to hurt them in the brand.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
I'm going to send a message to an industry journalist tomorrow asking if they can inquire about/report on the situation.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
The announcement of new switch hardware being around the corner seems like a good time to be talking about this again

OP
OP
Salient_Lion

Salient_Lion

Dec 20, 2020
I finally heard back from Nintendo's support manager about this situation. They refused to acknowledge the ASPI report and tried to generalise the matter:

Nintendo support management said:
Thank you for your patience while we reviewed this case.

We would like to reassure you that through our own monitoring processes of our supply chain, no situation has ever been found that would constitute a violation of human rights, nor have we ever found any instances of forced labour. We've also conducted repeated investigations and discussions about forced labour, reconfirming that all our supply partners understand and continue to adhere to our requirements.

Years ago we implemented our CSR procurement guidelines, which we share with all of our first-tier suppliers and to which they must agree. These guidelines are a collection of specific requirements on important issues like human rights, sustainability, and ethical procurement. Forced labour of all kinds is included in the "Prohibit Forced Labor" section of these guidelines.

If we ever were to discover a serious risk of forced labour at the time of evaluation, we would immediately cease doing business with the applicable company. Furthermore, if any instances of forced labour of any kind are discovered, our policy is to cease business transactions for manufacturing and procurement.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us on this topic

I expected as much to be honest, but it's opened a line of dialogue and I intend to keep responding and escalating until I can speak to someone with more authority and oversight.

Persistently nagging Nintendo like this does take up a not-insignificant amount of time, so I wonder if someone else wants to try and do the same with Sony or Microsoft?

I've contacted the journalist (Patrick Klepek of Vice; public contact email: [email protected]). I'll see if they respond.

Worth a shot. I contacted these outlets a couple of months ago but never heard back:

- Eurogamer
- Kotaku
- Polygon
- Destructoid
- Game Informer

I also contacted Jim Stephanie Sterling about this last week too. Will let you know if they're interested in picking up this for their channel, or having some sort of dialogue.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I finally heard back from Nintendo's support manager about this situation. They refused to acknowledge the ASPI report and tried to generalise the matter:

I expected as much to be honest, but it's opened a line of dialogue and I intend to keep responding and escalating until I can speak to someone with more authority and oversight.

Persistently nagging Nintendo like this does take up a not-insignificant amount of time, so I wonder if someone else wants to try and do the same with Sony or Microsoft?

Worth a shot. I contacted these outlets a couple of months ago but never heard back:

- Eurogamer
- Kotaku
- Polygon
- Destructoid
- Game Informer

I also contacted Jim Stephanie Sterling about this last week too. Will let you know if they're interested in picking up this for their channel, or having some sort of dialogue.

That's a result and it's better than nothing! Well done. It's at least nice know they have the will.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
I'll check in on Microsoft.

EDIT: An email has been sent to their Office of Legal Compliance. I'll update the thread if I get a reply of note back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Salient_Lion

Salient_Lion

Dec 20, 2020
I'll check in on Microsoft.

EDIT: An email has been sent to their Office of Legal Compliance. I'll update the thread if I get a reply of note back.

Nice – thanks. Hopefully you hear something back. I think one of the advantages of going through the regular support channels is that you are more likely to receive a response, even if it takes a long time to escalate the issue to someone with any real authority or oversight. If you do get a response, don't let them fob you off. Much appreciated.

Can anyone else do the same for Sony? Use this link to connect to PlayStation live chat and then try to get an email address for someone, and then continue to be persistent and escalate and don't put up with attempts to dismiss the issue.

When communicating with Nintendo, I've tried to keep bringing their generalisations and PR-friendly responses back to the ASPI report and the specific claims made therein. For example, here's what I sent to one of the Nintendo manager's more recent attempt to resolve my concerns without really addressing the situation specifically:

Thank you for your response.

Whilst I understand you claim that Nintendo has not found any human rights abuses in its supply chains, this claim is at odds with the evidence presented in the ASPI report I linked you to in my initial email. I note you do not address this report in your response.

The ASPI is a non-partisan organisation that informs Australian (and global) government on matters of policy. It was established but the Australian government and has exceptionally high professional standards.

Page 34 of the report claims that one of Nintendo's partners (Hubei Yihong Precision Manufacturing Co. Ltd –
a subsidiary of Dongguan Yidong Electronic Co. Ltd) made use of 105 forced Uighur labourers in 2018. Evidence is provided to support these claims. Further, page 36 claims that 560 forced Xinjiang workers were transferred to work in factories in central Henan province, including another of Nintendo's partners (Foxconn Technology), in late 2019. Again evidence is provided to support these claims.

I have attached the full ASPI report to this message.

Please can you inform me how your earlier statement (quoted below) fits with the evidence provided in the ASPI report I linked you to earlier and that I specifically highlight in this message?

"If we ever were to discover a serious risk of forced labour at the time of evaluation, we would immediately cease doing business with the applicable company. Furthermore, if any instances of forced labour of any kind are discovered, our policy is to cease business transactions for manufacturing and procurement."

From your statement, it would appear you infer that the claims in the ASPI report do not amount to "a serious risk of forced labour"? Is this correct? If not, what action is Nintendo taking to respond to the serious claims (and evidence) detailed in the ASPI report?

I appreciate this may not be a question you are able to answer, so please can you forward this message to someone with oversight in this area who will be able to give a satisfactory answer to my questions, and also a direct response to the claims laid out in the ASPI report that clarifies Nintendo's position in relation it? Please let me know when I can expect a response.

I hope to hear back from you soon, confirming when I can expect a full response to the questions I, and the > 3000 signatories of the petition I represent, have about this very concerning matter.

Kind regards,

Which seems to have forced the issue further up the chain:

Nintendo managment said:
Thank you for getting back to us.

We understand the importance of this matter, and as such we will review the contents of your latest e-mail and get back to you with a reply as soon as possible.

Feel free to use as a template and adapt if helpful.

Skyzar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This article is a while old and not specifically related to how this involves forced labour but if anyone was is still sceptical of what was going on:

www.theguardian.com

Twitter removes China US embassy post saying Uighur women no longer 'baby-making machines'

Post claimed women in Xinjiang had been ‘emancipated’ as a result of China’s claimed efforts to eradicate extremism

Whenever I see a group referred to as "baby-making machines" alarm bells start ringing. And this was by the Chinese US Embassy.

Deleted member 48201

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2018
Cross posting this from EtcetEra. It's a very detailed report of what's happening to the Uyghurs in Xinjiang.

www.resetera.com

"I think the purpose [of the classes] was to destroy our religion and to assimilate us…" Amnesty report on Xinjiang Internment

The report can be read here: https://xinjiang.amnesty.org/#case-SR033 The atrocities being committed by the CCP in Xinjiang are terrible. The hate and atrocious acts people are capable of is very depressing. I don't know what can be done to stop these horrible acts but the world can't stand by...