• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Scrobbles

Oct 25, 2017

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Nice. I'll finish season 1 at some point. Got distracted a few episodes in and haven't had the time to continue.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Yes! Did not expect this show to have so much heart. Loved Season 1.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
favorite-thing-our-flag-means-death.gif

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
My partner was 100% convinced they'd announce season 2 today for Pride, and they were correct. Great show, so I'm thrilled to see it continue.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Hell, fucking yes. This show turned out to be a true delight, and I absolutely need more Stede in my life.

SpaceUI

Oct 31, 2017
YES. Love to see this kind of representation. Didn't think they'd wait until pride month.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How good was this?

Early reviews and word I saw seemed mixed to negative, but looks like a lot of people really liked it.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
How good was this?

Early reviews and word I saw seemed mixed to negative, but looks like a lot of people really liked it.
I was watching along with the premier and each episode drop with no expectations, just something genre-silly to fill the gap of WWDitS, and before a fandom developed after it became obvious that the show was queer and earnest, no baiting. Any general audience reactions to the 3-episode premiere have no bearing on what the season would be by the end (rom-com/dramedy) and why a fandom would ultimately assemble.

First few episodes aren't great, but around episode 4 it becomes legitimately amazing. Funny and heartfelt and extremely gay
Yup, everyone should at least watch up until episode 4 to see the rapport between Stede and Blackbeard.

And those initial pre-Blackbeard episodes are perfect upon a rewatch, being able to pick up on the foreshadowing and themes in the phenomenal writing by David Jenkins. First 3 episodes really build up Stede's yearning that we now understand is romantic too, not just the fantasy of a life at sea as a particular type of man, which is cute if you were invested in the relationship-aspect of the show. I think the whole ensemble shines in those initial episodes upon a rewatch knowing how they'll be fleshed out later.

The Izzy actor, Con O'Neill, is the number 1 champion of the show and the fandom of socials - check him out. I can't help but love his abrasive character after being charmed by the actor's engagement with the fandom.

Therion

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to get excited when I thought it had already been renewed. But I'm still very much looking forward to watching!

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Absolutely wonderful hopeful show, and very very LGBT

Also if you like Monkey Island style humor this show is chockful

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
How good was this?

The first 3 episodes are not good, we actually stopped watching after episode 2 and only after a few friends told us to stick with it, we kept going. It gets better. I still don't think the show is that great, the production values are really abysmally bad compared to what I consider the "gold standard" of pirate shows, Black Sails, but this is a comedy so you have to make some allowances I guess. Most of the time the show feels like its on a theatrical stage.

It definitely ramps up the humor and "character stories" after episodes 3 or 4. In many ways it reminds me of The Office or P&R, the first few episodes of those shows were not good but once they hit their stride they got a lot better, this show feels a bit similar and I'm curious to see if season 2 will improve dramatically.

LogicAirForce

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking finally! easily one of the best shows in recent memory. Bet they specifically waited for Pride month to announce it lmao