• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, despite all the console warring and aggression across the internet in regards to these two consoles, all of the information we've gathered so far have met or surpassed nearly everyone's wildest imaginations.
  • Both consoles are 10+ TF
  • Both consoles have SSD drives
  • Both consoles have desktop-class CPUs
  • Both consoles are completely gaming focused
  • Both consoles have a ton of talented first party studios and rumored games
  • Both consoles have backwards compatibility
  • Both consoles have 4K UHD drives
And then yes, each of the consoles have unique features that seperate themselves from the other:
  • Xbox Series X has very wide and robust Backwards Compatibility across multiple generations
  • PS5 has the fastest consumer-grade SSD ever made
  • Xbox Series X has xCloud and Game Pass
  • PS5 has PS Now
  • Xbox Series X allows you to bring nearly all of your Xbox One accessories with you to Series X
  • PS5 has an ambitious and futuristic new controller
  • Xbox Series X has Smart Delivery
  • Playstation has incredible first party games, and PS5 remains the platform to beat for exclusives looking into next gen

I'm just so thrilled about next generation. It's not like last generation where consoles were held back by Jaguar CPUs, didn't have proper backwards compatibility, were forcing unwanted accessories like Kinect, were generally pretty underpowered even at launch etc...

With this upcoming generation, everything is shaping up to be pretty much as perfect as one can realistically expect, with JUST enough differentiation and contrast in philosophy to make both consoles interesting in very different and unique ways.

I CAN'T WAIT! Who's with me?

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017
Seriously, despite all the console warring and aggression across the internet in regards to these two consoles, all of the information we've gathered so far have met or surpassed nearly everyone's wildest imaginations.
And then yes, each of the consoles have unique features that seperate themselves from the other:
  • Xbox Series X has very wide and robust Backwards Compatibility across multiple generations
  • PS5 has PS Now
  • Xbox Series X allows you to bring nearly all of your Xbox One accessories with you to Series X
  • Playstation as incredible first party games, and PS5 remains the platform to beat for exclusives looking into next gen

I'm just so thrilled about next generation. It's not like last generation where consoles were held back by Jaguar CPUs, didn't have proper backwards compatibility, were forcing unwanted accessories like Kinect, were generally pretty underpowered even at launch etc...

With this upcoming generation, everything is shaping up to be pretty much as perfect as one can realistically expect, with JUST enough differentiation and contrast in philosophy to make both consoles interesting in very different and unique ways.

Hell yes, this just means that multiplatform releases on PC will be just as incredible if not better! Can't wait for next-gen!

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
We just have to stay alive until they release.

This
giphy.gif

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Personally the only big takeaway for me about next gen is that it's just happening.

Oct 28, 2019
Good point. I still have a preference for the console I will buy first, but this should be the best generation competition ever. I hope success is measured by games and features and nothing else.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
"It's Going To Be Incredible"
Isn't thet the perception every time a new gen arrives?
I mean of course, OP is just stating how we've got good things to look forward to.

It really is true though, there's not much to fanboy about this time, although I know people still discuss the SSD/teraflops

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a fucking with you OP

This is a leap we desperately need and oh man will it be nice to have the QOL features the most

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I'm super excited, I think this gen is going to end up being the most important ever, I thought last gen was but I think this gen decides where gaming goes for the next 50 years. Will streaming take over, what happens with vr, where is Microsoft at the end of this gen in terms of IP, is this the last Sony or Nintendo console hardware gen. Will gaming sub services take over, will AAA become to big and crumble in, what random way will publishers find to make more money like online passes, lootboxes, etc. So many questions will be answered here.

Gaming is more diverse and better then ever and every one is in a place to go bigger and be better.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really, no. With Xbox One, there was a lot of worry about Microsoft's vision, a lot of disdain over Kinect, and a lot of people put off by the asking price. And then both consoles were considered kind of ho-hum in GPU performance and downright disappointing in CPU choice.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

I don't know that I agree with this. The last 2 gens have been talked down in some ways. Last gen there was little excitement for the Xbox one and MS seemed to be fucking everything up. That plus I remember both consoles being talked down as not being THAT advanced. This gen the consoles seem to be more cutting edge.

The gen before that was worse. I remember the 360 being called the Xbox 1.5 and both the Xbox and PS3 had detractors about a range of issues.

This gen both MS and Sony seem to be making a lot of right moves and both sets of HW seem extremely advanced. Things feel a lot different this time.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Yeah, man. The industry is booming & the incoming tech is supremely exciting across the board. Series X, PS5 and the inevitable Switch 2 all are poised to be incredible machines.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
I mean it all looks incredible but it's all about software and I haven't got a good enough picture of what all of it means just yet. Like, Godfall for example, legitimately just looks like a PS4Pro generic action title. I know there will be better things but I need to see how this impacts me more clearly. I'm hoping that part isn't too far in the distance. A lovely next gen showcase is what we need. Probably next month, if not then, June.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Hardware doesn't mean shit if the games aren't worth a damn and neither MS or Sony has done much for me this gen. I've spent more time playing legacy software this generation than in any previous.

I am becoming a sour old man, though.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it all looks incredible but it's all about software and I haven't got a good enough picture of what all of it means just yet. Like, Godfall for example, legitimately just looks like a PS4Pro generic action title. I know there will be better things but I need to see how this impacts me more clearly. I'm hoping that part isn't too far in the distance. A lovely next gen showcase is what we need. Probably next month, if not then, June.
As excited as I am to see software, remember that early gen software isn't particularly indicative of what next-gen is going to look like any way. Sure, we might have a few tentpole launch games that show off next-gen tech like Ryse or Killzone Shadowfall from last gen, but we aren't going to see what these new consoles are fully capable of for at least another 2-3 years.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
To me the best thing about next gen is the speeds.

Some people have less time to play than usual and loading times, boot times etc all those seconds, minutes adds up wasted time that could have been spent playing instead get more done

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To me the best thing about next gen is the speeds.

Some people have less time to play than usual and loading times, boot times etc all those seconds wasted can add up and lead to more gameplay time
Yes! And not just the speeds, either. The ability to switch between multiple games without having to close out of and reopen each game is going to be HUGE for me. It'll be sooo nice to be able to switch back and forth between Madden and Call of Duty or whatever in seconds.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
One year into the current gen, I bought a Wii U, because the eye blistering teraflops shooting consoles didn't have shit to play on and were collecting dust in my cupboard. So that OP has me very unimpressed. Where are the games, these things should release 6 months from now, and we've only seen one extremely basick hero shooter nobody wants.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
What no one should lose sight of is that both systems rival the top of the line graphics cards released in 2019. That's better than what PS4/XB1 brought to the table, and should mean that we have a very good step up and a great baseline for devs to target. It should definitely be an exciting gen, especially with AI techniques appearing on the scene and with ray tracing features being introduced into the baseline of development.

And the SSDs will make the games just that much better, it's going to be lit!

Where are the games, these things should release 6 months from now, and we've only seen one extremely basick hero shooter.
Which game is that?

Games will come in the next two months.

Tends to happen more often with console releases that games are only revealed in the run-up to, and during, E3...

KindlyUnsteadyBass-max-1mb.gif

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
More things to add.

-Ea just releasedtheir biggest SP game of the generation(Jedi), and their lowest GAAS game of the generation(Anthem). Which should resolidify the importance of SP games going into next gen.
-Ubisoft flopped Breakpoint hard, and as a result, is focusing to make sure that every game they release is unique and strong.
-Warner Bros is primed to release an array of games for ips like Harry Potter that have never seen a AAA game, as well as sequels to DC properties.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
  • PS5 has PS Now
  • Playstation as incredible first party games, and PS5 remains the platform to beat for exclusives looking into next gen

The desktop class CPU will allow for SO much more. Keep this in mind when you're playing TLoU 2/RDR 2 on your PS4/PS4 Pros.

The SSD enhancements just boost everything further.

I can't wait to retire my PS4 Pro and just run games on the PS5. I've been also missing out on seeing my movies directly on UHD in highest bitrate form.

We were already pretty much at a point of diminishing returns in terms of graphics, but these powerful consoles will be able to push detail and have much more going in terms of animations, physics, and lighting.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Yes, and I would add :
  • Indies are at their best
  • AA games are back here
  • Japan games are back too

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One year into the current gen, I bought a Wii U, because the eye blistering teraflops shooting consoles didn't have shit to play on and were collecting dust in my cupboard. So that OP has me very unimpressed. Where are the games, these things should release 6 months from now, and we've only seen one extremely basick hero shooter nobody wants.
This past generation has provided a ton of the best games ever made. And both console platforms are 100% focused on games looking forward. So I don't think we have to worry much about content with next-gen.

Oct 27, 2017
Next gen has such huge potential its insane. I'm so glad that we have a possibility of such a high baseline spec and that the architectures and tools are have never been so powerful or developer-friendly.

I am extremely excited about what that will enable over the next 7-10 years.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More things to add.

-Ea just releasedtheir biggest SP game of the generation(Jedi), and their lowest GAAS game of the generation(Anthem). Which should resolidify the importance of SP games going into next gen.
-Ubisoft flopped Breakpoint hard, and as a result, is focusing to make sure that every game they release is unique and strong.
-Warner Bros is primed to release an array of games for ips like Harry Potter that have never seen a AAA game, as well as sequels to DC properties.
Great points! Plus, we know Horizon 2 is coming, we know God of War 2 is coming, we know The Witcher 4 is coming, we know GTA VI is coming, we know Elder Scrolls VI and Starfield are coming, etc.. etc.. Sooo many games to look forward to already and next gen hasn't even started yet.

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA

This is my thought. I haven't seen anything that makes me want to go out and buy the tech yet.

I was both a PS3 and PS4 launch buyer, and bought a One at the tail end of its first year when Sunset Overdrive came out. But to me, the current generation has been a step backwards. In the days of the PS3 and 360 we were getting quality games from studios regularly, often on an interval of every two years. A generation before that, Insomniac was putting out quality games on a yearly basis. Now a lot of games are taking 5+ years to develop. Look at how many blockbuster trilogies we got on this generation compared to the last generation. (Have we even got any?)

On the PS4 side of things, Knack is leading the pack with 2 games, and it's Knack. There have been some phenomenal games like Horizon, and God of War, and (in my opinion) The Order: 1886. But developing new IPs has become far more time consuming, and sequels don't look to be much better.

It used to be that I played quite a few AAA games and sprinkled indie games in between the gaps. Now my catalog of AAA games is shrinking with each generation. I'm pretty much playing indie games 90% of the time and occasionally picking up a AAA game. And most indies don't need fancy tech, or even consoles. Sure they'll benefit as well, but they're designed quite differently from something like The Last of Us: Part II.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Yes, and I would add :
  • Indies are at their best
  • AA games are back here
  • Japan games are back too
Everything the OP said, plus this, plus the fact that Nintendo is also doing gangbusters right now pretty much doing their own thing makes me very hopeful for gaming over the next many years. Things seem to be in a really good place right now for gaming (aside from some lingering issues like AAA crunch), but I think things are much better off now than they were at the launch of last gen, for example.