• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
So in the time of Coronavirus, birthdays for kids suck. You can't have friends over, you can't go anywhere with them, and you can't do fun things.

well our local movie theater has been trying to drum up ways to keep their screens bringing in money. One of the things is you can rent it for personal use. Three hours or one movie whichever is longer.

you have to wear masks the whole time (understandable), and no snacks or anything, but it is absolutely insane. The staff just opened the door, let us walk in after cleaning it and told us where the hdmi cord and electrical was. You take it from there.

we played smash first, followed by Mario kart. Just Good family time.

I2zQco7_d.webp

RxVEztT_d.webp

Still can't have friends in there, but just something, anything, to make his day a little more normal.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah my local theaters had that option available too. I think they allowed food maybe but it seems best for a family group doing a birthday. I think it was about $200 or so.

Probably the only time in your life you could afford to rent a movie theater though.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Aww, that's adorable. Glad you got to do something fun for your kids birthday. I would be so excited to play Smash on a massive screen!

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
For $100, I would do this. As far as I can tell, my local cinema charges more and makes you pick from their list of films (you can't just plug in and watch/play what you want)

SpecDot

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My friend did this for his daughter for her bday recently. We were allowed snacks and drinks. And there were a lot of kids. My boys had an amazing time. We were all socially distanced of course. New Jersey by the way.

Jan 10, 2018
During my collage years me and my friends hosted a big LAN event called Nitroxy. We managed to rent a movie theater that was in the same building. I completed a french copy of Halo 2 with a friend in co-op, and we also played a lot of Donkey Konga. Some really good memories!

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
That is very cool. I remember going to see a film (no idea what it was now) around the time Skyrim came out, and they showed the game trailer before the film started. Since then I've always wanted to play Skyrim on a gigantic cinema screen.

Do it for me, OP. Let me live vicariously through you.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember wishing movie theatres would offer this service as a kid. It's cool that it has been an option in recent years.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
That is really cool. My local theaters are renting out rooms, but you have to choose from a selection of movies. Wish we could rent it out and watch whatever we want

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
complete off topic side story:

I would take selfies and post on facebook whenever I was watching a movie and we were the only ones in the theater (early, selective camera angle, unpopular, old movie, etc) and post saying I rented out the theater to watch it. personally had to change my post wording when I found out my uncle thought for years I was rich and actually renting out movie theaters to watch a movie

anyways. $100 for 3 hours sounds neat, I'd consider it even in these corona times