• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Idea Factory International will release Fuukaden for the PS4 and Switch later this year, same for Aksys and Bouquet of Rainbows for the Switch.

Apparently the Cendrillion title was originally announced as a PS Vita title, but that mention is now gone from its website according to Gemastu.

Still hoping for the best.

Deleted member 4434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well honestly I'd rather they continue on Switch than PS4. Still I'm sad they seem to be replacing the Vita, really love that handheld. As for the Switch, I already have the XBO that I use as the main platform for games, so I'm not exactly thrilled to get a second only for otoge and a future Animal Crossing.

I really hope Nintendo will make a cheaper, handheld only (aka not on TV) Switch version.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
That would be pretty neat, I mostly use my PS4 and then my 3DS if I'm away from home or not on my tv. Unfortunately I had to sell my vita early last year, couldn't really play it for very long as my hands cramped up badly soon after I'd play it so mostly used PSTV. Switch, in what little I've used of it in handheld mode hasn't made my hands cramp much. Hopefully they'll continue to support PS4 going forward though too.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
That would be pretty neat, I mostly use my PS4 and then my 3DS if I'm away from home or not on my tv. Unfortunately I had to sell my vita early last year, couldn't really play it for very long as my hands cramped up badly soon after I'd play it so mostly used PSTV. Switch, in what little I've used of it in handheld mode hasn't made my hands cramp much. Hopefully they'll continue to support PS4 going forward though too.

A year after saying they're moving to PS4 and only bothering with shoddy ports, Otomate gave up on it. Really inspires confidence in their sudden Switch focus.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Unless several titles get anounced soon, their current PS4 support is pretty poor. Only five releases, several being ports/combo packs, compared to the amount just announced for the Switch.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Unless several titles get anounced soon, their current PS4 support is pretty poor. Only five releases, several being ports/combo packs, compared to the amount just announced for the Switch.

Compared to what was announced today for the Switch (list from HoL thread):

• Hakuoki Shinkai: Fuukaden
  • Code: Realize ~Bouquet of Rainbows~
  • Cendrillon palikA
  • Nil Admirari no Tenbin: Irodori Nadeshiko
  • An untitled new Hakuoki game
  • LoverPretend – The latest game from director Ichijoo. Keywords include pretend love, choice, effort, ideals, growth, actors, reality, dreams, setbacks, and friends.
  • Birushanah Senki: Genpeiden – A collaboration title with Red Entertainment, featuring character designs by Kouji Haneda.
  • Shiritsu Versailles Gakuen – A The Rose of Versailles school life story.
  • Sengoku Night Blood
  • Amnesia
  • Norne + Nonette
  • Reine des Fleurs

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realize the PS4 support was as bleak as it is, sad to hear. Guess I just got excited over one of my most anticipated releases getting a combo pack release for PS4 and assumed. I know the market isn't really there for the console it seems but I definitely would support it if they gave the releases. Thank you both!

Speaking of Code: Realize PS4 I didn't get to order it when the tweet was posted here the other day but it seems have went done a few more dollars too and currently $27.14. Went ahead and did it now as with my $10 credit was only $18 after taxes and can't complain at all for that price!

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, given how well the Switch is selling in Japan it's not surprising that they'd, uh, switch to it. Particularly because it's a handheld too, and so arguably there might be more of the Vita-having otome-playing audience heading there vs the PS4.

I think I'll always prefer the Vita for VNs given the screen and the more comfortable size, but I'm happy there's at least a handheld they'll be supporting going forward.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
If I can play these on my Switch as a tablet without the joy-cons, even better.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really can't play VNs on the PS4. I already find it to be a hassle to play other RPGs on it (just thinking about how much better it'd be if it I could play it in bed).

I have the same issue with VNs on PC (though I'm looking into replacing it with a small laptop). Just find it very uncomfortable in comparison to handhelds.

I welcome Otomate's Switch focus with open arms. I'm glad the Switch is sucessful, I was so worried that VNs would only be on PS4 once the Vita dies.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017

That's more than just testing, that's committing lol, they're basically porting everything they can across.

I wonder if that means their PS4 ports didn't do as well as they'd hoped, given they seemed to be making strides on that console a while ago.

Shame for them cancelling Vita support in favour of this, wondered if it was going to co-exist with wherever the genre ends up like PSP did with Vita.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope they hoover up some of the leftover otomate games on Vita.

And also they pick up Side Kicks. I've no idea how, but I need that game.

I'd sacrifice people for Side Kicks, Clock Zero and Tierblade.

I do wonder what they'll announce at AX. Maybe they'll bring over fandiscs and/or vita games which are getting ported to switch. Meaning we could get Nil Admirari, Reine and perhaps Shinobi Koi Utsutsu which has a ps4 port. Would be a little disappointing though.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Would love to see them announce Collar X Malice Unlimited on the Vita side at least, though I will buy just about any otome titles that get western releases.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile, one day I can dream of physical copies for the D3 Publisher otome titles and that they may release Nightshade for the Switch or Vita.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
I'd sacrifice people for Side Kicks, Clock Zero and Tierblade.

I do wonder what they'll announce at AX. Maybe they'll bring over fandiscs and/or vita games which are getting ported to switch. Meaning we could get Nil Admirari, Reine and perhaps Shinobi Koi Utsutsu which has a ps4 port. Would be a little disappointing though.

Ha, Tierblade and Side Kicks would be my two picks as well. Will have to look into Clock Tower.

I'm expecting it to be the second Code Realize fandisc and Collar x Malice Unlimited at AX (if we get any Vita games at all), although who knows. Personally, I prefer new stuff over fandiscs but still.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I just wish we could get stuff from other companies that have already been localized, like Nightshade, Ozmafia and Steam Prison.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Ha, Tierblade and Side Kicks would be my two picks as well. Will have to look into Clock Tower.

I'm expecting it to be the second Code Realize fandisc and Collar x Malice Unlimited at AX (if we get any Vita games at all), although who knows. Personally, I prefer new stuff over fandiscs but still.

Expecting that too. Would prefer new games though. For Vita. Kinda tired of C:R :P.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take any C;R content Aksys gives me.

Same, and even if I was somehow tired of it after finishing Future Blessings, I doubt I'll feel the same by the time the second fandisc actually comes out.

I hope not. Most of the FD isn't even canon. Would take any other game over it.

If you can elaborate without spoiling, I'm curious- what do you consider canon vs non-canon at this point? Do you consider anything outside of route continuations non-canon or are we talking about things that definitively deviate from what the common route established, etc.?

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Same, and even if I was somehow tired of it after finishing Future Blessings, I doubt I'll feel the same by the time the second fandisc actually comes out.

If you can elaborate without spoiling, I'm curious- what do you consider canon vs non-canon at this point? Do you consider anything outside of route continuations non-canon or are we talking about things that definitively deviate from what the common route established, etc.?

Finis and Sholmes' routes are what if scenarios. The wedding scenarios in the second FD are the same. Most of the FD is just fanservice that isn't even canon. I'd rather we get another otome instead.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Finis and Sholmes' routes are what if scenarios. The wedding scenarios in the second FD are the same. Most of the FD is just fanservice that isn't even canon. I'd rather we get another otome instead.

I can sorta see by what you mean by "what if", but Finis and Sholmes' are just their own routes that branch right off the common route of the original game at the exact same point as the original guys' routes, so I don't see what breaks them being canon? Would them being in the original game have made them canon vs FB? Rather, in terms of "what if", it's not like they're "what if this character was in the gang the whole time", just "what if there was a route for this character too", hmm.

I'm really sorry if I'm questioning too much, hah; I'm just still confused as to what you mean by "canon" or not, especially in the sense of these being inferior to a canon extension. The only thing in FB that I've seen so far that I'd question the canonicity of is Lupin's Gang, and that's just because it's explictly supposed to be during the common route but doesn't really fit in it (especially as those characters surely would have returned later in the story). Beyond that kind of vague retconning I think the only thing I'd call "non-canon" is something that wildly departs from the established backstory, or is like... explicitly an AU story.

Do the wedding stories not continue from the White Rose stories in FB? Or is the determining factor for you that only Lupin's end is canon? (And again, sorry for all the questions- just trying to follow what you're saying, since I don't know much about the second fandisc and want to set my expectations appropriately.)

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
I can sorta see by what you mean by "what if", but Finis and Sholmes' are just their own routes that branch right off the common route of the original game at the exact same point as the original guys' routes, so I don't see what breaks them being canon? Would them being in the original game have made them canon vs FB? Rather, in terms of "what if", it's not like they're "what if this character was in the gang the whole time", just "what if there was a route for this character too", hmm.

I'm really sorry if I'm questioning too much, hah; I'm just still confused as to what you mean by "canon" or not, especially in the sense of these being inferior to a canon extension. The only thing in FB that I've seen so far that I'd question the canonicity of is Lupin's Gang, and that's just because it's explictly supposed to be during the common route but doesn't really fit in it (especially as those characters surely would have returned later in the story). Beyond that kind of vague retconning I think the only thing I'd call "non-canon" is something that wildly departs from the established backstory, or is like... explicitly an AU story.

Do the wedding stories not continue from the White Rose stories in FB? Or is the determining factor for you that only Lupin's end is canon? (And again, sorry for all the questions- just trying to follow what you're saying, since I don't know much about the second fandisc and want to set my expectations appropriately.)

The game pretty much says they're not canon when you choose to see Finis/Sholmes' routes.

I actually confused the wedding stories with the Christmas ones, sorry! The Christmas ones aren't canon. They're set after Finis' route where Cardia isn't in an established relationship with any of the guys.

The mafia side-story is a bit of a mess. It shouldn't be canon, but something that happens in Saint Germain's wedding route is directly connected to it.

I don't mind some fanservice in the FDs, but there's a point where it gets superfluous. It doesn't help that the FDs dropped in quality writing wise.

It's especially jarring when it comes to Finis and Sholmes where several characters practically act OOC.

I view the five guys' routes and after stories from the FD as canon. However, the way some of them were written was enough to make me not want more CR content. I'd rather not be disappointed and view CR in a positive light.

That's why I'd prefer we get any other game instead of the second FD.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope that, regardless of Aksys localizing the fandisc or other Otomate titles, they're still releasing them for the Vita. I wouldn't mind playing these games on other platforms, but it's far from ideal for me.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
I just hope that, regardless of Aksys localizing the fandisc or other Otomate titles, they're still releasing them for the Vita. I wouldn't mind playing these games on other platforms, but it's far from ideal for me.

If there are any announcements this year at least, they'd likely still be for Vita (other than some of the PS4 ports I guess) since that's where last years + the first 6 months of this year's otome games are releasing.

So, pending whether this batch did well enough (which I suspect they will have done) I'm pretty hopeful.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Would be nice if both Aksys and IFI could release at least one PS Vita otome title next year, but I would not be surprised if they start doing Switch releases.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
I can't see Aksys going digital-only with these.

There's a small possibility they've already signed another otome and as long as they can get it out early-ish next year (doable) we might see that, but otherwise I guess they'll be moving forward fully on Switch.

Which probably means a gap since Otomates new Switch titles will be fall this year, then Aksys will have to sign and translate them (so late 2019 at the earliest I'm guessing). Maybe they'll grab the ports they've already done in the meantime.

Wonder what'll happen with Collar x Malice Unlimited now. Sounds like we're gonna lose out on it.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, they can still do a few digital only releases though. Don't see what would stop them.

I sure hope they'll announce some more Vita releases at AX.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Amnesia: Memories (and Megadimension Neptunia VII) are available to stream on Utomik, per IFI's latest email.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
After Vita, what will your guys' main system be? I think I'll still be sticking to PS4 > Switxh if both have a version. I'm just too hooked on Playstation's brand (and slightly better graphics). Then again, unless it was Vita exclusive, PS4 > Vita for me.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
After Vita, what will your guys' main system be? I think I'll still be sticking to PS4 > Switxh if both have a version. I'm just too hooked on Playstation's brand (and slightly better graphics). Then again, unless it was Vita exclusive, PS4 > Vita for me.

I'll probably slow down real hard. I don't really buy games for my PS4 or Switch, so I dunno.