• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Already played Bad Apple Wars and Period Cube and thought they were both very average. How's Norn9? That's the only one I'm missing.

It's personally one of my least favorite otome I've completed. As it would turn out: more love interests does not equal a better game as none of them were developed as well as I would've liked (Senri is best boy though). The plot makes very little sense by the end so don't get your hopes up there. Koharu in particular of the three protagonists was really annoying.

But I do think the music is really good (despite my criticisms I still listen to the soundtrack to this day), the art is nice and three protagonists who are all different characters instead of the usual one in VNs was a cool experiment.

To be honest, I think Norn9 suffered a lot for me because it had the misfortune of originally releasing a month after Code:Realize, which remains my favorite otome I've read 5 years later. So maybe it might be better for you? Who knows.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
Already played Bad Apple Wars and Period Cube and thought they were both very average. How's Norn9? That's the only one I'm missing.

I liked it better than the other 2 games but I skipped one entire MC of the 3 b/c of her personality. The MC are all voiced so that's the one positive I do rmb from my overall exp as the story didn't make any sense so that's the negative one. Also, I found it extremely weird that there was one LI who was 20+ compared to MC who were like 14-16 too.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, you're right. I guess I'm a little more excited though, not because I dislike otome, but that I'd like to see a Hakuoki game focusing on the story without romance.

You're out of luck there. As far as I know there's still some romance in the game. Mainly between the main protagonist and his love interest. There are also some scenes with Chizuru and all her love interests but apparently that's near the end of the game?

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
With Amnesia World now coming to the Switch, it sure would be nice for IFI to get the three Amnesia games on the Switch in English for the series' anniversary.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
TBH I got overly excited since I saw the Gemetsu post and I thought they were porting the games in English...

I'll always have Bustafellows summer released. I guess.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Haha, Hijikata's VA (Hakuoki) voices Saito in this one and Okita's VA voices Shinpachi.

Unplayable!

In all seriousness, I wonder if they are contractually forbidden from taking the same role in two different games like this. Would be a bit too close to Hakuoki then?
I know Voice Actors aren't allowed to act out the characters they voice in other places for money, with the grey zone being appearances at Variety Shows or Cons where they can maybe do a catch phrase or whatever - they aren't supposed to be advertising with specific characters they voiced either, unless it's an official event from the specific licence holder.

As the one big Hakuoki fan on this board, I would love for the weird prequel no one liked to be localized!
When's School Life though? >:(

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Is anyone here going to try out the EN version of Touken Ranbu?

If you don't know it, this is not an Otome game, but features pretty boys (voiced by famous japanese Voice Actors) personifying famous swords from Japanese history.
It's ... kind of a gacha game, but from what I understand, the random element comes in when crafting swords - where you have a random chance at crafting rare swords with your materials and the chance and available swords vary with specific events too.

Honestly, I had a look at some Wikis and still feel confused as hell.
It's a very popular Fujoshi franchise though, so I'm curious to check it out (also my voice actor crush Kento Ito voices some weird emo dagger boy or something...).

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Thanks. Will probably check it out then if I can find a physical copy. I need to play the Psychedelica games this summer. Also ordered a copy of 7'Scarlet the other day since it seems to be rapidly shooting up in price.

Is 7'Scarlet good? You can surprisingly still get it and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is 7'Scarlet good? You can surprisingly still get it and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger.

It's okay, nothing special. True ending is awful but you can buy worse otome.

It's definitely better than Period Cube though yeah haha (which I can only recommend if you don't take the story seriously at all and are just there for the ride)

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Hm ok, I really just heard the OP and thought it sounded nice. I might get it since it's not too expensive.

It's definitely better than Period Cube though yeah haha (which I can only recommend if you don't take the story seriously at all and are just there for the ride)

I enjoy rides haha but that is a bit more of a gamble.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Hm ok, I really just heard the OP and thought it sounded nice. I might get it since it's not too expensive.

By the way, I really enjoyed 7'sCarlet. That said, the developer recycled the story and improved it for their next game, World End Syndrome, which is not an otome, but a better visual novel overall.

Last edited:

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
That's funny because I saw that the OP was titled "World End Syndrome" and thought of that game but I didn't know they were connected.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
That's funny because I saw that the OP was titled "World End Syndrome" and thought of that game but I didn't know they were connected.

They're not connected per se, but the developer decided to use the exact same premise in another game outside of an otome setting. If they were different developers, it'd be clear plagiarize, but even if it's the same developer, they didn't develop it in a way that it's set in the same universe, a spiritual successor or something like that.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
WES isn't that good imo. Its character routes are vastly inferior to 7scarlet mosty due to the game's structure. I didn't even like 7'scarlet all that much, but find WES to be disappointing.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017

With this release, we will have the first game available fully in English. After it would be the fandisc.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017

Is it... it is actually releasing? Whooooa.

Edit: Out October 28th. Can't believe it is real after all this time. Might order the special edition.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Bakumatsu Renka Shinsengumi comes out this week. As I've pre-ordered my copy along with Bustafellows, it'll take a long time to arrive.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017

Oh my god, it's so pretty.
This is the first GS game where I'm really liking the main dude too.

I ordered the limited edition, which comes with a bunch of scripts I can't even read - still, no regrets!!

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
olympia-soiree-664221.8.webp

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
www.gematsu.com

Aksys Games showcase All Aksys set for August 6

Aksys Games will host games showcase event All Aksys on August 6 at 9:00 a.m. PT / 12:00 p.m. ET, the company announced. You will be able to watch it on Twitch.
Will have previously announced titles and new titles shown off.

I… wasn't even sure if they had enough titles to do a presentation when I first read this news but I guess they do. Easy guess is that the Piofiore fandisc get's announced here but I dunno about any other titles. Heard good stuff about Cupid Parasite.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I… wasn't even sure if they had enough titles to do a presentation when I first read this news but I guess they do. Easy guess is that the Piofiore fandisc get's announced here but I dunno about any other titles. Heard good stuff about Cupid Parasite.
Yes, I would be surprised if 1926 does not get announced. And a little disappointed because I enjoyed Piofiore a lot. Even have three of the character plushies on order via a proxy from Stellaworth.