• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

luchikita

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't someone mentioned that Aksys had expressed interest in publishing the title but SC didn't want to give it to them? Or was that just a false rumour. I still remember when people thought that was XSEED's potential otome title.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
So I might have overlooked it in the OT Thread, but is someone planning on making an OT for Code;Realize?

MidnightRain

Oct 25, 2017
US
Were you going to use Aksys' site for pictures or just to link to it? If the former, Otomate has several nice pictures on the Japanese site along with banners and such.
I'm going to use it for the descriptions and the banner because I can't find a Png file for the English logo. I did get some pictures from the Japanese site. If worst comes to worst, I can always use what I made for the first game's OT.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well it's been a long wait but let's finally do this

GwBfwfe.jpg

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Code Realize's Vita limited edition really is sold out everywhere. Should I get the PS4 one? Does anyone have a Play-Asia coupon?

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Hello otome thread! I've read that the Code Realize Vita SE is getting rare and the LE is completely gone.

I can't remember if this one is supposed to be getting a physical release in Europe. Does anyone here know?

Also, great thread as usual Shiz :)

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I may have to start buying past otome titles sooner than I was expecting. I've played and reviewed every single one of them and the ones that I didn't (CxM, BAW), I bought physical copies already.

luchikita

Oct 25, 2017
So Amazon accidentally sent me 12 copies of the Vita LE, and they told me I could keep all of them. So anyone wants a copy? They would have to only pay shipping.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
So Amazon accidentally sent me 12 copies of the Vita LE, and they told me I could keep all of them. So anyone wants a copy? They would have to only pay shipping.

...that's the weirdest Amazon error I've ever seen, huh. Hopefully you find some people that'll enjoy it; passing them on is very kind of you to do!

Meanwhile, I forgot to mention this- Amazon sent my own LE in a big envelope for whatever reason. I don't care that much about the outer box and it's not exactly ruined, but it did get squashed a bit and like... why not use a box?

Deleted member 4434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you joking? Wow, what a big error.. I'm surprised they'd let you keep them, considering there were so few LE to begin with and the ones that were available were sold out so quickly..

I'm happy with my standard copy, but it's super kind of you to help other people getting their LE! (❁´◡`❁)

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
From r/Vita regarding Code Realize's LE:

"I was really perplexed as to why this was so hard to find, and why the price has more than doubled on the secondary market, so I decided to do some digging and find out what was up. Turns out Aksys has a direct phone line, so I gave them a call and asked about the print run. Apparently only 2000 were made, so its the equivalent or even smaller than a Limited Run Games release in numbers."

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Wonder how many were made for the PS4 version and if this was Aksys trying to gauge if the otome armada would be willing to move to PS4 releases.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

"I was really perplexed as to why this was so hard to find, and why the price has more than doubled on the secondary market, so I decided to do some digging and find out what was up. Turns out Aksys has a direct phone line, so I gave them a call and asked about the print run. Apparently only 2000 were made, so its the equivalent or even smaller than a Limited Run Games release in numbers."

Wow, that's like, LRG numbers! That would definitely explain it.

As for the being sent x amount of items, it definitely happens. I had a situation where it happened to me once :x I think sometimes an entire shipment box somehow gets ships by error, instead of a single one. Dunno how that issue could be made, but it does!

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Managed to find a Vita copy of the CR: Future Blessings LE in the wild. Canadian peeps might have some luck at EBGames. Still quite a few peppered around Toronto.

luchikita

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much Vita games sell. Excluding Amnesia since IFI basically gave that game away, the numbers aren't that high for otome games on Steam.

Hakuoki Kyoto Winds ~2500-4500
Hakuoki Edo Blossoms ~2000-4000
Ozmafia!! 9000-12000
Fashioning Little Miss Lonesome ~4000-7000
Nightshade ~6000-9000

If you could hold on to one for me while I wait for my tax return I'd appreciate it if your serious.
I want a copy! Thank you for the offer!
If you are serious, I'd like a copy if you have any left.

Just send me a dm with your information. I'm going to be pretty busy next couple of days so I won't be able to send them until next week.

I dunno, 2000 doesn't sound like that little for a LE release of a niche game when said game also had a standard edition. But it'll be interesting knowing the numbers for the PS4 version.

Wonder how many were made for the PS4 version and if this was Aksys trying to gauge if the otome armada would be willing to move to PS4 releases.

It's not up to them anyway, but the JP publishers and the JP fandom is not ready to move away from the vita. Unless they're planning on porting the games then they might as well do Switch and Steam.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
I think I've read that VNs only have to sell/are expected to sell a few thousand in order to be considered successful. Even Japanese sale numbers for Vita otome never seem to be very impressive. It's kind of a shame that's it's so hard to find reliable numbers for NA/EU game sales, I'd like to see them with my own eyes as well.

Also apparently someone posted the link that Otusun's patreon supporters got for The Bell Chimes for Gold publicly. They had to close that down and will remake a link with limited downloads. Sucks, the game is like 10 bucks. :( Pirates gonna pirate, I guess.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
I think I've read that VNs only have to sell/are expected to sell a few thousand in order to be considered successful. Even Japanese sale numbers for Vita otome never seem to be very impressive. It's kind of a shame that's it's so hard to find reliable numbers for NA/EU game sales, I'd like to see them with my own eyes as well.

In Japan I can see that, but overseas less so. I mean, most VN's have as much text if not more than your average JRPG, but they'll aim for significantly higher sales than a few thousand

I think it's why Aksys barely publicise their otome stuff and they tend to have a lot of typos - they know the audience is small so they're effectively put out as passion projects rather than major releases.

I wonder how much Vita games sell. Excluding Amnesia since IFI basically gave that game away, the numbers aren't that high for otome games on Steam.

I'm willing to bet the early stuff (Code Realize/Norn9) sold pretty well. Interested to see what the newer stuff is shifting though. I guess we'll know if it's still "enough" at AX depending on whether Aksys announce a new round of Vita otome VN's.

I don't think the genre has fully shifted elsewhere in Japan yet (PS4 is getting a few and Switch hasn't been embraced yet) so it's Vita or nothing for another year or so if they want to continue bringing them to the west. Which I really hope they do.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
In Japan I can see that, but overseas less so. I mean, most VN's have as much text if not more than your average JRPG, but they'll aim for significantly higher sales than a few thousand

I think it's why Aksys barely publicise their otome stuff and they tend to have a lot of typos - they know the audience is small so they're effectively put out as passion projects rather than major releases.

That's not really true. Aksys rarely publicises anything. If the audience is small than the whole VN genre is doomed. The determining factor depends on how vocal a fanbase is.

You want glaring errors and untranslated text? Try Chaos;Child. You want corrupted saves? S;G 0. You want a game with a bunch of typos? Try Dies Irae. How about some SP games which released with a horrid translation? If you want a mess - Psycho-Pass.

The otome fanbase is very vocal. This is why you're more likely to hear about any issues when it comes to otome releases than when it comes to other VNs.

I'd say the situation is similar to Ys VIII and NDRV 3. Both localizations are a mess, yet only one got traction and that's only because of the vocal Falcom fanbase.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
That's not really true. Aksys rarely publicises anything.

I mean, they brought UNIELST and Tokyo Xanadu ex+ to PSX, and none of their otome games.

You want glaring errors and untranslated text? Try Chaos;Child. You want corrupted saves? S;G 0. You want a game with a bunch of typos? Try Dies Irae. How about some SP games which released with a horrid translation? If you want a mess - Psycho-Pass.

The otome fanbase is very vocal. This is why you're more likely to hear about any issues when it comes to otome releases than when it comes to other VNs.

You're probably right, I'm just basing it on my own experiences. I didn't run into any issues with S;G 0 (and haven't played the others), but I did play Code Realize and Norn9 and remember multiple occasions where the text didn't even fit in the box properly lol. Plus some horrendous sentences, and I have a fairly high tolerance for that kind of stuff.

gQY85UY.jpg

Just from a quick browse of my screenshots lol.

In any event, aren't you kinda proving my point with what you're saying here?

So it's all VN's that have rushed, lesser publicised releases, not just otome. Fits with what I'm saying, no?

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they brought UNIELST and Tokyo Xanadu ex+ to PSX, and none of their otome games.

You're probably right, I'm just basing it on my own experiences. I didn't run into any issues with S;G 0 (and haven't played the others), but I did play Code Realize and Norn9 and remember multiple occasions where the text didn't even fit in the box properly lol. Plus some horrendous sentences, and I have a fairly high tolerance for that kind of stuff.

gQY85UY.jpg

Just from a quick browse of my screenshots lol.

In any event, aren't you kinda proving my point with what you're saying here?

So it's all VN's that have rushed, lesser publicised releases, not just otome. Fits with what I'm saying, no?

Most VNs, even on steam, don't sell more than a few thousand copies. I don't think any company would aim higher than that whilst knowing the market. There are some exceptions of course, and games being available on Steam means they could have legs as well. Not all VNs are rushed. I think this is mostly an issue coming from the Japanese side - Japanese companies not really understanding the western market and wanting their games localized asap. This is mostly an issue with console games because companies need to work alongside Japanese devs to localize games, while PC releases are different.

Look at how Dies Irae was handled and that's a game that had competent and passionate translators.

You might say that Aksys working on so many otome games is because they don't have much else to work on (what with ArcSys and SC establishing their own western branches). But, on the other hand, look at how IFI handled their otome releases. We went from digital only (Amnesia), to not only having better LEs but actual otome themed events. And that happened more than once. IFI, the same company that has so many Compile Heart releases that they didn't have to release a single otome game. Yet they did.

Passion projects are XSEED porting a game they love to Steam and giving it a few enhancements. Passion projects don't consist of having expensive LEs, organizing events and asking fans what other otome games they want. Even Aksys is getting better in that regard, albeit a lot slower.

Edit: As far as TX ex+ and UNIELST are concerned - they aren't VNs. VNs usually don't show up at big events. The only company I can think of that did that is SP (and we all know why they did that).

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Passion projects are XSEED porting a game they love to Steam and giving it a few enhancements. Passion projects don't consist of having expensive LEs, organizing events and asking fans what other otome games they want. Even Aksys is getting better in that regard, albeit a lot slower.

But... Aksys aren't really doing those things? I mean, the LE's sure, but they're putting out LRG amounts of them which screams "we want to do this but can't justify much more than that" to me. Besides, old Steam ports is like 90% of XSEED's business these days - the last passion project I can remember them picking up was Xanadu Next.

Edit: As far as TX ex+ and UNIELST are concerned - they aren't VNs. VNs usually don't show up at big events. The only company I can think of that did that is SP (and we all know why they did that).

If you're going to show your VN at an event though, why not make it the event where a load of other VN's are :P

I'm not quite sure what we're discussing at this point. I didn't mean passion project to be an offensive thing, if that's what's bothered you. I just feel like there's a team of cheerleaders within Aksys that keep bringing us these otome games (one moved over to IFI coincidentally and took Hakuoki with her) but because they're not the main focus of their localization output, they don't always get the level of QA they deserve.

If you're saying very few VN's get the level of QA they deserve because their sales target is always going to be a few thousand copies then... I don't disagree.