• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

It's not a game I'm interested in to begin with, but it's really weird to keep hearing about how the ports of this handle content from the Vita version. Is there a reason the PC and Switch versions are the mobile game + Vita CGs but lacking Vita exclusive content? It seems bizarre to me that they'd be able to include the Vita CGs but not include its extra route, unless there's some licensing mess (which is why I assume there's no voice acting from the Vita version in the ports?). Wouldn't you want to base the ports on the Vita version to begin with?

It's also funny to see this and some of the Steam reviews cite picking the route at the start as something that happens because it was on mobile first when games like Amnesia also do that (unless the Vita version of this doesn't do that?). Though I guess the short chapters thing makes the mobile origin more obvious, hmm.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
From that review:
I was pleasantly surprised to see storylines do not revolve around the physical and instead have actual character development in addition to occasional mature elements in each route. The heroine is a bit naive at times, falling way too fast for men who entertain women for a living, but she does experience actual character development.
Where is this character development? I finished the main route and the sub stories for Takao and was pretty disappointed. While the text is translated and follows English grammar rules, it feels as if no one edited it for flow and such. The passage of time in the main story (or at least within Takao's route) is vague and it does not take much time to complete so seeing the heroine and Takao
want togo off and marry each other had me wonder where all the buildup for that was. The heroine also did not seem to be comfortable with foreplay, let alone sex in several of the scenes.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys, did anyone pre-order the Hakuoki LE recently and also get credit card fraud? The site was acting weird yesterday and didn't load on my PC for some reason, so I just ordered it off my phone... Then I got a couple charges on that card for KarmaLoop (pretty sure it's the same place I got hit from during the Video Game Plus issue). I use this card online-only, and haven't been anywhere out of the ordinary (just Amazon, Best Buy, etc). until that :/

Aksys Store got hit the other day too, so I thought maybe IF Store did as well?

Edit: On second thought, maybe it was from the Aksys Store? I have bought from there before...

PLEASE GET BETTER SECURITY ECOMMERCE SITES!! ...I hate having issues almost bi-annually from this sort of thing :/

Last edited:

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, did anyone pre-order the Hakuoki LE recently and also get credit card fraud? The site was acting weird yesterday and didn't load on my PC for some reason, so I just ordered it off my phone... Then I got a couple charges on that card for KarmaLoop (pretty sure it's the same place I got hit from during the Video Game Plus issue). I use this card online-only, and haven't been anywhere out of the ordinary (just Amazon, Best Buy, etc). until that :/

Aksys Store got hit the other day too, so I thought maybe IF Store did as well?

Edit: On second thought, maybe it was from the Aksys Store? I have bought from there before...

PLEASE GET BETTER SECURITY ECOMMERCE SITES!! ...I hate having issues almost bi-annually from this sort of thing :/

Yikes. Aksys' website got hacked, not their store. So, I don't think it's them.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I bought items from both stores and have not had any fradulent purchases on my card. I will keep a close watch on it though.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Variable Barricade and that Sanada game are now vita exclusive :/. I was hoping that with the inclusion of ps4, we'd be more likely to get both games in the future.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It'd have to be Switch, right?

It's a little concerning to see PS4 dropped for those titles though. I'd rather play VNs on handhelds, but I was hoping that if there was a time between Vita games being localized less and more VNs releasing on Switch, PS4 versions would at least be a localization option in the meantime.

Maybe that's (thankfully) not too realistic of a fear anyway, but still.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I hope this is something specific to those two games and that in the future more of their games will get released on ps4.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they're saving the PS4 for those collections (base game + fandisc) like they've been doing up until now.

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, guys. Quick question. Whats the hands down prettiest otome game that isnt localized?

luchikita

Oct 25, 2017
Reine des Fleurs is gorgeous, which must be why it sold so well (10k+). I was pretty disappointed when it turned out to be bad. Actually, I'm kinda surprised that Otomate didn't try to do a sequel or even a fan disc considering how well it sold.

Heh. So I wanted something that was already released in Japan. Im thinking about playing one on youtube with translated subtitles.

So do you want one that's actually good?

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, guys. Quick question. Whats the hands down prettiest otome game that isnt localized?

That'll always be subjective and boiling it to just one game is impossible, but here are some:
29701.jpg
31189.jpg
33949.jpg
33727.jpg
19175.jpg
12972.jpg
26774.jpg
34486.jpg
1612b450502d01ed.jpg
28153.jpg
27225.jpg

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reine des Fleurs

A shame really since I heard it wasn't very good
Looks nice...

Reine des Fleurs is gorgeous, which must be why it sold so well (10k+). I was pretty disappointed when it turned out to be bad. Actually, I'm kinda surprised that Otomate didn't try to do a sequel or even a fan disc considering how well it sold.

So do you want one that's actually good?
It doesnt need to be a masterpiece. Im playing Toraware no Paruma(mobile game) now, and its really gorgeous. Not sure if the story is great.

That'll always be subjective and boiling it to just one game is impossible, but here are some:
Thank you! I will look into these.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just hope Aksys doesn't rush them out after CXM's localization issues. I haven't played BAW to see if it got any better but man CXM made me wonder if Aksys had any editors.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope Aksys doesn't rush them out after CXM's localization issues. I haven't played BAW to see if it got any better but man CXM made me wonder if Aksys had any editors.

They outsource their localizations. As long as it's not the same company doing all the games, it should be fine.

BAW was better than CxM for the most part. But the soul touch scenes weren't translated at all. I understand why they couldn't translate those in-game, but there was no reason not to even consider translating those on their website or something.

luchikita

Oct 25, 2017
They released Norn9 and CR very closed together and people were complaining about quality issues, so it's not a new problem, and I expect more complaining.

Their localization doesn't bother me that much, but I do wish Aksys would handle criticism better.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that pace is concerning, both for quality and my ability to play all of them, hah. Particularly since Code Realize is at the end of March... I don't really think an aggressive schedule is really smart for games of this length, that at least in my case I don't always play too much in one sitting as well?

I guess it's probably out of their hands, and my hope is that in Code Realize's case it's had a lot of time to be worked on and they were just waiting for the PS4 version. But in general the issues with past releases left me hoping they'd be giving more time for editing/QA and not just rapidly releasing things. And if they're getting them out so fast, it'll be a little disappointing if the rest of the year only has the second Psychedelica...

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I have a Hakuoki question!
Trying to get all my PS3/Vita purchases in by next year, with their PSN support weakening... just in case there's any signs of either shutting down. I doubt it, but wanted to work on it early.

Anyways, there's a number of Hakuoki PS3 DLC scenarios available:
-Madness
-A Meeting of Demons
-Something Important
-The First Snow
-For Good or Ill
-Never Boring
-The Waxing and Waning of the Moon
-Content Under Blossoms
-Fateful Moonless Night
-Fading Automn Leaves
-Like a Flower Blooming Madly
-The Life and Times of Yukimura the Page

With the Vita versions being the complete package editions, are any/all of these PS3 scenarios included?

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Hakuoki question!
Trying to get all my PS3/Vita purchases in by next year, with their PSN support weakening... just in case there's any signs of either shutting down. I doubt it, but wanted to work on it early.

Anyways, there's a number of Hakuoki PS3 DLC scenarios available:
-Madness
-A Meeting of Demons
-Something Important
-The First Snow
-For Good or Ill
-Never Boring
-The Waxing and Waning of the Moon
-Content Under Blossoms
-Fateful Moonless Night
-Fading Automn Leaves
-Like a Flower Blooming Madly
-The Life and Times of Yukimura the Page

With the Vita versions being the complete package editions, are any/all of these PS3 scenarios included?

Edo Blossoms isn't out yet, so impossible to tell. DLC, geisha scenario, the festival, letters etc...naturally aren't in Kyoto Winds since it's the first part. Someone who played through the Japanese version of EB should be able to tell you if those are all included.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Just got Hakuoki Edo Blossoms review code and there's no embargo, so if anyone's got any questions about the game, feel free to ask them and I'll try to answer.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I never played the PS3 DLC, so I wouldn't know if it's featured in Edo Blossoms, but I'll let you know if any option content pops up.

First thing that's interesting, since the second half is purely romance with a set partner, Edo Blossoms lets you choose which character do you want to "continue" from the first game, meaning you can get to play the second half of anyone's route at any point, even if you didn't play the first half during the first game.

There are thirteen characters to choose from after you start a new game in Edo Blossoms.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Hakuoki's really for me, but I'd be interested to hear what your thoughts are on the division of the two games after you finish.

I'm mostly wondering about, since it's the plot of the original game split into two parts, whether it'll end up being a better idea to play all of Kyoto first and then all of Edo, or if it makes sense to pick a character and play their route in both games, and so on?

I've only ever played an hour of the original PSP release so I'm not sure about the plot at all or if the new games expect you to have seen the plot of all of Kyoto first before Edo and all that.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Hakuoki's really for me, but I'd be interested to hear what your thoughts are on the division of the two games after you finish.

I'm mostly wondering about, since it's the plot of the original game split into two parts, whether it'll end up being a better idea to play all of Kyoto first and then all of Edo, or if it makes sense to pick a character and play their route in both games, and so on?

I've only ever played an hour of the original PSP release so I'm not sure about the plot at all or if the new games expect you to have seen the plot of all of Kyoto first before Edo and all that.

In the original you'd go for a full route. Nothing preventing you from doing the same here. Only annoying thing would be having to switch games. So, just pick a character first and go through his route in both games.

I never played the PS3 DLC, so I wouldn't know if it's featured in Edo Blossoms, but I'll let you know if any option content pops up.

First thing that's interesting, since the second half is purely romance with a set partner, Edo Blossoms lets you choose which character do you want to "continue" from the first game, meaning you can get to play the second half of anyone's route at any point, even if you didn't play the first half during the first game.

There are thirteen characters to choose from after you start a new game in Edo Blossoms.

Thirteen? Who's the last one? I thought there were 12.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The Common Route of Kyoto was such a mess of choices. No idea how one would get to each guy without a route guide.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Uhhhh it totally slipped my mind that Edo was coming out on Tuesday. Eh, I'm not in any rush. I've actually been replaying some otome lately.

It didn't really occur to me until I looked at my playlist but I think I've imported the OST of almost every console otome I've played over the past few years. Period: Cube and Norn9 will always live on in my memories in that way -___-