• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I recently got a Microsoft Surface Go to play some PC VNs on. Finished Sweet Pool and was kinda underwhelmed by Fashioning Little Miss Lonesome. And Nightshade isn't on sale so I'd probably just get it on Switch if I have to pay full price.

Anyone else have any PC game recommendations? Was thinking I'd redownload Nameless and Ozmafia to finish some routes I missed last time until some of the new MangaGamer otome/BL releases come out.

Steins;Gate, The House in Fata Morgana and Chaos;Child.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the recommendations! I've heard good things about all of these, so I'll bump them up in the queue. Definitely been curious about Fata Morgana.

The House in Fata Morgana is a solid 10/10 for me. There's another game to play after you finish it if you want, called A Requiem of Innocence. Another recommendation would be 428: Shibuya Scramble.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I forgot Nightshade is on Switch now yessss

Also looking at the Japanese eShop is painful, so many VNs ;-;

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
I'm currently playing 7'sCarlet, and I appreciate how straight forward everything is. You immediately get some feedback whether you picked the correct choice for a route and can move on or reload after seeing that flower sprout or not. Only the last few options in a route don't have this, which you'll probably replay as a bigger chunk anyway if you want to see all endings.
Also, read text is coloured, routes are fairly short... I never thought I'd be praising an Otome for quality of life improvements, haha.

Only two routes in. Second route I took was the Yandere. Boy, I do NOT like this. When one of your dialogue options is literally "Trust him blindly" you know you're fucked.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
My copies of Code Realize Wintertide Miracles should arrive tomorrow. Probably will not get around to them until later.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Man, I really like 7'sCarlet, unironically, but at the same time this whole trope of "literally every attractive boy in this town fell in love with me when I was 9 years old and has been harbouring an obsession with me for the last 12 years, but oops, I completely forgot that ever happened because of plot amnesia, lulz" is some grade A anime bullshit.

Edit: Oh, and also zombies.

applejuice

Oct 27, 2017
Tampa, FL
Man, I really like 7'sCarlet
I liked the game a lot too, art was pretty, most of the boys felt like rational people save for a few, I liked the villains. I also really liked the lore around the town. But yeah. Hoo they went deep on the tropes.
Its easy to glance over, but in the final info dump, er, route, Hanate says he first came upon young MC when the photographer guy pushed her OFF THE BRIDGE AND INTO A RIVER and Yuzuki saw it and jumped in to rescue her. Yuzuki is the ONLY guy who wasn't obsessed with her even after he saved her life just like ever other guy did ... proving he is best boy :3

applejuice

Oct 27, 2017
Tampa, FL
My boyfriend got me boyfriends for vday and got me the Code Realize Wintertide limited edition. Peeling all the paper off the acrylic standees was annoying. The art looks so pretty, but I have a backlog and it will have to wait.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
If anyone here enjoys the "going back to your home town to find out all the boys you knew there are still in love with you because you used to play on the same playground 20 years ago, and that apparently changed their whole life to a point where they are completely obsessed with you, but they coudn't even be arsed to tell you about it or visit you"-trope, I really liked "Dreamy Days in West Tokyo" from Voltage Inc. for mobile.
Voltage has now put all their apps into this shitty wrapper app called Love 365 which makes buying stories super complicated because you have to use weird ingame currency - should still be cheap enough to buy a few routes, I played Haruki, Ryuzo, Takeshi and Johji (don't judge) and liked all of them.
https://voltageapps.com/love365/apps/dreamy-days-in-west-tokyo/

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Several months ago, I transferred over all my game purchases from the individual titles to the Love 365 app, then my phone had some issues so I had to restore it, and I pretty much lost all the routes and stuff I bought. Still a bit miffed about it.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Mangagamer released Steam Prison yesterday. Only about an hour or so in but it's not bad so far. Really liking how assertive Cyrus is and I hope that keeps up as I get into the routes. Also I love the way it looks (no gallery though?? Or I guess it unlocks later?)

Last edited:

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Mangagamer released Steam Prison yesterday. Only about an hour or so in but it's not bad so far. Really liking how assertive Cyrus is and I hope that keeps up as I get into the routes. Also I love the way it looks (no gallery though?? Or I guess it unlocks later?)

Wow those names. Ines Heinrich Heine?? There's a character named Sachsen Brandenburg, I can't...
For you US peeps, that's like naming a character Nevada California.

As a German, the weird Japanese infatuation with my culture is always such a shock.
I felt very attacked by this in 7'sCarlet too.
20190214_0353431bk5v.jpg

Edit: Haha, feel free to judge my naming. MC usually gets a mix of first name = 1 japanese word I know / girl name from a romcom I like / girl name from a cartoon I like + last name = 1 japanese word I know / some musicians last name / some cartoon character's last name

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone get the physical Switch release for Nightshade? I haven't seen any pics of the real thing so far.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
lol well that's a surprise. Wonder if they'll port over other Voltage games.

This is not a good game btw. Pretty trash actually (but mobile otome usually are imo)

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
How are they going to translate the pricing model to the Switch? Will it just be in-game purchases like in the app?

Waiting for "In your arms tonight", because I'm a sucker for that one.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
I've finally found my favorite thread. Yes, it's a bit sad how there's been zero decent otome release dates since Vita died. Hopefully, Aksys will have new info before AX.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
At this point all I can hope for are a couple/few digital vita releases. Not sure if Aksys would bother.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely in for LDM. I know it got some flak, but I enjoyed it.

Speaking of enjoying things - finished playing Bad Apple Wars recently:

https://kresnik258gaming.wordpress.com/2019/05/22/vita-bad-apple-wars-review/

Super disappointed. I enjoyed Code Realize and Collar x Malice a lot but BAW felt shallow and pointless - I still enjoyed bits of it, but it was a big let down.

Want something truly horrifying to think about? Try calculating the age difference between Alma and Rinka.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
Definitely in for LDM. I know it got some flak, but I enjoyed it.

Speaking of enjoying things - finished playing Bad Apple Wars recently:

https://kresnik258gaming.wordpress.com/2019/05/22/vita-bad-apple-wars-review/

Super disappointed. I enjoyed Code Realize and Collar x Malice a lot but BAW felt shallow and pointless - I still enjoyed bits of it, but it was a big let down.

BAW was universally mediocre for me too and. I dropped it after 2 routes like what is this. A total waste of resources and VA talent like PC was better. Top 10 otome regrets.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
BAW was universally mediocre for me too and. I dropped it after 2 routes like what is this. A total waste of resources and VA talent like PC was better. Top 10 otome regrets.

I found the chosen font for BAW horrible and really uncomfortable to read, far the worst of all VNs Aksys has brought over.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
I found the chosen font for BAW horrible and really uncomfortable to read, far the worst of all VNs Aksys has brought over.

Sadly 7'scarlet is worst otome and I'll never get my hours/$$$ back. Like moments where I went ??? when they did otome announcements and for every good title there are a few titles that just hold back the entire genre.

Norn9
PC
BAW
7's

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Want something truly horrifying to think about? Try calculating the age difference between Alma and Rinka.

Aha. But he waited... it was so romantic!

... uff.

I did sorta enjoy his route & white mask route (though could do without the weird
torture
stuff) but in general I wouldn't rate them above any other route in any other otome games I've played.

Aha, I thought it was just me - like I checked professional reviews and they seemed really positive for it. I also gave up after 2 routes (Alma/Higa) but decided to power through for the platinum, although I must admit I did use a lot of skip text for Shikishima/Satoru.

Sadly 7'scarlet is worst otome and I'll never get my hours/$$$ back. Like moments where I went ??? when they did otome announcements and for every good title there are a few titles that just hold back the entire genre.

Norn9
PC
BAW
7's

Oh dear. I had been hoping some of the non-Code Realize/Collar x Malice/Hakuoki ones had been good. Are the psychedelicas enjoyable at least?

Rae

Mar 7, 2019

Oh dear. I had been hoping some of the non-Code Realize/Collar x Malice/Hakuoki ones had been good. Are the psychedelicas enjoyable at least?

They're much better than the others. PAH is one of my favorite MCs and PBB has a unique art style. Also they're available on PC too SOON. LDM was a OK otome with a voiced MC with a great localization.

Oct 28, 2017

... uff.

I did sorta enjoy his route & white mask route (though could do without the weird
torture
stuff) but in general I wouldn't rate them above any other route in any other otome games I've played.

Aha, I thought it was just me - like I checked professional reviews and they seemed really positive for it. I also gave up after 2 routes (Alma/Higa) but decided to power through for the platinum, although I must admit I did use a lot of skip text for Shikishima/Satoru.

Yep Bad Apple Wars was probably one of the worst VN's I played on Vita (outside of Period Cube and Psycho Pass).

I didn't think that 7'scarlet was that bad, not the level of the ones you mentioned but it was still enjoyable enough. Same with the Psychedelica games, Ashen Hawk was probably the better of the two but they both have a great artstyle.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
They're much better than the others. PAH is one of my favorite MCs and PBB has a unique art style. Also they're available on PC too SOON. LDM was a OK otome with a voiced MC with a great localization.

Good to know that I've at least got a couple more to look forward to on Vita then, thanks :P

Yep Bad Apple Wars was probably one of the worst VN's I played on Vita (outside of Period Cube and Psycho Pass).

I didn't think that 7'scarlet was that bad, not the level of the ones you mentioned but it was still enjoyable enough. Same with the Psychedelica games, Ashen Hawk was probably the better of the two but they both have a great artstyle.

Period Cube is still on my 'to play' list. I chose BAW first...