• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with this Saph on her summary of the character routes in BAW, though I really loved Shikishima.. but as she said his ending is a dumpster fire. Him and Prefect were by far my favorites. I'd personally rank them Prefect > Shikishima >>>>>> Alma >Higa > Satoru

"I'm gonna hit you if you cry too much, idiot" "You...you can't do that..." "Now I want to do it even more, I'm a bad apple, after all" like I know he's joking but uh,ooookay. My Higa loving friend loved him but hated his ending lol

Hahaha, that and his whole shtick was about him repaying his brother...which doesn't happen in his route. He gets reincarnated as his brother's son. Rinka sure must've been something to make him change his mind so suddenly.

I also love it how they tried to incorporate Satoru in other routes, but in the last chapter they completely forgot about him.

My ranking would be: White Mask >> Alma > Shikishima >>>> Higa >>>>> Satoru.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
Aksys had no say about the font in BAW, unfortunately. The Japanese devs were the one who insisted on it.

I think developers who are used to a different alphabet should consult the western publisher about font choices.

Definitely. It would be really interesting to know what the reasoning was to insist on that font, especially since the previous Otomate games had quite readable ones. BAW's font just feels to me like it could be designed to intentionally annoy western audiences.

Asukui

Oct 25, 2017
Found you guys finally!

I took a bit of a break from otomes (and most games rip) because of rl issues but I'm hoping to get back into the swing and catch up on a bunch that I've missed.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Played a bit of the Steam Prison demo and made it a little past the OP. So far the language used doesn't seem particularly complex so I'll probably pick up the vita port sometime.

Also, check out the Humble Bundle fall sale. There are a few things of interest on sale, including Nightshade for it's usual sale price of 27.99. While Dogenzaka has a few games on sale there's nothing from their otome catalog, sadly.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, that CxM Unlimited Shiraishi CG...

I wasn't on board before, but now I am. Gimme the FD!

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
As we're not getting any new otome title this year as far as I know, what was your favorite otome released in 2017? I've only really played Period Cube, Nightshade and Hakuoki Kyoto Winds, but I bet that if I get the time, it'll probably be Collar x Malice.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
As we're not getting any new otome title this year as far as I know, what was your favorite otome released in 2017? I've only really played Period Cube, Nightshade and Hakuoki Kyoto Winds, but I bet that if I get the time, it'll probably be Collar x Malice.

I find it impossible to choose one. Nightshade made me an emotional wreck for a week but that's mostly because of Hanzo and, to a lesser extent, Chojiro. The other three left a lot to be desired. I loved Collar x Malice but Takeru's route was terrible. Ichika was so much better in Shiraishi's route. With Takeru she was completely spineless and the way he continued to treat her was utter dogshit.Which is a shame because I like Takeru as a character. Also, having guessed the culprit early on, the mystery was slightly underwhelming. I love Hakuoki, but this was only the first part of the game.

BAW had so much potential and PC was one of the worst VNs I've ever played.

I'm really excited for 2018 though! I'm even starting to miss C:R. I assume the fandisc will be the first otome we get in 2018.

Edit: Forgot to mention; Shinobi, Koi Utsutsu and its FD are getting ported to ps4.

Last edited:

futurememory

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the V Route for Mystic Messenger and... ugh, I did NOT enjoy that one.

It's just pretty repetitive and FAR too dramatic. I really appreciated that it went dark places, but the good ending didn't really feel like a particularly good ending... and it wasn't really a romance. I tend to play otome games for that reason, and there was absolutely nothing to latch onto here. V is out of commission for a large amount of the route, and I felt like his therapist more than someone that was attempting to romance him.

Next to Yoosung's, it was probably my least favorite. I'm surprised, but 707's Route is probably my favorite (everything felt very well earned).

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Period Cube is still $35 on Amazon, before tax. I've been able to get all the Aksys Otome for $20, except for PC. I can wait though.

Yeah, PC is the only one that's cheaper from Aksys, but from what I've heard of it I don't really want to pick it up for more than $20. I was kinda hoping retailers would want to push cheap prices for vita games to clear stock or whatever, but so far all the sales are focused on consoles. :p

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Gamestop has actually been putting them down to $20 pretty fast. Saw CM for $30 and a few weeks later went down to $20 and got it. Usually last one in stock, cause Vita, but I don't mind gutted copies, and can still support the titles.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Ozmafia's on Steam for US$20 in the fall sale. The reviews seem good. Looks like a good Christmas gift.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ozmafia was okay. Not the worst otome I've played but not the best one either. $20 sounds about right.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for sharing!

Anyone else watching the Code Realize anime? I started to catch up on it, but it seems like it did not get the budget it deserves.

Oh, dang, I completely forgot that was a thing! I sorta wanted to watch it as it aired but... catching up now is probably unlikely. I also wonder how they could even adapt the routes, because I feel like CR's common route leading into each character route and then those routes connecting to Lupin's was very well done, and I assume they'd just go right to Lupin's?

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Oh, dang, I completely forgot that was a thing! I sorta wanted to watch it as it aired but... catching up now is probably unlikely. I also wonder how they could even adapt the routes, because I feel like CR's common route leading into each character route and then those routes connecting to Lupin's was very well done, and I assume they'd just go right to Lupin's?
I have finished five of the eight episodes that are currently up on Crunchyroll. So far scenes from each guy's route have been adapted for world building but I am sure it will end with Lupin's ending, considering
it has a scene from what I believe to be Cardia and Lupin falling from the ship.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, sure, maybe they "fail" in terms of appealing to the general public but the growing fans who like the genre sure don't seem to mind most of what the article lists as negatives...

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I wrote about my thoughts on the article elsewhere but I definitely agree that some otome games fail for the reasons she gave, but not all otome games are failing. Even among mobile ones, Voltage Inc for example has been creating western focused otoge while still releasing the translated Japanese ones. And playing as heroines who has the personality of a potato (Kazuha) is just not fun.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"Fail" is a strange word to use considering the article seems to say that it's more about breaking into the mainstream

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Otomate is porting CxM to mobile. A little odd - would've thought a ps4 port was more likely.

Also:

badarchetype

Nov 20, 2017
Oh yay there's an otome thread! I've been a fan of the genre since Hakuoki came out in English on the PSP.

I've almost been overwhelmed by the amount we have to play lately? I never finished Code Realize completely (trying to drag myself through Impey's route to enjoy Lupin - excited by the fan disk screenshots I'm seeing). I actually enjoyed what I played of Period: Cube. I guess it's just because I'm an old MMO nerd and the art style really grew on me. And I liked that it was short and reasonable so I could bounce around the routes. Watching MMO Junkie lately has been making me want to get back to it (MMO Junkie's Sakurai and Period Cube's Astrum sharing the same voice actor doesn't hurt).

Lately I've been working through Collar x Malice when I'm on the train. I really do love the art style. The plot is rather all over the place but I think Ichika is cute.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Games on sale this week (PSN Store):

• Amnesia: Memories – $2.99 ($4.99)
  • Hakuoki: Kyoto Winds – $14.99 ($17.99)
For a newish release, Hakuoki is a steal.

Last edited:

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
NUyttbn.gif

Also, the Vita Aksys published otome games are all included in the PSN Store Holiday Sale.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
It probably won't. However, seeing how the vita port isn't published by Marvelous, odds are XSEED is only interested in porting the game to Steam.

badarchetype

Nov 20, 2017
I've put my hope too many times in XSeed that I cannot expect anything anymore.

I started Bad Apple Wars on my train commute yesterday! It's pretty stylish, and the voice cast is really good. I'll have to see how the bonkers premise holds up as I get farther in.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Was it ever revealed as to why it fell through the first time? Was it because XSEED hinted at its release too much or something else?