• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
No otome titles announced at IFI's press event last night. Them releasing the Date A Live trilogy does give me a tiny bit of hope for the Nil Admirari Switch port that has both games though.

I wonder if they're gonna skip this first wave of Switch otome just because a lot of them are dual-packs of titles, which is obviously a bigger cost than just translating one game. Or maybe split them up like NIS did with DanganRonpa.

I think it's highly likely that otome moving to switch is going to be cost prohibitive for some titles. Even in Japan, a lot of Switch VNs are digital only. Cartridges are expensive.
So IFI's 'we're thinking about you' does not inspire me with confidence.

What's "we're thinking about you" from - quote from the presser?

As much as I would prefer a physical edition, I would take digital only.

Other than Mary Skelter 2, are any of the current remaining Compile Heart games viable for localization? The ones left are that Azur Lane that is not dated for Japan yet, the Pixie and Clanpool Vita games, and several games with that pink seal thing . I am guessing the games in the later category would need a lot of changes now so I wonder if IFI would just do a hard pass on them all.

Ahh, Compile Heart will have loads more shit out by next year that could be localized.

There's also Castle Panzers on PS4 btw (which you mentioned I guess), which possibly has more of a chance than Moe Crystal/Moe Pirates.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they're gonna skip this first wave of Switch otome just because a lot of them are dual-packs of titles, which is obviously a bigger cost than just translating one game. Or maybe split them up like NIS did with DanganRonpa.

What's "we're thinking about you" from - quote from the presser?

Ahh, Compile Heart will have loads more shit out by next year that could be localized.

There's also Castle Panzers on PS4 btw (which you mentioned I guess), which possibly has more of a chance than Moe Crystal/Moe Pirates.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I think more Hakuoki at this point would be a bad idea. Not only would it frustrate fans who want more otome, but it also probably wouldn't sell a lot.

More Hakuoki? The two Vita ones were the first in years and the script is done. Don't be surprised when Aksys releases Code Realize for the Switch, despite releasing a new one this year and another one next year.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
More Hakuoki? The two Vita ones were the first in years and the script is done. Don't be surprised when Aksys releases Code Realize for the Switch, despite releasing a new one this year and another one next year.

Not the same thing. Hakuoki keeps getting localized over and over. PSP, 3DS, PS3, mobile, pc, vita...I think people are getting tired of it. IFI has been playing it pretty safe in terms of releases. I don't think more Hakuoki would do them any good.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Not the same thing. Hakuoki keeps getting localized over and over. PSP, 3DS, PS3, mobile, pc, vita...I think people are getting tired of it. IFI has been playing it pretty safe in terms of releases. I don't think more Hakuoki would do them any good.

This isn't a new localization, it's a port. Also, they have Amnesia, they could do that as well.

JoeyJungle

Oct 27, 2017
Man, just started up Code Realize on PS4 after not finishing the Vita version, forgot how much I liked this game. I'm not even past the OP yet, either.

There's no way to transfer the vita save, right? I'll just need to do skip text for a super long time? I had finished 1.5 routes on Vita.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Man, just started up Code Realize on PS4 after not finishing the Vita version, forgot how much I liked this game. I'm not even past the OP yet, either.

There's no way to transfer the vita save, right? I'll just need to do skip text for a super long time? I had finished 1.5 routes on Vita.

No transfer, IIRC. Sorry.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I finished Fashioning Little Miss Lonesome on Saturday. It was okay, but I really could have done without the
Micheal Kors homage/parody character trying to stick his finger up Saito's rear.

badarchetype

Nov 20, 2017
I went ahead and 100%ed my Code: Realize on Vita finally so I could move onto the fandisk after a break (for some reason the trophies didn't count my route starts or true ends so that was a lot of autoing for Platinum). Also need to figure out transferring my backup to my computer since apparently if you delete PSN games it'll take the save with it, but I desperately need the space on my card if I wanna grab Norn9 for sale whenever the holiday deals roll around again.

2019 is gonna be the year I finally clear out my backlog! Up next, getting the last 60% of Collar x Malice (on Aiji's route but skipped a lot of alternate ends). I hope we get that fandisk!

Also found a copy of Uta no Prince-sama Repeat for Vita at AnimeNYC. Gonna stumble through it with my elementary Japanese reading comprehension haha! I tried once on PSP a long while ago but reading Kanji on that screen was a nightmare.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
The game was supposed to come out in fall, but now they've changed it to winter so it's probably early 2019.

I always get confused by XSEED's release date announcements. Included Fate/Extella and this in my list of games I was looking forward to in 2018... but now it looks like they're both 2019.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Kyoto Winds, Edo Blossoms, and Amnesia are all on apart of the PSN Flash Sale at huge discounts.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017

81nGMo-wYFL._AC_SL1477_.jpg

917usl3DdaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81Rca9UWxhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
"XSEED Games has announced that London Detective Mysteria will release digitally on the PlayStation®Store for the PlayStation®Vita on December 18, 2018 in North America and Europe for $29.99, €29.99, and £24.99. There is currently no release date for the PC version as they work to make sure the conversion will give PC players the best experience."

Source: Otome Obsessed.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Awesome news for Vita owners and good to see the PC version is not just being dumped on Steam with issues (not that I think XSEED has done that with a game, but other publishers have).

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
London Detective Mysteria embargo will be lifted on release date, look forward to impressions and maybe a few full reviews then.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the verdict on this one? Not a big fan of the art, but the setting seems cool.

I've been playing for the last few days and really enjoying it. At first, you might think it's similar to Code Realize and brings nothing new, but it turns into a mystery game with lots of chapters where you'll get to experience some surprises that are keeping me really engaged.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, also been playing for the last few days and have been pleasantly surprised. Nice cast and plot has been interesting so far.

This is the longest common route I've ever seen on an otome game though. I dunno if Otomate titles just tend to have briefer ones and this is the norm?

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Really wish D3 had released some of their otome on Vita in the west. Oh well. I guess I should be happy they're coming at all!

Wonder if Koei-Tecmo will finally start localizing for the west going forward now their franchises are moving to PS4/Switch.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
How long, hours-wise, is the common route and the average route after that?

I still want to play Ashen Hawk first (I'm gonna start in the next few weeks, I just need to get back to Death Mark's DLC first) but after that I'm up for digging into it given how much y'all have praised it. Just wanna know what I'm looking at time-wise so I can schedule it in around other games.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
So I recently finished Collar X Malice and Bad Apple Wars. I really enjoyed Collar, but I didn't like BAW.

Also, I played Code: Realize a few years back and I actually enjoyed it. Could someone explain to me the differences between Future Blessings, Wintertide Miracles, and the Bouquet of Rainbows are? They seem to be all fan discs, or sequels, or bundles?

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
So I recently finished Collar X Malice and Bad Apple Wars. I really enjoyed Collar, but I didn't like BAW.

Also, I played Code: Realize a few years back and I actually enjoyed it. Could someone explain to me the differences between Future Blessings, Wintertide Miracles, and the Bouquet of Rainbows are? They seem to be all fan discs, or sequels, or bundles?

Sure thing!

• Guardian of Rebirth: The original game you played on Vita.
  • Future Blessings: The sequel/fandisc on Vita.
  • Bouquet of Rainbows: PS4 complilation of both GoR and FB; released the same day as FB in English.
  • Wintertide Miracles: Second sequel/fandisc releasing on both Vita and PS4.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I'm beginning to think London Detective Mysteria is the most problematic otome title to ever be translated.

You'll see Emily, the protagonist, shot at, slapped, punched, cut, being groped and almost raped several times, being held at gunpoint, just to drive the point that she needs a man to save her everytime it happens. Everything she does, you know will backfire, or she does something you could see as stupid from miles away, but she doesn't know any better.

This is absolutely disgusting and I'm not one to support such a problematic approach to the romance genre just to make you "fall in love" for one of the guys.

I love that XSEED localized an otome, but not like this. It won't get my support.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh I'm still trying to work through Ashen Hawk but it's SUCH a slog. I get a bite of story then it sends me to the map and there's fuckin' 19 or whatever new short scenes that contribute NOTHING for me to have to sit through. I hate this.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, it's still like the first in that way? That's frustrating; I thought the concept of that was interesting but the execution just made me wish the scenes were part of the routes as normal.

I'm fiiiinally getting back to Death Mark's DLC, so I'll be starting AH within a month, I guess. And meanwhile if Mysteria's really like that... probably skipping it; shame it ended up like that.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Black Butterfly the same?
Kind of. BB had its short stories off of the main route in the flowchart I felt like they were always accessible.
AH has them in the story itself kind of. I don't know if you've played it yet but for the uninitiated, periodically in the story you get sent to a map screen. It has like 8 locations on it and each has 3-5 short scenes and one might have a side scene and another will have the MAIN scene.
These short scenes are NOT in the flowchart, while there are still the side scenes in the flowchart that you have to unlock with whatever the currency is.
You get the currency from the short scenes in the maps.
So I don't wanna skip them and be short on currency, especially since I haven't found if I can go back to them yet, but they are dreadfully boring and absolutely murder the pacing of the game to the point I've been managing to get through 3-4 a MONTH before shelving the game again.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of. BB had its short stories off of the main route in the flowchart I felt like they were always accessible.
AH has them in the story itself kind of. I don't know if you've played it yet but for the uninitiated, periodically in the story you get sent to a map screen. It has like 8 locations on it and each has 3-5 short scenes and one might have a side scene and another will have the MAIN scene.
These short scenes are NOT in the flowchart, while there are still the side scenes in the flowchart that you have to unlock with whatever the currency is.
You get the currency from the short scenes in the maps.
So I don't wanna skip them and be short on currency, especially since I haven't found if I can go back to them yet, but they are dreadfully boring and absolutely murder the pacing of the game to the point I've been managing to get through 3-4 a MONTH before shelving the game again.

Well, seems like last year was the year of quantity over quality when it comes to otome.

badarchetype

Nov 20, 2017
I recently got a Microsoft Surface Go to play some PC VNs on. Finished Sweet Pool and was kinda underwhelmed by Fashioning Little Miss Lonesome. And Nightshade isn't on sale so I'd probably just get it on Switch if I have to pay full price.

Anyone else have any PC game recommendations? Was thinking I'd redownload Nameless and Ozmafia to finish some routes I missed last time until some of the new MangaGamer otome/BL releases come out.