• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Are there brand new otome titles out that don't have a Vita port attached to it? It's still too soon to panic, I'd say.

The fact that they only announced a FD (which also has a ps4 version) is quite telling.

There are a few Switch only releases coming, but none of them have a release date.

Aksys didn't even bother with CxM Unlimited

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that they only announced a FD (which also has a ps4 version) is quite telling.

There are a few Switch only releases coming, but none of them have a release date.

Aksys didn't even bother with CxM Ultimate.

I still say it's too soon to make that claim, let's wait until they announce a Switch or PS4 exclusive.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
There's no panic, just disappointment. There's so many great titles that aren't localized, and probably won't get ported either. Yet the last title we'll probably get is a mediocre FD.

We got four otome titles from Aksys this year, were you expecting more for 2018? Code: Realize Windertide Miracles won't be the only otome for 2019, for sure.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
We got four otome titles from Aksys this year, were you expecting more for 2018? Code: Realize Windertide Miracles won't be the only otome for 2019, for sure.

Not this year. I really doubt we'll get more vita otome from them.

And, of course it won't be. By this time next year, they'll have plenty of Switch ports to choose from.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
There's no panic, just disappointment. There's so many great titles that aren't localized, and probably won't get ported either. Yet the last title we'll probably get is a mediocre FD.

I mean, I'll buy this to support one of the final physical Vita games in the west (Aksys can do it, why can't Atlus) and ofc for more Impey, but in general my interest in fandiscs is low. I'd much rather we get original otome so I can explore new worlds with new characters. That, plus there's a lot of series that are likely to never be expanded in the future (like I imagine Bad Apple Wars/Period Cube/Psychedelica) so the more of those we see before it's too late, the better.

With that said, Aksys did mention in that interview a few days ago that they can see a future for digital otome on Vita and C;R is physical, sooo....

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'll buy this to support one of the final physical Vita games in the west (Aksys can do it, why can't Atlus) and ofc for more Impey, but in general my interest in fandiscs is low. I'd much rather we get original otome so I can explore new worlds with new characters. That, plus there's a lot of series that are likely to never be expanded in the future (like I imagine Bad Apple Wars/Period Cube/Psychedelica) so the more of those we see before it's too late, the better.

With that said, Aksys did mention in that interview a few days ago that they can see a future for digital otome on Vita and C;R is physical, sooo....

Yeah, I prefer original games over FDs too. And after how mediocre I found C:R's FD to be, I was more looking forward to CxM.

We might get a game from IFI, but they play it way too safe in terms of choosing which games to localize.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, I bought pretty much every single otome released this year, aside from two that I got review codes for. I welcome a break for the rest of the year.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
By the way, I bought pretty much every single otome released this year, aside from two that I got review codes for. I welcome a break for the rest of the year.

I've been spacing out my otome playthroughs (only recently finished CxM), so I have enough to last until next year, but I'm gonna need something more meaty than just a CR fandisc by then :P

We might get a game from IFI, but they play it way too safe in terms of choosing which games to localize.

Probably just that Hakuouki Collection for PS4 & Switch.

... and no Tokyo Clanpool, although that's not for this thread :P

Hey, maybe they picked up Sweet School Life!

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
I'm almost done with Psychedelica of the Ashen Hawk, and I love it? Black Butterfly was good (albeit not without its problems), but I'm just enjoying Ashen Hawk significantly more. The focus on a bigger cast definitely helps, the short stories are better and the format isn't as confusing as it was in BB. Having an older cast of characters was a big plus.

If I'd have to make a comparison, I'd say BB is more juvenile. Which is not surprising given its focus on a few high-schoolers. The characters in AH are given more room to breathe and the game's structure gives it an illusion of being a much longer game (Both a positive and a negative, depending on how you see it). I love how the game's title and aesthetics are incorporated into the story, and all the nods to BB made me giddy. This is definitely not a lighthearted game; it deals with several things including depression, anxiety, one's self-worth, etc. Nothing in this game is black and white. And.I.love.it.

It's easily my GOTY so far.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Any news on the Aksys buttons? I assume they are going through their piles of emails, after cleaning up from AX.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Any news on the Aksys buttons? I assume they are going through their piles of emails, after cleaning up from AX.

I'm almost done with Psychedelica of the Ashen Hawk, and I love it? Black Butterfly was good (albeit not without its problems), but I'm just enjoying Ashen Hawk significantly more. The focus on a bigger cast definitely helps, the short stories are better and the format isn't as confusing as it was in BB. Having an older cast of characters was a big plus.

If I'd have to make a comparison, I'd say BB is more juvenile. Which is not surprising given its focus on a few high-schoolers. The characters in AH are given more room to breathe and the game's structure gives it an illusion of being a much longer game (Both a positive and a negative, depending on how you see it). I love how the game's title and aesthetics are incorporated into the story, and all the nods to BB made me giddy. This is definitely not a lighthearted game; it deals with several things including depression, anxiety, one's self-worth, etc. Nothing in this game is black and white. And.I.love.it.

It's easily my GOTY so far.

Wow, high praise.

Honestly, before they came over I was anticipating BB the most and AH the least (7S somewhere in the middle) and it seems like the tables are completely flipped based on impressions I'm reading.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Can I play Ashen Hawk before Black Butterfly?

I'd advise against it. You'll miss out on all the BB references in Ashen Hawk. If you're observant enough, it may even semi-spoil things for you.

Wow, high praise.

Honestly, before they came over I was anticipating BB the most and AH the least (7S somewhere in the middle) and it seems like the tables are completely flipped based on impressions I'm reading.

I wanted to play AH the most, so I'm glad I ended up enjoying it the most as well. Jed is also an awesome protagonist. BB and 7'S disappointed me in that regard. I'd say Jed is even better than Cardia.

The game is not without its flaws however. Romance can feel awkward from time to time. One nitpick that may annoy quite a few people is that it can also be subtle. Quite a lot can happen in a short amount of time; between the character interviews and exposition, it's easy to miss or even forget about certain romantic developments.

This is also the first game where the canon love interest is my favorite.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I'd advise against it. You'll miss out on all the BB references in Ashen Hawk. If you're observant enough, it may even semi-spoil things for you.

I wanted to play AH the most, so I'm glad I ended up enjoying it the most as well. Jed is also an awesome protagonist. BB and 7'S disappointed me in that regard. I'd say Jed is even better than Cardia.

The game is not without its flaws however. Romance can feel awkward from time to time. One nitpick that may annoy quite a few people is that it can also be subtle. Quite a lot can happen in a short amount of time; between the character interviews and exposition, it's easy to miss or even forget about certain romantic developments.

This is also the first game where the canon love interest is my favorite.

How long were the three games for you?

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
How long were the three games for you?

None of them are particularly long games. Out of the three, Ashen Hawk felt the longest, I'd say: AH > 7'Scarlet > BB

You can finish BB pretty quickly; according to PSNProfiles it took me 1 day and 4 hours to platinum BB. 7'Scarlet took me 1 day and 9 hours.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
None of them are particularly long games. Out of the three, Ashen Hawk felt the longest, I'd say: AH > 7'Scarlet > BB

You can finish BB pretty quickly; according to PSNProfiles it took me 1 day and 4 hours to platinum BB. 7'Scarlet took me 1 day and 9 hours.

Do you usually wait until the voice work is over for each line? That's what usually makes my playtimes for visual novels really long. I could never imagine myself finishing such a visual novel in two days.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Do you usually wait until the voice work is over for each line? That's what usually makes my playtimes for visual novels really long. I could never imagine myself finishing such a visual novel in two days.

Depends. I tend to listen to some voiced lines, but since I read really fast it can get annoying so I end up not waiting. The best part about the Psychedelica games is that, for the most part, you can use the flowchart to jump into certain scenes. You won't have to wait around with Skip Text enabled. Once you're done with the common routes in both games, it'll be short work to finish the rest. With the exception of two routes in BB which are annoying to unlock.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Depends. I tend to listen to some voiced lines, but since I read really fast it can get annoying so I end up not waiting. The best part about the Psychedelica games is that, for the most part, you can use the flowchart to jump into certain scenes. You won't have to wait around with Skip Text enabled. Once you're done with the common routes in both games, it'll be short work to finish the rest. With the exception of two routes in BB which are annoying to unlock.

Did you follow or do you know any guide for Black Butterfly?

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Did you follow or do you know any guide for Black Butterfly?

You'll definitely want a guide for both Psychedelica games. ESPECIALLY BB.

I used this one:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/vita/826392-psychedelica-of-the-black-butterfly/faqs/75885

Just two things: Leave Hikage for last, for Aki and Takuya endings don't use the flowchart. Just start the game from the beginning. I had no issue with Takuya's, but Aki's ending took me 3 painful playthroughs because I couldn't get it to unlock.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
You'll definitely want a guide for both Psychedelica games. ESPECIALLY BB.

I used this one:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/vita/826392-psychedelica-of-the-black-butterfly/faqs/75885

Just two things: Leave Hikage for last, for Aki and Takuya endings don't use the flowchart. Just start the game from the beginning. I had no issue with Takuya's, but Aki's ending took me 3 painful playthroughs because I couldn't get it to unlock.

What's the order you suggest?

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017

Wow, you play this stuff quickly!

I've been playing Collar x Malice for what feels like a long time. Been chipping away an hour or so a day for what feels like three weeks now and I've still only done three routes. Is it longer than other otomes or am I just slow?

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing Collar x Malice for what feels like a long time. Been chipping away an hour or so a day for what feels like three weeks now and I've still only done three routes. Is it longer than other otomes or am I just slow?

I've played Collar x Malice for months and all I achieved were Enomoto and Okazaki's endings. By the way, I think Aksys' Collar x Malice website has been hacked, I tried to access it right now and it redirected me to some mobile game nonsense ad.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
What's the order you suggest?

Yamato = Karasuba > Kagiha > Monshiro > Hikage. You'll get the true ending first no matter what, and Yamato vs Karasuba is a matter of preference. Kagiha in the middle so you can facepalm your way through it, and then Monshiro and Hikage which are best saved for last.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I've played Collar x Malice for months and all I achieved were Enomoto and Okazaki's endings. By the way, I think Aksys' Collar x Malice website has been hacked, I tried to access it right now and it redirected me to some mobile game nonsense ad.

It noted a while back on Google "this site might be hacked" and had issues for a while... I guess it got hit again/was never fully fixed?

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Yamato = Karasuba > Kagiha > Monshiro > Hikage. You'll get the true ending first no matter what, and Yamato vs Karasuba is a matter of preference. Kagiha in the middle so you can facepalm your way through it, and then Monshiro and Hikage which are best saved for last.

Thank you for all your help, I might start it right away as I finished Muv-Luv Extra and Unlimited this week!

It noted a while back on Google "this site might be hacked" and had issues for a while... I guess it got hit again/was never fully fixed?

These companies don't usually care about maintaining these websites after the game has been released, but they should at least shut it down instead of leaving them open for hackers to do what they want with those.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, you play this stuff quickly!

Yeah, Hakuoki, C:R and CxM are the three longer otome games. All the others are short.

For comparison, platinum for CxM took me 4 days and 11 hours, Period Cube 1 day and 23 hours and C:R took me 4 days and 14 hours. BAW was really short, but apparently my soul died in the middle of playing it so it took me over 2 weeks to finish it. Hakuoki was just absurdly long.

Thank you for all your help, I might start it right away as I finished Muv-Luv Extra and Unlimited this week!

These companies don't usually care about maintaining these websites after the game has been released, but they should at least shut it down instead of leaving them open for hackers to do what they want with those.

No problem! Hope you enjoy the game.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017

I've done Enomoto, Okazaki and Sasazuka, so I've still got two to go x-x

Yeah, Hakuoki, C:R and CxM are the three longer otome games. All the others are short.

For comparison, platinum for CxM took me 4 days and 11 hours, Period Cube 1 day and 23 hours and C:R took me 4 days and 14 hours. BAW was really short, but apparently my soul died in the middle of playing it so it took me over 2 weeks to finish it. Hakuoki was just absurdly long.

Oh wow, the four otome I own are Hakuouki, Collar x Malice, Code Realize and Period Cube haha. I've played CxM and CR and found them both a bit lengthy. Guess I should try out one of the others next.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
I've done Enomoto, Okazaki and Sasazuka, so I've still got two to go x-x

Oh wow, the four otome I own are Hakuouki, Collar x Malice, Code Realize and Period Cube haha. I've played CxM and CR and found them both a bit lengthy. Guess I should try out one of the others next.

You have the two best routes left!

Yanagi's route made me realize I'm growing older...

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
You have the two best routes left!

Yanagi's route made me realize I'm growing older...

With Code Realize, I didn't do all the routes but I felt like I'd seen enough for it to make sense with me just seeing two (Impey and Frankenstein... I know, I'm sure I missed out on loads and I do plan to return to it one day).

With Collar x Malice... due to the overarching mystery there's just so much missing to the story that I am powering on, but it's becoming a bit of a drag.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
With Code Realize, I didn't do all the routes but I felt like I'd seen enough for it to make sense with me just seeing two (Impey and Frankenstein... I know, I'm sure I missed out on loads and I do plan to return to it one day).

With Collar x Malice... due to the overarching mystery there's just so much missing to the story that I am powering on, but it's becoming a bit of a drag.

Definitely go back!

Only bummer about CxM is how easy it was to figure out stuff. Realizing who the big bad was in my first route was underwhelming lol.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely go back!

Only bummer about CxM is how easy it was to figure out stuff. Realizing who the big bad was in my first route was underwhelming lol.

I'm more likely to try a different otome once I'm finished with CxM because if they are indeed shorter, that'll be a nice refreshing change of pace.

I haven't actually figured anything out in terms of the mystery yet. I'm not particularly good at this kinda stuff though :P

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more likely to try a different otome once I'm finished with CxM because if they are indeed shorter, that'll be a nice refreshing change of pace.

I haven't actually figured anything out in terms of the mystery yet. I'm not particularly good at this kinda stuff though :P

Then you can be surprised! :P

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, you play through things fast Saphirax. Even when I try to dedicate time to them, these games can take weeks or more due to how many other things I play. VN in general-wise I've finally gotten back to Chaos;Child in the past week or so, and would like to finaaaaally start Black Butterfly now that I've finished the common route of C;C at a rapid pace, but I know I'm falling into a few character routes of that first and leaving starting B.B. till after...

Is 7'scarlet good? I feel like I've heard 0 talk of it, and I want to judge what to play when. At this rate I'll hope to get B.B. + one more in before 428 comes out and I play that...

Hah, I'd definitely say if you've only played those 2 in C:R you haven't quite understood everything that's happening yet.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Hah, I'd definitely say if you've only played those 2 in C:R you haven't quite understood everything that's happening yet.

Oh, I know there were mysteries that went unresolved in those routes. But I was happy with what I'd seen. In CxM each route is just giving me some Adonis fodder reveals so I kinda feel like I have to see it all to make sense.

I don't know it you guys can answer it - have Aksys ever confirmed or not whether the two Psychedelicas and 7Scarlet will be getting EU physical releases? I know they've been super late with them in the past so I dunno whether to wait or just import.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, you play through things fast Saphirax. Even when I try to dedicate time to them, these games can take weeks or more due to how many other things I play. VN in general-wise I've finally gotten back to Chaos;Child in the past week or so, and would like to finaaaaally start Black Butterfly now that I've finished the common route of C;C at a rapid pace, but I know I'm falling into a few character routes of that first and leaving starting B.B. till after...

Is 7'scarlet good? I feel like I've heard 0 talk of it, and I want to judge what to play when. At this rate I'll hope to get B.B. + one more in before 428 comes out and I play that...

Yeah, I usually don't play anything else until I'm done with VNs. I may play for 15 minutes or so just to see how the game is and then drop it for months, but once I actually start playing I rarely stop.

7'scarlet is...uhh middling, I'd say. I enjoyed 2 routes and some of the mystery. Ichiko, however, is one of the worst protagonists in any VN ever. She's completely dependent on her love interest to move the plot along. It's infuriating. If you're in the mood for it, I'd say give it a chance. You might get some enjoyment out of it, but you're not missing much if you decide to skip it.

Oh, I know there were mysteries that went unresolved in those routes. But I was happy with what I'd seen. In CxM each route is just giving me some Adonis fodder reveals so I kinda feel like I have to see it all to make sense.

I don't know it you guys can answer it - have Aksys ever confirmed or not whether the two Psychedelicas and 7Scarlet will be getting EU physical releases? I know they've been super late with them in the past so I dunno whether to wait or just import.

Ughh, Aksys has been all over the place about EU releases that I'm not sure anymore. I can tell you that the games might become harder to find in the (near) future. BB already went out of stock once.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
7'scarlet is...uhh middling, I'd say. I enjoyed 2 routes and some of the mystery. Ichiko, however, is one of the worst protagonists in any VN ever. She's completely dependent on her love interest to move the plot along. It's infuriating. If you're in the mood for it, I'd say give it a chance. You might get some enjoyment out of it, but you're not missing much if you decide to skip it.
I have gotten through three routes so far and I have to agree. She also does some really dumb stuff when she
decides to run off in the early morning or night by herself when she knows there is an attacker/killer out there.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
I have gotten through three routes so far and I have to agree. She also does some really dumb stuff when she
decides to run off in the early morning or night by herself when she knows there is an attacker/killer out there.

Can't have an otome without a damsel in distress.

At least you have the good routes left! (Hopefully)

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I too heard that 7scarlet was average, will probably wait for a sale on that one.