• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I started playing Resident Evil HD Remake on Steam and I was wondering if there are indeed other games like this one: Fixed Camera, Inventory, few ammunitions/healing items etc.

Right now I can think Dino Crisis and Alone in the Dark. There are some other indie games that have this formula, but I don't remember their names...

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Carrier on Dreamcast

Had some of the most unintentionally hilarious voice acting too

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
In cold blood on ps1

Edit: Might be more adventure style than I remembed, it was a loong time ago.

Last edited:

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
This is a pretty nostalgic thread. I still remember that period of time where it felt like games inspired by RE popped up all the time, but so many have been forgotten today. There's something really unique about the feeling of camera angle changes, awkward movement (remember how characters would hug walls or generally walk into doors before opening them? haha), clumsy combat, but this sense of like "wow they are trying something pretty cinematic here" way before full 3D cinematic action adventure games became possible. The slower pace of motion in interior settings was was always interesting.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Check out the Project Zero / Fatal Frame series. Great atmosphere and the camera mechanic is pretty unique (you take picture of ghosts to fight them).

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most people don't remember this one. Blair Witch Volume I: Rustin Parr. It was a survival horror game that managed to snag a 9/10 from Eurogamer back in the day, and positive reviews in general, with its length being a caveat. There were three games commissioned. Each by a different studio. Terminal Reality, Human Head, and Ritual. Terminal Reality's game is pretty much universally considered the outstanding entry.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Galerians for PS1.

Galerians: Ash for PS2. Actually seeing this, I remember I never played it because I didn't realize this had a more modern third person camera.

OP
OP
SweetSark

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Most people don't remember this one. Blair Witch Volume I: Rustin Parr. It was a survival horror game that managed to snag a 9/10 from Eurogamer back in the day, and positive reviews in general, with its length being a caveat. There were three games commissioned. Each by a different studio. Terminal Reality, Human Head, and Ritual. Terminal Reality's game is pretty much universally considered the outstanding entry.

I just remembered these games as well.
There is also from the same Devs another similar game [I think] named "Nocturne ".

300px-Nocturne_cover.png

Funny fact I remember also: The Protagonist of Nocturne make also a cameo appearance in these Blair Witch games, hahahaha!!!

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
This is a pretty nostalgic thread. I still remember that period of time where it felt like games inspired by RE popped up all the time, but so many have been forgotten today. There's something really unique about the feeling of camera angle changes, awkward movement (remember how characters would hug walls or generally walk into doors before opening them? haha), clumsy combat, but this sense of like "wow they are trying something pretty cinematic here" way before full 3D cinematic action adventure games became possible. The slower pace of motion in interior settings was was always interesting.

A lot of games followed the pre-rendered background/fixed camera/tank controls template (I mean, RE was far from the first game to do this.) but most didn't have the same emphasis on inventory and ressource management in the same way that classic RE did. Also, RE's tank controls were precise and worked well, not every game from that era had the same kind of polish.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Ever since the first Resident Evil I've been on the lookout for similar games. There are quite a few, but the problem with 90% of them is that they're not very good.
Turns out it's very hard to make a good survival horror game.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Blue Stinger on the Dreamcast was always one of my favourite 'Resident Evil clones'

Last edited:

SantosStrife

Oct 27, 2017
From my memory:

Parasite Eve 2 is similar, but I think the first game is better/unique.

Koudelka - the gameplay is similar to RE, but is a RPG hybrid. The battles are similar to a strategy turn based combat. Great atmosphere, and the story is actually pretty good.

You mentioned Dino Crisis and Alone in the Dark, OP please consider Silent Hill as well, I think is actually the thing you're looking for.

Galerians for PS1.

Galerians: Ash for PS2. Actually seeing this, I remember I never played it because I didn't realize this had a more modern third person camera.

Galerians 1 and 2 are actually great games, but unfortunately people most people didn't even know the games exist.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing reminded me more of Resident Evil than Fatal Frame Crimson Butterfly, it's really good and still looks good too on PCSX2.

FFV or Blackwater Maidens is trash though, I don't need Nintendo handholding in my survival horror, thank you very much. Ugh.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
What was the game called the seemed like a the game version of The Facility and one character even looked like Josh Hartnett?
Really like those.

Edit: Obscure

Kaxi

Oct 30, 2017
Poland
I can recommend White Night.

Although it's more like original Alone in the Dark, which RE was insired by.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
Extermination on the PS2.
The first game I bought for my PS2 back then, besides the bundled Gran Tursimo 3, because it looked like I could like it and it was discounted by 30%.

Ended up being super bored by GT3 and really digged Extermination. Came here to post this game, but you took care of that. :)

I wonder why nobody brought up Dead Space yet, though...?

EDIT: oh, you said fixed camera. That's really rare.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The first game I bought for my PS2 back then, besides the bundled Gran Tursimo 3, because it looked like I could like it and it was discounted by 30%.

Ended up being super bored by GT3 and really digged Extermination. Came here to post this game, but you took care of that. :)

I wonder why nobody brought up Dead Space yet, though...?

Dead Space was very clearly inspired by RE4, it doesn't honestly share a whole lot with the fixed camera games

Carroway

Oct 25, 2017
I think silent hill 1-3 and fear effect are the closest that I can think of, off the top of my head. Eternal Darkness is another. Obscure for the PS2 is also pretty good for that surival horror itch and it has local co-op also!

Parasite Eve 1 and 2 especially 2.

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
In cold blood on ps1

Edit: Might be more adventure style than I remembed, it was a loong time ago.

Man, I thought I was the only person who ever played this game - it was genuinely excellent for it's day and had a lot of smart design decisions. More RPG/ Adventure style than survival horror, but still an excellent game.

ElderlyGoose

Jan 28, 2019
No mention of Rule of Rose? As garbage as that game was it definitely fit that genre.
I'd say the Fatal Frame/Project Zero series does as well.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Man, I thought I was the only person who ever played this game - it was genuinely excellent for it's day and had a lot of smart design decisions. More RPG/ Adventure style than survival horror, but still an excellent game.
Yeah, it was some time ago so my mind played tricks on me. Did it have shooting mechanics or am I remembering incorrectly? Really liked it though and still got a sealed EU copy which had a nice cover.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Parasite Eve 1 and 2(especially this one),Dino Crisis 1/2(more action than horror though ),Cold Fear,Alone in the Dark:The New Nightmare,Eternal Darkness(?)

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
There's a really bad one called Virus: It is Aware for PS1 and PC. Not worth playing but hey, it's there.

Pretty sure Cryo Interactive did a few of these but they were all stinkers. I used to read OPM UK at the time and they'd always lambast every title they reviewed.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Some of these were probably mentioned but I love this type of game, and have been trying to collect some of them for my game library.

PS1:

Overblood
Soul of the Samurai
Dino Crisis, Dino Crisis 2
Covert Ops: Nuclear Dawn
Fear Effect / Fear Effect 2

Dreamcast:

Carrier
Alone in the Dark: New Nightmare (also on PS1)
Evil Dead: Hail to the King (also on PS1)
Blue Stinger

PS2:

Onimusha series (Genma Onimusha on Xbox)
Obscure (also on Xbox), Obscure: The Aftermath (also on Wii)
Extermination
X-Files: Resist or Serve

Gamecube:

Eternal Darkness

Nov 22, 2017
I remember liking what I played of "The Thing" on PS2.. Although I don't recall if there is inventory management.

And more like a Clock Tower spiritual successor you have "Hunting Ground" which is quite good !

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Yeah, it was some time ago so my mind played tricks on me. Did it have shooting mechanics or am I remembering incorrectly? Really liked it though and still got a sealed EU copy which had a nice cover.

Yeah it had shooting and guns, though it wasn't predominantly a shooter - I remember holding people up at gun point, frisking them information and then laying them out. I guess it was kind of like an espionage thriller take on Monkey Island but with RE aesthetics.