• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Palm Springs was pretty good, and is free to watch.
Memento, in a weird sense? I feel like any movie that messes with how the timeline is perceived could count.
Not a movie, but The Travelers was entertaining.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
Time Crime is one my favorite. Also liked Palm Springs and Edge of Tomorrow. I can honestly watch 100 of these movies. I want to see Boss Level when it comes out next month.

Edit: Oh and Russian Dolls!

Last edited:

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
12 Monkeys!

The best sci-fi movie without any fancy special effects!
Twelve_monkeysmp.jpg

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I vaguely remember the TV Movie 12:01 from around the same time as Groundhog Day. I thought it was surprisingly good from memory. It hasn't been on TV again, though.

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
It's been a long time since I watched it, but I remembering thinking that Looper was fantastic.

n00bp

Oct 28, 2017
Edge of Tomorrow is an amazing movie and also the correct answer.

Happy Death Day (the first one!) was also a fun take

People mentioning Terminator are wrong, as it only creates a time loop but it's not something a character in the movie experiences or that we as an audience really see and as such it doesn't count as a time loop movie

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
As a huge fan of the book, I actually really liked Edge of Tomorrow but then ending was bad bad bad bad in the film..but god damn the rest of the movie is still so fun.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely Palm Springs, and I say that as someone with next to zero patience for Andy Samberg. That movie just worked.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I think Edge of Tomorrow is easily my favorite, even though I love Groundhog Day.

It did pretty much everything right and even gives you some more to go on after the hook of it all has been done. Tom Cruise also had a noted look of despair further and further he went, as one would expect, but you could always see why and it was great.

I also want to peer into the alternate timeline where we got Groundhog Day as it was originally envisioned and had some of the more somber story beats like Phil reading a page of a book per day until you later realize he no longer has any more books to read.

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really looking forward to the thread tomorrow about Groundhog day and Stargate references now :)

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This is a pretty fun trope if done in a fresh way; I'm guessing the reason it's not seen that often is that, due to its very nature, a single work can explore and exhaust a lot of potential plot implications, leaving little for each subsequent work. You can't just make a time loop movie because that's just Groundhog Day and GD did about everything you can do in an "everyday scenario"; you need to change a core element to not retread it. The best examples do just that: Russian Doll (two people separately trapped in the loop), Edge of Tomorrow (action sci-fi), etc.

Terminator 2 is time travel, but isn't it specifically time travel to create a time loop? John Connor in the future sends T-800 back to the past to save Past-John Connor so that he can live to become future John Connor

There's two very different meanings of "time loop" in fiction:
- Works that feature a time loop paradox; a self-perpetuating chain of events that becomes a loop through time travel, thus every event is proximate or distal cause of every other event, including itself.
- Works where the main character's consciousness is stuck in a time loop where they re-experience a period of time over and over.

There's otherwise little thematic connection between the two meanings, and discussing both in the same thread is only going to result in two groups of people talking past each other. Given that a cursory read of the OP (and its mention of Groundhog Day and Edge of Tomorrow) makes it plenty clear they are referring to the latter, it makes sense to focus on them.

Steenbock

Nov 1, 2017
Gotta toss my vote in for Edge of Tomorrow. Really enjoyed this in the theater, and on multiple re-watches on bluray. I've been planning on seeing Happy Death Day, and now I feel like I need to look into Palm Springs.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Not a movie, but Agents of Shield, S7E9 is a really fun time loop romp.

I'll jump in on Palm Springs. Was extremely surprised about that one!

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Primer by a long shot. The time loop mechanics are very interesting, consistent, and leaves more than enough to interpretation since you have to infer the results of some of the time loops.