• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a few seasons out from finishing Parks & Recreation and would like to line up another sitcom in the meantime. It isn't significantly important that the next one I watch is formatted in this fashion but I do find speaking to the audience really appealing. Do any other shows do this? If not, what are some shows that are similar in humor to these two?

winjet81

Oct 27, 2017
Malcolm in the Middle... not a mockumentary but always breaking through the 4th wall.

Bonus to see the emerging genius of Bryan Cranston.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
That muppets sitcom in the style of the office. It's quite hit and miss though.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Arrested Development as well. It has both a narrator and interview segments.

How I Met Your Mother also has a narrator talking directly to the audience, and I think there's some fourth wall breakage there but not a true mockumentary style setup. Also avoid at the very least the last season.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
It's not the same 4th wall breaking talking to the camera as Fleabag but Peepshow has an interesting take on perspective.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Peepshow kind of. Each frame is the first-person perspective of any given character. But it doesn't have that fly-on-the-wall approach those two do.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mr Robot, to some extent, from the protagonist. At least in seasons 1-3. (I haven't watched any of the last season yet)

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trial & Error lasted two seasons on NBC and does a version of this. The show was so funny too and I was so disappointed when it was canceled. Give it a shot!

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_lr14ofDIvJ1qcnihto1_r1_500.gif

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
The original run of Arrested Development. Narrator Ron Howard talks directly to the audience.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Saved by the Bell? lol

Arrested Development as well. It has both a narrator and interview segments.
Arrested Development might be my favorite comedy ever (first three seasons, obviously). I have watched the whole run multiple times and I don't recall any interview segments.
It's more "inner mologue" but Parker Lewis Can't Lose is a childhood classic
Came to post this and delighted to find it already here.
Reno 911 is an excellent mockumentary.
Yes!
Peepshow kind of. Each frame is the first-person perspective of any given character. But it doesn't have that fly-on-the-wall approach those two do.
Also yes!

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There's a Muppets version on Disney+. It only got a season when it was on ABC but I wish there was more.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Trailer Park Boys is the one to come to mind. Love that show btw, only recently started watching it and now I'm already up to season 10 (the worst one so far, but still funny).

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
If you're looking for movies, all of Christopher Guests' movies follow the mockumentary format. It's widely considered the inspiration for the format of The Office and other mockumentary shows. So... This is Spinal Tap, Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, A Mighty Wind, etc. I think Best in Show and This is Spinal Tap are the best Christopher Guest movies. After watching Best in Show -- which is probably my favorite comedy movie -- go ahead and start up Schitt's Creek. It's not mockumentary, but coming from Best in SHow, it's a great tv show that stars the two leads from Best in Show but in very, very different roles. It takes like 3-4 episodes to get going IMO.

Does the quality of any season dip as much as the latter seasons of The Office?

Modern Family never hits any of the highs of The Office or Parks and Rec. It's still a pretty good show, but it's a safe mostly family-friendly comedy. It's a good-hearted show that has its moments. I don't think the latter seasons are as far of a fall from the earlier ones, the show is *very* formulaic... Every episode basically follows the same format after a while.

"A misunderstanding between characters, driven by their unique personalities, leads to an impasse that gets heart-warmingly resolved in the final scene."

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Modern Family never hits any of the highs of The Office or Parks and Rec. It's still a pretty good show, but it's a safe mostly family-friendly comedy. It's a good-hearted show that has its moments. I don't think the latter seasons are as far of a fall from the earlier ones, the show is *very* formulaic... Every episode basically follows the same format after a while.

"A misunderstanding between characters, driven by their unique personalities, leads to an impasse that gets heart-warmingly resolved in the final scene."
Hmm I'm not sure I'm sold on the show yet. lol May have to try something else out. But thanks.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I'm not sure I'm sold on the show yet. lol May have to try something else out. But thanks.

For movies, check out Best in Show. It's about 20 years old now, but it's IMO, the best mockumentary comedy movie and provides the format for The Office, Parks & rec, etc. This is Spinal Tap is also amazing, but about a decade older even.

Shoulder cam shots, interviews with the producers, the break-a-way camera that zooms in on someone's reaction, etc. are all ideas techniques that Christopher Guests' comedy movies perfected.

SecondVariety

Oct 29, 2017
I recommend Borderline on Netflix. It takes a few episodes to distinguish itself a little bit from its Office framing. There are only 12 episodes, and the second season is much better.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Saved by the Bell? lol

Arrested Development might be my favorite comedy ever (first three seasons, obviously). I have watched the whole run multiple times and I don't recall any interview segments.

Hmm... you're probably right. I was thinking of the "but it might work for us" scene but it wasn't them doing an interview, just talking to each other with a camera crew there. But they clearly play with the documentary setup and breaking the fourth wall, even if they don't do any straight to the camera interviews like MF or Parks and Rec.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
Does the quality of any season dip as much as the latter seasons of The Office?

Modern Family never reaches the heights The Office does. I'd say it's about as good as the last 3 seasons of The Office (which is still better than most comedy shows) to begin with. By that I mean there are good episodes mixed with eh episodes, the amount of eh episodes slightly edging out the good.