• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mistur niceguy

Engineer, Xbox Networking
Verified
Feb 20, 2018
I have been experiencing wireless controller syncing issues with XSX and all of my controllers (Series and One) for over a year now. It will randomly lose connection and the controllers will blink for several seconds before it re-establishes connection to the console. If I have a local multiplayer session, all controllers will disconnect and resync, but the players will get swapped across the different controllers. The only remediation method I have is unplugging the console for at least 10 seconds. Then the desyncing issue won't occur for at least an hour maybe. Is this a common problem, and is there a better fix out there?
It would be greatly appreciated if you could file a bug report after one of these issues occurs so that our teams can take a look at the logs. Sending you a DM with more info.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Not sure if this is the best thread to ask this… how common is it to find Xbox Series S or X in atock in the Microsoft store? I can order a Series S from a bunch of stores in Brazil but it costs way more here, so I am planning on buying one at the end of the month in Europe (I have 90 euros credit in the MS store as well which helps a lot).

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Not sure if this is the best thread to ask this… how common is it to find Xbox Series S or X in atock in the Microsoft store? I can order a Series S from a bunch of stores in Brazil but it costs way more here, so I am planning on buying one at the end of the month in Europe (I have 90 euros credit in the MS store as well which helps a lot).

Here in the US they've both been in stock for months now at Microsoft Store online, but idk about Brazil or Europe.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Here in the US they've both been in stock for months now at Microsoft Store online, but idk about Brazil or Europe.
In the afternoon they seemed out of stock but now I looked again and they are both in stock in Spain lol. There is even a reconditioned Series X for 470e. I will keep an eye for a PS5 but if I cant find one at MSRP I will grab a Series X (already have GPU, been playing through xCloud in Brazil). Never had an Xbox in my life.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Seems like the best place to post this, but please redirect me if not, thank you -

Is there any way to lower the Xbox controller brightness when using to play on PC?

The Series machines have it built in now as an option; I can't seem to find a similar option in either Windows 11 settings or the Xbox app.

Any chance I'm missing something, or is this a console-only feature at present?

Hope I'll be forgiven a bump on this to see if some kind soul can confirm on the new page.

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022
Hey, I wanted to ask what others think about getting an Xbox Series S over an Apple TV 4K for streaming. I'm getting extremely frustrated with my Google TV box and I also have an Xfinity Flex that absolutely fucking sucks, but I have it for free Peacock.

Whatever I get will primarily be used for streaming media but I am into the idea of having a console because there are games my partner likes to play but they don't like to use my PC as they feel its cumbersome. They aren't going to be bothered by the downgrade in performance from the Series X

I know this is the Xbox thread so some may be biased but any insight I can get on the capabilities of the streaming apps would be great.

I have a 4K TV that supports the major HDR standards and plan on getting a soundbar to go with the Xbox too.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Hey, I wanted to ask what others think about getting an Xbox Series S over an Apple TV 4K for streaming. I'm getting extremely frustrated with my Google TV box and I also have an Xfinity Flex that absolutely fucking sucks, but I have it for free Peacock.

Whatever I get will primarily be used for streaming media but I am into the idea of having a console because there are games my partner likes to play but they don't like to use my PC as they feel its cumbersome.

I know this is the Xbox thread so some may be biased but any insight I can get on the capabilities of the streaming apps would be great.

I have a 4K TV that supports the major HDR standards and plan on getting a soundbar to go with the Xbox too.
AFAIK the streaming apps are all good on Xbox.. 4K HDR and so on. Even on XSS. I haven't had issues with the apps Ive used on it like Apple TV+ and HBO Max

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021

Whatever I get will primarily be used for streaming media but I am into the idea of having a console because there are games my partner likes to play but they don't like to use my PC as they feel its cumbersome. They aren't going to be bothered by the downgrade in performance from the Series X

Xbox is a fantastic streaming device - all the apps you'd want, all with 4K @ HDR performance. Only recommendation would be to get a media remote - gets a bit annoying to use the controller for streaming stuff

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022
Hey guys thanks so much for the replies. I'll be getting the Xbox then since it does more than the Apple TV.

Is there a specific remote people recommend or are most fine? I have access to a Best Buy discount so their house brand remote is like $4.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Hey guys thanks so much for the replies. I'll be getting the Xbox then since it does more than the Apple TV.

Is there a specific remote people recommend or are most fine? I have access to a Best Buy discount so their house brand remote is like $4.
I'd suggest one that is meant for xbox - some apps require the ABXY buttons and don't have media remote support, so those are good to have. I have this one:

and it works pretty well

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022
I'd suggest one that is meant for xbox - some apps require the ABXY buttons and don't have media remote support, so those are good to have. I have this one:

and it works pretty well

Thanks so much! Best Buy sells this one so I can have them order it for me eye. I go to pick up the Xbox!

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I made out like a bandit on eBay a month ago:

Xbox Series S that basically looks new
2 TB Expansion Card
4TB Seagate HDD with Xbox logo

$425

Oct 26, 2017
Hey all, just recently purchased a Series X a few days ago and I'm already seeing a major problem with it. A few minor glitches aside, last night when playing games the picture would randomly begin flashing green and purple bars across parts of the TV. I've tried messing around with display settings through the Xbox, but nothing seems to be working. I'm doing a full reset and wiping everything off of it before trying again, as resets while keeping all installs were not working.

Has anyone encountered this issue and are there any known fixes? Best Buy did not offer me a warranty on the console when picking one up and forgot to request it, so I'm not sure if I can take the console back and claim it is defective without it.

Norris1020

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Hey all, just recently purchased a Series X a few days ago and I'm already seeing a major problem with it. A few minor glitches aside, last night when playing games the picture would randomly begin flashing green and purple bars across parts of the TV. I've tried messing around with display settings through the Xbox, but nothing seems to be working. I'm doing a full reset and wiping everything off of it before trying again, as resets while keeping all installs were not working.

Has anyone encountered this issue and are there any known fixes? Best Buy did not offer me a warranty on the console when picking one up and forgot to request it, so I'm not sure if I can take the console back and claim it is defective without it.
May not help but I had that happen with my One X and after doing all the console troubleshooting to no avail I tried unplugging my tv for a few minutes and after powering it back on it was fine and never had an occurrence of that again for the remaining year and a half I had the console. Otherwise, Best Buy has like a 14 day return policy for most every item regardless.

Oct 26, 2017
May not help but I had that happen with my One X and after doing all the console troubleshooting to no avail I tried unplugging my tv for a few minutes and after powering it back on it was fine and never had an occurrence of that again for the remaining year and a half I had the console. Otherwise, Best Buy has like a 14 day return policy for most every item regardless.
Thanks for the feedback, I unplugged my TV and also reset it to factory settings. Got to reinstall my games, however I remember I did not see this issue until playing Halo Infinite, so I'll start there. Hopefully this will work, but at least Best Buy has the 14 day return policy. Better this happen sooner than later.

momottolo

Aug 20, 2019
It's the third time in two days that my xbox sx when turned on (from energy saving mode) shows no apps or games in the dashboard, just the gamepass app and quick something appears on screen like no setting app or games in quick resume nothing at all, when i restart it then everything it's fine

I don't know, should i be worried or it's just a bug with the os ?

Jul 26, 2018
Time for an "I have two consoles and two accounts" kind of question. I searched over the internet and got some answers but wanted to double check with anyone here since there are only so many times I can change my home console.

Background: I have two accoutns: Primary and Secondary. The Primary account owns games and is subscribed to Game Pass Ultimate. My Secondary account doesn't have games or subscriptions, not even Gold. I currently have an Xbox Series X with my Primary account as a home account, and I can use my Secondary account to access all Game Pass games and games owned by the Primary account.

Goal: I'm getting a Series S. I want to play with the Primary account on the Series S and with my Secondary account on the Series X at the same time. I want both accounts to play online games from Game Pass or owned by the Primary account. Would like not to pay Gold, Game Pass, or buy games with the Secondary account.

Question: which console do I want to set as a home console for my Primary account?

I think the workflow is: (i) set my Xbox Series X as the home console for the Primary account; (ii) have the Secondary account log in on the Series X; (iii) have the Primary account log in on the Series S. The both should be able to play online with just one subscription?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Time for an "I have two consoles and two accounts" kind of question. I searched over the internet and got some answers but wanted to double check with anyone here since there are only so many times I can change my home console.

Background: I have two accoutns: Primary and Secondary. The Primary account owns games and is subscribed to Game Pass Ultimate. My Secondary account doesn't have games or subscriptions, not even Gold. I currently have an Xbox Series X with my Primary account as a home account, and I can use my Secondary account to access all Game Pass games and games owned by the Primary account.

Goal: I'm getting a Series S. I want to play with the Primary account on the Series S and with my Secondary account on the Series X at the same time. I want both accounts to play online games from Game Pass or owned by the Primary account. Would like not to pay Gold, Game Pass, or buy games with the Secondary account.

Question: which console do I want to set as a home console for my Primary account?

I think the workflow is: (i) set my Xbox Series X as the home console for the Primary account; (ii) have the Secondary account log in on the Series X; (iii) have the Primary account log in on the Series S. The both should be able to play online with just one subscription?
You would set the Series S as your primary console, so that your benefits are shared with your Secondary account on the Series S.

Then you would play on the Series X with your Primary ACCOUNT but not set as the Primary Console. That way you still play with your entitlements as you are the one signed in and actively playing.

The Series S can be used by a secondary account to play using your primary's entitlements, as the primary user isn't signed in on the S and is signed in, playing elsewhere on the X.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Correct, you want the Series X set as your home console, anyone who logs into it will get access to your games and subscriptions such as Game Pass.

Any console you log into will get access to your games/services so you could even have the Series S set to log your account in automatically and then others can log into that console too and access all your games (whilst your account is still signed in). That's how we have 3 people sharing 2 consoles and accessing all games/services off a single subscription in my house, doesn't matter which console folks log into, they have full access to things (caveat being that an internet connection is required for my non-home console)

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
You would set the Series S as your primary console, so that your benefits are shared with your Secondary account on the Series S.

Then you would play on the Series X with your Primary ACCOUNT but not set as the Primary Console. That way you still play with your entitlements as you are the one signed in and actively playing.

The Series S can be used by a secondary account to play using your primary's entitlements, as the primary user isn't signed in on the S and is signed in, playing elsewhere on the X.
This isn't right, they want to let the secondary account use the Series X whilst they use their primary account on the S. They had it right in the it post, they want the Series X set as the home console, not the Series S.

Jul 26, 2018

It think I want this but swapping the series S and X. I want my secondary account to play on the Series X exclusively, so that's the console I want to set as home for my primary account. But besides that I think we're talking the same thing.

Correct, you want the Series X set as your home console, anyone who logs into it will get access to your games and subscriptions such as Game Pass.

Any console you log into will get access to your games/services so you could even have the Series S set to log your account in automatically and then others can log into that console too and access all your games (whilst your account is still signed in). That's how we have 3 people sharing 2 consoles and accessing all games/services off a single subscription in my house, doesn't matter which console folks log into, they have full access to things (caveat being that an internet connection is required for my non-home console)
Okay this is interesting cause I didn't know you could have three people sharing, but I guess the key thing in your case is that you have at most 2 people playing in simultaneous since you have two consoles. But I think this is what I want, thanks!

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Okay this is interesting cause I didn't know you could have three people sharing, but I guess the key thing in your case is that you have at most 2 people playing in simultaneous since you have two consoles. But I think this is what I want, thanks!
Indeed, though all 3 can play at the same time if a game supports split-screen 👍🏻

Spangler

Oct 27, 2017
It's the third time in two days that my xbox sx when turned on (from energy saving mode) shows no apps or games in the dashboard, just the gamepass app and quick something appears on screen like no setting app or games in quick resume nothing at all, when i restart it then everything it's fine

This has happened to me a few times over the last few days as well. It's only when the console is turned on from energy saving mode. As in your case, a restart seems to fix it and everything works as normal. I've taken to just doing a full shutdown and it seems to start correctly.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
This has happened to me a few times over the last few days as well. It's only when the console is turned on from energy saving mode. As in your case, a restart seems to fix it and everything works as normal. I've taken to just doing a full shutdown and it seems to start correctly.

Happened to me yesterday too and scared the crap out of me. It must be a very recent OS bug if others are seeing it.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

You got S and X backwards, but otherwise correct

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017

Wait, so the non-primary console can still allow other users to login with their own account and gain access to all entitlements as long as the master account is also logged in to that console (and you have internet connectivity)? I didn't know that was possible (but I also never tried it)

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Wait, so the non-primary console can still allow other users to login with their own account and gain access to all entitlements as long as the master account is also logged in to that console (and you have internet connectivity)? I didn't know that was possible (but I also never tried it)
if you are logged in and signed in and actively using a console you get access to your digital entitlements (subs, purchases). A non-primary console does not game/entitlement share at all with other users (from my experience). You only get access to the stuff you have on your account. Attempting to play somewhere else will prompt you to be booted off whatever console you're signed in on (actively using).

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't plan on having both Series X and S, but I'm glad that's the case. Going from one console to the other is such a seamless experience. The way the cloud syncs automatically is a blessing. I wish Sony would follow suit.

Hopefully they found the bug. I was scared a couple of times last week till I looked up how much it was happening to other people so that it had to be something wrong on Microsoft's end.

I legitimately thought my SD was on its last legs when that happened to me. I'm glad it's a bug!

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Yup, that's the setup I have right now.

Allows my lad to play in the game room, where my home console is, or in the sitting room where the Xbox logs my account in automatically.
He has his own controller which is set to log his account in when turned on so he rarely ever sees my dash (when he does it's because he's run out of screen time and its logged his account out, loading my Home Screen as I'm logged in still)

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
if you are logged in and signed in and actively using a console you get access to your digital entitlements (subs, purchases). A non-primary console does not game/entitlement share at all with other users (from my experience). You only get access to the stuff you have on your account. Attempting to play somewhere else will prompt you to be booted off whatever console you're signed in on (actively using).
Any console your primary account is logged into shares it's entitlements with any other users who log into the same console as long as your account stays logged in.
This is different from your home console, where anyone can log in and access your entitlements, and the limitation is your account must remain logged into that console for others to access your entitlements and the console needs to remain connected to the internet.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Any console your primary account is logged into shares it's entitlements with any other users who log into the same console as long as your account stays logged in.
This is different from your home console, where anyone can log in and access your entitlements, and the limitation is your account must remain logged into that console for others to access your entitlements and the console needs to remain connected to the internet.
interesting

Feb 27, 2019
Has anyone seen an improvement in Xbox download speeds?

I downloaded the Forza Horizon 5 Hot Wheels DLC yesterday and was getting 150 Mbps down. Typically I get about 50-60 Mbps down, despite having a connection that goes up to 600 Mbps. I've got a wireless connection and I always chalked it up to that, but maybe they improved server speeds too.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018

This has been happening to me for almost a month. Not every single boot up mind you, but a frequent occurrence. It's very annoying, but nice to know there's a fix on the way.

I assumed it was related to a connectivity issue some people connected to a local isp in Australia, where without fail the Xbox service runs slow (downloads at 500 kb/s or up to 5mbps).

Rurmelly

Jan 31, 2018
So I have a series S and its great for my needs but at this point in the cycle I am starting to feel like 4K output and clarity is more important to me (I own a ps5 as well). I could sell my Series S and a few games and grab a Series X for about £200. Very tempted to but not sure if I can justify it just for that. Are there any exclusive games at the moment that really pop at 4k that would be worth upgrading? I play alot of Halo and that is great on the S, it has never been much of a looker anyway. Forza isn't really my cup of tea. Wondering if I should just wait until next year to upgrade for Starfield.