• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Has it happened to anyone else that suddenly all your local captures are gone from your console?

Just happened to me today on Series X, and it's not the first time it does this. I was doing some Mass Effect photo mode screens and when I went to upload some of them I only could find the ones I did today. Literally hundreds of Elden Ring and dozens of Mass Effect Legendary Edition screenshots were gone.

Anyone who knows why this would happen, please tell because I'd love to avoid it in the future. Lucky I don't give as much importance to this as I did sometime before.

Today's photos were cool btw.

Here's an example:

Nothere

Oct 26, 2017
It drives me insane that the X|S tag on top of game icons seems to appear and disappear randomly...
I have created a group for GAMES so i have all 30 slots with the smaller icons... but those random tags are bumming me.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I know that there are millions of articles about zero differences between placing XSX vertical or horizontal, but still have doubt about it. I bought my console 6,7 months ago and placed it vertical from first day. It's first time that I'm using a console vertical and always put my consoles horizontal, from PS2 and X360 to PS3 and PS4, but somehow I think XSX's design is better to stand vertical (it's just a feeling).
Now I see there are dust on fan, even with using a cover that I made with paper for times that I'm not using console (turned off all update options, so console won't turn on without my permission). If I use the console horizontal, it'll get less dust or it doesn't matter?
Is there any thread here with poll about this to see how many gamers using it vertical or horizontal? Just want to know the percentage!

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Has it happened to anyone else that suddenly all your local captures are gone from your console?

Just happened to me today on Series X, and it's not the first time it does this. I was doing some Mass Effect photo mode screens and when I went to upload some of them I only could find the ones I did today. Literally hundreds of Elden Ring and dozens of Mass Effect Legendary Edition screenshots were gone.

Anyone who knows why this would happen, please tell because I'd love to avoid it in the future. Lucky I don't give as much importance to this as I did sometime before.

Here's an example:
Not heard of that...I know there is an automatic cleaning facility that will delete stuff eventually but i assume that's on a rolling basis.

It's not helpful but I've always found the process a bit weird. Clips and photos seem to upload automatically, but then you need to formally "save" them or tag them for them to stay.

The system started off with upload studio, a simple editing tool, but then I think they deprecated that for something different built into the system and it's all felt a bit weird and disconnected ever since.

Only thing I can suggest is to try and get the media off the console and into some other system e.g. Onedrive, or something else, depending what you want to do with it.

Have you tried the online sites live xboxdvr to see if the pictures are still around online?

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Anyone have issues with their external HDD lately? My Seagate 4TB HDD keeps disconnecting and re-connecting every 30 seconds or so on my Series X. I tested the same drive on my Series S and it works fine. My Series X is in Alpha preview though, so maybe thats why. My Series S uses default dash.

It happened before a couple weeks ago but it went away after that. I turned off auto game updates and instant-on to see if that helped but no dice.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Not heard of that...I know there is an automatic cleaning facility that will delete stuff eventually but i assume that's on a rolling basis.

It's not helpful but I've always found the process a bit weird. Clips and photos seem to upload automatically, but then you need to formally "save" them or tag them for them to stay.

The system started off with upload studio, a simple editing tool, but then I think they deprecated that for something different built into the system and it's all felt a bit weird and disconnected ever since.

Only thing I can suggest is to try and get the media off the console and into some other system e.g. Onedrive, or something else, depending what you want to do with it.

Have you tried the online sites live xboxdvr to see if the pictures are still around online?

Nah I set it up to not auto upload anything. I've read up online that they did something so old captures would be deleted from both local and online, only if there are no views in the case of xbox live uploaded captures, but local ones should stay for some minimum time and my ME:LE screens have been with me for less than a month, as I only had the ones I made yesterday.

It must me something triggered at OS level (like changing some profile privacy config maybe), be it intended or not, that does a total clean up of offline captures. Otherwise I have no clue.

I guess I will be more careful in the future in case I want to keep them but sorting out and selecting a few among hundreds of screens is something I always tend to procrastinate a bit after finishing a game up. Plus I'd love for them to just stay there until I decide to take them elsewhere. But it seems they're not safe as it has happened more times to me, and I'd say it's not reliable in terms of how old they need to be.

Arubedo

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 24, 2018
Morocco
Have a Series X for a year now, and i absolutely hate the fact that the MS Store and Settings icons take space in the main page of the Interface which pushes some games that were there, i hope they'll change that someday. Also the Guide shows up a bit later when i press the Xbox button in some cases.
Besides that, i had no issues with the console, i'm also really impressed by how quiet it is and it's build quality.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Have a Series X for a year now, and i absolutely hate the fact that the MS Store and Settings icons take space in the main page of the Interface which pushes some games that were there, i hope they'll change that someday. Also the Guide shows up a bit later when i press the Xbox button in some cases.
Besides that, i had no issues with the console, i'm also really impressed by how quiet it is and it's build quality.
yeah the store icon really sucks being stuck on the homepage. Players have been asking to get it removed for years, but MS wants you to spend money on the store. The settings icon shouldn't be on there though unless you frequently use it because it will just show up in the revolving tiles based on what games and apps you have launched recently.

Dec 11, 2017
Not sure what's going on but my dashboard was actually chugging today. As much as I hate on my PS5, the OS runs like butter in comparison for me.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I know that there are millions of articles about zero differences between placing XSX vertical or horizontal, but still have doubt about it. I bought my console 6,7 months ago and placed it vertical from first day. It's first time that I'm using a console vertical and always put my consoles horizontal, from PS2 and X360 to PS3 and PS4, but somehow I think XSX's design is better to stand vertical (it's just a feeling).
Now I see there are dust on fan, even with using a cover that I made with paper for times that I'm not using console (turned off all update options, so console won't turn on without my permission). If I use the console horizontal, it'll get less dust or it doesn't matter?
Is there any thread here with poll about this to see how many gamers using it vertical or horizontal? Just want to know the percentage!
How about videos

As for the ratio of vertical vs horizontal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dust is gonna get it one way or the other man. Doesn't matter.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Nah I set it up to not auto upload anything. I've read up online that they did something so old captures would be deleted from both local and online, only if there are no views in the case of xbox live uploaded captures, but local ones should stay for some minimum time and my ME:LE screens have been with me for less than a month, as I only had the ones I made yesterday.

It must me something triggered at OS level (like changing some profile privacy config maybe), be it intended or not, that does a total clean up of offline captures. Otherwise I have no clue.

I guess I will be more careful in the future in case I want to keep them but sorting out and selecting a few among hundreds of screens is something I always tend to procrastinate a bit after finishing a game up. Plus I'd love for them to just stay there until I decide to take them elsewhere. But it seems they're not safe as it has happened more times to me, and I'd say it's not reliable in terms of how old they need to be.
Ah ok - it does sounds very odd. I dont think there is much of a solution except turning auto-upload back on and doing the manual save/archive thing :-(

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020

Xbox help doesn't mention deleting clips only stored on your console:

• Captures that don't get uploaded to the Xbox network will remain on the console they were recorded on.
Source

I'd potentially consider this a bug? May be worth using the "report a problem" tool to submit a bug report next time it happens.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017

Source

I'd potentially consider this a bug? May be worth using the "report a problem" tool to submit a bug report next time it happens.

I considered that, but I don't know if it would be of any help not knowing exacly when they got deleted or what could have caused it. Maybe I'll file a report anyway and try to explain it in text so they at least have an instance of something reported and can investigate on their own.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Here's an example:

Ah ok - it does sounds very odd. I dont think there is much of a solution except turning auto-upload back on and doing the manual save/archive thing :-(

Source

I considered that, but I don't know if it would be of any help not knowing exacly when they got deleted or what could have caused it. Maybe I'll file a report anyway and try to explain it in text so they at least have an instance of something reported and can investigate on their own.

For what it's worth, this exact thing happened to me about a year ago on my Series X.

I had run out of cloud storage for screenshots/recordings after several years of them accumulating. So I backed up everything stored in the cloud to a hard drive, deleted them all, and then set my Series X to only keep screenshots on the local hard drive. I just figured this way I'd avoid ever having to worry about using up all of my cloud storage, and I could just back up my captures onto an external drive every year or so.

About 6 months into this, all of my screenshots randomly disappeared one day. Just turned on my Series X and they were all gone. No idea what happened.

Since then I re-enabled cloud auto-upload and I haven't had it happen again. It really sucked though, I'm kind of big into taking screenshots and I lost hundreds and hundreds of captures.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

Here's an example:
Happened to me a few months ago with my Series S, with both clips and screenshots disappearing from my local and online.

The silly thing is that my captures from 2018 on my One S are still there.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth, this exact thing happened to me about a year ago on my Series X.

I had run out of cloud storage for screenshots/recordings after several years of them accumulating. So I backed up everything stored in the cloud to a hard drive, deleted them all, and then set my Series X to only keep screenshots on the local hard drive. I just figured this way I'd avoid ever having to worry about using up all of my cloud storage, and I could just back up my captures onto an external drive every year or so.

About 6 months into this, all of my screenshots randomly disappeared one day. Just turned on my Series X and they were all gone. No idea what happened.

Since then I re-enabled cloud auto-upload and I haven't had it happen again. It really sucked though, I'm kind of big into taking screenshots and I lost hundreds and hundreds of captures.

Shit. I feel your loss, I know what it's like, lol. It suck quite a bit yes. I guess it doesn't hurt to either review them at the end of the session and only upload the real nice ones just in case, or to just turn auto upload on and be careful with the share button (which I'm totally not when I'm in frenzy screenshot mode, like I was with Elden Ring).
I am (was until ER) deintoxicating from compulsive screenshotting, though (sometime I even opened a flickr just to upload all my stuff - no filters) but Elden was just too epic a journey not to document and yet another Mass Effect trilogy playthrough just can't go without a little family photo here and there.

Good to know it hasn't happened again since you turned auto upload back on, but the danger of running out of space (and filling that space with crap, in my case) is too real.

Happened to me a few months ago with my Series S, with both clips and screenshots disappearing from my local and online.

The silly thing is that my captures from 2018 on my One S are still there.

That is weird. I can't be sure, but I think I remember the first time this happened to me was on the One X btw.

I think it may have to do with modifying some privacy setting in your xbox profile, or the profile itself, or maybe accidentally going into the local space freeing tool even if you don't uninstall anything... which may be the only special things I've done with my console the past couple days. But on the other hand I also think it may be totally automatic and random.

Last edited:

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Anyone have issues with their external HDD lately? My Seagate 4TB HDD keeps disconnecting and re-connecting every 30 seconds or so on my Series X. I tested the same drive on my Series S and it works fine. My Series X is in Alpha preview though, so maybe thats why. My Series S uses default dash.

It happened before a couple weeks ago but it went away after that. I turned off auto game updates and instant-on to see if that helped but no dice.

It started to happen for one of my Seagate HDDs but it still works fine - for now. The other one I reported about has ended its life cycle though last week. I don't know how long these drives are supposed to last in general.

Something I really don't like is that I can't connect controllers to the console when external HDDs are plugged in, too. I do switch between multiple devices and the two save states the controller have do not suffice more often than not.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
It started to happen for one of my Seagate HDDs but it still works fine - for now. The other one I reported about has ended its life cycle though last week. I don't know how long these drives are supposed to last in general.

Something I really don't like is that I can't connect controllers to the console when external HDDs are plugged in, too. I do switch between multiple devices and the two save states the controller have do not suffice more often than not.
Thanks for the reply, guess I'm not the only one.

FYI

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Switched my Xbox back to Energy saving mode and it feels like my Series X gets real wonky on that mode. It's like it's really struggling to properly wake up or something.

Couple of things I've noticed in the last few days:
  • Friends list don't update and often times just show the list from the previous night.
  • Asking me to sign in to play GP games while I'm pretty clearly online (even downloading stuff in the background as proof)
  • Quick Resume borking and often having me to restart the game
  • And just now F1 2021 completely breaking and just straight up freezing for a coupe of seconds every 10 seconds.
I've changed a couple of times back to standby to see if that would fix the issues and I've definitely noticed it running more smoothly on Standby. Anyone else experiencing similar issues on Energy mode?

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
So what's a decent monitor/tv for Series X? I want to upgrade to 4K/120FPS and HDR

Actually I just saw that new Sony display maybe that'll work lol

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
So what's a decent monitor/tv for Series X? I want to upgrade to 4K/120FPS and HDR

Actually I just saw that new Sony display maybe that'll work lol
It would but it's very expensive for a monitor even if similar monitors of its class are priced accordingly. It's basically 48-55 inch OLED territory on sale.

I would get a C1 if it's in your budget or if you want sub 1k lcd id look to something like an x90j qn90a etc

GWX

Oct 25, 2017
I got the weirdest issue related to Wi-Fi on my Series X. My 5GHz connection refuse to show up on the network list. If I try to connect by inputting the SSID manually it doesn't connect. Tried out my Series S on the same exact spot (just changed the console, used the same cables), and it finds and connects to it no problem. A neighbor's 5GHz network does show up on the Series X network list from time to time, so it does detect 5GHz networks, but mine won't. I have a pretty recent router too, TP-Link Archer AX10. My LG B9, PS4 Pro and phone connects to the 5GHz no problem as well.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got the weirdest issue related to Wi-Fi on my Series X. My 5GHz connection refuse to show up on the network list. If I try to connect by inputting the SSID manually it doesn't connect. Tried out my Series S on the same exact spot (just changed the console, used the same cables), and it finds and connects to it no problem. A neighbor's 5GHz network does show up on the Series X network list from time to time, so it does detect 5GHz networks, but mine won't. I have a pretty recent router too, TP-Link Archer AX10. My LG B9, PS4 Pro and phone connects to the 5GHz no problem as well.

What channel/width is your router using for 5ghz?

Dec 11, 2017
Switched my Xbox back to Energy saving mode and it feels like my Series X gets real wonky on that mode. It's like it's really struggling to properly wake up or something.

Couple of things I've noticed in the last few days:
  • Friends list don't update and often times just show the list from the previous night.
  • Asking me to sign in to play GP games while I'm pretty clearly online (even downloading stuff in the background as proof)
  • Quick Resume borking and often having me to restart the game
  • And just now F1 2021 completely breaking and just straight up freezing for a coupe of seconds every 10 seconds.
I've changed a couple of times back to standby to see if that would fix the issues and I've definitely noticed it running more smoothly on Standby. Anyone else experiencing similar issues on Energy mode?

Thought it was just me. I've recently had mine in energy saving mode and the whole dashboard chugs when I turn it on.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone know how GTAV handles VRR on the Series X? I'm considering playing through the campaign again but I'm really only interested if it has VRR, and I know the X handles lower VRR frame rates better than the PS5. I couldn't find a YouTube comparison of the two.

GWX

Oct 25, 2017
What channel/width is your router using for 5ghz?

Width is set to auto, also tried it at 80 MHz to no avail. Channel was 153, changed it to auto and it didn't work either.

edit: good news! Worked fine when set at 40MHz and channel 48. So weird that the Series S worked fine with automatic settings, and the X didn't 🙄

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017
I'm sure someone has answered this before, but with ever-changing firmwares I can never seem to enable black frame insertion BFI on my 65' C1 - known as OLED Motion Pro, I think. The option is always greyed out. Is it that I need to disable a specific set of features to get it to pop?
It would be so much easier if the TV could say 'enabling this would disable x, y and z' and give me the option to do it that way.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Playing No Man's Sky is absolutely murderous in an attic this time a year. It's surprisingly enormously taxing on the Xbox and it's just a volcano spewing hot air. I think it legit sucked out all the breathable oxygen out of the air because I've got a raging headache.

TheBeev

Sep 12, 2020
OscarK is the team aware of any issues with audio on video captures? A lot of my captures have audio sync problems so the audio plays almost a second ahead of the video. Not all of them, which is weird, but every few videos I get this problem. You can see an example here: https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/viruscoo1/video/147378637

It's been nearly 8-months and I'm still having this problem. 60% of the time videos have audio that are out of sync by a second or two (especially awful for FPS games), or even worse the audio is gone completely. When there isn't any audio the videos play locally, but when uploaded they can't be played (basically corrupt). It's extremely frustrating. What's worse (and very surprising) is that this happens on both my Series X and my Series S.

I've reported the bug officially multiple times and not heard a peep. I'm clearly not the only one either:

Does anyone know what the issue might be? I just find it kind of crazy that it happens on two different systems. So it must be a setting or something to do with my profile. Do you know if this bug has been tracked OscarK?

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
Playing No Man's Sky is absolutely murderous in an attic this time a year. It's surprisingly enormously taxing on the Xbox and it's just a volcano spewing hot air. I think it legit sucked out all the breathable oxygen out of the air because I've got a raging headache.
How hot is it in that attic? I imagine your Xbox pumping out that hot air and the attic having a ton of hot air already, makes the heat unbearable. During the winter time it would be a boon tho.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
been having input lag problems in Apex lately when my controller is wireless. not sure what's causing it, but its happening with both my scuf instinct pro and elite series 2. when they're wired, no input lag at all.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How hot is it in that attic? I imagine your Xbox pumping out that hot air and the attic having a ton of hot air already, makes the heat unbearable. During the winter time it would be a boon tho.
Oh that's absolutely the case, yes! But the heat generated while playing No Man's Sky is pretty wild in comparison to other games.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
It's been nearly 8-months and I'm still having this problem. 60% of the time videos have audio that are out of sync by a second or two (especially awful for FPS games), or even worse the audio is gone completely. When there isn't any audio the videos play locally, but when uploaded they can't be played (basically corrupt). It's extremely frustrating. What's worse (and very surprising) is that this happens on both my Series X and my Series S.

I've reported the bug officially multiple times and not heard a peep. I'm clearly not the only one either:

Does anyone know what the issue might be? I just find it kind of crazy that it happens on two different systems. So it must be a setting or something to do with my profile. Do you know if this bug has been tracked OscarK?

As someone who has just moved from PS to Xbox this is the biggest downer. As bad as the share features are when they're actually working they frequently aren't working at all. It will just save a random clip length, audio borked, way too dark etc.

Really hoping for an improvement at some point.

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Had a weird glitch today. When I uploaded a photo looked at it and when I closed it back to the game the UI was still there.

hG6X2AU.jpg

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
I think the problem with fixing the video recording share features is that it's like 1 in 100 people that ever use it. Putting in tons of effort for the 1%. Tough decision but there's limited resources going into development and if it's quick resume vs better video recording I'm going to choose quick resume every single time.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Even if any of us could prove how many people are using it that's actually irrelevant. It's a feature on a device I paid money for and it's not acceptable that it doesn't work as intended.

I really don't think we need to be making excuses for trillion dollar companies. That's why these platform holders take the piss.

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
I have been experiencing wireless controller syncing issues with XSX and all of my controllers (Series and One) for over a year now. It will randomly lose connection and the controllers will blink for several seconds before it re-establishes connection to the console. If I have a local multiplayer session, all controllers will disconnect and resync, but the players will get swapped across the different controllers. The only remediation method I have is unplugging the console for at least 10 seconds. Then the desyncing issue won't occur for at least an hour maybe. Is this a common problem, and is there a better fix out there?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I have been experiencing wireless controller syncing issues with XSX and all of my controllers (Series and One) for over a year now. It will randomly lose connection and the controllers will blink for several seconds before it re-establishes connection to the console. If I have a local multiplayer session, all controllers will disconnect and resync, but the players will get swapped across the different controllers. The only remediation method I have is unplugging the console for at least 10 seconds. Then the desyncing issue won't occur for at least an hour maybe. Is this a common problem, and is there a better fix out there?
ca7e2534e63c2047a68de66b2f78ebfe.png

Known issue. Best report it using the report / provide feedback functionality on Xbox. If you're not in an Insider OS build you can download the report functionality off the store.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Seems like the best place to post this, but please redirect me if not, thank you -

Is there any way to lower the Xbox controller brightness when using to play on PC?

The Series machines have it built in now as an option; I can't seem to find a similar option in either Windows 11 settings or the Xbox app.

Any chance I'm missing something, or is this a console-only feature at present?