• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
So on my ps5 the PS5 turns on when i select the HDMI input on my TV.
Is this possible on Xbox also? Dont think i can see it in the HDMI cec settings, But maybe i am missing something?

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
HDMI-CEC Input switching need to be disabled for remote play, my god everytime I press the xbox button it'll switch to that input on the TV, which is fine in normal useage but not when i'm streaming in another room

So on my ps5 the PS5 turns on when i select the HDMI input on my TV.
Is this possible on Xbox also? Dont think i can see it in the HDMI cec settings, But maybe i am missing something?
No option for it. Closest thing is just to turn on the console/TV by turning on your controller. I actually hate that the PS5 does that, it's so annoying when you turn the TV off and then next time you turn the TV on to watch something it'll also turn on the PS5.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
For the Xbox engineers here: any chance we can get a 240hz display mode, even if it's 1080p?

I know the Xbox Series drives the display independently of the game like PC, so 60hz games are frame doubled to 120hz.

I mention it because of the drive to have games on PC, mainly fighting games, due to the input latency reduction as well as the faster display response.

Guilty Gear Strive is an example: playing the game on 240, 300 and even 360hz monitors help reduce the input latency by magnitudes compared to 60hz. The game is 60hz no matter what.

Tekken 7 and Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 have mods on PC for this now too, and these are on Xbox.

It would bring an advantage PC has over consoles to Xbox, and have it be ahead of the competition.

4K 240Hz would be possible if the Xbox has DSC. And there is that Samsung G8 Neo announced that can do 4K 240hz over HDMI 2.1.

It would definitely be a niche feature right now, but definitely some hardcore players would jump all over it right now.

Last edited:

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Got my Series X today, and happy with it so far. Love the understated design.

I noticed a bunch of my 360 arcade games aren't available in my library to download though. Would these be games that never received backwards compatibility? A shame but I get it. Just checking there's not something I'm missing here to get the remaining titles to show up.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021

I noticed a bunch of my 360 arcade games aren't available in my library to download though. Would these be games that never received backwards compatibility? A shame but I get it. Just checking there's not something I'm missing here to get the remaining titles to show up.
Likely yes. While a lot of 360 games are BC - it's not all of them, and for XBLA games I think it was about half

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017

Yep, that's the issue. I have a handful of live arcade games that are pretty much marooned on the 360.

luoapp

Oct 27, 2017
So I just got an X, and have a quick question about resuming after turning off. Not Quick Resume(TM), but resume the last game you played. I am playing Fifa 21, afaik, it doesn't support Quick Resume, but I was able to resume after turn it on again for about 1/3 of times. Does it relate to the power-off mode (inst-on vs energy saving)?Also, can the console update when in energy saving? I read some articles saying yes, but it never worked on my console.

TKWarner

Feb 28, 2021
So I just got an X, and have a quick question about resuming after turning off. Not Quick Resume(TM), but resume the last game you played. I am playing Fifa 21, afaik, it doesn't support Quick Resume, but I was able to resume after turn it on again for about 1/3 of times. Does it relate to the power-off mode (inst-on vs energy saving)?Also, can the console update when in energy saving? I read some articles saying yes, but it never worked on my console.

I think the last game played is always resumable whether it supports quick resume or not. But games with a persistent online connection like FIFA can regularly fail to reconnect.

From what I've read here, game downloads are definitely paused when the console is set to Energy Saving. But I'm not certain about game and console updates.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I think the last game played is always resumable whether it supports quick resume or not. But games with a persistent online connection like FIFA can regularly fail to reconnect.
Correct. What QR does is keep up to 5 like that. But what is happening is keeping the console in stand-by, which always leaves the game on sleep mode.

luoapp

Oct 27, 2017

From what I've read here, game downloads are definitely paused when the console is set to Energy Saving. But I'm not certain about game and console updates.

Correct. What QR does is keep up to 5 like that. But what is happening is keeping the console in stand-by, which always leaves the game on sleep mode.

Thanks. That makes more sense.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
So just ordered a Series S. My first Xbox console in ages. This is gonna be "fun".

Is there anything essential or important i should know before getting? Dont even have an Xbox account, but i guess i can just use my general MS account for Xbox ?

Im gonna give the system a week of testing and playing around with some games/demos etc. - if im satisfied i plan on jumping into the GamePass world and get that 3Y/subscription deal.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
So just ordered a Series S. My first Xbox console in ages. This is gonna be "fun".

Is there anything essential or important i should know before getting? Dont even have an Xbox account, but i guess i can just use my general MS account for Xbox ?

Im gonna give the system a week of testing and playing around with some games/demos etc. - if im satisfied i plan on jumping into the GamePass world and get that 3Y/subscription deal.
Download the xbox app if you can, makes console setup much easier

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Looking for options. I have a series x. My wife and I play wonderlands on it split screen. This is a miserable way to play the game.

I've ordered a refurbished series s.

This is where the question comes in. Is there a way to do this without buying both a second copy of the game and a gold for the second console. We also occasionally play online with a couple of friends.

I feel like I'm grasping at straws here, but holding out some hopes that there's a way do this. I'm thinking that maybe I set the one my wife uses as the home console, but really don't actually know.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm grasping at straws here, but holding out some hopes that there's a way do this. I'm thinking that maybe I set the one my wife uses as the home console, but really don't actually know.
1. You set hers as the home console for your account
2. She plays on that xbox with her account
3. You play on the other xbox with your account.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
I recently got a Series X as a gift and have some questions before I replace my launch Xbone with this bad boy. I seem to be getting conflicting answers so I figured pop on here and ask some smart people. Forgive me if these are silly, easy things I should know, sometimes your mind goes blank and it be right now.

- I use a WD My Book 4TB external hard drive with my Xbone. Am I able to use this with the Series X? I'm sure the games on it won't be enhanced but I'm more concerned with the space which would suck to lose.

- Do I have to re-install physical games on the Series X? Like say I have a physical copy of Elden Ring so I would have to re-install it right even if the save/data is on the hdd? Sorry if this is worded odd.

Thanks in advance and if there's anything else I should know during setup, please let me know.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
I recently got a Series X as a gift and have some questions before I replace my launch Xbone with this bad boy. I seem to be getting conflicting answers so I figured pop on here and ask some smart people. Forgive me if these are silly, easy things I should know, sometimes your mind goes blank and it be right now.

- I use a WD My Book 4TB external hard drive with my Xbone. Am I able to use this with the Series X? I'm sure the games on it won't be enhanced but I'm more concerned with the space which would suck to lose.

- Do I have to re-install physical games on the Series X? Like say I have a physical copy of Elden Ring so I would have to re-install it right even if the save/data is on the hdd? Sorry if this is worded odd.

Thanks in advance and if there's anything else I should know during setup, please let me know.
For the first it's just plug and play pretty much. You might have to move some games to the internal drive of the Series X if they are upgraded for the Series to get Series version.

For the second I'm not sure, but I think it should just work. For Elden Ring it has a Series upgrade, so you'll probably have to move it to the internal drive.

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.

Everything should be plug and play. The only thing is you may not get patches unless you launch games because it will technically re-register them on the new console first. And obviously you won't be able to play any true series X games through the external. It's good for cold storage though.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
For the first it's just plug and play pretty much. You might have to move some games to the internal drive of the Series X if they are upgraded for the Series to get Series version.

For the second I'm not sure, but I think it should just work. For Elden Ring it has a Series upgrade, so you'll probably have to move it to the internal drive.

Everything should be plug and play. The only thing is you may not get patches unless you launch games because it will technically re-register them on the new console first. And obviously you won't be able to play any true series X games through the external. It's good for cold storage though.
Thanks a bunch! I'll make sure to put my most played on the internal drive and switch some in and out when needed. Don't really mind that as long as I can still keep stuff stored. Guess I'll set it up tomorrow then. Appreciate it, thanks again.

boybrushdRED

Oct 26, 2017
Philippines
I'm looking for a cheaper battery thingy that works like the play and charge kit for convenience. Any recommendations? I'll be needing 2 and want something good but cheaper than the official play and charge. Thanks.

Flagship

Nov 6, 2017
Didn't see this mentioned anywhere so I'll put it here:

As part of Ninja Gaiden Master Collection's addition to Gamepass today: the game has been updated to support 'Xbox Play Anywhere' as part of it being listed on the Windows MS Store for the first time.

(the same happened to the outer wilds+Firewatch when they were added to Gamepass).

Great for me as it means I now own it for PC.

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
FPS Boost isn't enabled by default when enabling it means dropping the resolution. It basically changes the game to run at One S settings.

Nov 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC
As part of Ninja Gaiden Master Collection's addition to Gamepass today

Sort of related but more of a broad question:

I just upgraded from a Series S to a Series X, namely for the disk drive, and ordered a copy of Ninja Garden II for the 360 before noticing that this collection was releasing.

Is the backwards compatible version worth playing, or should I go with the Master Collection? I believe the Collection is based off of the Sigma releases, which I've never touched.

Rivanov

Mar 22, 2018
The Netherlands
HDMI-CEC Input switching need to be disabled for remote play, my god everytime I press the xbox button it'll switch to that input on the TV, which is fine in normal useage but not when i'm streaming in another room

No option for it. Closest thing is just to turn on the console/TV by turning on your controller. I actually hate that the PS5 does that, it's so annoying when you turn the TV off and then next time you turn the TV on to watch something it'll also turn on the PS5.
You can disable this.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Sort of related but more of a broad question:

I just upgraded from a Series S to a Series X, namely for the disk drive, and ordered a copy of Ninja Garden II for the 360 before noticing that this collection was releasing.

Is the backwards compatible version worth playing, or should I go with the Master Collection? I believe the Collection is based off of the Sigma releases, which I've never touched.
Yes, the collection is Sigma versions.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I believe there is a specific option on PS5 within CEC that the TV shouldn't boot the PS5.
But I have to double check when I'm home from work.
Oops my bad, just realised that you replied to the second part of my comment. Please let me know if you find anything!

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can keep HDMI-CEC Input switching on (so that your TV switches to the correct input when you boot up your Xbox) but disable using the Xbox button to switch inputs. That's what I do to fix the remote play issue.

FullMetalTech

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, New York
Does anyone know how to fix the Home Guide lag on a series s controller? I know there was an issue but not sure if they fixed it. I did a few things to try to fix it but no dice. It still has that 2 to 3 second lag and I hate the fact that if I hold it for too long it tries to get me to shut it off. Anyone have a fix or idea on how to fix it?