• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aurora

Jul 22, 2018
Lemuria
So do you get achievement is the replay titles and the replay launcher?
I recall if you play the Rare Replay XBLA titles separately and then boot up Rare Replay, whatever stamp requirements you achieved would be tallied up automatically so you don't "miss" out on progress if that makes sense. I did get an achievement in RR when I booted up Tooie through RR because I apparently hadn't booted up all three Banjo titles before, although I did play the non-RR SKU through xCloud before.

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I recall if you play the Rare Replay XBLA titles separately and then boot up Rare Replay, whatever stamp requirements you achieved would be tallied up automatically so you don't "miss" out on progress if that makes sense. I did get an achievement in RR when I booted up Tooie through RR because I apparently hadn't booted up all three Banjo titles before, although I did play the non-RR SKU through xCloud before.

Hmm. Such a weird setup.

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
I posted this on the Xbox Insider OT but doesn't seem to get much traffic so I'll ask here.

So has anyone else experienced games/apps taking too long to start since the last couple of updates? Error code: 0x8027o25a

Series X here with the Insider Beta updates.

It's very frustrating.
So I guess no one else here has this issue?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone ever have trouble with a Series controller having the RB button get mushy and then stop working?

Mine just quit working for me today. I'm never rough with my controllers or anything either and here I am playing Max Payne 3 and then the button starts to feel all mushy when I press it and then next thing you know just entirely quits registering button presses.

Dec 11, 2017
So I have a pretty stacked internal drive and just plugged in my new 1TB Seagate Expansion card. What's the best approach here? Copy everything to the expansion or just keep installing and let the system work it out?

Note I have a Series S as well, so at the very least I'll be copying things across that I want to play on both.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
So I have a pretty stacked internal drive and just plugged in my new 1TB Seagate Expansion card. What's the best approach here? Copy everything to the expansion or just keep installing and let the system work it out?

Note I have a Series S as well, so at the very least I'll be copying things across that I want to play on both.
It works the same as the internal drive. So just install wherever you want. You have to set one as the default location for installs. That will be the internal drive unless you change it.

If you leave it on internal as default and try to install a game there's no space for, it will prompt you and ask if you want to install on the expansion card.

Games run exactly the same off both internal and expansion drive.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know how to use AirPods with mic functionality when doing in home streaming to iOS? I can do voice chat in the Xbox app. But as soon as I start a game through home streaming the mic stops working 🤔

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know how to use AirPods with mic functionality when doing in home streaming to iOS? I can do voice chat in the Xbox app. But as soon as I start a game through home streaming the mic stops working 🤔
I don't have a iOS device so I'm probably no help, but I think that streaming on iOS requires the use of Safari. If so, have you given permission to use the mic on Safari?

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have a iOS device so I'm probably no help, but I think that streaming on iOS requires the use of Safari. If so, have you given permission to use the mic on Safari?
It's set to "ask" but I never get prompted to allow it. Doesn't seem like a webview opens in app anyway (but maybe some API relies on safari under the hood).

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
I just went to play Sleeping Dogs: DE, its been on my xbox for ages, probably one of the first things I installed...and it turns out I don't even own it -_-
I can't play it! It's not my library and the store says I need to buy it too so I'm like how the f did I install this in the first place, cus I really can't remember. well whatever I'll grab it on sale next time cus I was hyped up to play it lol

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I just went to play Sleeping Dogs: DE, its been on my xbox for ages, probably one of the first things I installed...and it turns out I don't even own it -_-
I can't play it! It's not my library and the store says I need to buy it too so I'm like how the f did I install this in the first place, cus I really can't remember. well whatever I'll grab it on sale next time cus I was hyped up to play it lol
Xbox allows you to install games you don't own yet. This can be useful if you're still buying physical as you can install it whilst waiting for it to be delivered/picked up then simply put your disc in to start playing immediately.

Where it's really useful is game sharing as you don't need to log onto another account just to download a game (as you do game sharing on PlayStation).

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox allows you to install games you don't own yet. This can be useful if you're still buying physical as you can install it whilst waiting for it to be delivered/picked up then simply put your disc in to start playing immediately.

Where it's really useful is game sharing as you don't need to log onto another account just to download a game (as you do game sharing on PlayStation).
This is a brilliant feature and one that I use all the time. I have the Dark Soul Trilogy compilation on the way and I have the games ready to play once the discs get here.

Hazuki_X

Dec 11, 2021
Anyone ever have trouble with a Series controller having the RB button get mushy and then stop working?

Mine just quit working for me today. I'm never rough with my controllers or anything either and here I am playing Max Payne 3 and then the button starts to feel all mushy when I press it and then next thing you know just entirely quits registering button presses.
Can't say I've experienced this myself. I've got three series controllers and never had this happen. Although the d pad on one of mine is starting to become really unresponsive.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Having a weird issue with connecting the Series X to a monitor for VRR support. During initial set up it let me tick the box to enable VRR, but I've noticed that whenever I turn the Series X back on and go to settings to check 'Video Modes', the VRR option is completely greyed out. I can get the option to enable VRR back if I go to 'Display' under 'Video fidelity and Overscan' and toggle the Overrides from Auto-detect to HDMI back to Auto-detect again, but this is a tad annoying because it makes me also have to manually enable 'Allow 4K' in the general video modes along with setting to the resolution to 4K UHD in General TV display options as well. Not to mention every time I turn off the Series X, I'd have to do this process all over again each time just to enable VRR.

I figure this is just some wonky issue with the monitor so I don't expect there's any actual solution to this. I'm just using the default HDMI cable that came with the console which I believe is 2.1 whereas the monitor supports up to 2.0, but from what I understand, the cable should be backwards compatible so shouldn't be causing any sort of issue by itself?

Just wish these things would work smoothly lol.

Edit: Played around some more with this tonight and think I found what the issue is. Turns out if I have my laptop connected to the monitor at the same time (either via DisplayPort or HDMI), this seems to cause VRR to be disabled on Xbox startup (though doing the above with toggling Auto-detect off then on again seems to force it back on). Doesn't seem to matter if I put the laptop to 'PC screen only' in Windows 10 prior to turning on the Xbox, disabling VRR in Windows, or using an HDMI cable for connecting the PC to the monitor instead of DisplayPort. Tried it multiple times and so long as my laptop isn't connected to the monitor in any way (Displayport or HDMI cable), then the Xbox always starts up with VRR enabled.

So I think I found the cause but don't have a great solution, since this basically means I have to yank the cable from the monitor to my PC every time I turn the Xbox on, but that's probably a lot more convenient than having to reconfigure all the display settings on the Xbox like I mentioned above. So some progress I suppose.

Last edited:

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
I decided to take a look at the fan during the XSX boot up process and I found that when I switch it on, the fan will start for a second, decrease/stop in speed, and then resume spinning again. I take it this is normal? Just something that I observed when paying attention to the fan during the boot up.

Also, there's a sound of like a clunk when booting up too. Though I guess that's the sound of the fan starting up or the disc drive? (Disc drive is empty)

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Disc drive is loud and likes to do things sometimes. Maybe fan spin up is to knock off dust?
I don't think the fan can do anything internally to the drive.

If you mean spinning the disc fat, that's usually too make sure the data can be read at max speed. Unfortunately I don't think drive firmware has be adjusted in any console for the short time it takes to verify a disc, so it will do it because it expects more data to be read than what it is actually being read.

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to take a look at the fan during the XSX boot up process and I found that when I switch it on, the fan will start for a second, decrease/stop in speed, and then resume spinning again. I take it this is normal? Just something that I observed when paying attention to the fan during the boot up.

Also, there's a sound of like a clunk when booting up too. Though I guess that's the sound of the fan starting up or the disc drive? (Disc drive is empty)
All of that is normal operation. That other sound is the disc drive checking for a disc (I think).

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
Basically it's like this. Found a video of what I mean. 26 seconds in. When the system is powered on, you hear a sort of clunk noise and you can see the fan spin up, spin down and then spin up normally again.

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I don't think the fan can do anything internally to the drive.

If you mean spinning the disc fat, that's usually too make sure the data can be read at max speed. Unfortunately I don't think drive firmware has be adjusted in any console for the short time it takes to verify a disc, so it will do it because it expects more data to be read than what it is actually being read.

I was sloppy. Disc clunk is normal.
I'm not sure if that fan spin up is normal.

Last edited:

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, I bought a secondhand Xbox recently and I just opened it today. It has an account already along with games, should I do a factory reset to release the account back to its owner? If I create my own account will I be able to make this my primary console or do they still own this as their primary console or am I talking gibberish

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, I bought a secondhand Xbox recently and I just opened it today. It has an account already along with games, should I do a factory reset to release the account back to its owner? If I create my own account will I be able to make this my primary console or do they still own this as their primary console or am I talking gibberish
There is a "Remove account" option in the settings. I don't know if removing an account removes their Home status, but it's not going to prevent them from changing it to another console since you don't need to deactivate primaries like for Switch and Playstation--everyone gets 5 Home switches a year on Xbox. You should still be able to assign the console as your Home without issue.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There is a "Remove account" option in the settings. I don't know if removing an account removes their Home status, but it's not going to prevent them from changing it to another console since you don't need to deactivate primaries like for Switch and Playstation--everyone gets 5 Home switches a year on Xbox. You should still be able to assign the console as your Home without issue.
I ran the factory reset and it said I should connect online to remove the associated account as well so I did. Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it!

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know if Ashen has Auto-HDR when played on Series consoles?
www.resetera.com

List of Xbox games that support Auto HDR

I didn't see a list of games that support Auto HDR. I figured I would start us off here. Note that this list does not include games that natively support HDR, aka on Microsoft's Xbox One X Enhanced List found here: https://www.xbox.com/en-CA/games/xbox-one/xbox-one-x-enhanced-list It is purely...

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
www.resetera.com

List of Xbox games that support Auto HDR

I didn't see a list of games that support Auto HDR. I figured I would start us off here. Note that this list does not include games that natively support HDR, aka on Microsoft's Xbox One X Enhanced List found here: https://www.xbox.com/en-CA/games/xbox-one/xbox-one-x-enhanced-list It is purely...

Ah, I somehow missed that thread. Thanks, Theorry.

I was going to buy it on PS5, but seeing that it's on sale on Xbox, with Auto-HDR and (presumably Quick Resume), I think I'll buy it for my Series S.

boredandlazy

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I just bought myself a Series X, and I'm just wondering if there are any real issues installing my own rubber feet and laying it horizontal on the opposite side with the disc tray at the bottom?
The airflow in my cabinet goes right to left, so sitting it the 'correct' way would go against that.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I just bought myself a Series X, and I'm just wondering if there are any real issues installing my own rubber feet and laying it horizontal on the opposite side with the disc tray at the bottom?
The airflow in my cabinet goes right to left, so sitting it the 'correct' way would go against that.
There shouldn't be

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Only thing I'm not sure about is if the disk drive would work in that orientation. Aside from that it should be perfectly fine

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Sorry for dumb question

But how do you stop your real name from scrolling in and out of the home screen?

The top result on a Google search no longer applies, clearly it was written before some menu changes:

[*]Go to the Home screen.
[*]Press the Menu button on your controller.
[*]Select Settings.
[*]Go to Privacy & online safety.
[*]Select Custom.
[*]Scroll right to the desired setting

Have been through all the privacy, customize and safety options in the latest UI and I swear I can't find it.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been having my controller turn itself off recently while watching streaming services? I use headphones wired to the controller and previously the controller would have no problem staying on without inputs while I'm watching something but now it seems like it is going to sleep? Is there a setting or something I can change to stop this?

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Booted up my Series S again yesterday:
-oh, nothing is updated
-there is no space left on the SSD
-WHY THE FUCK IS EVERYTHING SO SLUGGISH

Especially the dashboard was getting on my nerves, it's just so slow I am not sure if there isn't something wrong. Why even bother with Quick Resume when I can't even navigate the system properly?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
My xsx wasnt set to home. I set it to home. I can open my stuff fine. Owned and game pass. Ones that didnt work prior

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I just pre-ordered an Xbox Series X. Have been out of the game since the 360 and I'm super keen to get back into some of my 360 titles (Geometry Wars 2 for life) and get on that Gamepass action. Exciting times!