• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I've run into a problem I cannot solve: Despite letting my GPU lapse and successfully adding 3 one year XBL Gold codes, the process chokes at the conversion step. On desktop and on my Series X. it gets right to the point where it wants to charge me $1 and errors out.

And I think that $1 is the problem. Because I was already a member, I should be getting charged the full $15 amount, right? If that is correct, I have not been able to find a way to do this from MSFT. Would buying a one month code from a third party like Amazon solve the issue?

Really weird.
.. are you going to the $1 upgrade deal page or the $15 game pass ultimate purchase page? It'll error out bc $1 is a one time new users only thing. You should be able to just buy GPU outright for $15.

I think buying a code separately and adding it does the same effect

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
.. are you going to the $1 upgrade deal page or the $15 game pass ultimate purchase page? It'll error out bc $1 is a one time new users only thing. You should be able to just buy GPU outright for $15.

I think buying a code separately and adding it does the same effect

I really hope I'm being a moron but I cannot find the ability to purchase for $15. Put another way, I've yet to come across a $15 game pass ultimate purchase page anywhere. All I get is the $1 offer. Thanks for the help, appreciate it.

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe wait a month? I think 3 years is the limit and that might be why?

In the end, all I had to do was wait 'till the morning. it worked first thing. And not even the $15 option; all it wanted was $1. Weird.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I look forward to not having to deal with this until September 2024, mere months before
Donald Trump Jr.
wins the general election D: D: D:

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
right, thanks, I doing know where I picked up misinformation from. Half reading things no doubt. I'll stick to buying codes online then!
The original idea behind the xbox one was exactly as you describe, where you put the disk in once, and it gets converted into digital copy. Then any further use of the disk would encur a 10$ fee. This was backtracked after massive backlash since it would effectively kill used game sales

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
The original idea behind the xbox one was exactly as you describe, where you put the disk in once, and it gets converted into digital copy. Then any further use of the disk would encur a 10$ fee. This was backtracked after massive backlash since it would effectively kill used game sales

which digital sales are doing anyway, Microsoft offered to make an eBay style market place for digital keys but it was too late, now they used sales market is doomed

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Have you tried different cables? It could also be the port on your router, since it'll only handshake at 1Gbps if it detects that on the other end of the connection.
Tried a brand new cat6 cable and a different port on my switch.
I have two laptops also connected to that switch and both can hit similar speeds when tested in speedtest.net:
15ms ping, 850Mbps Down, and 30Mbps Up

When I do the same test in IE on the xbox, I get the following.
15ms ping, 95Mbps Down, and 30Mbps Up

My job title has been Network Engineer in the past, and I used to see this sort of behavior on hardware that's in the process of failing. It just stop negotiating up to 1gbps. Like it fails to negotiate 1000BASE-T and falls back to 100BASE-TX.

I suppose it could be a firmware problem, but that should cause failures for everyone on that firmware. If it's a hardware problem, then there's a shot that the flaw won't spread, but usually it's the sign of impending failure. I also miss quick software updates. A buddy wanted to play Halo, and I couldn't because it was going to take too long to update.

I'll bypass the switch entirely (and take my laptops wireless) before I have a conversation with Microsoft support about it.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I have two laptops also connected to that switch and both can hit similar speeds when tested in speedtest.net:

My job title has been Network Engineer in the past, and I used to see this sort of behavior on hardware that's in the process of failing. It just stop negotiating up to 1gbps. Like it fails to negotiate 1000BASE-T and falls back to 100BASE-TX.

I suppose it could be a firmware problem, but that should cause failures for everyone on that firmware. If it's a hardware problem, then there's a shot that the flaw won't spread, but usually it's the sign of impending failure. I also miss quick software updates. A buddy wanted to play Halo, and I couldn't because it was going to take too long to update.

I'll bypass the switch entirely (and take my laptops wireless) before I have a conversation with Microsoft support about it.

That sucks. Hopefully it's not a hardware problem (but it does sound like it).

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
That sucks. Hopefully it's not a hardware problem (but it does sound like it).
It does. My biggest issue is that it's a subtle hardware problem. Subtle enough that it may take a lot of phone time to actually get them to acknowledge it as a problem. If this were a T1, I could probably test with a loopback connector, but I don't think there's such a thing for 1000BASE-T, and even then, the xbox would need to know how to test against it.

I could probably prove it if I had a managed switch, but that's really overkill for my usage.

Frankly, I'm looking at this with such dread that if they were readily available, I'd buy another Series X, deal with the warranty issue, and then I'd sell the warranty returned one on craigslist or something.

Anyone know if an external USB Ethernet dongle will work on a Series X?

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Try the built-in speed test in the Network settings of the console, the SpeedTest website relies too much on the CPU, apps on Xbox have limited CPU access, it may be that.

I have 2 Gb fiber and my Series X does 1023 Mb/s down in the built-in speed test (600 Mb/s up, max I have).

EDIT: I just tried on my Series X and I get 1020 Mb/s with the built-in one, and 800 Mb/s in the new Edge.
Do you have the new Edge or the old one ? Maybe the new one is more optimized, or your console indeed have an issue.
What speed do you get over wifi ?

EDIT2: sorry I misread and did not see it was falling back to 100 Mb/s :/

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Anyone know if an external USB Ethernet dongle will work on a Series X?

I'd wager 'no', but you never know. I found out recently that my TV (An X900H running Android TV) actually supports USB Ethernet dongles, which is really handy since the shitty Ethernet port built into the TV is only 100Mbps, and I can get 1Gbps using the dongle. The switch also supports dongles IIRC.

So it's worth a try if you have one in hand.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Try the built-in speed test in the Network settings of the console, the SpeedTest website relies too much on the CPU, apps on Xbox have limited CPU access, it may be that.

I have 2 Gb fiber and my Series X does 1023 Mb/s down in the built-in speed test (600 Mb/s up, max I have).

EDIT: I just tried on my Series X and I get 1020 Mb/s with the built-in one, and 800 Mb/s in the new Edge.
Do you have the new Edge or the old one ? Maybe the new one is more optimized, or your console indeed have an issue.
What speed do you get over wifi ?

EDIT2: sorry I misread and did not see it was falling back to 100 Mb/s :/
Yeah. This has the hallmarks of partially failed silicon. I'll do testing tonight. I used to troubleshoot this stuff for a living.

JCH!

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tenerife
Got my Series X a couple of days ago and having a great time with all the GamePass stuff but man is it me or is Instant Game Response or whatever it's called bugged as fuck?
Several games have become unresponsive forcing me to close and restart (and making me lose progress) several times already. Is this normal?

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Got my Series X a couple of days ago and having a great time with all the GamePass stuff but man is it me or is Instant Game Response or whatever it's called bugged as fuck?
Several games have become unresponsive forcing me to close and restart (and making me lose progress) several times already. Is this normal?
Do you mean your controller stops working? If so, they're actively tracking this, please do make sure you use the "report a problem' feature to submit a bug report whenever this happens.

I've not experienced it myself but I think there's other ways to get control back? Swapping games (relying on Quick Resume to store your current games state) then going back to it or re-syncing your controller come to mind as possible ways round it (I think!).

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018

Yeah it's a known bug. Happens more with older stuff too. Booting up Skate 3 sometimes puts it into absolute turbo mode.

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
Just snagged an online order for the XSX.

There was a time when I thought owning all the current consoles was excessive. Now I'm soon gonna own all three lol

I like what Xbox is doing this gen and look forward to being part of it.

Thanathorn

Dec 10, 2019
Anyone still having issues with recording clips? Seems like my game captures always have out of sync audio or no audio whatsoever. I never had this problem on Xbox One.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
There was a time when I thought owning all the current consoles was excessive. Now I'm soon gonna own all three lol
I also thought it was excessive when I was in high school and couldn't afford them, but now that I can and have had all of them the last 3 gens, I could never go back to just one, as long as each has stuff I want to play

BOT Zé

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone know a place to check for stock o XSX on Microsoft Store in Europe?
I found one website but it only traces the UK

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Tried two different USB ethernet adapters. Neither worked. Both gigabit. I'll try connecting one and rebooting with it plugged in tonight, but I don't have a lot of hope. I'll maybe plug in my spare WAP on my desk next to see how that is. I get 150Mbps with wireless now going through a couple of brick walls.

Oct 28, 2017
Does removing games from your quick resume help with performance in any way? Can I get slightly improved download speed if I have nothing on quick resume?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Does removing games from your quick resume help with performance in any way? Can I get slightly improved download speed if I have nothing on quick resume?

Not that I know of. When a game is in Quick Resume, the state of the game in RAM is stored onto the SSD and doesn't take any CPU or RAM resources, which is why you can literally unplug the console for a week, turn it on, and then Quick Resume back onto a game's last state. In fact, when downloading something, the console will suggest suspending any active games to speed up download. "Suspending" in this context means dumping the game off RAM and adding it to the Quick Resume queue.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Suspending" in this context means dumping the game off RAM and adding it to the Quick Resume queue.
It's doing that for games that supports QR, but for others it suspends the game like when it stays in the background for 10 minutes or when you put the console to sleep. It puts the game in a low power state, literally suspending it, but it's still in the RAM.
Having the game in the RAM does not prevent downloads to going fast, it's just that if a game is active, the system throttles down the downloads to prevent network issues within the game. That's why if you are out of the game for 10 minutes it suspends it automatically.

But it's really too much as it throttles down the speed to 30 Mb/s, even with 2 Gb fiber.
What's fun is when I had 10 Mb/s ADSL the throttle did nothing at all :D (and online games were unplayable if a download started in the background).

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
My Series X arrived yesterday. Downloaded Master Chief Collection via Game Pass and now playing the series for the first time.

I'm early in Halo: CE, but I'm already having a lot fun. It runs super smooth too. Makes me wish I had a 120Hz display.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
My Series X arrived yesterday. Downloaded Master Chief Collection via Game Pass and now playing the series for the first time.

I'm early in Halo: CE, but I'm already having a lot fun. It runs super smooth too. Makes me wish I had a 120Hz display.

I got my first 144hz screen during the summer and Halo at 120 is something very special.

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
My series S download speeds are abysmal, like 5Mbs. If I run the speed test from the S it gets 140Mbs but the actual downloads don't come close to that. PC and PS5 download around that so it's not my network in general. I've closed all games on it, tried rebooting the S and still the same, not sure what else to try now.

BSherrod

Oct 27, 2017
Somehow hit on the Best Buy drop today, did not expect to get one anytime soon but now I can give 2K money for their basketball player life simulator and play with friends.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Somehow hit on the Best Buy drop today, did not expect to get one anytime soon but now I can give 2K money for their basketball player life simulator and play with friends.

Word of warning, apparently NBA 2K22 has pretty serious stability issues. I'd think twice before dropping money on it.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
I currently have my series x sitting horizontally, but I have a cat that likes to sit on such things:

yodabox.jpg

I'm looking for some sort of topper that would allow Yoda to sit on top of the Xbox without blocking the exhaust, mostly because I can't prevent him from sitting on it.

Anyone have any ideas?

This is close to what I would need, but with longer posts - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Anti-Dus...ller-Hook-For-Xbox-Series-x-Console/964990175

EDIT: The possible answer is that kit and some 2-inch dowels to make up the difference.

Last edited:

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
hey guys, I have a PC where I would play most Xbox and gamepass games these days but I'm getting very frustrated with the Xbox app on PC. so I'm thinking of getting an Xbox, mostly for gamepass games that I want to play sitting at my couch. obviously series x is way out of stock but the s is available. was wondering if there were any resources to show the difference in experience between the two consoles? as mentioned I have a PC if I'm not happy with the series s performance in certain games, but it would still be nice to see what the real world difference between the two is before I spend anything.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
hey guys, I have a PC where I would play most Xbox and gamepass games these days but I'm getting very frustrated with the Xbox app on PC. so I'm thinking of getting an Xbox, mostly for gamepass games that I want to play sitting at my couch. obviously series x is way out of stock but the s is available. was wondering if there were any resources to show the difference in experience between the two consoles? as mentioned I have a PC if I'm not happy with the series s performance in certain games, but it would still be nice to see what the real world difference between the two is before I spend anything.
Digital Foundry videos might be a good starting point for understanding the major differences in various games you might be interested in .

A lot of the time it comes down to resolution with the Series S targeting 1080p/1440P and heavy games relying on DRS going down into the 900p range (on a 1080p/1440p screen you're unlikely to notice imo). There's other minor graphical differences on some games (foliage, shadows etc) and sometimes other compromises such as no ray-tracing or a lack of a 60fps mode though this is very dependant on the game and I think is happening less often these days (at least I think most recent games match Series X FPS targets on the whole, I haven't been keeping a close eye on it tbh)

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England

I got an X as I was buying via Access All Xbox, so the difference in machines was something like £8.

I hung around for the X as I was hoping to play things like Control with Ray Tracing etc. Also I wanted the better BC that you got with the One X. However, if I were buying outright, the S seems like a great option as it is a really low barrier to entry. Best thing would be to pick a game you are interested in and look at a VS comparison.

Doesn't seem to be living up to the "same game but at 1440p" pitch, but near enough. I don't think you're going to get woeful performance or anything. The sort of thing you need a highlights video drawing circles and zooming in to know about.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Digital Foundry videos might be a good starting point for understanding the major differences in various games you might be interested in .

A lot of the time it comes down to resolution with the Series S targeting 1080p/1440P and heavy games relying on DRS going down into the 900p range (on a 1080p/1440p screen you're unlikely to notice imo). There's other minor graphical differences on some games (foliage, shadows etc) and sometimes other compromises such as no ray-tracing or a lack of a 60fps mode though this is very dependant on the game and I think is happening less often these days (at least I think most recent games match Series X FPS targets on the whole, I haven't been keeping a close eye on it tbh)
Thanks! I knew about DF, but do they have anything written down to have a quick glance? I'm not too worried about res, I have a 4k tv but as I said for that kind of thing I have a PC, or even PS5 for the multiplats. More interested in framerate and any in game differences.

I got an X as I was buying via Access All Xbox, so the difference in machines was something like £8.

I hung around for the X as I was hoping to play things like Control with Ray Tracing etc. Also I wanted the better BC that you got with the One X. However, if I were buying outright, the S seems like a great option as it is a really low barrier to entry. Best thing would be to pick a game you are interested in and look at a VS comparison.

Doesn't seem to be living up to the "same game but at 1440p" pitch, but near enough. I don't think you're going to get woeful performance or anything. The sort of thing you need a highlights video drawing circles and zooming in to know about.
Cheers, yeah it seems the VS videos seem to be the best way to look into it. I'm only really looking into it as I can get the S for €99 by trading in my One X that's gone unused since I got a PS5.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Thanks! I knew about DF, but do they have anything written down to have a quick glance? I'm not too worried about res, I have a 4k tv but as I said for that kind of thing I have a PC, or even PS5 for the multiplats. More interested in framerate and any in game differences.

Cheers, yeah it seems the VS videos seem to be the best way to look into it. I'm only really looking into it as I can get the S for €99 by trading in my One X that's gone unused since I got a PS5.
Most of their videos get a write-up too, you can find them in the Face-Off section at Eurogamer

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England

Oh you have a PS5 too? Yeah, it sounds like you need a little companion box, so the S would be great for getting those Xbox only titles you are interested in. Only thing, you'll have to be ultra strict with your downloading due to the SDD, just ask yourself "do I really need 4 jRPGs on the go right now?" when you're looking at your storage! Superb for 99EUR too, you're effectively getting a new controller for your PC and having an Xbox thrown in for free. Kind of. Just be aware, you lose out on those boosted Xbox One X only BC benefits unless things change in the future.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Most of their videos get a write-up too, you can find them in the Face-Off section at Eurogamer

Oh you have a PS5 too? Yeah, it sounds like you need a little companion box, so the S would be great for getting those Xbox only titles you are interested in. Only thing, you'll have to be ultra strict with your downloading due to the SDD, just ask yourself "do I really need 4 jRPGs on the go right now?" when you're looking at your storage! Superb for 99EUR too, you're effectively getting a new controller for your PC and having an Xbox thrown in for free. Kind of. Just be aware, you lose out on those boosted Xbox One X only BC benefits unless things change in the future.

dope. thanks guys. it's actually Psychonauts 2 that's caused me to even think about this. that's a great couch game for me, so I haven't played it too much on my pc haha. I've read the BC is the Xbox One version rather than One X which is a bit disappointing but when it comes down to it, my One X has been sitting in a drawer for a while now so I don't think that would make a huge difference.

edit: oh wait actually I have one more question. do saves transfer for gamepass games? like say I pick up a Series S and start playing Psychonauts 2, will it just grab my pc save?