• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
For me it's headset dependent. My Bose gets unbearable noise, while my Sony set gets barely nothing at all. I have feeling that the jack in the standard controller is terrible. Mine feels very loose and wobly. I can alter / provoke the noise with Bose by pressing the face buttons.

Interesting. All my cans are Sony, so maybe that's why I didn't think it was headphone-dependent. My jack seems secure, but yeah - I wouldn't be surprised if it's shoddy internals. I really wish it's something Microsoft would address either way. While I do have a pair of wireless gaming headphones, they don't sound nearly as good as regular cans.

I've literally been in games before where the static got so bad that my controller died and had to be re-paired. Now, when I hear the static getting especially bad, I just pull the cord out of the controller because I know it's about to disconnect.

Oct 29, 2017
Interesting. All my cans are Sony, so maybe that's why I didn't think it was headphone-dependent. My jack seems secure, but yeah - I wouldn't be surprised if it's shoddy internals. I really wish it's something Microsoft would address either way. While I do have a pair of wireless gaming headphones, they don't sound nearly as good as regular cans.

I've literally been in games before where the static got so bad that my controller died and had to be re-paired. Now, when I hear the static getting especially bad, I just pull the cord out of the controller because I know it's about to disconnect.
I get no disconnection issues.

Only my Sonys are wireless, and I've resorted to thether them to my TV (which dosen't allow for volumecontrol over bluetooth), since MS decided standard bluetooth headsets isn't allowed, meaning I have to control volume pr. game. It's the one thing I'm really annoyed by, on the platform.

JCH!

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tenerife
I got a question that I don't know where to ask.

I just bought a Series X in Doha, Qatar. I assume it will work no problems when I go back home to Spain if I change the power cable, right?
I was pretty sure it would be fine until the second after I placed my order, lol.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

I just bought a Series X in Doha, Qatar. I assume it will work no problems when I go back home to Spain if I change the power cable, right?
I was pretty sure it would be fine until the second after I placed my order, lol.
Should be multivoltage, but look at the box/label for voltage. Should say 100-220V or something.

Edit: see below

Last edited:

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017

A quick google search tells me that Qatar is a 240v, 50hz country so you should be fine. You just need to provide the power cable since the plugs in Qatar are different.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this is frowned upon or what but I'm asking:
My account has been made in France, is there any way I can buy a game from a different region? With a gift card from that currency if needed (I doubt non-local credit cards would work right?)

Thank you.

JCH!

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tenerife

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Anyone have a Brook Wingman XB converter and use it on a Series X? I'm looking at getting one to use my spare DualSense as a Series X controller, and while the site says it's compatible, I was hoping to hear some real user reviews.
So I took the chance and ordered a Wingman XB. It only took a minute to update the firmware and a couple of seconds to pair the DS to the console. This thing works amazing! I now have a black DualSense that I'm using exclusively for the Series X. There's no perceivable input lag and all of the buttons and vibration work great (those sweet sweet haptics).

The only downside is it can't turn on the Series X, but that's easy enough to do with the TV remote

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
So I took the chance and ordered a Wingman XB. It only took a minute to update the firmware and a couple of seconds to pair the DS to the console. This thing works amazing! I now have a black DualSense that I'm using exclusively for the Series X. There's no perceivable input lag and all of the buttons and vibration work great (those sweet sweet haptics).

The only downside is it can't turn on the Series X, but that's easy enough to do with the TV remote
I have used it for other controllers and arcade sticks, but not a DualSense, hence why I didn't say anything. Thing is great.

Transistor

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I have used it for other controllers and arcade sticks, but not a DualSense, hence why I didn't say anything. Thing is great.
It really is. I didn't mind the Series controller, but the vibration motors in mine just rattle like crazy and are super loud. Figured I had an extra dualsense laying around that this was a cheaper method.

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
Let your gamepass run out. Buy a year of gold and redeem it. Buy a month of gamepass ultimate. Your year of gold becomes a year of gamepass.

Yes. Have no active subscription. Add gold. Then purchase gpu and it will convert 1:1

Costco has one-year XBL Gold cards for $55. Is there a Gold to GPU limit (i.e., one year)? Or would it be advisable to purchase multiple years and convert at once?

Side note: MSFT sure does love to remind you - upon every game boot - that your membership is soon to expire! I have about a week left.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Costco has one-year XBL Gold cards for $55. Is there a Gold to GPU limit (i.e., one year)? Or would it be advisable to purchase multiple years and convert at once?

Side note: MSFT sure does love to remind you - upon every game boot - that your membership is soon to expire! I have about a week left.
3 years maximum of gpu, so 3 years maximum of gold

May 14, 2021

Wait what is this? My biggest complaint is the Series controllers A and Y buttons often don't register presses. If I can use a DualShock, that would be amazing.

Transistor

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Wait what is this? My biggest complaint is the Series controllers A and Y buttons often don't register presses. If I can use a DualShock, that would be amazing.
It's this thing right here:

Wingman XB - Brook Gaming

Now you can use PS5, PS4, PS3, XSX|S, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Switch Pro, SEGA Astro City, MEDA Drive mini controller on Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and Original Xbox.Support Flight Stick Now!

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Just preordered the xbox series x halo edition.
Such a great looking console. Now I am going to have to wait until November.

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I can't swap between Assassin's Creed Valhalla and youtube without both requiring full loads. Youtube only takes a second which is whatever.

But if I toggle over to youtube and then back to Valhalla I have to wait minutes for loading. That's not even a quick resume thing. It's getting bumped out of memory every time.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I really really wish there was a better way to track achievements in this dang game. Jack of All Planes is really pissing me off lol. 300+ miles with all standard planes, and there are three that aren't registering. No way to know which three. If I have to go through them all AGAIN, it's going to be another 80hrs for that one dang achievement.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Decided to check out Hunt during the free weekend. Yikes at Series S performance .. poor frame rate, blurry, pop in. Hear X isn't much better. Shame.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
So my Switch seems to be f'n up and perhaps it's not long for this world. Instead of buying a new one, I'm thinking of getting an Xbox Series S exclusively for game pass while waiting for the Switch Pro.

Just a few questions, is it ok for me to buy Xbox One controllers to be used for the Series S? They are way cheaper than the Series S version. Also, what's the cheapest way to get into game pass ultimate? And finally, are third party rechargeable battery thingy reliable? Any help would be appreciated.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
So my Switch seems to be f'n up and perhaps it's not long for this world. Instead of buying a new one, I'm thinking of getting an Xbox Series S exclusively for game pass while waiting for the Switch Pro.

Just a few questions, is it ok for me to buy Xbox One controllers to be used for the Series S? They are way cheaper than the Series S version. Also, what's the cheapest way to get into game pass ultimate? And finally, are third party rechargeable battery thingy reliable? Any help would be appreciated.

1. Yep XB1 controllers work great. Only thing you really lose is the share button.

2. Gold conversion - buy up to 3 years of Xbox Live Gold as cheaply as you can find it and then convert it all to Game Pass Ultimate for whatever the current promo price on a month of Ultimate is.

3. Not sure. I've only used the official play n charge kit which was... Fine. But it didn't actually have great battery life compared to just using AAs. Eneloops are what I'm using now and they work great, long life and reusable.

Also I assume this is more than you're looking to spend, but the Elite controller has fantastic battery life and comes with a charging stand.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
is it ok for me to buy Xbox One controllers to be used for the Series S? They are way cheaper than the Series S version.
Yes, but try to get the controllers with Bluetooth on them, the older ones aren't getting the update which reduces input latency. If I remember correctly the ones with Bluetooth have the headphone jack on them and the plastic around the Xbox button is part of the main shell rather than looking like a separate piece.

And finally, are third party rechargeable battery thingy reliable? Any help would be appreciated.
Avoid the ones with a built in cover, if I remember correctly they don't fit the new controllers. Worth noting that the old Xbox controllers use micro-USB and the new ones use USB-C so if you plan to use it across multiple controllers you may need to get an additional cable.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
1. Yep XB1 controllers work great. Only thing you really lose is the share button.

2. Gold conversion - buy up to 3 years of Xbox Live Gold as cheaply as you can find it and then convert it all to Game Pass Ultimate for whatever the current promo price on a month of Ultimate is.

3. Not sure. I've only used the official play n charge kit which was... Fine. But it didn't actually have great battery life compared to just using AAs. Eneloops are what I'm using now and they work great, long life and reusable.

Also I assume this is more than you're looking to spend, but the Elite controller has fantastic battery life and comes with a charging stand.
Thanks so much for the answers.

1. Is the play n charge kit compatible between both the Series S and Xbox One controllers?

2. Wow. Are you saying that with just buying a month of Game Pass Ultimate, I can convert the entire 3 years of XBL Gold into GPU? Sounds like an insane deal.

3. How long does the play n charge last? Can I expect anywhere close to 20 hours? How long do the eneloops last in comparison? Alas, the Elite controllers are way out of my budget. Lol.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
Yes, but try to get the controllers with Bluetooth on them, the older ones aren't getting the update which reduces input latency. If I remember correctly the ones with Bluetooth have the headphone jack on them and the plastic around the Xbox button is part of the main shell rather than looking like a separate piece.

Avoid the ones with a built in cover, if I remember correctly they don't fit the new controllers. Worth noting that the old Xbox controllers use micro-USB and the new ones use USB-C so if you plan to use it across multiple controllers you may need to get an additional cable.
I see. This is very helpful. Thanks. Feels like I'm better off just buying eneloops or something.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Thanks so much for the answers.

1. Is the play n charge kit compatible between both the Series S and Xbox One controllers?

2. Wow. Are you saying that with just buying a month of Game Pass Ultimate, I can convert the entire 3 years of XBL Gold into GPU? Sounds like an insane deal.

3. How long does the play n charge last? Can I expect anywhere close to 20 hours? How long do the eneloops last in comparison? Alas, the Elite controllers are way out of my budget. Lol.

Yeah of course, welcome to Xbox land! Great system imo.

1. Not sure - the battery should fit, but you'd have to make sure you get a USB micro cable for Xbox One controllers vs a USB C cable for Series controllers. As you said above, just go with eneloops.

2. Yes, it's honestly a bit nuts haha. But that's exactly how it works.

3. Idk specific numbers but for me eneloops seem comparable to AA which is like 3-4 weeks of gaming for me and I probably game on Xbox around 5-10 hours a week. The play and charge kit felt more like half that, similar to a DualShock 4. In general Xbox controllers with AA or eneloops get great battery life.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017

1. Not sure - the battery should fit, but you'd have to make sure you get a USB micro cable for Xbox One controllers vs a USB C cable for Series controllers. As you said above, just go with eneloops.

3. Idk specific numbers but for me eneloops seem comparable to AA which is like 3-4 weeks of gaming for me and I probably game on Xbox around 5-10 hours a week. The play and charge kit felt more like half that, similar to a DualShock 4. In general Xbox controllers with AA or eneloops get great battery life.
I can also recommend eneloops (well, the ikea ones).
I have 4 pairs (I used them before for some wmr controllers) and while using one, I can have another pair charging, I never run out of juice.
They last around a month with light gaming, like you said.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017

Thanks. I'll probably get eneloops. Pretty excited to get back into the Xbox. Just in time for Halo Infinite.

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but does anyone know what resolution Andromeda is running at? I vaguely remember it not receiving the same patch the PS4Pro version got. Was this corrected?

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
The store likes to update frequently, but always hangs at 110/111mb and the console becomes useless until it finishes. It's weird, anytime experience this?
Yes, I get this sometimes too. Happened last night actually. I resolved it previously but the actions I had to take were entirely too drastic. I reset the console and moved all my games to the expansion card, I don't recommend that. Haven't checked this morning.

Edit: wait, what do you mean "useless"?

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Yes, I get this sometimes too. Happened last night actually. I resolved it previously but the actions I had to take were entirely too drastic. I reset the console and moved all my games to the expansion card, I don't recommend that. Haven't checked this morning.

Edit: wait, what do you mean "useless"?

While the store is stuck at 99% for about 5 minutes, nothing will launch and just gives errors. Once the store finishes I can launch apps or games. Sometimes the disc drive will bump around too.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
While the store is stuck at 99% for about 5 minutes, nothing will launch and just gives errors. Once the store finishes I can launch apps or games. Sometimes the disc drive will bump around too.
Hmm. Mine stopped at 98% but doesn't lock me out of anything it's more just annoying than inhibiting.

Like I said I fixed it before by factory resetting the console but that was awful drastic.

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
Let your gamepass run out. Buy a year of gold and redeem it. Buy a month of gamepass ultimate. Your year of gold becomes a year of gamepass.

Yes. Have no active subscription. Add gold. Then purchase gpu and it will convert 1:1

I've run into a problem I cannot solve: Despite letting my GPU lapse and successfully adding 3 one year XBL Gold codes, the process chokes at the conversion step. On desktop and on my Series X. it gets right to the point where it wants to charge me $1 and errors out.

And I think that $1 is the problem. Because I was already a member, I should be getting charged the full $15 amount, right? If that is correct, I have not been able to find a way to do this from MSFT. Would buying a one month code from a third party like Amazon solve the issue?

Really weird.