• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Hopefully someone can answer the following;

If I preorder a digital game, does it automatically download as soon as it goes live, even if I have automatic downloads disabled for updates and such?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Hopefully someone can answer the following;

If I preorder a digital game, does it automatically download as soon as it goes live, even if I have automatic downloads disabled for updates and such?
No. You can pre-load it when that becomes available though. Usually games will have a 200 mb or so stub to download and then your automatic downloads will take care of it when the full fat download/day 1 patches become available. For example, I preloaded Psychonauts 2 back in June and it downloaded all 27 GB or whatever by launch day. Same thing if you buy a game. Once the stub to preload becomes available it will auto update from there on.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Anyone using a series s with a 4K tv?

Is the resolution hit a problem?

Contemplating buying one for the bedroom.

It's not a problem. A lot of games still run at resolutions above 1080p, including Enhanced 360 games and OG Xbox games. There are quite a few 1440p and up games on the platform. Hades is pin sharp at full native 4K.

And of course, you need a 4K TV for HDR, and with Auto HDR that's quite a big deal IMO.

In general the games that fare the worst are Xbox One games since those run with One S settings, and of course, the resolution drop is noticeable, though most recent games, even if they are still Xbox One skus, generally run at higher resolutions on the One S.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
No. You can pre-load it when that becomes available though. Usually games will have a 200 mb or so stub to download and then your automatic downloads will take care of it when the full fat download/day 1 patches become available. For example, I preloaded Psychonauts 2 back in June and it downloaded all 27 GB or whatever by launch day. Same thing if you buy a game. Once the stub to preload becomes available it will auto update from there on.
Yeah, I pre-ordered Lost in Random earlier and it automatically queued a ~260mb download. I don't usually pre-order games, but I do make an exception for physical releases. I'm assuming once the pre-load goes live, it'll show under the updates tab.

Thank you for the info!
The pre-load works like an update, so I don't think so. You need update auto-downloads set up for it to work
That's exactly what I want. I don't want it start automatically.

Thanks!

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
My series x is doing something weird. I pulled down too much via gamepass. I uninstalled a bunch of it, but periodically it attempts to download it all again! Am I doing things wrong? Totally fresh to it btw.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
My series x is doing something weird. I pulled down too much via gamepass. I uninstalled a bunch of it, but periodically it attempts to download it all again! Am I doing things wrong? Totally fresh to it btw.
If you overload the download queue it does tend to get a bit temperamental. Had this happen sometimes when like 15 updates were pending. But it shouldn't redownload stuff you deleted

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Want to ask a quick resume question here too. How do you use it when multiple people are playing the same game. My boy keeps jumping into my session of Forza when he is logged in.

(apologies, not been full fat home console since a PS3 and Switch is rather straight forward in comparison!)

RE: my download issue - the Gamepass iOS app had a whole bunch of downloads marked "Status Unknown" (or similar), so I reckon the iOS app was periodically pushing for them to download. Basically, have deleted it and we'll see what happens in a week's time or so.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
are XSS fairly easy to get hold of in the UK at the moment? I bought one with the GAME trade in deal to replace my son's XB1, but he isn't bothered anymore :) - he really only played FIFA on it and so its just sitting in my hall being unused (I have a XSX already).

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
are XSS fairly easy to get hold of in the UK at the moment? I bought one with the GAME trade in deal to replace my son's XB1, but he isn't bothered anymore :) - he really only played FIFA on it and so its just sitting in my hall being unused (I have a XSX already).
Yes, they're readily available. Why do you ask?
If you're planning to sell yours, you'll lose money on it so might as well keep it.

Zip Stick

Oct 30, 2017

The XSS is always instock on the UK Microsoft store.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Just now, Xbox Series S/X all access orders are available at wal mart dot com. It's been over 5hrs and orders are still being accepted and verified.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK

Is that deal still going? I did it back in June, and it was like "DEAL ENDS IN TWO DAYS!" I guess that was just fake hype to get people in.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, so I got a Series X recently and I've been leaving it on stand by. I noticed that even several hours after being turned off, it still generates some heat; it's not much, but it's definitely warm to the touch on its sides, around the mid section of the console.

And I found it a bit unusual, I'm used PlayStation consoles and normally they don't get warm unless they're doing something while in stand by - like downloads. I immediately checked my PS5 for warm areas and found none.

So is this normal? My Series X has been warm since yesterday by now.

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, so I got a Series X recently and I've been leaving it on stand by. I noticed that even several hours after being turned off, it still generates some heat; it's not much, but it's definitely warm to the touch on its sides, around the mid section of the console.

And I found it a bit unusual, I'm used PlayStation consoles and normally they don't get warm unless they're doing something while in stand by - like downloads. I immediately checked my PS5 for warm areas and found none.

With the console set to instant-on I find that to be the normal operation of the console. If you set it to power saving it generates much less heat, but it takes like 20 or so seconds to boot, so not a big deal. PlayStation consoles to me definitely have the better power management when in standby.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I just checked it again and it's a lot cooler now. The back is still a liiiittle warm, but not as warm as it was before. So I'm assuming it was doing something before. I just don't know what it was, it was definitely not downloading anything lol

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it occurred me that it could be updating something. I thought it wasn't because I don't have recent games installed, so they wouldn't be updated. But then I figured it could be updating apps.

So, that's a relief for sure haha.
And don't worry, in standby, if it ends up getting too warm, it will spin the fan for a few minutes and turn it off again.
That's just normal in this mode, the One X can get warm too.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I had the same issue because I had left a controller or something on top of the console while it was off, then at once stage I smelled burning plastic. So I don't leave anything on top of it now when powered off.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018

Even when it's turned off mine still hums, stays warm, and blows out air. I think it's normal.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Apologies if this has been asked/answered before, but does anyone know why plugging a pair of headphones into the Xbox controller results in issues sometimes?

Maybe a third of the time, I'll get intermittent static and noise. Sometimes it'll get bad enough that it'll literally disconnect my controller. It happens regardless of which headphones I use (though I mostly use Sony 1000XM3s), how charged the controller battery is, and what game I'm playing. It's literally never happened once on my PS4 (when I had it), or my PS5, so I don't think it's just signal interference the way I see some people attribute it to online.

I don't have an Elite controller or a 3rd party controller, but I wonder if they'd have these issues, too. My guess is that the standard Xbox controller isn't able to reliably power certain cans maybe? Maybe the Elites don't have this issue.

Either way, it's not the end of the world. But I was just curious if there was a definitive answer since, although I can find other people online who complain of this issue, the answers seem to vary.

Sep 12, 2018
Apologies if this has been asked/answered before, but does anyone know why plugging a pair of headphones into the Xbox controller results in issues sometimes?

Maybe a third of the time, I'll get intermittent static and noise. Sometimes it'll get bad enough that it'll literally disconnect my controller. It happens regardless of which headphones I use (though I mostly use Sony 1000XM3s), how charged the controller battery is, and what game I'm playing. It's literally never happened once on my PS4 (when I had it), or my PS5, so I don't think it's just signal interference the way I see some people attribute it to online.

I don't have an Elite controller or a 3rd party controller, but I wonder if they'd have these issues, too. My guess is that the standard Xbox controller isn't able to reliably power certain cans maybe? Maybe the Elites don't have this issue.

Either way, it's not the end of the world. But I was just curious if there was a definitive answer since, although I can find other people online who complain of this issue, the answers seem to vary.
This happened with me and turning the mic volume all the way down in the game overlay fixed the problem.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
And don't worry, in standby, if it ends up getting too warm, it will spin the fan for a few minutes and turn it off again.
That's just normal in this mode, the One X can get warm too.

I had the same issue because I had left a controller or something on top of the console while it was off, then at once stage I smelled burning plastic. So I don't leave anything on top of it now when powered off.

Even when it's turned off mine still hums, stays warm, and blows out air. I think it's normal.
Thanks for the replies, I was just concerned it could've been a faulty unit, but it's good to know it's normal behavior!

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Anyone have a Brook Wingman XB converter and use it on a Series X? I'm looking at getting one to use my spare DualSense as a Series X controller, and while the site says it's compatible, I was hoping to hear some real user reviews.

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Yeah I think have a bad pair (or at least 1) of eneloop ever 8 years. Often charge and then swap and dead. Last night I put 4 on charger, and 1 pair done and one pair still blinking.

They heard me and have completed. Roughly 9 hours to charge now.

Last edited:

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know what's up with games not supporting Quick Resume lately?

Several new games, already released with X|S optimizations, don't support Quick Resume. Death's Door and Recompile are examples off the top of my head. There might also have been a game that supported it before, but then lost the support when it got enhanced.

It's really annoying, since Quick Resume is a fantastic feature.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

Several new games, already released with X|S optimizations, don't support Quick Resume. Death's Door and Recompile are examples off the top of my head. There might also have been a game that supported it before, but then lost the support when it got enhanced.

It really is annoying, and it bums me out everytime it happens.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017

yeah its going on for some months now.
any info about this would helpful.
its annoying and pretty much makes the feature unreliable for me.

Oct 29, 2017

For me it's headset dependent. My Bose gets unbearable noise, while my Sony set gets barely nothing at all. I have feeling that the jack in the standard controller is terrible. Mine feels very loose and wobly. I can alter / provoke the noise with Bose by pressing the face buttons.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020

It could be because they're being built with the version of the GDK that had the issue that resulted in Quick Resume being disabled until they were manually checked. See this post by OscarK:

The upgraded games are built against the GDK (as they take advantage of some features that are only in the GDK such as ray-tracing), however we had to introduce a min-version of GDK for Quick Resume to be automatically enabled (due to a couple of bugs discovered after the GDK shipped). I can double check, but these particular upgrades are using a GDK below that min-version so are disabled until we do some additional testing and enable them individually.

Apologies for the inconvenience, but there are people working on validating them. And as games get built with newer GDK versions, Quick Resume will automatically be enabled

At some point I believe all games will launch with Quick Resume enabled unless explicitly disabled by the publisher.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Got my Series S 3 days ago and I think it's dead. It started hard locking and crashing in the dashboard, I thought maybe it didn't like the video settings (I'm using it with a 1440p/144Hz monitor) so I turned that off, seemed better but then started again. Did a full reset, now I can't get it to do anything. It starts up, loads the dash, but the second I give input it crashes again.

Anybody know anything else I should try before RMA'ing it?

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
So is there realistically a chance for me to get one of these before Infinite launches? Or am I going to have to play the watch the supply game until the new year.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
Got my Series S 3 days ago and I think it's dead. It started hard locking and crashing in the dashboard, I thought maybe it didn't like the video settings (I'm using it with a 1440p/144Hz monitor) so I turned that off, seemed better but then started again. Did a full reset, now I can't get it to do anything. It starts up, loads the dash, but the second I give input it crashes again.

Anybody know anything else I should try before RMA'ing it?

don't bother and just rma i think, sounds like it was already dead when it arrived.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
It could be because they're being built with the version of the GDK that had the issue that resulted in Quick Resume being disabled until they were manually checked. See this post by OscarK:

At some point I believe all games will launch with Quick Resume enabled unless explicitly disabled by the publisher.
Thanks, this is exactly what I wanted to understand. It makes sense; hopefully these games get Quick Resume enabled via an update or manual verification and this will stop being an issue soon enough.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Thanks, this is exactly what I wanted to understand. It makes sense; hopefully these games get Quick Resume enabled via an update or manual verification and this will stop being an issue soon enough.
Could've sworn Death's Door got QR enabled some time after launch. Psychonauts 2 worked out of the gate.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Hm, repair through MS or just return to Amazon? It did work for like a day....
3 days in? That's a replacement from retailer situation for me. Not only will it be faster but you should get a brand new unit in replacement. I'd only consider sending it to MS at this stage if the retailer said they couldn't replace it for a month or two due to a lack of stock.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
3 days in? That's a replacement from retailer situation for me. Not only will it be faster but you should get a brand new unit in replacement. I'd only consider sending it to MS at this stage if the retailer said they couldn't replace it for a month or two due to a lack of stock.

Yeah, unfortunately Amazon doesn't have stock, so return/refund was the only option. I considered doing that and just buying direct from the MS Store, but I chatted with a rep who offered me a partial refund to keep it and send it in for service. The refund more than covers the expedited shipping cost to MS so I'm pretty happy I guess.

Not a huge deal as this is a secondary console for me but I can't imagine if I was someone that spent months trying to get one of these things and it's dead in 2 days with no replacement stock and the only option was to send your brand new console in for repair and wait another 2 weeks