• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I stream with Elgato 4k60 in my PC

Tbf I prefer streaming multiplats from Xbox or PC due to it having dual audio output so I can still get my Dolby Atmos audio while streaming on PC.

With Playstation I have to output my audio on my PC which loses any 3D Audio etc including a 0.1 second delay which is off putting.

Does that have two HDMI outputs? one for PC and one for TV?

I'm not looking to spend much as it's only for fun.

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone know if the Series X can stream 60fps from the Twitch app. I was recently streaming a game for a couple friends and the feed appeared to be 30. Not a huge deal if it cant honestly.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason, these big companies like MS and Apple keep offering this blue-light mode nonsense even though there is no scientific proof that restricting blue light at night does anything - other than placebo, that is. Watching at a screen before sleep can affect you, but blue light most likely has nothing to do with it. It's up there with PC filter glasses.

Other than that, this seems like a nice option to have and a cool update.
The American Academy of Ophthalmology appears to disagree with you:

https://www.aao.org/eye-health/tips-prevention/should-you-be-worried-about-blue-light
Blue light does affect the body's circadian rhythm, our natural wake and sleep cycle. During the day, blue light wakes us up and stimulates us. But too much blue light exposure late at night from your phone, tablet or computer can make it harder to get to sleep.
https://www.aao.org/eye-health/tips-prevention/should-you-use-night-mode-to-reduce-blue-light
Studies show young people are particularly susceptible to blue light affecting sleep. Luckily, our technology has adapted. A simple way to avoid both sleep disruption and eye strain is to turn on night mode on our iPhone or Android devices.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason, these big companies like MS and Apple keep offering this blue-light mode nonsense even though there is no scientific proof that restricting blue light at night does anything - other than placebo, that is. Watching at a screen before sleep can affect you, but blue light most likely has nothing to do with it. It's up there with PC filter glasses.

Other than that, this seems like a nice option to have and a cool update.
If it's optional, why is that a bad thing? My phone has a similar option and I use it every night. Not sure I'd use it on a TV, but it works well on phones. "Placebo" or not, it's more pleasant to look at the screen at night with that mode enabled.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok then, I guess I was misinformed. Tbh, I keep hearing about screen filters and special glasses that I guess I figured this was a part of that stuff. But I guess it's real then. My bad.
No worries! Believe me when I say I've been confidently incorrect myself many times before.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the consensus on the beta rings? Should I just stay in stable and just wait for stuff to hit naturally or yolo and join an insider ring.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK

Can anyone advise on this issue I'm having? I've tried a few games and Minecraft is the only game to do this. Does it with my gaming headset and normal in ear headphones.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
They are pretty different, mainly in that OG is an amazing sequel to Chaos Theory and 360 is just kind of mediocre.
That's because the OG Xbox and 360 version were made by two different teams. Xbox version was handled by the Chaos Theory team whilst the 360 version was created by the Pandora Tomorrow team.
360 version gets undeserved bad reputation for changing up a few things, even though the core gameplay was centred around stealth. Plus it ran rather poorly with horrendous screen-tearing, so it didn't leave a good first impression.

It's a far better experience on the One X/Series consoles.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Grabbed Rainbow Siege Deluxe edition for Xbox Series s/x from Best Buy for $10. Used one of my reward certificates, got the game free lol.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Questions. Seeing as the Series consoles don't support USB microphones, it is possible to use something like this and run a USB mic into the controller?

51UZRlIvSwL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

FlanjeUK

Apr 20, 2019
Questions. Seeing as the Series consoles don't support USB microphones, it is possible to use something like this and run a USB mic into the controller?

51UZRlIvSwL._AC_SL1001_.jpg
It should work, if it just converts it to a standard 4 pole connection as it looks like it does I don't see why not, but if it's just the mic with no earpiece you won't be able to hear any ingame chat at all, only party chat can be configured to output via speakers/TV

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
It should work, if it just converts it to a standard 4 pole connection as it looks like it does I don't see why not, but if it's just the mic with no earpiece you won't be able to hear any ingame chat at all, only party chat can be configured to output via speakers/TV
Does it work that way though? The dongle would have to be a USB host and have a DAC to convert the system audio to USB audio, and convert the microphone audio to analog audio.

Additionally the headphones would have to support a generic USB audio standard as you likely wouldn't be able to load any additional drivers onto the dongle.

The wikipedia article is a bit slim - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Audio_streaming

FlanjeUK

Apr 20, 2019
Does it work that way though? The dongle would have to be a USB host and have a DAC to convert the system audio to USB audio, and convert the microphone audio to analog audio.

Additionally the headphones would have to support a generic USB audio standard as you likely wouldn't be able to load any additional drivers onto the dongle.

The wikipedia article is a bit slim - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Audio_streaming
I meant assuming the dongle was functional, there's no reason I can think of that the Xbox wouldn't work with it. I have no idea if that specific device itself works or not.

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else have issues getting their saves to sync across devices? I'm trying to play Skyrim without being tethered to my TV, but every attempt to do so fails miserably:
  • PC version, downloaded in XBOX app with Game Pass account, but won't sync save
  • Game streaming lags like crazy on 5ghz wifi
  • Remote Play refuses to work with Series S connected via ethernet and other device 15ft away from the router on 5ghz
Streaming has always been a relatively crap experience, but if game saves would sync properly, I could just play the installed version on my laptop.
Doesn't appear like Skyrim is play anywhere and the PC version doesn't seem to have cloud saves. You could always try a streaming app for your PC like Rainway or Parsec.

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
Ah bummer, thanks for checking. I'll give those two suggested apps a look.

A bit surprised that Skyrim is Series enhanced but doesn't have play anywhere cross-save functionality.. but I guess they are two completely different things.
Cross save support between Xbox and PC is behind the Xbox Play Anywhere badge, look for that tag on the Store and Xbox PC app.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Just noticed I can't play any game videos from Gamepass on my Series S, constant freezing. No problems in my Series X.

An actual issue for me it's the Gamepass app, until about a week ago I could install to both xboxes, now it only gives me the Series X as a option

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Sure is driving me nuts that for over a week the time played stat has been broken. Wish they would fix it..

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Cross posting from the Xbox OT in hopes of reaching a larger audience:
Hey did anyone else ever have graphical issues while playing The Medium on XSX? Like shiny lights appearing when they shouldn't and warping and stuff? I know stuff like that is usually a sign of a failing GPU (or RAM or something along those lines) but I've not had any such issues in any other Series X games I've played such as Flight Sim (though with VRR off and photogrammetry disabled), Black Ops Cold War (with RT on) or Doom Eternal in the RT mode. So I'm just wondering if maybe The Medium has some sort of specific issues that is causing my problem and if so I'd like the reassurance.

I've got 11 months left on my warranty so I'm not really afraid of any warranty issues (as I imagine that if my hardware will fail, it'll probably be evident across more games within a few months.) If I had bought my Xbox at launch or something I would be absolutely terrified and probably have sent it in already honestly

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Cross posting from the Xbox OT in hopes of reaching a larger audience:
Hey did anyone else ever have graphical issues while playing The Medium on XSX? Like shiny lights appearing when they shouldn't and warping and stuff? I know stuff like that is usually a sign of a failing GPU (or RAM or something along those lines) but I've not had any such issues in any other Series X games I've played such as Flight Sim (though with VRR off and photogrammetry disabled), Black Ops Cold War (with RT on) or Doom Eternal in the RT mode. So I'm just wondering if maybe The Medium has some sort of specific issues that is causing my problem and if so I'd like the reassurance.

I've got 11 months left on my warranty so I'm not really afraid of any warranty issues (as I imagine that if my hardware will fail, it'll probably be evident across more games within a few months.) If I had bought my Xbox at launch or something I would be absolutely terrified and probably have sent it in already honestly

I think the flashing lights in the Medium was a known bug. But I thought it was also addressed in a patch. Maybe one or two of those is my imagination.

Oct 27, 2017
Are we still expecting a DIL update for Xbox One controllers. I'd like to get an Elite 2 but if my current controller will perform better it's a hard sell even if I want those sweet sweet paddles

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I think the flashing lights in the Medium was a known bug. But I thought it was also addressed in a patch. Maybe one or two of those is my imagination.
Yeah, it is a known bug. Did some googling after posting (probably should have googled first, whoops) and found it's listed as a known issue on their website but no post about a fix yet…

Sucks but at least I don't have to fear. Thank you for taking the time to respond though

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the process for getting those 360 backward compatibility games running when you get that gamer tag not connecting error to Xbl? Trying to scratch that MGS2 itch tonight.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So what's the process for getting those 360 backward compatibility games running when you get that gamer tag not connecting error to Xbl? Trying to scratch that MGS2 itch tonight.

There are many options, but personally I haven't find a proper solution for me. I only need try download the profile on a friend/family house which have Xbox One and they can download without problem, but I'm not going to do that with the pandemy right now.

We have Xbox people who read this thread? I really want get 360 games, but I'm not the only one with this problem.

Oct 27, 2017
Has this happened to anyone? I was playing Guacamelee 2 yesterday (great game, btw), and out of the blue, I heard this loud buzzing sound that lasted for a few seconds (sound didn't come from the console - it came from the game), and I was then immediately taken back to the home screen/dashboard. It was a bit jarring/alarming, since it was pretty loud and unpleasant. I've had a few crashes here and there (a few times) where a game would just crash and I would be taken back to the home screen but nothing like this, where it made this buzzing sound. I really hope this isn't a sign that the console is dying...

B-Man

Oct 27, 2017
So my TV only supports 60 fps for 4K, but it does support 120fps@1440. It supports FreeSync.
Should i adjust my XBox to display 4k@60 or 1440@120? Are there enough games running at 120 to drop the resolution?
In other words, How often does the XBox hit the 120 fps mark with games? and how can I check if this specific game I'm playing now is rendered at 1440@120fps and not 1440@60fps?

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
Has this happened to anyone? I was playing Guacamelee 2 yesterday (great game, btw), and out of the blue, I heard this loud buzzing sound that lasted for a few seconds (sound didn't come from the console - it came from the game), and I was then immediately taken back to the home screen/dashboard. It was a bit jarring/alarming, since it was pretty loud and unpleasant. I've had a few crashes here and there (a few times) where a game would just crash and I would be taken back to the home screen but nothing like this, where it made this buzzing sound. I really hope this isn't a sign that the console is dying...
I think that I had that happen with a game or two but it was a one time ocasion for me, no issues with my Xbox. My PC does the same thing when it's about to give up and hardlock, atleast the Xbox chucks you back to the dash!

Oct 27, 2017
I think that I had that happen with a game or two but it was a one time ocasion for me, no issues with my Xbox. My PC does the same thing when it's about to give up and hardlock, atleast the Xbox chucks you back to the dash!

Good to hear no issues with your Xbox. Yeah, I've had my Xbox for 3 months now and that buzzing sound/crash to dashboard was the first time that's ever happened. Hopefully, it was just a crash and an actual bug in the game and not an issue with the console itself. Anyhow, I just beat Guacamelee 2 a few minutes ago. What an absolutely fabulous game! For me, it's one of the standout games on Game Pass. If anyone likes platformers/brawlers, I highly recommend this game! Drinkbox Studios is definitely now on my list of developers to watch for in the future and I look very much forward to their next game - Nobody Saves the World!

AfterTheFall

Oct 27, 2017
At my parents and they have a 1080p LG TV which supports Active HDR. The Active HDR works with on my PS5, but not my Xbox Series X. Anyone know the answer to this?

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
I'm a recent Xbox owner. I jumped in on the intro game pass offer which is due to expire on 7th September.

I'm in the UK and wondering what's the cheapest way to top up?
I thought there was some Xbox Gold Live to GP conversion, is that still a thing?

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I'm a recent Xbox owner. I jumped in on the intro game pass offer which is due to expire on 7th September.

I thought there was some Xbox Gold Live to GP conversion, is that still a thing?

You can top up 3 years of Xbox live gold and get GPU for £1

If you get a £1 trial now, you can do the above but it won't be £1 for GPU it'll be £11.

If you want to get the full 3 years of GPU don't take the "1 month extra offer" when redeeming the codes as this will take you over the 36 month limit.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

I did that the other day, 3 years GPU for about £75

Get the 3 years turkey XBL, redeem them with a VPN then buy a 7 day GPU code from eneba and redeem that, it'll convert to 3 years GPU

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
So my TV only supports 60 fps for 4K, but it does support 120fps@1440. It supports FreeSync.
Should i adjust my XBox to display 4k@60 or 1440@120? Are there enough games running at 120 to drop the resolution?
In other words, How often does the XBox hit the 120 fps mark with games? and how can I check if this specific game I'm playing now is rendered at 1440@120fps and not 1440@60fps?

I'd say leave at 4K@60Hz unless you specifically want to play a 120fps mode in a particular game.

Many games do reach a locked 120fps (Doom Eternal for instance), but most of the games you'll be playing will target 60 or less. Not worth the drop in resolution all the time, because if you set your Xbox to 120Hz, it'll always run in 120Hz mode regardless of what you're doing with it.

For example, I'm currently playing Doom Eternal on the 120fps mode on my Series S, which is great because it greatly reduces input lag. My TV does support 4K@120Hz, but there's a bit of a hit to visual quality, specifically because local dimming runs at a lower setting when it detects a 2160p@120Hz input, negatively affecting contrast. So I have to manually go to settings to set it back to 60Hz if I want to play something else and not have the local dimming impacted.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
It's a hassle (especially as the PS5 figures that out on its own comparatively), but I'm in a similar situation and I'm adjusting the system's settings based on the game I'm currently playing. 120fps game are quite rare, but any that target 120 (even with drops) would greatly benefit from the option as you have VRR. Most esports-oriented title can be played at 120 (Warzone, Rocket League, Overwatch, Halo MCC, Rogue Company...) and that's a game changer really.

And regarding knowing the framerates a game can be played at, it's a mixture of options in the game itself and google searches. Some games are really explicit about it (Doom Eternal for example), others not so much.