• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
MS had to remove the store functionality from the app, in order to allow streaming functionality on Apple platforms -> If you could both buy and play games through the app, MS would find themselves in an Epic-situation.
It's so dumb because I can browse the PS store on the PS app. I can also buy games, so either MS doesn't want to bother adding it back in, Sony and Apple have a deal going on, or Sony is giving Apple 30% (unlikely)

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
It's so dumb because I can browse the PS store on the PS app. I can also buy games, so either MS doesn't want to bother adding it back in, Sony and Apple have a deal going on, or Sony is giving Apple 30% (unlikely)
But l think you missed the point of the situation. I can't remote play/stream my games from the PS App, I have to go within an entirely different app to remote play.

MS decided to streamline the Xbox app and bake remote play within it, on top of allowing remote downloads of any game purchased or not, etc. That's why purchasing power was removed to obey apples store rules.

MS would need to create a separate remote play app, in order to bring back the purchase/browse feature of the Xbox app(which would align it back with the PS app in your example). I personally think they found a healthy balance by allowing people to download any game from the store remotely even if you don't own it, and you can pay for the license later on your console or through the browser.

Apple won't allow any of them to make purchases through their individual stores, then turn around and play that purchased game through the same app.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
I've got a PS5 and I'm about to jump the gun and get a series S so I can play Flight Sim and Forza titles and well, just enjoy Gamepass in general for games I don't care about owing.

I'm just concerned games might be too underperforming. If there's anybody here to ease my mind, I'd appreciate it.

OscarK

Developer at Xbox
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Man, now that I have a standard 1TB HDD and a SATA 1TB SSD (with an USB enclosure) connected to the small Series S, I really feel the need to have a "Group by storage location" option in My Games and Apps. Also, an easier way to find which Series S/X optimized games can be played from external drives would be welcome; sometimes the reverse pointing arrows symbol appears on games that were compiled XDK and with "Gen 9 Aware" optimizations, where they only add to the confusion. It feels like I live in the manage game screen now, between file info and the compatibility settings 😅 Cueing OscarK to check out this feedback 😉

I've been aware of a non-deterministic bug where "Gen9Aware" XDK titles can sometimes be shown with the "<- ->" badge incorrectly, but haven't been able to fully diagnose yet. If you see it again, please file a bug; preferably shortly after turning the console on and whilst on the Games page in My Games & Apps. If you are not in the Preview program, then you can download the "Xbox Report a Problem" app from the Store.

I and the team have been thinking about improving the sorting and filtering in My Games & Apps as whilst it's already pretty decent, we think there is more that we can do. I would love to better understand why the current (temporary) filter to a storage drive is not quite sufficient; what does a (persistent) sort provide instead? Always looking for feedback and to better understand our user's needs and wants :)

GWX

Oct 25, 2017
I've been aware of a non-deterministic bug where "Gen9Aware" XDK titles can sometimes be shown with the "<- ->" badge incorrectly, but haven't been able to fully diagnose yet. If you see it again, please file a bug; preferably shortly after turning the console on and whilst on the Games page in My Games & Apps. If you are not in the Preview program, then you can download the "Xbox Report a Problem" app from the Store.

I and the team have been thinking about improving the sorting and filtering in My Games & Apps as whilst it's already pretty decent, we think there is more that we can do. I would love to better understand why the current (temporary) filter to a storage drive is not quite sufficient; what does a (persistent) sort provide instead? Always looking for feedback and to better understand our user's needs and wants :)
About the Gen9Aware arrow symbols bug, I'll gladly report the bug; didn't know you could this way!

Regarding the "grouping by storage location" suggestion, I'd like to have a bird's eye view of all my content taking the storage locations into consideration: since I'll most likely have different experiences with each one, it would be nice to have different expectations while looking at the library itself; in my case, it would be like this:
  1. Internal storage: filled with optimized games, fastest loading, requires storage management more often;
  2. External SSD: larger storage capacity, fast loading, great for big Xbox One games and "XboxOneGen9Aware" optimized titles;
  3. External HDD: large storage capacity, slow loading, good enough for smaller/simpler Xbox One games, plus Xbox 360 and Xbox games, and also cold storage for optimized titles that won't fit the internal SSD at the moment.
The current filtering option is good, but since it hides everything else, I can't have this bird's eye view I mentioned.

Last edited:

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
But l think you missed the point of the situation. I can't remote play/stream my games from the PS App, I have to go within an entirely different app to remote play.

MS decided to streamline the Xbox app and bake remote play within it, on top of allowing remote downloads of any game purchased or not, etc. That's why purchasing power was removed to obey apples store rules.

MS would need to create a separate remote play app, in order to bring back the purchase/browse feature of the Xbox app(which would align it back with the PS app in your example). I personally think they found a healthy balance by allowing people to download any game from the store remotely even if you don't own it, and you can pay for the license later on your console or through the browser.

Apple won't allow any of them to make purchases through their individual stores, then turn around and play that purchased game through the same app.
I know why MS did it, and I know what apple's restrictions are. It's still stupid though lol

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
About the Gen9Aware arrow symbols bug, I'll gladly report the bug; didn't know you could this way!

Regarding the "grouping by storage location" suggestion, I'd like to have a bird's eye view of all my content taking the storage locations into consideration: since I'll most likely have different experiences with each one, it would be nice to have different expectations while looking at the library itself; in my case, it would be like this:
  1. Internal storage: filled with optimized games, fastest loading, requires storage management more often;
  2. External SSD: larger storage capacity, fast loading, great for big Xbox One games and "XboxOneGen9Aware" optimized titles;
  3. External HDD: large storage capacity, slow loading, good enough for smaller/simpler Xbox One games, plus Xbox 360 and Xbox games, and also cold storage for optimized titles that won't fit the internal SSD at the moment.
The current filtering option is good, but since it hides everything else, I can't have this bird's eye view I mentioned.
I'd like to do entirely without the external drives and use a NAS instead. Set up a system where you set a SMB network location for network transfer, all games that you install get copied there as well, and then a daemon deletes the least recently used software from internal storage when more space is needed to install.

A middle ground could be doing that with external hard drives, I guess.

I'm happy to run OG XBOX and 360 games off of an external hard drive, but XB1 and newer expect at least hard drive speeds and internal SSD is best for them.

Maybe set up a tiered system where you have:
Primary: Internal SSD and Internal SSD Expansion
Secondary: External SSD
Tertiary: External HDD
Quaternary: Network Storage
Quinary: Microsoft's Servers

Then be able to label games or game categories as having to be on one of the first three tiers to play, prefer downloads from Network Storage, or set up specific attached storage for long term, but not play off of. Like I'd probably set:

One or Series: Primary
OG or 360: Secondary
Cold Storage: Tertiary, Quaternary, or Quinary

And let the daemon care about clearing storage from Primary or Secondary when I want to install something new.

GWX

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to do entirely without the external drives and use a NAS instead. Set up a system where you set a SMB network location for network transfer, all games that you install get copied there as well, and then a daemon deletes the least recently used software from internal storage when more space is needed to install.

A middle ground could be doing that with external hard drives, I guess.

I'm happy to run OG XBOX and 360 games off of an external hard drive, but XB1 and newer expect at least hard drive speeds and internal SSD is best for them.

Maybe set up a tiered system where you have:
Primary: Internal SSD and Internal SSD Expansion
Secondary: External SSD
Tertiary: External HDD
Quaternary: Network Storage
Quinary: Microsoft's Servers

Then be able to label games or game categories as having to be on one of the first three tiers to play, prefer downloads from Network Storage, or set up specific attached storage for long term, but not play off of. Like I'd probably set:

One or Series: Primary
OG or 360: Secondary
Cold Storage: Tertiary, Quaternary, or Quinary

And let the daemon care about clearing storage from Primary or Secondary when I want to install something new.

...and that would be the dream scenario, OscarK :D

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
...and that would be the dream scenario, OscarK :D
Right. Given that the XSX and XBO both support external hard drives, I'm guessing that the files stored on hard drives are considered safe to be accessed by a curious user who knows that they can plug an external hard drive into their computer. I don't see how network storage would be any different from a security standpoint.

I suppose that the files may be encrypted on disk and require individual (per console) keys to be decrypted, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

GWX

Oct 25, 2017
Right. Given that the XSX and XBO both support external hard drives, I'm guessing that the files stored on hard drives are considered safe to be accessed by a curious user who knows that they can plug an external hard drive into their computer. I don't see how network storage would be any different from a security standpoint.

I suppose that the files may be encrypted on disk and require individual (per console) keys to be decrypted, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

You do have a point there! It would be awesome for MS to implement such a feature, and a revolution in the console space, even if few people would truly take advantage of it. Imagine having the whole Xbox Game Pass library ready to go over a NAS, with a sort of auto download enabled for every new XGP addition!

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

they are all encrypted. I think the persistent local storage (like the storage for in-game UGC downloads) use per-console keys but the games themselves (or rather their individual content keys) are encrypted with shared key locked away in the secure processor

at any rate, dev kits support installing from or even running games over network so it probably isn't a technical issue, just a policy/security one. I also don't think they'd want to burden their support team with all that

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
they are all encrypted. I think the persistent local storage (like the storage for in-game UGC downloads) use per-console keys but the games themselves (or rather their individual content keys) are encrypted with shared key locked away in the secure processor

at any rate, dev kits support installing from or even running games over network so it probably isn't a technical issue, just a policy/security one. I also don't think they'd want to burden their support team with all that
Huh. I had gotten the impression that they didn't, or had some way around it since when I upgraded from a XB1S to a XBSX that I was able to just plug in the old externals and the the games installed on them were detected.

You're right that it might be a support nightmare though. One way to do it would be to partner with Seagate or WD to support one of their products and put out a branded one. Would at least work well for multi-xbox households. From there 3rd party devices would probably work with minimal changes (like to their mDNS advertisements). When I was younger, I knew people in multiple roommate situations where everyone had a console or two. Dorms too.

Elija2

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone else have issues when using the wireless controller's headphone jack where the audio will occasionally cut out for a second? Does the audio connection become more stable when the controller is plugged into the console? I'm thinking of doing that anyway since using the headphone jack seems to drain the controller's battery a lot faster.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've got a PS5 and I'm about to jump the gun and get a series S so I can play Flight Sim and Forza titles and well, just enjoy Gamepass in general for games I don't care about owing.

I'm just concerned games might be too underperforming. If there's anybody here to ease my mind, I'd appreciate it.
Performance wise, the Series S has been great and held it's own really well. Framerates & such have been really solid for the most part.

As far as resolution/fidelity goes... It's not a Series X, but it does the job for casual gaming or as a secondary console. You can definitely tell pretty easily that games are rendering at lower resolutions/lower settings vs the Series X though,.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017

I have owned a series S as a secondary console to my PS5 before selling it and getting a series X. I didn't sell it because it was underperforming but because I was so impressed with the experience I had to get the series X. If you are OK with 900p to 1440p gaming it's a really good console. The console is really small and dead silent. Just get an external HDD or SSD and you are gucci . If you don't want to fork money for series X or it's difficult to get a hold of one , the series S is an affordable good alternative.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Performance wise, the Series S has been great and held it's own really well. Framerates & such have been really solid for the most part.

As far as resolution/fidelity goes... It's not a Series X, but it does the job for casual gaming or as a secondary console. You can definitely tell pretty easily that games are rendering at lower resolutions/lower settings vs the Series X though,.

I have owned a series S as a secondary console to my PS5 before selling it and getting a series X. I didn't sell it because it was underperforming but because I was so impressed with the experience I had to get the series X. If you are OK with 900p to 1440p gaming it's a really good console. The console is really small and dead silent. Just get an external HDD or SSD and you are gucci . If you don't want to fork money for series X or it's difficult to get a hold of one , the series S is an affordable good alternative.

Appreciate the reply! I definitely can't afford series X nor is it in stock in my country right now, so yeah.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Guys... I need help because I am about to go crazy...

I rented the Modern Warfare Disc version for XB1 at my local library because I want to play the campaign on my Series X. I have no interest in Warzone or the MP.

I got home and put the Disc in my console. It automatically prompted the install of the base game (with a Cold War/Warzone icon...) and a bunch of packs for Campaign and Multiplayer. I kept the two Campaign Packs but canceled the download of the Multiplayer Packs and Spec-Ops packs since I have no plan in playing those modes.

3+ hours later the install was finally done (holy shit...) so I finally booted the game. After having to go through the mandatory Activision account sign-in (again, no interest in Multiplayer but whatever) I got a pop-up telling me that there was even more packs for me to download... So I go in the "Game Installs" section of the Options menu and "Get" on the store page and then install the "Campaign Pack" and the "Campaign/Special Ops Compatibility Pack" from that menu. I also queue up all 5 HD Texture packs because they don't say if those are actually for the SP or MP portion of the game so I get them just in case.

Back a few hours laters, I restart the game and now I am prompted with a menu giving me 3 options...

Cold War with a Purchase button
Warzone with a Play button
Modern Warfare with a Purchase button

Reminder, I have the actual Modern Warfare disc IN MY CONSOLE DISC DRIVE....

What the fuck is this giant clusterfuck of a shitshow!?

I just want to play the stupid campaign.

Arrghhhhhhhhhh

Sorry but I just spent my whole evening trying to launch a stupid single player campaign from a disc and I still haven't been able to...

Anybody knows how to fix this?

Thanks

Edit: Following this handy and totally not completely batshit insane explanation diagram, I was able to conclude that the Multiplayer Pack is actually mandatory to play the campaign because... of course...why not.... And now the Campaign is available.... Wow...

Yup8Y2X.jpg

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Game Pass has made the expansion card ever more tempting lately. It's been a while since I've felt like I had more to download than storage on my console but I've been getting decent mileage out of Game Pass this year. Not necessarily with just new games that come to the service but I've been finally diving into some of the older titles there as well.

That said, it's also generally kind of a meandering year for me. I think RE Village might be the only title all year long that I've stuck to from start to finish without getting distracted or interrupted by any other game.

Oct 25, 2017
My sound intermittently crackles, pauses, or drops out on the Series X. I am mainly using my Sennheiser 598 HDs plugged into the controller, but occasionally just output sound via soundbar as well.

What's the fix? Audio is set to stereo uncompressed in settings.

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
What's the unit like? Mine is behind my TV.

It's wider than my 49 inch TV but I have the TV pushed back to the wall, a Sonos soundbar in front of the TV and then there's about 15CM to the edge of the unit, I then have two small DVD storage compartments either side of the unit and in the middle there's two shelving compartments, one for the Sky box and one for the Nvidia Shield.

The Xbox will not fit vertical or horizontal in the shelving bit plus they are already in use, getting a new unit is out of the question as it matches some of our other furniture in the room.

I may have to bring the TV and soundbar forward and put the Xbox behind the TV.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking about what kind of revisions can have the Xbox Series X and beside be smaller (I would love a cube design lol) I think it would be nice if include M.2 SSD support. I think the actual expansion card is cute and very useful if you have multiple consoles in your house, but right now is still too expensive.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I have come SO close to pulling the trigger on a Series S just for the upstairs living room. I have our Series X already in the game room downstairs and I am all in on Microsoft's approach this generation, they are really killing it.

Maybe when theres a price reduction in a year or so.

Lengusta

Banned
May 23, 2021
Whats everyone doing for external storage for their series X? My 4TB external died yesterday and I'm debating weather to get the expansion card or just another HDD.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Whats everyone doing for external storage for their series X? My 4TB external died yesterday and I'm debating weather to get the expansion card or just another HDD.
i took an old 2 TB HDD out of my previous PC build and put it in an enclosure. I just use it as cold storage mostly. I'm tempted to ditch it and get the expansion using some MS Rewards but prob not until a while.. I have unlimited data and fast internet now so it's less necessary.

Lengusta

Banned
May 23, 2021
I have the expansion card. I could've sworn I saw a sale for it the other day if you want to buy it.

Yeah I think it's currently has a discount at the moment.

i took an old 2 TB HDD out of my previous PC build and put it in an enclosure. I just use it as cold storage mostly. I'm tempted to ditch it and get the expansion using some MS Rewards but prob not until a while.. I have unlimited data and fast internet now so it's less necessary.

This is another thing that is making you lean towards the expansion card is using my Microsoft points

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else is having delayed Achievement notifications issues on their Series X?

It started a few days away for me.

I'm playing The Ascent right now and when I unlock an achievement, I get the notification on my PC instantly but then it takes a minute or two before it shows up on my console.

Not a big deal obviously it it's odd.

Oct 29, 2017

Had one since day one, with 2 years of Game Pass, to hold me over, until a new PS5 model comes a long. Haven't had any performance issues, and the console is dead silent, and super small. Really impressed with it over all. It's a perfect Game Pass machine, if you can live with the lower resolution.

Oct 29, 2017
Sorry, didn't see your response.

I'm not very familiar with the PS app. Can you also stream games through the PS app? If so, then that's pretty confusing.

MS have stated that Apple dosen't allow apps where users can both browse, purchase and play games, on their platforms.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Might be late to the party but I saw Jez tweet that chivalry 2 is 60 fps on series S. Looks like the patch came in ten days ago.

chivalry2.com

Chivalry 2 Update - Patch 2.0.1 - Chivalry 2

Raise arms Knights, as the first patch for Chivalry 2 is here! We’re happy to announce that our first update, […]
On June 1 I added it to the Xbox Enhanced OP with a listing of 60fps. However, I will often add entries when the information becomes available, not necessarily when the title is released. So, it's good to have confirmation that, for whatever reason, the game is now truly running at 60fps!

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
In case you haven't done it yet, register your console to get the warranty set up. Especially for controllers. Stick drift is definitely a thing on these new models and I've just received my carbon black replacement via UPS after only a week.