• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
So if I'm watching something on the SX and I flip the channel to something else briefly, when I come back to the SX it's always stopped playing. Amazon Prime tv for instance displays a HDMI error, and I have to resume. This just me or normal?

Oct 26, 2017
London
I'm sorry to bring this up again but my Series X has been having a hell of a time jiving with my LG CX. Several times per session it just cuts to static randomly (reconnecting HDMI usually fixes it). Now it's also engaged in some strange behavior where sometimes when booting the console it'll be stuck in 640x480p as the only resolution available -- this has happened twice now, and replugging the hdmi cleared it up each time.

Is there any known fix to this stuff? It's impacting my ability to use the system.

I have the same issue and it seems to be related to having VRR and 120hz selected. Seeing that both of them are pretty damn essential I have learned to live with it. Restarting the console from your controller also clears up the issue if you get tired of getting up and taking out the cable.

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry to bring this up again but my Series X has been having a hell of a time jiving with my LG CX. Several times per session it just cuts to static randomly (reconnecting HDMI usually fixes it). Now it's also engaged in some strange behavior where sometimes when booting the console it'll be stuck in 640x480p as the only resolution available -- this has happened twice now, and replugging the hdmi cleared it up each time.

Is there any known fix to this stuff? It's impacting my ability to use the system.

I simply reboot the console. Every once in a while that doesn't fix it so I do a full shutdown and that does it. I've never pulled any kind of cable because of it.

I have the same issue and it seems to be related to having VRR and 120hz selected. Seeing that both of them are pretty damn essential I have learned to live with it. Restarting the console from your controller also clears up the issue if you get tired of getting up and taking out the cable.

The only reason I know it's not is because this has also happened to my KS8000, which supports neither of those features. It does indeed also happen on my C1 with those settings. Both consoles are in the alpha insider program so I thought it was that, but it seems like that also isn't it.

Deleted member 95442

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2021
Just an idle curiosity, any idea if Microsoft will ever allow Windows to be put on XBox? I didn't consider before as they are selling at a loss, but with MS now all in on the GamePass maybe they will be fine with it?

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
Just bought a Series S to use mainly as a 360/Xbox back-compat machine and to play the occasional current gen exclusive

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Just an idle curiosity, any idea if Microsoft will ever allow Windows to be put on XBox? I didn't consider before as they are selling at a loss, but with MS now all in on the GamePass maybe they will be fine with it?

I think that's the sort of thing that might piss off their OEM partners, though.

Like, they have Surface hardware, but for the most part that's basically Apple-targeting premium hardware that sells in relatively low volumes. A $300-500 gaming PC that Microsoft doesn't have to make money on is the sort of thing that OEMs might feel differently about.

It could also potentially get them in regulatory trouble, since those OEMs could (quite rightly) accuse them of dumping. Microsoft has been very careful to avoid things that could get them in trouble with regulators since their early-2000s brush with antitrust courts.

I think they'll keep Xbox its own thing.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure whether it belongs here or the ps5 thread but every time I turn my series X off my ps5 turns on. I've had a play around with the menus a bit but I can't figure out what's causing this. Any ideas?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure whether it belongs here or the ps5 thread but every time I turn my series X off my ps5 turns on. I've had a play around with the menus a bit but I can't figure out what's causing this. Any ideas?
Do you have the TV to be turned on by the console?

Maybe since the TV is on, it turns on the PS5?

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
Really happy with my Series S so far but having to change the batteries is becoming annoying. Are there any WHITE battery packs for the Series S controller? All I can find is black ones and I don't believe the battery packs for the old Xbox One controllers work for this one.

Artistic

Jan 3, 2018
Really happy with my Series S so far but having to change the batteries is becoming annoying. Are there any WHITE battery packs for the Series S controller? All I can find is black ones and I don't believe the battery packs for the old Xbox One controllers work for this one.
I don't believe they make them in white, but the battery packs from the Play and Charge Kits from the Xbox One gen definitely work on the Series S/X controllers.

That's what I'm using currently myself.

Deleted member 95442

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2021
I think that's the sort of thing that might piss off their OEM partners, though.

Like, they have Surface hardware, but for the most part that's basically Apple-targeting premium hardware that sells in relatively low volumes. A $300-500 gaming PC that Microsoft doesn't have to make money on is the sort of thing that OEMs might feel differently about.

It could also potentially get them in regulatory trouble, since those OEMs could (quite rightly) accuse them of dumping. Microsoft has been very careful to avoid things that could get them in trouble with regulators since their early-2000s brush with antitrust courts.

I think they'll keep Xbox its own thing.

That seems a compelling argument, thanks!

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Any word on when the next firmware update is? Any specific features being tested in insider builds atm?

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone else been having issues when queueing a game to install. I just got my XSS last week and whenever I queue a new game to install it tries to install every game I have ever queued. Most games are still installed so it's not a big deal for those ones, but anything I've deleted tries to install again.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
The Windows Store deservedly gets a lot of negative press, but I do like how universal apps have made the Xbox capable of so much more than games consoles usually are.

I already use my Series X to listen to podcasts while I'm playing games (using Grover Pro), and now I found out today that if you have an Android phone, you can get your phone notifications to pop on your Xbox using Join. You do need to buy the Windows Store app (it works on Xbox), but it's like $2.

It's a bit of work to set up initially, but it mostly seems to work well so far!

You can even reply to messages if you don't have your phone for whatever reason, but this was buggy when I tested it by messaging myself - I got four replies instead of one lol. Still, for the main purpose I wanted it (notifications) it works.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else is getting ridiculously long upload times for screenshots to OneDrive? I am trying to upload a single screenshot to OneDrive that I have taken on my Series X and the upload progress bar has been going for a good 3-4 minutes now and it's only at 31%...

Everything else network wise (it's using a wired connection) is working fine on the console...

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Anybody else is getting ridiculously long upload times for screenshots to OneDrive? I am trying to upload a single screenshot to OneDrive that I have taken on my Series X and the upload progress bar has been going for a good 3-4 minutes now and it's only at 31%...

Everything else network wise (it's using a wired connection) is working fine on the console...
Uploads/downloads are painfully slow if you're playing a game or have some suspended.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Wait... You can't open the Xbox Store on your Xbox while you're accessing it via Remote Play? The fuck

Edit: Ah I guess it's one of those restrictions to not have to give a cut to Google or Apple... That's dumb

Last edited:

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
Just joined the series s club with an ultimate sub till early 24,so excited for the future:).First impressions,the form factor is just amazing,like how they managed to pull that shit the press/videos is honestly underselling it.Second i have the problem of the slow internet connection,wanted to play gears 5 but 50 gb upgrade so i have to wait till tomorrow.I have a 1tb external drive so i think i can manage fine about storage in the near future.If any member wants to add me my gamertag is the same as my name here.

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
Are achievements known to be buggy? I've had 2 games now, that I know of at least, where achievements aren't unlocking for me. The first one was Ori and the Blind Forest, and now Marvels Avengers. Some achievements do unlock, but in both games there's achievements tied to the story and I'm way beyond those points in the game (I beat Ori) but certain achievements just don't unlock. Is there anything to even do about this? I contacted Xbox support and they weren't much help.

Its not the biggest deal in the world. I got pretty hooked on trophies on PS4 so jumping back into Xbox with my Series X, figured the same would happen with achievements. But these glitched ones kind of took the wind out of my sail as far as the fun of going for them, if you never know if they're going to work or not lol.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
The series X looked dull in pictures. But after having it for a couple of weeks it's really beautifully designed, and is much smaller than expected when you see it in person. I am using in the vertical position and it looks incredible. I don't who uses it horizontally because that looked atrocious when I tried.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Wait... You can't open the Xbox Store on your Xbox while you're accessing it via Remote Play? The fuck

Edit: Ah I guess it's one of those restrictions to not have to give a cut to Google or Apple... That's dumb
You should be able to access the store via your phone (web browser) and install games remotely either through the browser or the xbox app if its set up properly (though it can be finnicky).

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I think I It new eneloop. Using since 2013 and either them or my charger needs replacing. I'll charge them over night and pop into controller. But they seem to top out at not 100%. And then when they are low, they will suddenly die, which is especially odd when the Xbox doesn't realize the controller is off.

I have some white Sanyo branded charger with white eneloop batteries. What's the best kind, black white? I think the branding also changes.

Didn't ikea used to hand some good points too, or Amazon. In a pinch I had some Duracell Aa and they lasted like 3 or 4 days. I seem to discharge them so fast.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I think I It new eneloop. Using since 2013 and either them or my charger needs replacing. I'll charge them over night and pop into controller. But they seem to top out at not 100%. And then when they are low, they will suddenly die, which is especially odd when the Xbox doesn't realize the controller is off.

I have some white Sanyo branded charger with white eneloop batteries. What's the best kind, black white? I think the branding also changes.
the black eneloops are higher capacity but less charge cycles for its lifetime, but the capacity v lifecycle may basically even out compared to the white standard ones if you know what I mean. Either one should do you fine.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
The series X looked dull in pictures. But after having it for a couple of weeks it's really beautifully designed, and is much smaller than expected when you see it in person. I am using in the vertical position and it looks incredible. I don't who uses it horizontally because that looked atrocious when I tried.
My Xbox Series X lays horizontally, underneath my TV in the TV stand. In my configuration, placing the Series X vertically would require me to place it on top of either of my 2 subwoofers flanking the TV stand. When doing so, I find the glowing Xbox light on the console to be far too distracting, as it winds up being in my peripheral vision. Underneath the TV seems to not have the same negative effect.

But, I assure you, I wish I could place it vertically; as you said, it's very appealing in its upright position.

Didn't ikea used to hand some good points too, or Amazon. In a pinch I had some Duracell Aa and they lasted like 3 or 4 days. I seem to discharge them so fast.
Last time I was in IKEA, which was about a month and a half ago, they were completely sold out of the IKEA Eneloops in every place where they should be stocked.
the black eneloops are higher capacity but less charge cycles for its lifetime, but the capacity v lifecycle may basically even out compared to the white standard ones if you know what I mean. Either one should do you fine.
On Amazon there's quite the price difference between the white and black Eneloops. And, as I understand it, the white Eneloops wind up being the better solution for the use-case of powering a controller.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

Regular Eneloops are fine, and will last longer.

plastic love

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 19, 2019
I'm trying to get Remote Play to work on my Series S before I leave for a week, and it only connects when the Xbox is turned on. I don't have it on energy-saving mode so it should turn it on but no luck yet, what am I doing wrong?

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
I'm trying to get Remote Play to work on my Series S before I leave for a week, and it only connects when the Xbox is turned on. I don't have it on energy-saving mode so it should turn it on but no luck yet, what am I doing wrong?

You're able to get remote play to work with Series consoles? I thought that was still being tested in a separate dedicated desktop app for cloud streaming and remote streaming?

GWX

Oct 25, 2017
Man, now that I have a standard 1TB HDD and a SATA 1TB SSD (with an USB enclosure) connected to the small Series S, I really feel the need to have a "Group by storage location" option in My Games and Apps. Also, an easier way to find which Series S/X optimized games can be played from external drives would be welcome; sometimes the reverse pointing arrows symbol appears on games that were compiled XDK and with "Gen 9 Aware" optimizations, where they only add to the confusion. It feels like I live in the manage game screen now, between file info and the compatibility settings 😅 Cueing OscarK to check out this feedback 😉

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have my bedroom serie x in energy saving because it makes some noise even in instant on (very slight ) so I put in in energy saving. And for some times I can see that every time I turn it on, all the updates are automatically downloaded. Instead it's on my main xsx (instant on )that I need to manually check (and very often see a lot of update queued )

Last edited:

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Am I missing something? I can't find the store on the Xbox app. I can search for a game, I get a couple of lines that are recommended games, but I can't find a store front button.

Oct 29, 2017
Am I missing something? I can't find the store on the Xbox app. I can search for a game, I get a couple of lines that are recommended games, but I can't find a store front button.
MS had to remove the store functionality from the app, in order to allow streaming functionality on Apple platforms -> If you could both buy and play games through the app, MS would find themselves in an Epic-situation.