• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lengusta

Banned
May 23, 2021
Have you experienced any other issue with the game?

Just that so far, it can take around five try's before it loads. i had one other where i'm sure the controls changed 😕 i'm sure Y was the button to pick stuff up and X was to crouch but when i started playing yesterday it A to pick stuff up and B to crouch and i didn't change the controller settings, maybe its me.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Just that so far, it can take around five try's before it loads. i had one other where i'm sure the controls changed 😕 i'm sure Y was the button to pick stuff up and X was to crouch but when i started playing yesterday it A to pick stuff up and B to crouch and i didn't change the controller settings, maybe its me.
Can you report the issue using the "Xbox Report a Problem" app?

When it doesn't load, report it. The app gathers several things with the report.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Five try's before it loads? That's rather annoying, a bug like this would put me right off from the game.
I think your button preset changed automatically, not sure how how.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Is the output bandwidth different between the X and S? The X is 10-bit, but my Series S, with a certified HDMI 2.1 cable is reporting 8-bit. My thought is that maybe the S is 32gbps like PS5.

Image of my results (TV is an LG C1)

i.imgur.com

imgur.com

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Oct 25, 2017
Went to play greedfall on my series which I haven't touched in at least a week... crash, crash... needs an update. I figured these games would auto-update... thing has been plugged and all.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Is the output bandwidth different between the X and S? The X is 10-bit, but my Series S, with a certified HDMI 2.1 cable is reporting 8-bit. My thought is that maybe the S is 32gbps like PS5.

Image of my results (TV is an LG C1)

i.imgur.com

imgur.com

Imgur: The magic of the Internet
i believe they're the same. is your color space set to 8 bit on your Series S in the system settings?

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 4k TV and I know the dash is only 1080p but suddenly it looks as if all the icons are lower res than they used to be? I even see some jaggies on text now. Maybe Im imagining things I dont know. Did a hard reset and I still see it

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda figured my series would auto-update games while it's idle. Does it not do that? I am sitting on a greedfall update even though I downloaded the game a couple days ago... maybe a week? I haven't really touched it much lately.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I kinda figured my series would auto-update games while it's idle. Does it not do that? I am sitting on a greedfall update even though I downloaded the game a couple days ago... maybe a week? I haven't really touched it much lately.
Do you have that enabled to keep your games up to date and are in the instant on power mode? It should auto update, but I think it's on a scheduled basis ("pull") rather than when updates go live ("push").

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
May be a dumb question, but are using the same HDMI input when testing both consoles?

Different input, but I don't have a Series X to test the cable with, but do have a PS5. Maybe it's the cable, but then it wouldn't be reading 120hz/4K

The cable does state 48gbps. Maybe it's not?

Last edited:

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
I dont know if this the thread for it but is there an ultimate (wireless) headset that I can use both on XSX and PS5?

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
This might be a bit of a niche ask, but has anyone managed to get 120Hz and Dolby Atmos working at the same time? Trying to play Doom Eternal and the Series X simply will not allow both together, which seems a pretty big oversight to me. Uncompressed 7.1 is fine with 120Hz so it would seem not to be a bandwidth issue. I'm flummoxed.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Has there been any definite research done into how much energy the series x is using in instant on mode? I know MS improved efficiency in a dash update but the internet doesn't seem to agree on how much juice it requires.

Sure, I had the same question as I just got an XSX and so I measured it. In instant-on mode it's just under 9W. That's not too bad, if you find instant-on mode worth it. It's around 0.2 kWh/day, or 6 kWh/month, which we could crudely estimate at $0.60/month. It's similar to using your dryer about once a day, or your A/V receiver for 3 hours a day. (Or the same amount of power an A/V receiver in standby mode may use.)

So far I've just been keeping it In Eco mode, where it uses nearly 0W. But compared to my TV in fast start mode (35W!) or modern cable boxes in standby (25W!), instant-on is not too bad. I am a power miser though and put my TV in Eco mode and use a cable TV app instead of a box, so I'm unusual.

Anyway, if you want to do your own "research", just buy a Kill-A-Watt.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking of cancelling my Game Pass for a bit (I'll be back in a few months). I can still play free to play games and join party chat without Gold / Game Pass, right? From what I'm reading, they removed that restriction earlier in the year?

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How can I get my tv (LG CX) to detect HDR when playing a movie from a USB stick on the Series X? Any ideas? It seems to detect Dolby Atmos just fine but no luck with HDR/DV.

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
Last night I got into bed and had a thought. Could I sync my Xbox one controller to my $100 fire 10 hd tablet and play games through xbox.com/play with no issues? Yes I could. The future is now. Was really impressed. I've played on my hardwired pc, but doing the same on a cheap wireless tablet just hit me differently. Tried several games and had no issues. Good job MS!

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Sure, I had the same question as I just got an XSX and so I measured it. In instant-on mode it's just under 9W. That's not too bad, if you find instant-on mode worth it. It's around 0.2 kWh/day, or 6 kWh/month, which we could crudely estimate at $0.60/month. It's similar to using your dryer about once a day, or your A/V receiver for 3 hours a day. (Or the same amount of power an A/V receiver in standby mode may use.)

So far I've just been keeping it In Eco mode, where it uses nearly 0W. But compared to my TV in fast start mode (35W!) or modern cable boxes in standby (25W!), instant-on is not too bad. I am a power miser though and put my TV in Eco mode and use a cable TV app instead of a box, so I'm unusual.

Anyway, if you want to do your own "research", just buy a Kill-A-Watt.

No need to do my own research after this post. Many thanks.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Last night I got into bed and had a thought. Could I sync my Xbox one controller to my $100 fire 10 hd tablet and play games through xbox.com/play with no issues? Yes I could. The future is now. Was really impressed. I've played on my hardwired pc, but doing the same on a cheap wireless tablet just hit me differently. Tried several games and had no issues. Good job MS!
it's great isn't it? I just booted up GTA5 to do some game pass quests and it was pretty seamless. Autoaim helps a lot but it's totally playable.

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a cheap USB speaker on amazon thinking I could just plug it in and play and nope... these consoles are the opposite of convenient. Cannot use my bluetooth speaker either.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017

can I do this on a windows 10 PC then?

Wigdogger

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious if anyone else has had this hardware issue for Series X. Probably an overheating video card due to the heatsink coming loose or some lack of paste or something. I'm up in the PNW where it's been pretty damn hot recently. But I do have a portable AC, so I hope the console never got too hot.

I've sent the console in for service, but it was basically getting quite warm/hot near the north part of the tower (on the sides) -- playing something like Chivalry 2 -- and then the console would just shut off after an hour or so. If I turned it back on, it was a full boot up. If I tried to play something else soon after, it would often go off again. No overheat warning on reboot. It was fine to play stuff like Youtube or Netflix, but any gameplay would get the system too hot -- or so it seems. The other corroboration on the video card was that Chivalry 2, for example, would show some crazy artifacting and shimmering as it was playing. Not always, but it was getting much worse recently, it seemed.

Either way, I just got an unlucky console, I guess (from launch).

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Occasionally when playing my Series X into my LG CX, the screen will just instantly and randomly turn to snow. If it happens, it may snap out of it after 30 seconds or so, but I can instantly fix it by unplugging and replugging the hdmi cable.

I think it may be related to 120hz games, because the first time it ever happened was when I was playing a 120hz game -- but I'm not sure.

Is this likely a faulty HDMI cable, or could it be something worse?

Wigdogger

Oct 27, 2017
Occasionally when playing my Series X into my LG CX, the screen will just instantly and randomly turn to snow. If it happens, it may snap out of it after 30 seconds or so, but I can instantly fix it by unplugging and replugging the hdmi cable.

I think it may be related to 120hz games, because the first time it ever happened was when I was playing a 120hz game -- but I'm not sure.

Is this likely a faulty HDMI cable, or could it be something worse?

Nope. Totally a thing. I have an earlier LG OLED model, and mine does the exact same. Re-plug in the cable, etc. A friend had success with using HDMI port 2, but I still get it sometimes.

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
No need for 3 Xbox in the house.
Have a Series X, One X and fat One.

The One X makes a raffle sound that I can hear on idle, even heard it turned off in power saver. Imagine it's fan related. How easy to open and clear or possibly fix it?

It's been awhile since hearing it since I unplugged it. Cannot remember if it was constant or a galloping pace. I just remember it was louder in power saving turned off than Series X playing a game.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Netflix on Xbox Series X related question:

My internet cutout when watching a movie, and when it kicked back on no matter what I do, that movie is now super low res and blotchy (other shoes load fine).

I've reset my console, uninstalled the app, etc -- wtf do I need to do to get the show to buffer in HD?

Lengusta

Banned
May 23, 2021
Netflix on Xbox Series X related question:

My internet cutout when watching a movie, and when it kicked back on no matter what I do, that movie is now super low res and blotchy (other shoes load fine).

I've reset my console, uninstalled the app, etc -- wtf do I need to do to get the show to buffer in HD?

How do you know its not your internet?

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I asked before but no one answered me.
Is it still possible to buy an EA play 12 months voucher and have it converted to 4 months GPU if you are already a subscriber ? I already did it once when they first included it with GPU.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal