• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Just tried BFV on series X. Hot damn the game looks good. Cant wait to see 2042 on this machine

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I wondered about this. Is there much difference in functionality between the Series X and One X controllers?

Not really. There's basically 2 main Xbox One controller models:

m2im28z.png

The Series model is the same features as the bottom, but with smaller more ergonomic size, a new d-pad style, grips on the handles, triggers, and bumpers, a Share button, USB C, and lower latency (though this will be added as a software update to the older models eventually):

sVa7zfH.png

OscarK

Developer at Xbox
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I recently moved my Series S from my 1080p TV to my 4K tv and now I'm having an issue where when I try to boot up a game, the screen goes black and the only way out is to reset the console.

When I disable 4K in the XSS settings I can start the game no problem, but only in 1080.

Any idea what could be causing this and how to fix it? When I first hooked it up to the 4K it asked me about changing some setting and I said OK without paying much attention.

What is the make and model of the TV? Filing a bug would be most helpful as that will capture a bunch of logs including what the TV reports itself as capable of.

Other troubleshooting avenues would include - make sure it is plugged into a HDMI that supports 4K (some TVs have 1080 only HDMI ports), try disabling HDR in the Xbox settings, ensure that HDR is enabled for the HDMI port on the TV (various TVs have different methods to do this), try a different HDMI cable (the one that comes with the Xbox Series X|S is a ultra-high speed cable and should be used.

And please file a bug as that will enable us to debug.

There definitely seems to be an issue with recently upgraded X|S games, maybe OscarK will weigh in at some point but all you can do in meantime is report them using feedback tool. Xbox One/360 games built with the old XDK have to be tested and whitelisted (https://www.resetera.com/threads/xb...oward-the-temple-of-doom.380121/post-64134123)

The upgraded games are built against the GDK (as they take advantage of some features that are only in the GDK such as ray-tracing), however we had to introduce a min-version of GDK for Quick Resume to be automatically enabled (due to a couple of bugs discovered after the GDK shipped). I can double check, but these particular upgrades are using a GDK below that min-version so are disabled until we do some additional testing and enable them individually.

Apologies for the inconvenience, but there are people working on validating them. And as games get built with newer GDK versions, Quick Resume will automatically be enabled

Green

Oct 27, 2017
What is the make and model of the TV? Filing a bug would be most helpful as that will capture a bunch of logs including what the TV reports itself as capable of.

Other troubleshooting avenues would include - make sure it is plugged into a HDMI that supports 4K (some TVs have 1080 only HDMI ports), try disabling HDR in the Xbox settings, ensure that HDR is enabled for the HDMI port on the TV (various TVs have different methods to do this), try a different HDMI cable (the one that comes with the Xbox Series X|S is a ultra-high speed cable and should be used.

The upgraded games are built against the GDK (as they take advantage of some features that are only in the GDK such as ray-tracing), however we had to introduce a min-version of GDK for Quick Resume to be automatically enabled (due to a couple of bugs discovered after the GDK shipped). I can double check, but these particular upgrades are using a GDK below that min-version so are disabled until we do some additional testing and enable them individually.

Apologies for the inconvenience, but there are people working on validating them. And as games get built with newer GDK versions, Quick Resume will automatically be enabled

Hey I appreciate your chiming in. Looking forward to Quick Resume 'updates', then. It's not a huge inconvenience, but it's such a nice feature it stings a little bit when it gets disabled or is missing in new releases like Mass Effect Collection.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for replying! It's a 65" Sony x900h. I did try swapping the HDMI ports, but that didn't fix the issue. Also tried doing a full restart, full power down, unplug and replug, etc. I have not tried disabling HDR. The TV is HDR capable so I didn't think of that and would not want to lose HDR.

How would I file a bug?

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017

Great news!

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Thanks for replying! It's a 65" Sony x900h. I did try swapping the HDMI ports, but that didn't fix the issue. Also tried doing a full restart, full power down, unplug and replug, etc. I have not tried disabling HDR. The TV is HDR capable so I didn't think of that and would not want to lose HDR.

How would I file a bug?
Have you enabled the enhanced HDMI thing that's hidden in the ANdroid OS settings

OscarK

Developer at Xbox
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

How would I file a bug?

If you are not in the Preview program, you can just download the "Xbox Report a Problem" app from the Store and file it directly from that. If you private message me your gamertag, I can ensure the bug gets quickly triaged through to the right team too.

And to be clear, the issue is that when you launch a game, the screen goes black? What if you (invisibly) bring up the Guide and go back Home - does it bring back the picture or remain black? Does the TV show any status messages (eg HDR mode etc)?

Have you enabled the enhanced HDMI thing that's hidden in the ANdroid OS settings

Most TVs require you to enable HDR on each HDMI port in their TV settings menus; they all annoyingly call it different things which adds to the confusion.

May 13, 2018
I just found a FPS boost related bug in Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I didn't know where to report this, so I'll just post it here. Maybe somebody important will see this and look into it.

THIS IS THE SECTION WHERE I FOUND THE ISSUE. THE VIDEO STARTS AT THE CORRECT TIME

On the Series X the High Resolution mode gets bumped up to 60fps. When I played that section in High Resolution mode Lara kept falling off before I could reach the destination.

HERE'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I PLAY IN FPS BOOSTED RESOLUTION MODE:

I looked up multiple videos of people playing this section. Nobody fell off.

That was the second time that something like that happened during my playthrough of this game. There was another section where she jumps and is supposed to climb this collapsing tower while explosions happen under her, but when I jumped and grabbed the tower an explosion happened immediately and kept knocking me off.

Since I had experienced a weird issue before (which I was somehow able to get past after about 10-15 deaths) I figured maybe FPS boosted Resolution mode was possibly making certain things trigger too fast in the game. So I went to the normal 1080p performance mode and tried this climbing section. It worked just fine. So I closed the game, went into the game's settings and turned off FPS boost. I went back into the game, played the section in the normal (30fps) Resolution mode and it played just like the first video in this post. Turned FPS Boost back on, played in Resolution mode, and now Lara was falling as if the wall had crumbled but I was well ahead of the crumbling.

This is the only issue I've had with FPS Boost thus far.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Playing No Man's Sky at work via remote play caused me to pull the trigger on a Backbone. $100 at the Microsoft store and you get 3 months free of Game Pass Ultimate. It was the 3 free months the also sealed the deal. That's a $45 value.

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just found a FPS boost related bug in Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I didn't know where to report this, so I'll just post it here. Maybe somebody important will see this and look into it.

THIS IS THE SECTION WHERE I FOUND THE ISSUE. THE VIDEO STARTS AT THE CORRECT TIME

On the Series X the High Resolution mode gets bumped up to 60fps. When I played that section in High Resolution mode Lara kept falling off before I could reach the destination.

HERE'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I PLAY IN FPS BOOSTED RESOLUTION MODE:

I looked up multiple videos of people playing this section. Nobody fell off.

That was the second time that something like that happened during my playthrough of this game. There was another section where she jumps and is supposed to climb this collapsing tower while explosions happen under her, but when I jumped and grabbed the tower an explosion happened immediately and kept knocking me off.

Since I had experienced a weird issue before (which I was somehow able to get past after about 10-15 deaths) I figured maybe FPS boosted Resolution mode was possibly making certain things trigger too fast in the game. So I went to the normal 1080p performance mode and tried this climbing section. It worked just fine. So I closed the game, went into the game's settings and turned off FPS boost. I went back into the game, played the section in the normal (30fps) Resolution mode and it played just like the first video in this post. Turned FPS Boost back on, played in Resolution mode, and now Lara was falling as if the wall had crumbled but I was well ahead of the crumbling.

This is the only issue I've had with FPS Boost thus far.

I had the same issue in that spot with the 60fps boost mode but I was eventually able to get through it, I think I stayed on the top most of that section while spamming the x/a button and it eventually went through, had a similar bug at the climbing section on the oil rig.

May 13, 2018
I had the same issue in that spot with the 60fps boost mode but I was eventually able to get through it, I think I stayed on the top most of that section while spamming the x/a button and it eventually went through, had a similar bug at the climbing section on the oil rig.
I beat the games years ago so I was confused because I didn't remember struggling like that before lol

NiteChylde

Oct 28, 2017
If you are not in the Preview program, you can just download the "Xbox Report a Problem" app from the Store and file it directly from that. If you private message me your gamertag, I can ensure the bug gets quickly triaged through to the right team too.

And to be clear, the issue is that when you launch a game, the screen goes black? What if you (invisibly) bring up the Guide and go back Home - does it bring back the picture or remain black? Does the TV show any status messages (eg HDR mode etc)?

Most TVs require you to enable HDR on each HDMI port in their TV settings menus; they all annoyingly call it different things which adds to the confusion.

I have a similar problem with my Series S and an LG CX77 OLED.

When I launch certain games, Mass Effect LE for example, the screen goes black and the TV seems to switch between various modes / settings, always displaying an HDR symbol in the upper right corner. This happens every time I launch these games. I can blindly use the Guide menu to go back to the dashboard, everything goes back to normal then until I launch the game again.

The funny thing - and reason why I believe it's an Xbox and not an LG problem - is:

If I start Remote Play on my Android Xbox App when this happens, then switch to the dashboard and from there back into the game again, the problem is solved, at least until I turn off the console, and I can play the game just fine on the LG CX.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Just got my Series S and playing some games. I've plugged my headphones into the controller, but the audio is still coming out of the TV too - is there a way of stopping that? On PS5 it stops TV audio when doing the same, I assume its a setting somewhere? It's my first Xbox since 360, so lots of menus to learn! :)

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Just got my Series S and playing some games. I've plugged my headphones into the controller, but the audio is still coming out of the TV too - is there a way of stopping that? On PS5 it stops TV audio when doing the same, I assume its a setting somewhere? It's my first Xbox since 360, so lots of menus to learn! :)
Nope, it's pretty stupid lol

Hopefully they patch in an option to toggle auto muting at some point.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
It's a weird design choice or maybe some patent I am not aware of? Drove me crazy at first trying to find the setting that did not exist, took it for granted as being standard after the PS4

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
There's no such option on Xbox. This has been a pet peeve of mine ever since the One X.

I thought it was hardware deficiency, but the Series S | X are the same.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks everyone. I am sure they'll sort that in the future, will turn the TV down for now :)

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks everyone. I am sure they'll sort that in the future, will turn the TV down for now :)
Took me forever but you can fix this. You have to keep toggling through the different option on the Xbox audio settings. I wrote down the exact settings somewhere on my notes just too lazy to check right now. If I find my notes later today I'll shoot you a message.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, it's pretty stupid lol

Hopefully they patch in an option to toggle auto muting at some point.
It's a weird design choice or maybe some patent I am not aware of? Drove me crazy at first trying to find the setting that did not exist, took it for granted as being standard after the PS4
There's no such option on Xbox. This has been a pet peeve of mine ever since the One X.

I thought it was hardware deficiency, but the Series S | X are the same.

There is a way. I searched far and wide. It's convoluted as fuck though!

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Took me forever but you can fix this. You have to keep toggling through the different option on the Xbox audio settings. I wrote down the exact settings somewhere on my notes just too lazy to check right now. If I find my notes later today I'll shoot you a message.
You can change it for chat audio. Mot system/game audio though. Unless you're saying you've figured out a workaround?

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks.
That does work, I guess it means when you want it on TV you have to go into Settings again.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
3 games just randomly disappeared from my Quick Resume the other day. And I still have the issue where the controller doesn't work after switching between them.

Then last night, the last remaining game in the queue - REVIII - just closed after switching to it (again, unresponsive controller) and disappeared from Quick Resume.

I used to love this feature but it's been kind of a mess for me lately.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
3 games just randomly disappeared from my Quick Resume the other day. And I still have the issue where the controller doesn't work after switching between them.

Then last night, the last remaining game in the queue - REVIII - just closed after switching to it (again, unresponsive controller) and disappeared from Quick Resume.

I used to love this feature but it's been kind of a mess for me lately.

there is definitely something going on with quick resume lately.
games working fine before started acting up for me (example yakuza7, it restarts everytime, can anyone else check too?)

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone wants a digital PS5 and lives in the US I'll sell you mine for $500. I'll ship it today original box and all.it's it's whisper quiet.

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
I have received my Series S earlier today. The size of it really took me by surprise. It's so, so tiny and whisper quiet on top of that.

I will have a lot of fun with it on my 1080p monitor! Super happy with the purchase so far after trying out some games.

I am looking into cold storage options, I would appreciate any recommendations. :)

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
I have received my Series S earlier today. The size of it really took me by surprise. It's so, so tiny and whisper quiet on top of that.

I will have a lot of fun with it on my 1080p monitor! Super happy with the purchase so far after trying out some games.

I am looking into cold storage options, I would appreciate any recommendations. :)

I don't know about "cold storage" but I saw this thing not long ago and goddamn does it make me want a Series S. I'm going on a long flight soon and it would be so dope to just be able to have my entire Gamepass library with me on the flight, especially since I have a severe phobia of high open places. Klonopin + Xbox would go a long way to helping me on those flights.

Alas, I already have a Series X and would rather save that money for a TV that isn't 15 years old.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
The syncing of game saves have been off a little bit for me.

I played No Man's Sky on my Series X last night. Saved, then quit out of the game.

I started the Xcloud version on my phone and the save was a previous save. Then I rebooted the cloud version. Then a different save popped up. On my third attempt, my correct game save popped up.

Anyone else experience game saves not syncing up accurately?

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
A Plague Tale turns off and goes back to the dashboard automatically upon first boot. Every single time.

It works as intended the second time around, so I'm not sure what's causing this.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
My partner surprised me and got me a Xbox Series S yesterday, and I'm really happy so far :)
Looks cool, it's super small and absolutely quiet.
Coming from my insanely loud PS4 Pro, this is such a joy. Same goes for the dashboard, menus, loading times etc. Everything is just so fast and snappy! My PS4 Pro often needs ages for almost anything, like going into the store, checking your storage or settings etc.

Gamepass is crazy. Immediately downloaded 14 games that I want to play very soon. I'm a big Gears Of War fan and finally I will be able to enjoy Gears 4 and 5, at glorius 60fps!
I play on a 1080p TV and always prefer performance, so this is awesome to me. I plan to play and replay a lot of games there just for the 60fps boost.

This tiny lovely machine will keep me happy until I'm am able to buy a PS5 the normal way and when it's finally available everywhere.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I have some questions. So my GP Ultimate last until November 23 , can I still buy an EA play subscription and have it converted to 4 months of GP ?. I did it one time before when they first included it.
Second thing where can I find a trusted place to buy GPU vouchers. I used to buy from CDkeys but they have been out of stock for a while.