• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Finally found one of these yesterday. Sold out in about 3 minutes, but I managed to land one of them. Picked up today and bought Gamepass Ultimate for 3 months. Crazy how many games are on it.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone familiar with a method to turn the confirmation box when you leave Dev mode so that it defaults to NOT delete sideloaded apps rather than to delete them?

I feel like you should be able to add some syntax to the exported setting but there's not any language in there about this by default.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
As you can see, whenever I exit or enter a HDR app the screen goes black, sometimes flashing a green 'digital' thing for a split second, before showing the image a second or two later. This is very specifically happening only with HDR -> SDR transitions (and vice-versa); when I open and close an SDR game/app (e.g. GTAIV without Auto-HDR enabled) there is no delay at all. Similarly, going from the UI to games and back, a HDR -> HDR transition, on PS5 is instant. It's not a UI thing either, as going from Watch Dogs: Legion to GTA:IV (and vice-versa) does the same thing once the 'Quick Resume' screen ends.

This is completely normal, the TV has to quickly reconfigure itself to an SDR or HDR signal. It will happen from all sources.

The reason that the PS5 did NOT do this at launch (if that's your reference point) is because the PS5 forced ALL content, even SDR, to operate within a HDR container -- i.e. it would automatically tonemap even SDR content to HDR, so there was no momentary break in the image signal.

It's worth noting that the PS5 is still the only console on the market that runs its own UI in HDR by default, so when you boot up HDR games in it, it never has to change signal modes between since it's going from HDR to HDR.

The Xbox does not have an option to run its UI in HDR, so it has to go from its SDR UI to HDR signal every time you launch an HDR game (including auto-HDR ones). It does NOT have to switch signal modes to go from SDR to SDR, though, so it boots cleanly into SDR games.

In basic summary, it's normal for there to be a brief signal break as modes are swapped between SDR and HDR (in either direction) on any console. You will not see a break if it's going from SDR to SDR or HDR to HDR.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
And damn, that does kinda suck; so there's no real way to get rid of that black-screen transition between HDR and non-HDR content? It's definitely a 'first-world' problem, of course, but it's a bit of a hindrance to the near-instantaneousness of the rest of the console's experience.

The best you can get for transitions between Home and Games with an LG 2019+ OLED (@120Hz) on Xbox is to disable "Instant Game Response" on the TV. However, this will disable to VRR ability of the device, so you will get tearing in certain titles, and there will still be a short black-screen on the TV going from SDR->HDR, just less-so. Best case scenario Microsoft add an option to render the OS in an HDR container at the least. You'll just have to live with it for now, sadly. But it IS worth it, however ugly it looks...

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Best case scenario Microsoft add an option to render the OS in an HDR container at the least. You'll just have to live with it for now, sadly. But it IS worth it, however ugly it looks...
But the issue would still be there when going to SDR only games.
Maybe they could add an option to render the OS in the same mode as the running game., but using apps such as Rewards or YouTube would still force SDR.

The only way would be that TVs do the switch faster, or maybe keep the last image onscreen for 1 or 2 second if the signal is lost (ie switching to HDR or SDR), so that it would not flicker but just appear to switch color range.

My TV does that smoothly in its integrated apps as it's not an HDMI signal switching from SDR to HDR, the image just switches between modes in the built-in apps and it looks great.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
PS4, I'm assuming? Because on my PS5 the transition from game-to-UI is as instant as you'd expect it to be.

I just turned Instant Game Response off for the Series X's HDMI slot and the weird green flash turned off; but losing VRR isn't worth fixing that single issue.
Yeah, I'm still using a PS4 Pro. I'll pick up a PS5 as soon as I can find one in store.

VRR is a essential with some games on the Series X, glad MS supports it. I'm current playing Sekiro and it looks and feels like a locked 60fps game 99% of the time, even though it's dropping frames during regular enemy encounters.

I only tried on Ori and... same :/
Same, ah o well. It's kind of strange because I can see the difference between 60 and 120 on a smartphone, especially during navigation.
Makes sense what game were you playing? I think for an online shooter like COD it would make more sense. Or maybe a racing game.
Yeah, the closest thing I played to COD was Mirrors Edge. I tried ME, Ori and Mad Max.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
But the issue would still be there when going to SDR only games.
Maybe they could add an option to render the OS in the same mode as the running game., but using apps such as Rewards or YouTube would still force SDR.

The only way would be that TVs do the switch faster, or maybe keep the last image onscreen for 1 or 2 second if the signal is lost (ie switching to HDR or SDR), so that it would not flicker but just appear to switch color range.

My TV does that smoothly in its integrated apps as it's not an HDMI signal switching from SDR to HDR, the image just switches between modes in the built-in apps and it looks great.

True enough. I tend to avoid Xbox when using media apps, however. What TV do you have? I find the same is true on my LG B9 when using the built-in apps. I am just not a super fan of the overall speed of the processor for browsing smoothness on this TV - though it does have the best experience despite that for my specific use-case.

As for SDR games, hopefully that Auto-HDR container can be adapted further without applying any actual "HDR" function to SDR apps/games, again for smoothness on certain sets...

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
True enough. I tend to avoid Xbox when using media apps, however. What TV do you have? I find the same is true on my LG B9 when using the built-in apps. I am just not a super fan of the overall speed of the processor for browsing smoothness on this TV - though it does have the best experience despite that for my specific use-case.

As for SDR games, hopefully that Auto-HDR container can be adapted further without applying any actual "HDR" function to SDR apps/games, again for smoothness on certain sets...
I have a Philips 55OLED803, its processor is a bit slow too so I prefer using media apps on the Xbox. I plan to switch to Philips 55OLED806 when it releases as it will support HDMI 2.1 and 4K120, but I guess the media apps will still be faster on Xbox.

Drowner

Banned
May 20, 2019
Can someone help me? Whenever I start Dishonored 2 after turning on the console, the game says "active user has been changed, you will be redirected to the title screen". I have the console set to Instant-On mode, instant sign in, and I am not closing the game. This is only since I got the Xbox Series X yesterday. This wasn't happening on my Xbox One X.

edit: the chat person from the xbox website told me to do a system reset, where i intialize the console from the phone app. I did that and it has worked for now. i am worried though- I've only had the console for a day so I don't know why a reset to remove 'corrupted data' would be necessary so soon

Last edited:

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
One thing I've noticed is as I've gotten older (almost 30), those flashy COD and FPS titles don't excite me anymore. Destiny 2 looks great on my XSS but the gameplay doesn't pull me in anymore. War Zone? Gross. Apex Legends? Seems like too much work to learn a new system. The last FPS game that really caught my attention was Overwatch on my old roommates PS4; I ran Sigma and was pretty decent, actually.

But now I'm starting to really appreciate artwork and the beauty of games more so than their frame rate. BOTW is one game that comes to mind for me on this. From the little exposure I had to it, everything about it was enjoyable. Hell, I'm still content with playing BC 360 titles with little complaints. My biggest issue is not having the right genre to keep my interest. I've been playing MS1 BC and it's . . . okay. It's still my first ever play through so I'm trying to stick to it. Other than that, I'm waiting for RDR2 (again, first play through) to finish installing so I can get more of a "true" optimized experience on my XSS.
Same feeling here(Almost 30). I want new gameplay and graphics and a decent frame rate first. anywhere between 30-120 depending on the game. So story, visuals and gameplay are king for me. After that we can discuss 120 fps. But first person shooters don't excite me as much anymore as well. I've played the campaigns of the latest CODs and they're not too different in terms of gameplay from old games. Online first person play is also pretty boring or repetitive. I get no sense of achievement or purpose when playing those. So only game I play online are arcady games like MK 11. One game that really impressed me was New Colossus. It felt really fun to play and looked unbelievable despite having questionable level design. I tried RDR2 but its too slow and I think besides GTA or a superhero game, I just can't enjoy most open world games anymore.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Can someone help me? Whenever I start Dishonored 2 after turning on the console, the game says "active user has been changed, you will be redirected to the title screen". I have the console set to Instant-On mode, instant sign in, and I am not closing the game. This is only since I got the Xbox Series X yesterday. This wasn't happening on my Xbox One X.

edit: the chat person from the xbox website told me to do a system reset, where i intialize the console from the phone app. I did that and it has worked for now. i am worried though- I've only had the console for a day so I don't know why a reset to remove 'corrupted data' would be necessary so soon
Sounds like an quick-resume issue. Maybe start another game and see if that saves the new state?

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm wondering if this is an issue with my Xbox, the frame rate for Warzone does not feel 60fps. At first I thought maybe I'm too used to 144hz on my computer, but when I look up in the game the frame rate is smooth (playing on a 65" 60hz TCL, so it's not going from 60 to 120 or anything). So clearly the choppiness is indeed poor frame rate as I suspected I just don't know why. If my Series X is fucked up or some setting may be causing this? Running 4kHDR, game mode on the TCL. This is base multiplayer too, not even Warzone.

Edit: seems like it was a TV problem, turned on and off settings and played around with it, weird. Probably something bigger, have random issues with the TV software sometimes

Last edited:

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Same feeling here(Almost 30). I want new gameplay and graphics and a decent frame rate first. anywhere between 30-120 depending on the game. So story, visuals and gameplay are king for me. After that we can discuss 120 fps. But first person shooters don't excite me as much anymore as well. I've played the campaigns of the latest CODs and they're not too different in terms of gameplay from old games. Online first person play is also pretty boring or repetitive. I get no sense of achievement or purpose when playing those. So only game I play online are arcady games like MK 11. One game that really impressed me was New Colossus. It felt really fun to play and looked unbelievable despite having questionable level design. I tried RDR2 but its too slow and I think besides GTA or a superhero game, I just can't enjoy most open world games anymore.

one thing I like so much from MSFT is game pass. Granted I haven't actually gone through and purchased it yet, I need to stack one more year and do the $1 trick, the idea is astonishing. I think once I'm able to go through and pick and choice, kinda like the old days of going to the video store and renting a game for only a few nights, it'll be easier to find good titles to invest our time into.

I've rebought GTAV and plan on checking out the online again, but I'm starting at $0 so it'll take a while to level up. But that's fine, with GP you just download another game. However, I do wish I would've sprung for the Series X for the sake of storage and sometimes cheap discs. I plan on getting a 2-4TB external HDD mostly for BC titles and smaller indie titles, so hopefully that works out well.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Will probably start looking to get a series X in a month or so...are they just as hard to find as PS5's are at the moment?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Will probably start looking to get a series X in a month or so...are they just as hard to find as PS5's are at the moment?
Yes kinda. I think Costco may still have some bundles in stock right now but it's a bundle. There seems to be slightly more availability trickling in, especially through all access it seems. But overall still about as hard as a ps5

Oct 28, 2017
Dont know where to put this, but Im really enjoying the video playback that the Spotify app was updated with. Im only subbed to the Joe Rogan Experience at the moment and hope to find more video podcasts to listen to but just having a crisp playback of JRE (theyre also quick to upload the latest shows) accessible even without a sub is awesome. Also how it smoothly switches over to audio only when going into a game is really nice - a two-three hour JRE show just about covers an extended gaming session when I have the time for it. Perfect fit for my Gears and RDO habits, lol. Added another dimension to riding around doing quests in New Austin when Steve Adler (mayor of modern day Austin) visited the show last week.

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
anybody else go through and download all the random free games from the store? For example, the port of OG Xbox's Phantom Dust was free thanks to its remaster project cancellation but will i ever play it? probably not, but it is nice to add to my growing list of 100+ digital games

Oct 29, 2017

I had this happen when I got the console. A restart helped, and I haven't had it happen since. You shouldn't worry, if anything it a software thing, not your hardware specifically.

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I had a weight bug the other day. Started a new game on Fallout 4, jumped into the insider app, quick resumed into FO4 and it was stuck on a steam filled window. Might've been the alpha build I updated to, I think

Drowner

Banned
May 20, 2019
Sounds like an quick-resume issue. Maybe start another game and see if that saves the new state?

for whatever reason it wasn't happening with the other game I tried. it hasn't happened again since I did the reset. : D

someone else replied and said they had the same issue, and the reset fixed it, so I think it's all good now.

thanks.

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
Quick Resume continues to be a total crapshoot. I feel it has only gotten less reliable since launch.

Audio getting locked to specific suspended games or otherwise just not present, non-responsiveness to the controller that was used when suspended, seemingly random lost sessions.

It's my favorite feature, but every time it fails it makes me sour.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Series X's are a little bit easier to get. But a little bit easier means you get a few minutes more compared to PS5 before they are sold out. You can luck out if a big stock comes in. I remember there was one drop back in March or April here in Canada where it was in stock at all the major retailers for almost a day.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
So there was a power outage in my place today that lasted for like an hour. The Series X was switched off in Instant-On mode. I turned it back on after the power went back up, and it resumed as though no outage had occurred. Wow. Pleasant surprise.

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here tried Dying Light with the FPS Boost? with the current sale seems like a tempting offer.

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
What's the best way to clean series X without opening it, even my place isn't that dusty the back vents are accumulating dust

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
one thing I like so much from MSFT is game pass. Granted I haven't actually gone through and purchased it yet, I need to stack one more year and do the $1 trick, the idea is astonishing. I think once I'm able to go through and pick and choice, kinda like the old days of going to the video store and renting a game for only a few nights, it'll be easier to find good titles to invest our time into.

I've rebought GTAV and plan on checking out the online again, but I'm starting at $0 so it'll take a while to level up. But that's fine, with GP you just download another game. However, I do wish I would've sprung for the Series X for the sake of storage and sometimes cheap discs. I plan on getting a 2-4TB external HDD mostly for BC titles and smaller indie titles, so hopefully that works out well.
Yeah gamepass is great. I already got the subscription and I'm enjoying it. They definitely got some good deals on it. But I think its true value will come from when they're first party studios start really pushing out AAA content. It's going to be sweet.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to view your xbox digital library on PC? I am getting a series s this week, whenever it arrives at best buy for pick up, and it's been years since I looked at my digital library since I haven't owned a console since 360. Online info on this seems to be outdated.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Is there a way to view your xbox digital library on PC? I am getting a series s this week, whenever it arrives at best buy for pick up, and it's been years since I looked at my digital library since I haven't owned a console since 360. Online info on this seems to be outdated.
You should be able to check via the Xbox app on your phone, but on PC I'm not sure. I would imagine somewhere on your account purchase history online under your Microsoft account.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Series S is already getting discounts in my country, if it drops any further i might pick one up just cause.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Series S is already getting discounts in my country, if it drops any further i might pick one up just cause.
If you really want one in the UK, you can get it for shy of £200 occasionally
Quick Resume continues to be a total crapshoot. I feel it has only gotten less reliable since launch.

Audio getting locked to specific suspended games or otherwise just not present, non-responsiveness to the controller that was used when suspended, seemingly random lost sessions.

It's my favorite feature, but every time it fails it makes me sour.
Yeah, seriously. Feels like it's getting worse for some reason. Dragon Quest 11 and Yakuza Like a Dragon have been the most reliable for me.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I've had my Series X since the US launch and it's still such a pleasure to play games on. I have to admit that buying into an LG CX just before the new consoles launched helps, since the Series X takes advantage of a lot of the HDMI 2.1 features.

Smart delivery; Xbox's dedicated backwards compat efforts (not just robust support but actively enhancing games); IMO the wireless headset being extremely good (great comfort and decent sound quality after some equalizer tweaking); Quick Resume; the SSD load times in general with both of the new consoles.

Just an awesome console all around. I've felt this kinda level of just appreciating the quality-of-life improvements over previous generation only with PS2 and Switch in my life so far.

PS5 also has some really cool stuff (Dual Sense haptics and triggers!), I just wish that it had more robust HDMI 2.1 support already -- VRR for me smoothing over the minor dips that would otherwise prove to be a bit distracting has been awesome. I do hope devs will unlock framerates and just let VRR smooth things over north of 60 and south of 120 on both new consoles eventually, but catching the fluctuations as it does right now (mostly dips below 60fps) has been awesome on Xbox Series -- just all-around smooth, smooth game experiences between the load times and the VRR catching the dips that would definitely present as stuttery in the classic refresh rate setup.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Oh! I could actually get one of these into a purchase situation @ Game today! I'm on pause though, I want to see what is going to come out of the mix with this entire Nintendo drama. See what exactly it is we will be getting. I don't think anybody can come close to MS when it comes to thinking about the implementation of features at a OS level.

Damage_inc

Dec 7, 2018
So I'm wondering if this is an issue with my Xbox, the frame rate for Warzone does not feel 60fps. At first I thought maybe I'm too used to 144hz on my computer, but when I look up in the game the frame rate is smooth (playing on a 65" 60hz TCL, so it's not going from 60 to 120 or anything). So clearly the choppiness is indeed poor frame rate as I suspected I just don't know why. If my Series X is fucked up or some setting may be causing this? Running 4kHDR, game mode on the TCL. This is base multiplayer too, not even Warzone.
Cold war?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
60fps change everything . Xbox Series FPSboost is the best feature IMO.
Agreed. Even for games who have 720p, 900p, 1080p resolution. Obviously a higher resolution would make it look better, but in the absence of any incresed resolution; the fluidity of 60fps helps improve how everything looks in motion.