• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
Ordered a Series X today. I didn't play my One X much before I gave it to my sister but I picked up the Xbox headset last week for my PC so I'm happy to get full use of of it. I've been a mainly pc gamer last few years but sports games just aren't the same not on my 55' TV so I'm looking forward to that again.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Ordered a Series X today. I didn't play my One X much before I gave it to my sister but I picked up the Xbox headset last week for my PC so I'm happy to get full use of of it. I've been a mainly pc gamer last few years but sports games just aren't the same not on my 55' TV so I'm looking forward to that again.
Where was it available to order?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
He tried at the end, didn't work
oh you mean cloning XSS to XSX
No, he tried placing the XSX 1TB into the XSS as is. His first attempt at just swapping in a new drive didn't work with the XSXs, so yeah.

I'm saying he should've placed the XSS and XSX drives into the Sabrent and cloned the XSS into the XSX 1TB drive.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I tried 120fps for the first time last night and I can't tell or feel the difference between it and 60fps 😐
I can't tell the difference at all, that's why I don't really care for 120fps on console with a controller.

However, using Keyboard and mouse, the difference between 60 and 120 is night and day; seriously a game changer.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would have worked, there are just some extra steps you have to take when not cloning drive. Replacing internal drive has been possible since 2013

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Hey, that's like me with 30 and 60. 😉 Consider it a blessing, no need to chase the upgrade.

--

Trying Yakuza 0, first Yakuza game. Is that wise to start there?
Yeah, there's no point in playing at 120fps/1080p when I can't tell difference. I can see and feel the difference almost immediate between 30 and 60.

Yes, Yakuza 0 is a prequel to the first game and in my opinion the game the finest entry in the series.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
You're talking about twitch shooters I assume?
My bad, yeah. I think that statement is true in general though; K+M benefits greatly from a higher framerate.

I tried the Witcher 3 on PC using a controller; couldn't tell the difference between locked 60fps and 144fps. It was a little more noticeable using K+M though.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
My bad, yeah. I think that statement is true in general though; K+M benefits greatly from a higher framerate.

I tried the Witcher 3 on PC using a controller; couldn't tell the difference between locked 60fps and 144fps. It was a little more noticeable using K+M though.
Yeah, I guess games that work best with K+M have a clear advantage at higher frame-rates.

With me though, I don't even see the difference, let alone feel it.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alright then, let me see if I can show you a comparison.
I just tried, I was in Netflix on Xbox Series X watching an HDR show, went to YouTube, my TV switched to SDR, I played a video, still SDR, I searched for an HDR video and the TV switched to HDR.

Colors are as good as my TV native app on Xbox, maybe your TV has different profiles on different sources ? Mine does but I set up them with the same values.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I just tried, I was in Netflix on Xbox Series X watching an HDR show, went to YouTube, my TV switched to SDR, I played a video, still SDR, I searched for an HDR video and the TV switched to HDR.

Colors are as good as my TV native app on Xbox, maybe your TV has different profiles on different sources ? Mine does but I set up them with the same values.
I see, thank you for sharing your experience. I was playing Aliens Isolation when I decided to switch to YouTube for a short period, and as you know, Xbox has an auto HDR feature so maybe that's what caused the wonky colours momentarily.

I just double check and the two look almost identical now:
da370849-e8e7-4bb3-8s9jb3.jpeg

12bddb13-c35c-437e-asnk0q.jpeg

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Put me down as another with quick resume issues lately. I haven't had any until the last few weeks, which is lucky I suppose, but I've had to clear my entire quick resume stack more than once as games like Village, Dishonored, Snowrunner and others will boot with either no sound, no controller input or both. It's been quite frustrating.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Another question, my Xbox guide has stopped showing how many people I've got online and the green dot is also gone. Is this a known issue or have I accidentally turned off something I shouldn't have?

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Just a reminder for those of us who do not yet have gamepass: use a VPN and code sites (e.g., cdkeys.com, eneba.com) to purchase games from cheaper regions (mainly Argentina and Latin America).

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
Another question, my Xbox guide has stopped showing how many people I've got online and the green dot is also gone. Is this a known issue or have I accidentally turned off something I shouldn't have?
I think that's how it works now, they removed the friends counter on the guide a few updates ago. Since I'm on a insider build I don't remember when but it's been a while.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Don't plug headphones
What? 🤨
I'm away right now, but I think there is a setting to output both.
Does it not do that by default? I basically want it to work like it does on the PS4 - as soon as I connect my wired headphones to the DS4, it turns of all external sound.
I think that's how it works now, they removed the friends counter on the guide a few updates ago. Since I'm on a insider build I don't remember when but it's been a while.
Thats's a shame, I actually liked the green notification dot.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I know it's a long shot, but is anyone else having the below issue with the console?

ON5URRc.gif

As you can see, whenever I exit or enter a HDR app the screen goes black, sometimes flashing a green 'digital' thing for a split second, before showing the image a second or two later. This is very specifically happening only with HDR -> SDR transitions (and vice-versa); when I open and close an SDR game/app (e.g. GTAIV without Auto-HDR enabled) there is no delay at all. Similarly, going from the UI to games and back, a HDR -> HDR transition, on PS5 is instant. It's not a UI thing either, as going from Watch Dogs: Legion to GTA:IV (and vice-versa) does the same thing once the 'Quick Resume' screen ends.

Is this normal or is there some way to fix it? If it helps I'm using an LG C9 OLED, and every time the HDR app opens it says "Instant Game Response has been launched. It's not the end of the world, of course, but as someone who tends to go in and out of the UI a lot it's definitely a pretty major annoyance when using the Series X.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I know it's a long shot, but is anyone else having the below issue with the console?

ON5URRc.gif

As you can see, whenever I exit or enter a HDR app the screen goes black, sometimes flashing a green 'digital' thing for a split second, before showing the image a second or two later. This is very specifically happening only with HDR -> SDR transitions (and vice-versa); when I open and close an SDR game/app (e.g. GTAIV without Auto-HDR enabled) there is no delay at all. Similarly, going from the UI to games and back, a HDR -> HDR transition, on PS5 is instant.

Is this normal or is there some way to fix it? If it helps I'm using an LG C9 OLED, and every time the HDR app opens it says "Instant Game Response has been launched. It's not the end of the world, of course, but as someone who tends to go in and out of the UI a lot it's definitely a pretty major annoyance when using the Series X.
Same on my end. I doubt there's an issue with our consoles as it's the same on PlayStation.

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
What? 🤨

Does it not do that by default? I basically want it to work like it does on the PS4 - as soon as I connect my wired headphones to the DS4, it turns of all external sound.

Thats's a shame, I actually liked the green notification dot.

Nope.
Is funny because I've seen playstation players all for it not to cut off TV audio. Different things for different folks.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Oh my bad, read that backwards.

I thought that plugging headphones to the controller kills audio to the TV
Ah, not a problem.
Nope.
Is funny because I've seen playstation players all for it not to cut off TV audio. Different things for different folks.
It's such a basic QoL improvement, I hope they add in the option soon.

But why, what's the point of all that extra background noise?

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017

ON5URRc.gif

As you can see, whenever I exit or enter a HDR app the screen goes black, sometimes flashing a green 'digital' thing for a split second, before showing the image a second or two later. This is very specifically happening only with HDR -> SDR transitions (and vice-versa); when I open and close an SDR game/app (e.g. GTAIV without Auto-HDR enabled) there is no delay at all. Similarly, going from the UI to games and back, a HDR -> HDR transition, on PS5 is instant. It's not a UI thing either, as going from Watch Dogs: Legion to GTA:IV (and vice-versa) does the same thing once the 'Quick Resume' screen ends.

The PS5 runs everything in HDR, including the main UI (don't know if they changed some of that on the latest console update), so the TV doesn't have to switch between SDR and HDR. Xbox runs the dashboard in SDR and so it enables HDR when launching into a HDR or Auto HDR game. There is no way right now to run the dashboard in HDR, so the screen will have to flash.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Same on my end. I doubt there's an issue with our consoles as it's the same on PlayStation.

PS4, I'm assuming? Because on my PS5 the transition from game-to-UI is as instant as you'd expect it to be.

I just turned Instant Game Response off for the Series X's HDMI slot and the weird green flash turned off; but losing VRR isn't worth fixing that single issue.

The PS5 runs everything in HDR, including the main UI (don't know if they changed some of that on the latest console update), so the TV doesn't have to switch between SDR and HDR. Xbox runs the dashboard in SDR and so it enables HDR when launching into a HDR or Auto HDR game. There is no way right now to run the dashboard in HDR, so the screen will have to flash.

I already knew about the PS5 running everything in HDR; though they *did* introduce the option to have HDR only on when applicable so I might test that out to see.

And damn, that does kinda suck; so there's no real way to get rid of that black-screen transition between HDR and non-HDR content? It's definitely a 'first-world' problem, of course, but it's a bit of a hindrance to the near-instantaneousness of the rest of the console's experience.

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
One thing I've noticed is as I've gotten older (almost 30), those flashy COD and FPS titles don't excite me anymore. Destiny 2 looks great on my XSS but the gameplay doesn't pull me in anymore. War Zone? Gross. Apex Legends? Seems like too much work to learn a new system. The last FPS game that really caught my attention was Overwatch on my old roommates PS4; I ran Sigma and was pretty decent, actually.

But now I'm starting to really appreciate artwork and the beauty of games more so than their frame rate. BOTW is one game that comes to mind for me on this. From the little exposure I had to it, everything about it was enjoyable. Hell, I'm still content with playing BC 360 titles with little complaints. My biggest issue is not having the right genre to keep my interest. I've been playing MS1 BC and it's . . . okay. It's still my first ever play through so I'm trying to stick to it. Other than that, I'm waiting for RDR2 (again, first play through) to finish installing so I can get more of a "true" optimized experience on my XSS.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
And damn, that does kinda suck; so there's no real way to get rid of that black-screen transition between HDR and non-HDR content? It's definitely a 'first-world' problem, of course, but it's a bit of a hindrance to the near-instantaneousness of the rest of the console's experience.

Pretty sure that's just how it is (unless there's a tv function i dont know about), and it isn't exclusive to xbox.

I also have an apple TV 4k and when switching between sdr and hdr/dolby vision content it does a black screen in between. Does it on ps5 too when you change the setting to stop forcing all content into a hdr container which they thankfully finally added.