• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
So I've had the urge to pick up an Xbox Series recently due to how much content I have to play on Game Pass Ultimate. Currently have a PS5 and a PC with an RTX card in it so I've been tempted to just pick up a Series S which is readily available where I live, even though I'll be playing it on a 4K OLED display. Even with the BC caveats, is it a worthy 'upgrade' from the One X? The emulation is also tempting.
Series X is the only option if you're considering BC.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I was so close to getting one twice yesterday! I'm really hoping more of these become available soon. I'm ready to Jump In™️

Oct 28, 2017
Yo yo yo yo yo yo. So how does quick resume actually work? Like what's the sorcery behind it? My Xbox has been off for 5 days. Not just suspended. Staight up power off no power going to the console. How in the actual fuck am I still able to quick resume now? What is happening?

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
So I've had the urge to pick up an Xbox Series recently due to how much content I have to play on Game Pass Ultimate. Currently have a PS5 and a PC with an RTX card in it so I've been tempted to just pick up a Series S which is readily available where I live, even though I'll be playing it on a 4K OLED display. Even with the BC caveats, is it a worthy 'upgrade' from the One X? The emulation is also tempting.
Depends I guess on what games you want to play since there may be some overlap with your PC. BC sounds nice though with the FPS boost titles.

As for emulation, wouldn't it be easier, more performant (and less of a hassle?) to just emulate through your PC?

EDIT:
Oh, didn't notice you were asking about the S. I would stick with the One X in that case or try to secure a Series X.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Yo yo yo yo yo yo. So how does quick resume actually work? Like what's the sorcery behind it? My Xbox has been off for 5 days. Not just suspended. Staight up power off no power going to the console. How in the actual fuck am I still able to quick resume now? What is happening?
save states are dumped into a cache on the ssd (which is why the OS portion of the SSD is a little larger, needs room for QR states), just like any old file that persists when power is off. then, when you resume it loads that into RAM.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Depends I guess on what games you want to play since there may be some overlap with your PC. BC sounds nice though with the FPS boost titles.

As for emulation, wouldn't it be easier, more performant (and less of a hassle?) to just emulate through your PC?

EDIT:
Oh, didn't notice you were asking about the S. I would stick with the One X in that case or try to secure a Series X.

Mostly looking to slowly work on replaying games like DQXI, FFXIITZA, FFXIII, Splinter Cell Blacklist, which all had great enhancements on Xbox One X.

As for emulation, you're right about PC, although that stays at my desk for various reasons. Y'all have definitely convinced me to wait for a Series X though.

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.

Magic. Even console updates keep the state. It's rad when it works.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
As for emulation, you're right about PC, although that stays at my desk for various reasons.
Same here with the PC desk. It's why I love my Nvidia Shield. Streaming quality is near perfect (at 4k, max possible bitrates - I always hope that Microsoft and Sony could offer the same with their remote play options) and input lag is pretty much unnoticeable for me for 90% of the games I want to play.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I like how modular the OS seems to be. Pretty much everything is an app, which I think is awesome but it would be nice if you could hide a few of those apps (like settings/gamepass seeing as they already have their own dedicated icon)

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Lmao. My brother is gunning for a Series X today. I asked him if he's getting any games for it.

"Nope. Don't need to. It's, uh, Xbox."

Couldn't even disagree. Microsoft is nailing it this gen

I've owned a Series S for almost 6 months and I don't own any games for it, other than a few 360 games that I bought like 9 years ago on random sales.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
I have no plans buying any games on my new Series S , apart from maybe Lost Judgment. I rather play games on my PC but due to my other half working from home my PC time is heavily restricted these days.

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
Acquired a Series S, what's the best Gears of War Multiplayer and or the most played one? Anyone know?
I'd imagine it's 5 but that's just a guess on my part. I play the multiplayer on 5 everyday, have since getting a Series X at launch. It's just so damn fun. I never have a problem getting into a match either, no matter what mode I choose within multiplayer.

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
So glad MLB The Show came to Xbox this year. Really enjoying the game. Just finished the March to October and won the World Series in style. 😎

Nice! Yea, I've played every version of The Show since I think 06 on PS2, it's long been my favorite sports game. While I own it for both PS5 and Series X this year, I actually prefer to play it on my Series X. I feel it actually looks a tad better and sharper on my CX with the Series X than PS5. Plus the latency just feels so much more responsive on Series X, which really helps when timing up hitting or using meter pitching. It's been a blast so far. This is the first year I've ever really given Diamond Dynasty a shot and I've been having a lot of fun.

By the way, how long did it take you to get through March to October? It's a mode that never interested me but I want to get 1000 gamer score for this game. So just curious to see how long it took you to finish this season and get the achievements. Thanks!

Rivanov

Mar 22, 2018
The Netherlands
Nice! Yea, I've played every version of The Show since I think 06 on PS2, it's long been my favorite sports game. While I own it for both PS5 and Series X this year, I actually prefer to play it on my Series X. I feel it actually looks a tad better and sharper on my CX with the Series X than PS5. Plus the latency just feels so much more responsive on Series X, which really helps when timing up hitting or using meter pitching. It's been a blast so far. This is the first year I've ever really given Diamond Dynasty a shot and I've been having a lot of fun.

By the way, how long did it take you to get through March to October? It's a mode that never interested me but I want to get 1000 gamer score for this game. So just curious to see how long it took you to finish this season and get the achievements. Thanks!
I started on releaseday .. and played approx 2 or 3 games per day.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I set up my Series X yesterday and saw The Outer Wilds "ready for pre-load" but I didn't buy it and also don't have Gamepass.

Any idea why that is?

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden
Managed to get a series X while looking for a PS5 :) This will be my first Xbox since the 360!
My initial plan was to get a PS5 first and series X later on but this works to lol.
Any gem from last gen I should play?

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
Hi,
After leaving the Xbox ecosystem behind me in 2010/11, I'm getting back in with a Series X (whenever I manage to find one anyway)!
I already got a PS5 and I want a XSX to play the exclusives and likely most third-parties from now on as I read XSX usually has the edge. I have a few questions:

- I was using a EU (French) account on 360. I'm planning on going with US this time around. Do I need to create another account? Or can I change the region of the current one while retaining my former purchases?

- I read about the Gold to Game Pass trick, is it still working? Because if it is, I very much plan on buying 3 years of XBLG + pay for Ultimate upgrade… I've never used GP in the past so I should be eligible?

Thanks

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Managed to get a series X while looking for a PS5 :) This will be my first Xbox since the 360!
My initial plan was to get a PS5 first and series X later on but this works to lol.
Any gem from last gen I should play?
Ori and the will of the wisps 1000%

Hi,
After leaving the Xbox ecosystem behind me in 2010/11, I'm getting back in with a Series X (whenever I manage to find one anyway)!
I already got a PS5 and I want a XSX to play the exclusives and likely most third-parties from now on as I read XSX usually has the edge. I have a few questions:

- I was using a EU (French) account on 360. I'm planning on going with US this time around. Do I need to create another account? Or can I change the region of the current one while retaining my former purchases?

- I read about the Gold to Game Pass trick, is it still working? Because if it is, I very much plan on buying 3 years of XBLG + pay for Ultimate upgrade… I've never used GP in the past so I should be eligible?

Thanks
Welcome! I haven't done it myself but I think you just change your region and it carries over, unless I'm thinking of the system region to play things early like in new Zealand..

The trick still works. I think due to the $1 for 3 months offer right now you can only add 33 months of Gold before converting? Because 36 is the maximum, but I'm not 100% on that. Worst case is you buy a month for $15 instead of the $1 offer if it won't allow you to after loading up 36 Gold.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
Ori and the will of the wisps 1000%

Welcome! I haven't done it myself but I think you just change your region and it carries over, unless I'm thinking of the system region to play things early like in new Zealand..

The trick still works. I think due to the $1 for 3 months offer right now you can only add 33 months of Gold before converting? Because 36 is the maximum, but I'm not 100% on that. Worst case is you buy a month for $15 instead of the $1 offer if it won't allow you to after loading up 36 Gold.
Thank you for the answers good sir.
Pretty excited to be back !

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really love the Series X, it feels so nice to sit down and game on it. Just feels like a perfect platform for gaming.

Oct 27, 2017
I really love the Series X, it feels so nice to sit down and game on it. Just feels like a perfect platform for gaming.

Same. Mine arrived on Friday and I've been loving it. I can't get over how quick the system is at booting up and getting into games via Quick Resume, and it's also legitimately silent. The Series X is a seriously impressive piece of hardware.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same. Mine arrived on Friday and I've been loving it. I can't get over how quick the system is at booting up and getting into games via Quick Resume, and it's also legitimately silent. The Series X is a seriously impressive piece of hardware.

Dead silent, unobtrusive design, quick resume getting my into games so fast and allowing my to bounce between pick up and play games and meatier titles in a flash. The speed in which you start gaming just encourages you to squeeze in more gaming throughout the day, it doesn't feel like something you need to sit down and be like "ok I need to dedicated a big chunk of time to this now".

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Dead silent, unobtrusive design, quick resume getting my into games so fast and allowing my to bounce between pick up and play games and meatier titles in a flash. The speed in which you start gaming just encourages you to squeeze in more gaming throughout the day, it doesn't feel like something you need to sit down and be like "ok I need to dedicated a big chunk of time to this now".
That's pretty much why the Switch was so attractive when it released and made it clear how slow the PS4/X1 took to boot up for a quick session. The Series X is now just stupidly fast to the point that you can squeeze a session in

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Just bought a series x and notice there is an option for 'audio passthrough' in there that I don't remember my One X having. Can someone explain what the point of that would be? Surely the console is doing all the audio encoding and passing it directly to your amplifier anyway? It has me confused.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Just bought a series x and notice there is an option for 'audio passthrough' in there that I don't remember my One X having. Can someone explain what the point of that would be? Surely the console is doing all the audio encoding and passing it directly to your amplifier anyway? It has me confused.
It's to let media apps pass through the Dolby Atmos or whatever without being touched by the console and instead directly to the receiver. Keeps audio at highest quality, supposedly. Doesn't affect games.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
So I got my Series X on friday and tested it out for two days and I am considering sending it back. It's not the systems fault, it's amazing. It's fast, responsive, does everything that it should do. Even the OS is easier to use than I thought it would be. Everything is kinda self-explanatory, even with all the functions it has. Also, BC is as great as I thought it would be. Basically all I did was playing old 360 games (since I don't have any Series games).

But I already have a Switch, PS5 and an (old) PC (with no plan to upgrade for now) and not much time to play, making it kinda hard to justify spending 500€ for it right now. I still prefer the PS5 versions with many games if they make good use of the Dual Sense. And god knows when the exclusives arrive that interest me like the new Perfect Dark, Fable, Arkane's new games (Deathloop even comes to PS5 first) etc.

Considered GP but doesn't seem to make much sense for me because of my limited time and specific taste in games.

I'm torn and go back and forth on wether to keep it or not. I also want to replay RDR in 4k lol. But I could also wait 3 years, buy one for less than 500€ and get all the new amazing games with it.

First world problems.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I got to try out Gamepass for the first time this weekend playing Fifa 21, and Quick Resume between Forza Horizon 4 & the former on a Series S. Real cool stuff!