• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wet Jimmy

Nov 11, 2017
Anyone here have a Series X, Series S, and the Seagate expansion card? I'm curious to know how seamless it is to just swap the card between both and have games playing optimally.

Works pretty much as you'd expect - the only reason you'd know that an expansion card was plugged in is that after a second or two of plugging it in, your console may prompt you (more or less) to "… enable automatic updates on this drive".

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
16x AF for all games is such a game changer. Nier automata looks so much better

ultimaotaku

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone out there tried replacing the ssd yet? It's odd i kinda expected someone to try right away but after a quick search i couldn't find anything.

Figured this was a good place to ask.

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
So the Xbox series x doesn't clip voice chat in games like Warzone. This sucks and ruins the impact when trying to clip and share shit with friends.

I know it's an os thing so applies to all xbox consoles. I thought streaming on twitch would be better and I can just clip on twitch. It didn't work twitch doesn't pick up voice chat on warzone either. What's the point of streaming through the console if it's not going to record the full experience?

This must an Xbox / os / broadcasting issue because my friends can clip or stream with voice chat on warzone on their PlayStation with no issues.

I hope they update broadcasting on Xbox because it's trash atm.

inspectah

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Hey OscarK , where can I report missing tags of Xbox games?
Resident Evil 3 remake misses the One X Enhanced tag and because of that shows up in the wrong category of my games library.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
has MS said if we've gotten all the back compat (OG/360 specifically) games we're gonna get?

the selection is good but i want more.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
So I bought a Series X, played with it for about a month and then the novelty of the new tech wore off for now. Sold it to a local kid for MSRP just because the market allows right now and bought a PS5 disc model instead.

There's objectively more I want to play on PS5 in the near future and right now, but I'll be damned if I don't oddly miss just playing with the Xbox OS. Like I got such a weird sense of satisfaction from booting up a game I played two weeks ago to find that it was still saved in Quick Resume. That and having the ability to play audio through my headset and soundbar at the same time.

10/10 feature-set Microsoft, now bring the games so I can justify buying another one.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
So I bought a Series X, played with it for about a month and then the novelty of the new tech wore off for now. Sold it to a local kid for MSRP just because the market allows right now and bought a PS5 disc model instead.

There's objectively more I want to play on PS5 in the near future and right now, but I'll be damned if I don't oddly miss just playing with the Xbox OS. Like I got such a weird sense of satisfaction from booting up a game I played two weeks ago to find that it was still saved in Quick Resume. That and having the ability to play audio through my headset and soundbar at the same time.

10/10 feature-set Microsoft, now bring the games so I can justify buying another one.

I love my PS5, but there's no denying the user experience on the platform is way better on Xbox. Quick Resume alone is enough to make me want to play a Game on my Series S even if I know it'll probably look better on PS5.

OscarK

Developer at Xbox
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Hey OscarK , where can I report missing tags of Xbox games?
Resident Evil 3 remake misses the One X Enhanced tag and because of that shows up in the wrong category of my games library.

I took a look and the metadata that the publisher (Capcom) uploaded to the Store does not include the "Xbox One X Enhanced" flag, which is why it is not considered such by the console or anywhere else. We can't always detect One X Enhanced automatically as it depends what was enhanced - if there are higher resolution assets, then we can tell as we deliberately download them only on a One X console, but if its just a resolution change internally, then we have no reliable knowledge and rely on the metadata.

I've started a thread internally nonetheless. Cheers for the report! :)

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I took a look and the metadata that the publisher (Capcom) uploaded to the Store does not include the "Xbox One X Enhanced" flag, which is why it is not considered such by the console or anywhere else. We can't always detect One X Enhanced automatically as it depends what was enhanced - if there are higher resolution assets, then we can tell as we deliberately download them only on a One X console, but if its just a resolution change internally, then we have no reliable knowledge and rely on the metadata.

To add onto that, Nier Replicant is definitely one X enhanced, as is Final Fantasy 13, yet both show up as Xbox one titles

Good to know how the process works though and I understand if something like this would be pretty low priority

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Got my greenie in today. I took the battery kit off of my black on and stuck it in here... looks decent.

inspectah

Oct 28, 2017
Germany

Thanks for your support and a huge praise for the work you do here!
It is very much appreciated!

Have a nice weekend. :)

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
Is there really no Capture app to pin to the dashboard ? Considering they've mused added a capture button to the controller , getting to your folder of captures and going through them is super awkward.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I just was in the Village thread asking about brightness settings and dark/crushed captures (screenshots) in SDR

Every past RE Engine game has looked fine with default brightness for me in SDR on Xbox One X, but I've had to dramatically adjust the in-game brightness in SDR on Xbox Series X for Village, and playing the game looks fine, but in contrast, captures all come out overly dark and crushed :/

Any tips? I've calibrated my TV well enough for any other game I've encountered. Default in-game brightness makes for attractive captures when viewed outside of the game on any display I have, but default brightness in-game is weirdly unplayable on my TV. Maybe captures are a wash for me and I should just be glad adjusting the in-game brightness as the settings instruct makes the game readable.

But I've been searching around online and it sounds like there's a issue with HDR captures being too dark since launch and it's unclear if it's been fixed..? Does that possibly extend to my experience with Village and SDR and following settings instruction for adjusting the in-game brightness, but the captures coming out unreadably dark?

Maybe it's title specific? I'm saw someone else post about captures being too dark on Village Xbox Series X https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxinsiders/comments/n3flgt/major_issues_while_recording_clips_on_xbox/

Last edited:

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
So, I still love my Series X but recently I noticed a weird rattling noise. I think it might be the fan? It's really hard to pin point, and it's only really noticeable when it's quiet (e.g. when I'm not in a game) and even then the noise is pretty quiet BUT noticeable (especially now that I'm aware of it). And I'm worried it might get worse.

Does anyone else have experience with this? I might try placing it horizontally for some time to see if that changes things...

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Does Human Fall Flat not work online right now? It keeps erroring out saying "You need the Xbox Series X|S version of the game to join session." when trying to join friend's games online. There is no XS version yet.. just the game that's available via Game Pass..

😒

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else's headphone jack on their controller kinda glitchy? If I moved the plug a bit, it starts distorting. I'm pretty sure it's not the cord since I tried it on a computer and tried wiggling it and it was fine.

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
Looking for a new remote, I'm using my Xbox one talon remote which is great but can't control volume or mute and i have to point it directly at IR dot on the device!

Midnight

Jan 5, 2018
I've only ever played on PlayStation so I've never owned an Xbox before - MS' first party games don't usually appeal to me, but I've often been curious to try their ecosystem.

A couple of days ago, out of the blue I bought a brand new Xbox Series S that was on sale on a national retail chain here for €240. That's insane. 240 bucks for a new next-gen console is mind blowing to me, I couldn't pass on that.

So I want to share my quick thoughts so far - I'm liking it! Console's real pretty, and I got used to the controller faster than I thought I would. Not the biggest fan of the UI though, and the 512GB of storage sucks, specially for someone with slow internet speeds, but I knew that coming in.

I subscribed to Game Pass of course and have played a couple of hours of Forza Horizon 4 (having a blast, I just know that one's going to be my chill game that I'll keep going back to) and Sunset Overdrive (it's okay I guess, not my style but I wanted to try it since it's from Insomniac Games). I'm downloading MLB The Show 21 (why not?) and Gears 5 too. And there are obviously a few other games I want to try next (Control, maybe the Halo series, etc.)

So in conclusion, I just wanted to say that the Series S is a good choice for people like me - who have never played on Xbox before, but have been wanting to try it out and have a new experience. I still plan on getting a PS5 whenever it becomes more available and stable, but having a Series S as a secondary console, for a more casual use, is perfect.

I now just hope it stands the test of time and at least future MS exclusives get well optimized for it, but I can always try to sell the console later on if it disappoints. But right now, it's great value.

Last edited:

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I've only ever played on PlayStation so I've never owned an Xbox before - MS' first party games don't usually appeal to me, but I've often been curious to try their ecosystem.

A couple of days ago, out of the blue I bought a brand new Xbox Series S that was on sale on a national retail chain here for €240. That's insane. 240 bucks for a new next-gen console is mind blowing to me, I couldn't pass on that.

So I want to share my quick thoughts so far - I'm liking it! Console's real pretty, and I got used to the controller faster than I thought I would. Not the biggest fan of the UI though, and the 512GB of storage sucks, specially for someone with slow internet speeds, but I knew that coming in.

I subscribed to Game Pass of course and have played a couple of hours of Forza Horizon 4 (having a blast, I just know that one's going to be my chill game that I'll keep going back to) and Sunset Overdrive (it's okay I guess, not my style but I wanted to try it since it's from Insomniac Games). I'm downloading MLB The Show 21 (why not?) and Gears 5 too. And there are obviously a few other games I want to try next (Control, maybe the Halo series, etc.)

So in conclusion, I just wanted to say that the Series S is a good choice for people like me - who have never played on Xbox before, but have been wanting to try it out and have a new experience. I still plan on getting a PS5 whenever it becomes more available and stable, but having a Series S as a secondary console, for a more casual use, is perfect.

I now just hope it stands the test of time and at least future MS exclusives get well optimized for it, but I can always try to sell the console later on if it disappoints. But right now, it's great value.

If I may interject. If you like JRPGs do yourself a favor and grab both Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon for BC titles. Also if you like character action games Ninja Gaiden Black is also worth checking out.

I could probably list a bunch of other titles but those three are probably the most noteworthy off the top of my head.

Oct 27, 2017
Had this weird glitch where I turned on the Xbox with the console's button, I heard the chime but it didn't turn on. I even waited a few seconds to see if maybe it was updating or something but nothing came up. Unplugged it and turned it on again and it worked, but shit was weird.

Midnight

Jan 5, 2018
If I may interject. If you like JRPGs do yourself a favor and grab both Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon for BC titles. Also if you like character action games Ninja Gaiden Black is also worth checking out.

I could probably list a bunch of other titles but those three are probably the most noteworthy off the top of my head.
Thanks for the recommendations, noted! I don't play JRPGs, but I may want to try new genres eventually, so I won't forget them.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Had this weird glitch where I turned on the Xbox with the console's button, I heard the chime but it didn't turn on. I even waited a few seconds to see if maybe it was updating or something but nothing came up. Unplugged it and turned it on again and it worked, but shit was weird.

Had that too, but I'm used to it from my one x. Heart skips a beat, lol.

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
For everyone that has the SSD expansion, where did you buy it? Are there any recommendations on certain places to get it, as far as return/warranty policy? Just in case it fails or something.

It's in stock at a local Best Buy, but I can also order it on Amazon and get same day delivery with Prime.

Can't wait to get this. I already organized my home with a bunch of folders, like all the Gears games, Oris, sports games, Star Wars etc. Each folder has a bunch of games Ive had to delete due to space, so it'll be nice to download them all again and not worry about it anymore.

Thanks

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
So, a question for those with a Series X and a gaming PC.

Does it feel redundant or not?

I have a PC with a 1080Ti right now, and really itching for a Series X. Quick Resume, the differences in Game Pass library, enhanced BC (specially for games that aren't or are better optimized for console experience), and the staying power of a console, really makes me want this console. A PS5 would be good too (I have a PS3/PS4 now), but it's more rare to find and more expensive here, so the Series X is extra attractive. I already have GPU too.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

I have a PC with a 1080Ti right now, and really itching for a Series X. Quick Resume, the differences in Game Pass library, enhanced BC (specially for games that aren't or are better optimized for console experience), and the staying power of a console, really makes me want this console. A PS5 would be good too (I have a PS3/PS4 now), but it's more rare to find and more expensive here, so the Series X is extra attractive. I already have GPU too.
It doesn't feel redundant to me. I have a 3060 Ti. I find myself wanting to play on the couch more because of working from home. I will play FPS games like Warzone on PC, but I've been enjoying Game Pass and the big 4K HDR experience with all the Xbox games. It's definitely a convenience/luxury thing if you already have a PC, because of Microsoft's PC+Xbox strategy, but not redundant. However, Game Pass on Xbox is slightly different and it's that user experience that feels worth it to me. I also plan on getting a PS5 down the road once they shrink that bad boy's size lol.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

On paper it's definitely a bit redundant, but owning a Series X does have a lot of benefits such as the ones you listed here. And there's definitely some nicely enhanced titles that you can't get on PC or are better on Series X like Red Dead Redemption, Final Fantasy XIII, etc..

Things like Auto HDR are nice to have as well.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
On paper it's definitely a bit redundant, but owning a Series X does have a lot of benefits such as the ones you listed here. And there's definitely some nicely enhanced titles that you can't get on PC or are better on Series X like Red Dead Redemption, Final Fantasy XIII, etc..

Things like Auto HDR are nice to have as well.
Auto HDR is on PC now too (in Insider preview?), but HDR on monitors is way less performant than on TVs of course :-)

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018

Depends on you and your taste. I have a gaming PC but I just prefer console gaming for various reasons - including those you mentioned for Xbox (Quick Resume, better GP, BC, etc). Of course, that's just me, and many people prefer PC gaming or find the difference too small to get both a PC and a Series X (you can play all those games on PC, too, so why get both) - but I just love the Series X and it feels great. It's incredibly silent, Quick Resume is awesome and I just presume to have a dedicated gaming devocie.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

As someone with the same PC (1080ti), a Series X and i was lucky enough to be gifted a PS5 and not much time this year, i have been finding more and more reasons to play my Xbox. Game Pass has been massive for me and has gotten me to play so many things that i normally would not be able to play. But absolutely the biggest feature has been the BC - specfically the enhancements. Some of these BC games are now best played on Xbox and the fact that my library only seems to grow, makes me want to invest more in their ecosystem.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Works pretty much as you'd expect - the only reason you'd know that an expansion card was plugged in is that after a second or two of plugging it in, your console may prompt you (more or less) to "… enable automatic updates on this drive".

Does the expansion drive treat it as an external drive or does it expand the main storage? as in, if you install a game, do you have to move it manually? Right now I'm finding it a bore to install a non-XSX game, then have to move it manually to my external HDD to free up space.

I have both, and it can feel redundant at times, but I play different games for different reasons. I don't want to sit at my PC to play Forza Horizon, for example. Especially since I work at my desk all day, I want to go sit on the sofa and not stay at my desk wherever possible.

I used to faff about with Steam Link or moving my PC downstairs, but the XSX is better in every way. I use my PC for PC-only games such as Age of Empires, Arma, etc.

GPU also gives you great value out of the box seeing as you're already paying for it. If you're unsure about whether you need both, get an XSS and then upgrade later if you can justify it. An XSS is a great GPU companion to a PC.

Deleted member 85465

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2020

It doesn't feel redundant to me. I have a 3060 Ti. I find myself wanting to play on the couch more because of working from home. I will play FPS games like Warzone on PC, but I've been enjoying Game Pass and the big 4K HDR experience with all the Xbox games. It's definitely a convenience/luxury thing if you already have a PC, because of Microsoft's PC+Xbox strategy, but not redundant. However, Game Pass on Xbox is slightly different and it's that user experience that feels worth it to me. I also plan on getting a PS5 down the road once they shrink that bad boy's size lol.
Kinda the same experience with me, I have a 2070 super and I don't have an hdr monitor, so I have completely abandoned single player games on PC in favor of playing on Xbox, since 4k HDR looks better than my pc honestly and its a lot more confortable to play on a couch than on a chair (added that quick resume is a killer feature), I only play multiplayer games on PC now.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020

I appreciate your post!

Xbox One X was my "primary" console last gen but I'm seriously thinking about getting a Series S down the line. I bought one near launch but couldn't really find anything to play on it/didn't like the storage limitations. I bought a Series X last month and loved it, but it felt like more than I really want/need out of the platform when I already have a PS5.

As long as games like Halo Infinite look/play great on the Series S, I'll likely buy one as soon as they up the storage to 1Tb.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
All giving me food for thought. I was considering a Series S too, but I'd be mainly using the console on a 4K HDR display and I would also like to take advantage of physical media (4K Bluray and 360 games, they are dirt cheap)

Oct 25, 2017
Does the expansion drive treat it as an external drive or does it expand the main storage? as in, if you install a game, do you have to move it manually? Right now I'm finding it a bore to install a non-XSX game, then have to move it manually to my external HDD to free up space.

It treats it as an external drive. Transfer speeds are fast though. Like 50GB in 3 minutes or so. Transfer speeds are pretty similar for external USB SSD. I take it you are using a mechanical USB HDD?

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Had that too, but I'm used to it from my one x. Heart skips a beat, lol.
Yeah, it keeps occasionally happening to me as well. Vent is hot too, so the console is running, but the gamepad keeps trying to connect and there's no HDMI signal.
OscarK is this a known issue? Do you guys know what could cause that?

Midnight

Jan 5, 2018
I appreciate your post!

Xbox One X was my "primary" console last gen but I'm seriously thinking about getting a Series S down the line. I bought one near launch but couldn't really find anything to play on it/didn't like the storage limitations. I bought a Series X last month and loved it, but it felt like more than I really want/need out of the platform when I already have a PS5.

As long as games like Halo Infinite look/play great on the Series S, I'll likely buy one as soon as they up the storage to 1Tb.
Thanks! And that's what I'm hoping for too.

The Series S shouldn't make sense to me - I'm a big fan of PS exclusives, I buy physical games, and I pretty much never play online games since my internet connection often isn't the best. But I thought it's a great starting point for someone new to the ecosystem and it's going to be merely a game pass machine, so I think it should be okay for the next few years. But it is going to be dependent on MS' support for the system, so I hope it doesn't get left behind if the console somehow fails to sell long term.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I think a PS5 and Series S go together like bread and butter; nay, like Peanut Butter and Chocolate.

They complement each other perfectly, specially with Gamepass.

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Has anyone purchased a standalone HDD for extra storage for their XSS? Any issues? Thinking about getting a 4TB Barracuda drive and an external closure. Not too worried about the loading speed decreases.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone purchased a standalone HDD for extra storage for their XSS? Any issues? Thinking about getting a 4TB Barracuda drive and an external closure. Not too worried about the loading speed decreases.
You won't be able to play any upgraded Xbox One games, or Series S/X games off that USB external drive.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
You won't be able to play any upgraded Xbox One games, or Series S/X games off that USB external drive.

You can actually play enhanced Xbox One games off the drive, even some of the games that are labeled as "Optimized for Series X|S", such as Halo MCC.

It all depends on whether it's a native Series X|S sku (aka Gen9 "Scarlett") or "Gen9 aware" Xbox One games. The former will only run from an internal drive (or the official M2 Seagate expansion) but the latter will run from external.

ShottiePippen

Oct 29, 2017
You can actually play enhanced Xbox One games off the drive, even some of the games that are labeled as "Optimized for Series X|S", such as Halo MCC.

It all depends on whether it's a native Series X|S sku (aka Gen9 "Scarlett") or "Gen9 aware" Xbox One games. The former will only run from an internal drive (or the official M2 Seagate expansion) but the latter will run from external.
Yup, I have an external 2 TB HDD & this is how it works. The speeds aren't too bad if you're used to PS4/XOne games though moving large games takes time, of course.

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone

Very helpful. Thank you!

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Playing with a XSS, I have a external HDD, it's pretty great. Loading times are not as fast like if you have a game in the internal SSD, but they are close.

By the way, there is someone here who is new to Xbox and wish get a Xbox One as complement? I want lurk stores and try my luck, if I could get one for less than 150 or less I would be very happy. That way I could have a extra controller almost free lol

Last edited:

NPTinker

May 2, 2020
Got myself a series s, everything seems good except for my jabra 85h headphone having tiny volume and losing a lot of audio data even though it works fine on my laptop and phone.
Anyone experiencing this?

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I lucked out on May 6th and looked at NowinStock Canada at the right time. I snagged a Series X and it shipped late last night. It is supposed to arrive sometime tomorrow according to the tracking. Super excited.