• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I am not currently. This is my first Xbox in 8 years.
Worth checking that your Xbox is set as your home console and that your purchases show up in your accounts purchase history. If the games were purchased an alternative account then the Xbox will need to be set as that accounts home Xbox as well (alternatively that account needs to logged in at the same time)

Out of interest when the system tells you to go to the store, what does the store say? Does it show the price on a "buy now" button or tell you that you own the game on a "launch" button?

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
I joined MS family by buying Xbox Series S. This is my second Xbox after the great Xbox 360.

It will be good partner to my PS5. 🖖

Oct 29, 2017
Worth checking that your Xbox is set as your home console and that your purchases show up in your accounts purchase history. If the games were purchased an alternative account then the Xbox will need to be set as that accounts home Xbox as well (alternatively that account needs to logged in at the same time)

Out of interest when the system tells you to go to the store, what does the store say? Does it show the price on a "buy now" button or tell you that you own the game on a "launch" button?
It showed owned. I had set the console as my home console. I just launched it a day after I purchased it and it works. Really strange. Thank you for your help though!

Last edited:

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
Just got my xbox this Friday and today I spent the day gaming. The load times and Quick Resume are an absolute game changer. Normally I play one game at a time and beat that and then move on to the next. I never thought to do it any other way because load times being what they were.

But being able to instantly swap had me enjoying The Medium, Control, and Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order rotating between all three today. When I would get a little bored with one, or stuck, or whatever I would instantly swap to another. And it was a really great experience. I constantly was able to change to match my mood of the moment. It's seamless. It was like swapping cartridges from the old days but even better because its faster than that to get to playing at the exact same spot.

I know this isn't new to anyone who's had the console since launch but I never expected to experience that.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
Is there a way to play XB-One games on the Series S/X WITHOUT having to upgrade? Games like Fortnite have fairly minor upgrades, but have to be played on the internal drive which is tiny as-is.

KingBrave

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to play XB-One games on the Series S/X WITHOUT having to upgrade? Games like Fortnite have fairly minor upgrades, but have to be played on the internal drive which is tiny as-is.
Uh, they don't have to be played on the internal drive. I play it off of my portable HDD. They still take advantage of most of the upgrades and run perfectly fine. Quick resume and other things work pretty well. I think it has to be on the internal to take advantage of the SSD.

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
As a PS4 owner for six years, before that a 360 owner, I feel the slight need to experience gamepass. How is the lifeline prophecy for Series S? Will it come a time where a an SX will be a better early purchase or will the SS flourish for the entire generation?

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
As a PS4 owner for six years, before that a 360 owner, I feel the slight need to experience gamepass. How is the lifeline prophecy for Series S? Will it come a time where a an SX will be a better early purchase or will the SS flourish for the entire generation?

I really hope that over time as developers get more used to the tools and optimizations, the difference between the SX and SS is mainly just resolution and not some other graphical effects. I have an SS now but eventually I will get a SX refresh if they update it enough.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
Uh, they don't have to be played on the internal drive. I play it off of my portable HDD. They still take advantage of most of the upgrades and run perfectly fine. Quick resume and other things work pretty well. I think it has to be on the internal to take advantage of the SSD.

I'm talking about "Optimized for X/S" games. Those HAVE to be played on internal. I have a portable HDD too (2TB) and while I can play a lot of games on it, anything that gets a major X/S upgrade is deemed too slow for the drive and must be played on the internal.

KingBrave

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking about "Optimized for X/S" games. Those HAVE to be played on internal. I have a portable HDD too (2TB) and while I can play a lot of games on it, anything that gets a major X/S upgrade is deemed too slow for the drive and must be played on the internal.
Sorry, I just looked to make sure and the games I thought were on one of my externals were actually on the internal. I don't remember moving them. Sorry.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
So, I'm still in love with my Xbox Series X BUT I've been having a weird issue lately: Even when the console is set to "power saving" it doesn't shut down completely when using the long press of the guide button --> shut down. I always have to go to settings and select "full shutdown". Quite annoying tbh as I've definitely killed the power at least once while the console was still running (without me knowing as that thing so so damn silent lol).

Anyone else have this issue? I feel like it might have something to do with ongoing downloads that the console wants to finish?

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
So, I'm still in love with my Xbox Series X BUT I've been having a weird issue lately: Even when the console is set to "power saving" it doesn't shut down completely when using the long press of the guide button --> shut down. I always have to go to settings and select "full shutdown". Quite annoying tbh as I've definitely killed the power at least once while the console was still running (without me knowing as that thing so so damn silent lol).

Anyone else have this issue? I feel like it might have something to do with ongoing downloads that the console wants to finish?

I think the hold guide button > shut down always puts it into a low powered state. Power saving is just a lower state than instant on where it can't download updates etc.

But I always go to System > Full shutdown cause I don't like leaving things on overnight so I've not really tested either and might be talking out my ass.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
I think the hold guide button > shut down always puts it into a low powered state. Power saving is just a lower state than instant on where it can't download updates etc.

But I always go to System > Full shutdown cause I don't like leaving things on overnight so I've not really tested either and might be talking out my ass.
Huh! That would certainly be new to me. It really feels like things were different until recently, when I noticed this.

But thanks, if I can't find a different fix I'll just continue the full shutdown thing. It's not that big of a deal anyway, more something I need to get used to.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
Huh! That would certainly be new to me. It really feels like things were different until recently, when I noticed this.

But thanks, if I can't find a different fix I'll just continue the full shutdown thing. It's not that big of a deal anyway, more something I need to get used to.
Something is definitely different because when I go into my system and hit turn off and it shut completely down I don't use Quickstart I've noticed that the system will install updates in the middle of the night sometimes when I know I'm not on the machine and I haven't done it and that's in power saving mode so I think unless you hit the full shut down option it's still puts it in some kind of state that it can take updates but I'm not 100% sure on that but I know that it's doing updates in times when I'm not using the system even though I'm not using power saving

daprodigalson

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody 'preorder' (didn't know you preordered something that was alll ready out lol) their xbox with all access through Game UK last week? If so, when are you expecting it to arrive?

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone having an issue still with the Youtube app on the Series X with audio randomly desyncing from certain videos. Though it would be fixed by now but doesn't seem so, it's getting annoying...

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Is anyone having an issue still with the Youtube app on the Series X with audio randomly desyncing from certain videos. Though it would be fixed by now but doesn't seem so, it's getting annoying...
Never had this problem on SX but on PC and mobile. I don't think it has anything to do with a specific app, probably just a YT problem in general.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some last gen updated games can be played from external HDD even if they are Optimized for X/S, like Halo MCC, Ori.
I don't know about Fortnite but at least some can.

To see if a game can be played from external HDD, manage the game, then open the File information, if you see "XboxGen9Aware" somewhere it's optimized but can be run from external HDD.

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm using the new Xbox Series X controller for my PC and while i love the controller it eats through batteries like an electronic car. Even though i'm using rechargable Eneloop batteries i have to change them so often that it's a small hassle. I would expect the controller lasts about 1/3 the time of the Xbox One-controller. And maybe 1/6 of a charged Switch controller.

I wonder if they will fix this in a firmware update in the future.. i can't wrap my hand around what the controller is doing that uses so much more juice than last generations controller.

A little surprised this isn't talked about more.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
I'm using the new Xbox Series X controller for my PC and while i love the controller it eats through batteries like an electronic car. Even though i'm using rechargable Eneloop batteries i have to change them so often that it's a small hassle. I would expect the controller lasts about 1/3 the time of the Xbox One-controller. And maybe 1/6 of a charged Switch controller.

I wonder if they will fix this in a firmware update in the future.. i can't wrap my hand around what the controller is doing that uses so much more juice than last generations controller.

Are you connecting to the PC via BT? Not sure if that uses more juice than MS wireless protocol does although I wouldn't expect such a difference even then.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Anybody 'preorder' (didn't know you preordered something that was alll ready out lol) their xbox with all access through Game UK last week? If so, when are you expecting it to arrive?

Me and my friend both ordered one too and have yet to have it ship. It states on the site that all orders after the 25th will ship by this Friday.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK

What mah are the eneloops? I havent noticed they're particularly thirsty controllers

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Ah, that's wack! I didn't realize it was for people in the preview program. I thought they mentioned that the FPS Boost icon was gonna show up in a future update (which we get as part of the preview program) but that you didn't need that to show up to get 60FPS in those games anyway (if you weren't in the program). Well, glad you resolved that anyway!
The FPS boost for FC4 and WD2 is only for for preview members? I thought it was available to everyone now.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
My baby is arrived.

20210302_144228oejtz.jpg

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Is it normal in the first Ori game for the main character's animations to appear to be at half the framerate of everything else(on XSX)? It's really jarring. I don't recall it being this way on the Switch version, but I only played that on a small screen so maybe I just didn't notice it.

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Never had this problem on SX but on PC and mobile. I don't think it has anything to do with a specific app, probably just a YT problem in general.
I use the YT app on my XSX a lot, and I've never noticed this problem.

Yeah, doesn't seem super widespread but a couple of people got the issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxinside...youtube_app_on_series_x_is_broken_sound_goes/

Might just try to remove and reinstall the app then or remove myself from preview maybe?

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
Is it normal in the first Ori game for the main character's animations to appear to be at half the framerate of everything else(on XSX)? It's really jarring. I don't recall it being this way on the Switch version, but I only played that on a small screen so maybe I just didn't notice it.

I recently played Will of the wisps on series X and didn't see what you are describing.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
Some last gen updated games can be played from external HDD even if they are Optimized for X/S, like Halo MCC, Ori.
I don't know about Fortnite but at least some can.

To see if a game can be played from external HDD, manage the game, then open the File information, if you see "XboxGen9Aware" somewhere it's optimized but can be run from external HDD.

Thanks for the tip!!

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
Enjoy dude!!! I love mine, sometimes I'm floored that a system that small, that sexy can run the games the way it does...for 300 bucks.

Nice! It's a great little machine :)

Awesome, im loving mine since i got it

Thank you.

This little guy is doing very big things, I'm digging the Gamepass and the optimized games gives awesome performances.

Series S is absolutely best partner to my PS5.

daprodigalson

Oct 27, 2017
Me and my friend both ordered one too and have yet to have it ship. It states on the site that all orders after the 25th will ship by this Friday.

Checked their site and it gives 2different time frames.... Don't remember seeing different delivery options when I ordered, but will assume mine will be the later of the 2 dates. Thanks for the sign post :)

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I just bootet the first Ori game, and while the animations of Ori seem to be not as smooth as in WotW, I don't think they are half the framerate. Rather seems to me that some animations (summersault, spin) don't use as many frames as in part 2. But I don't think Ori is running at half the framerate all the time.