• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Microsoft is just terrible when it comes to audio on their consoles.

Xbox One S/X simply could not process their Atmos upmixing tech properly and choked( especially in BC games )... it's mostly fixed on XSX but still not good enough. Their own Halo MCC has crackling audio in it's damn intro video file and menus.

It was worse at launch and i think they fixed some issues with first firmware update but it's still not there, and some games just do not deal with audio properly( Halo MCC, Watch Dogs Legion )

I think they just do not dedicate enough CPU resources to audio processing or something else of this kind...
Halo MCC is one of the games that I hear the crackling in. As you said, the entire intro video is full of it, and when I sit in the games main menu I can hear it repeat over and over. What's bothersome to me is that it isn't predictable when it will happen in the main OS, and the fact that GTA5 starts with static in the intro video on my console, but when I watch old streams of the game, the streamer doesn't have the audio glitches or the video glitches. If MS support appeared to be at least competent, I'd feel better that maybe they're going to address it, but I wasn't impressed with their support at all. It's a shame too, because I love the console otherwise more than my PS5, but I'm not keeping a 500 dollar device with these issues.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
would definitely contact MS about repair/replacement then, that is definitely not normal
I thought that too when it happened with my first two Series Xs. This is the third. My assumption is it has something to do with the OS not managing memory properly in regards to Quick Resume etc. I have no idea actually. I've taken all of my own hardware out of the equation and it still does the same thing. If I read later that they finally addressed it, I'll buy one again.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
So, how's the Seagate expansion card holding up? Thinking of getting one. I have a 4 TB external drive and I'm still running low on space...but I do have over 330 games installed...heh. Still, that extra 4TB storage doesn't help with playing the new stuff.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
So, how's the Seagate expansion card holding up? Thinking of getting one. I have a 4 TB external drive and I'm still running low on space...but I do have over 330 games installed...heh. Still, that extra 4TB storage doesn't help with playing the new stuff.
I haven't had any issues with it. I've been doing a lot of transferring games from internal to expansion card, then back to internal. Played the games from internal and expansion card. No issues so far.

Oct 29, 2017
Can anyone with GTA 5 please start it and tell me if you see static in the opening montage (when the sirens are going off).

Nothing I do removes the intermittent crackling audio I hear in the menu system and in some games. It's aggravating me to no end. This is the second XSX that has done it. I changed every cable, took networking out of the equation, used a different power source, went to a family members house and used their tv. Problem never stops. It happens via hdmi audio, headset port on the controller, and wireless audio via the USB port. I see many other people on Reddit and MS own support site but no one has figured it out. The problem goes back to One S and One X, so I have zero hope MS cares about it. I love this console more than my PS5, but I need to return it. MS support was no help at all.
I have a similar glitch but only with headphones connected to the controller. I found a "work-around", where I turn the mixer all the way up (which makes sound unbearably loud), which removes crackling/static. I've read numerous other people having the same sort of audio issues.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I have a similar glitch but only with headphones connected to the controller. I found a "work-around", where I turn the mixer all the way up (which makes sound unbearably loud), which removes crackling/static. I've read numerous other people having the same sort of audio issues.
I'm not sure that's removing the problem or just masking it. I wish mine was limited to just the headphone jack on the controller. For me, it happens from all audio sources (HDMI, USB, controller).

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure that's removing the problem or just masking it. I wish mine was limited to just the headphone jack on the controller. For me, it happens from all audio sources (HDMI, USB, controller).
Could be. For me it's almost like a feedback thing, where pushing buttons changes the crackling.

Are you feeding audio straight to your TV with HDMI/USB, or through a receiver?

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Could be. For me it's almost like a feedback thing, where pushing buttons changes the crackling.

Are you feeding audio straight to your TV with HDMI/USB, or through a receiver?
HDMI right into the TV. Audio on the TV then has the static. If I run a headphone jack out of the tv, that audio has the same static. If I use a USB DAC, it too has the static. If I use a USB transceiver for wireless headphones, static as well. The console's OS is generating the static.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't had any issues with it. I've been doing a lot of transferring games from internal to expansion card, then back to internal. Played the games from internal and expansion card. No issues so far.
Just curious...why are you transferring from internal to the expansion then back to the internal? All games function and run/load exactly the same regardless if the game is on the internal or the expansion SSD.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
HDMI right into the TV. Audio on the TV then has the static. If I run a headphone jack out of the tv, that audio has the same static. If I use a USB DAC, it too has the static. If I use a USB transceiver for wireless headphones, static as well. The console's OS is generating the static.
At this point, I'd even look at grounding issues in your power outlets, as one possibility.

Grounding issues mean that the devices do not share the same voltage reference, usually because they are connected to different circuits/breakers in the house. 2 outlets next to each other might be on different circuits to separate the load.

Are you using all of them connected to the same multiplug?

The 3rd prong is for excess electricity to be dumped directly to ground, so that's for safety only.

Last edited:

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
At this point, I'd even look at grounding issues in your power outlets, as one possibility.

Grounding issues mean that the devices do not share the same voltage reference, usually because they are connected to different circuits/breakers in the house. 2 outlets next to each other might be on different circuits to separate the load.

Are you using all of them connected to the same multiplug?

The 3rd prong is for excess electricity to be dumped directly to ground, so that's for safety only.
I thought of that as well and brought it to someone else's house. Same issue. Plugged into the wall directly and also into a multi plug. Still persists.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone know how to transfer the friends from a main xbox account to a child account?

My son has basically taken over my xbox account over the years as I've played less and he's played more. 90% of the friends are now his friends and I'd like to regain some control of my account and give him his own which I can also add parental controls to (need to limit his game time because it's becoming a problem).

I've already created the account and set up all of the parental controls but what I can't figure out is how to migrate friends over. I can't seem to find any direct answers to this questions online either. Does anyone know if it's possible to migrate them automatically or will he have to manually add them one by one?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how to transfer the friends from a main xbox account to a child account?

My son has basically taken over my xbox account over the years as I've played less and he's played more. 90% of the friends are now his friends and I'd like to regain some control of my account and give him his own which I can also add parental controls to (need to limit his game time because it's becoming a problem).

I've already created the account and set up all of the parental controls but what I can't figure out is how to migrate friends over. I can't seem to find any direct answers to this questions online either. Does anyone know if it's possible to migrate them automatically or will he have to manually add them one by one?
Manually add one by one.

TK-421

Nov 30, 2017
Death Star
I think they just do not dedicate enough CPU resources to audio processing or something else of this kind...

They confirmed pre-launch they had dedicated hardware for audio though?

news.xbox.com

Defining the Next Generation: An Xbox Series X|S Technology Glossary - Xbox Wire

[Editor’s Note: Updated on 10/21 at 11AM to ensure it is now reflective of the capabilities across both of our next-gen Xbox consoles following the unveil of Xbox Series S.] As we enter a new generation of console gaming with Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, we’ve made a number of technology...

Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S have custom audio hardware to offload audio processing from the CPU, dramatically improving the accessibility, quality and performance of these immersive experiences.

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017

news.xbox.com

Defining the Next Generation: An Xbox Series X|S Technology Glossary - Xbox Wire

[Editor’s Note: Updated on 10/21 at 11AM to ensure it is now reflective of the capabilities across both of our next-gen Xbox consoles following the unveil of Xbox Series S.] As we enter a new generation of console gaming with Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, we’ve made a number of technology...

they also had dedicated hardware In the Xbox one

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017

news.xbox.com

In the DF interview about Ori and the Will of the Wisps they mention that they are using 2 CPU cores for Wwise( audio middleware ) and also CPU resources in general mentioned in that audio section.

Maybe software side for interaction with dedicated hardware audio chip is not ready, maybe something else. I don't know, but it's a fact that their consoles struggle with audio either because of bugs or something else.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Been running Destiny 2 and SAO: Alicization off it no problem. Whatever can be external is on my external SSD.\

SAO actually has better loading from internal/storage card than even external SSD.

DarkMage619

Dec 1, 2017
Guys has anyone had any random shutdowns with their Series X. I've had it twice now since launch date (so not enough to be overly concerned).
Console just shuts down, clears the quick resume queue and I need to reboot it. Really weird.
I've had an XSX shut off while playing and I was never able to turn it on again. The next one has shut down twice while playing but rebooted normally. My XSX also will no longer switch inputs or relabel those input when I turn the system on. Makes me sad.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Been running Destiny 2 and SAO: Alicization off it no problem. Whatever can be external is on my external SSD.\

SAO actually has better loading from internal/storage card than even external SSD.
Nice!

Well, I just ordered one along with an external drive for my PlayStation 4. Should be here in a few hours!

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I was thinking about making a thread about this but it's more of a journal post than anything, but I really wished the Xbox supported some basic PC apps natively. Specifically, Microsoft office (word, OneNote, excel, PP), and maybe Adobe Acrobat. I have to replace my Chromebook and although I do have PC's in my house, they're usually all in use. Everyone has been relying on PC more with the current climate.

Xbox with basic apps would probably prevent me from spending money on a Chromebook or surface, and just get a monitor instead. I don't need windows I just need basic apps. I know I can use an online version through the browser but I'd rather not.

I usually play games for a short while than switch to writing, would be awesome if it happens soon

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Returned my XSX this morning due to the audio static issue. I could have at least masked it in the menu system by turning off menu sounds, but MS doesn't appear to allow that. Tons of people at AVSforum have the same problem going back to last gen Xboxes and there's still no fix, so back it went. Real shame because otherwise I loved it, but I'm not paying 500 dollars for something with an issue that annoying.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Returned my XSX this morning due to the audio static issue. I could have at least masked it in the menu system by turning off menu sounds, but MS doesn't appear to allow that. Tons of people at AVSforum have the same problem going back to last gen Xboxes and there's still no fix, so back it went. Real shame because otherwise I loved it, but I'm not paying 500 dollars for something with an issue that annoying.

returned for a dashboard audio issue?

edit: sounds like your issue is pretty rough. I probably would have done the same and I did not mean to make light of it.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The expansion card arrived!

LYSd2Bs.jpg

2dCSZdr.jpg

D8rYaki.gif

Munki

Apr 30, 2019
I think quick resume is a great concept, but I wish they would turn it off until it works 100% of the time.

I have been having so many issues with quick resume when playing Immortals Fenyx Rising it's getting to the point of being a nuisance.
I agree, or at least be able to manually choose to deactivate the feature for specific game(s).

Last edited:

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
im loving wasteland 3 on my one x but the loading times are a bit longer that i liked. has anyone played it on series x and can tell me if they are significantly shorter?

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I know I've fussed about it here before, but Quick Resume may as well not exist with the games I'm currently playing.

Forza Horizon 4
Red Dead Redemption (360)
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Haven

Of all the above, only Haven attempted to QR, and it crashed (lol).
None of them are bothering now, I actually forgot about QR altogether until I saw the logo appear once when I loaded up Haven.

It worked perfectly the first few days, including AC Odyssey, so not sure what happened between then and now. I've never seen it work on any 360 game though.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Auto HDR is another feature that I didn't give much thought before getting my Xbox but I'm pretty impressed by it. I tried Dead Cells on my PS5 today after playing on my Series S the whole week, and it looks pretty drab and dim in comparison. Auto HDR really makes that game pop. It has so many bursts of color.

I know I've fussed about it here before, but Quick Resume may as well not exist with the games I'm currently playing.

Forza Horizon 4
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Haven

None of them are bothering now, I actually forgot about QR altogether until I saw the logo appear once when I loaded up Haven.

It worked perfectly the first few days, including AC Odyssey, so not sure what happened between then and now. I've never seen it work on any 360 game though.

Interesting. FH4 always Quick Resumes for me, even if I don't play it for several days. The Messenger on the other hand used to Quick Resume perfectly and now it won't ever do it.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
QR is a great feature but it is a bit random. Love having it for BF5 at the moment. SERIES X is swift to load but just cutting out that early stuff is great.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020

Forza Horizon 4
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Haven

Not only does QR work with Horizon 4, but it even reconnects to the online server upon restart. Its how every online game should function.

People requesting the choice to enable QR to be off on some games know that you can already manually not use it, right? When you're done playing, close the game instead of leaving it running.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Interesting. FH4 always Quick Resumes for me, even if I don't play it for several days. The Messenger on the other hand used to Quick Resume perfectly and now it won't ever do it.
Not only does QR work with Horizon 4, but it even reconnects to the online server upon restart. Its how every online game should function.
Bizarre.

Maybe I just need to give the X a good full reset.

Edit much later:
Welp, a full powercycle and now FH4, Haven and AC Odyssey all quick resumed as normal (bouncing around between the three of them a few times to be sure)
No idea how this resolved it, but glad it did!

Last edited:

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking to finally buy a proper headset for Xbox. But I'm less interested in multiplayer voice chat, and more interested in hearing game audio, at high fidelity and low latency, piped into the headset. Sometimes I want to play Xbox but my wife is busy working or doing something else, and I'm hoping I can play without disturbing her.

I'm thinking of getting this one: SteelSeries Arctis 9X Wireless Gaming Headset – Integrated Xbox Wireless + Bluetooth – 20+ Hour Battery Life – for Xbox One and Series X: xbox one: Computer and Video Games - Amazon.ca

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like there was a system update last night - anyone have any detailed patch notes? Looks like the regular 'optimizations' from what i could find.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Looks like there was a system update last night - anyone have any detailed patch notes? Looks like the regular 'optimizations' from what i could find.

I think Microsoft has a record for being pretty transparent with specific experience fixes, so if all they say is optimizations/improved stability, that probably is it.

I kinda hope that the Xbox Series X finally saves my HDR Tuning. It sometimes saves it but I've gone back in several times only to find out it reset to default. Ever since I got Dirt 5, which actually loads up the system-side HDR profile, I keep noticing every once in a while that Dirt 5 looks extra washed out and that's almost always been an indication that my HDR tuning switched back to default. :/

Oct 27, 2017
Budapest
I have been trying to download the latest 613 mb Yakuza Like a Dragon patch for the last 15 minutes.

I double checked and no games are running, I even did a super hardcore restart by holding down the power button for several seconds and I am super sure that it is not my internet that is at fault as all my other devices are working without issues.

I have been experiencing downloads stopping and restarting with laughable speeds since I got the console for Christmas.
I also had the controller disconnection issue in the middle of the game - fortunately only once.

Great experience overall.

Edit: Even the console's very own speed test is stating that I have 1187 Mbps DL speed, while the patch is stuck in the background.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else having trouble getting the Series X to recognize the expansion card? I tried restarting the console and it still won't recognize it.
I haven't had issues but occasionally I'll get a message that says something like "We see the expansion card but the connection is weak. Please reinsert the card".

This has only happened when I've moved the card from one console to another but it seems like it needs to be insert firmly to work correctly. Kind of sounds like you've tried it a couple times though. Hopefully it's the card and not the console.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
I haven't had issues but occasionally I'll get a message that says something like "We see the expansion card but the connection is weak. Please reinsert the card".

This has only happened when I've moved the card from one console to another but it seems like it needs to be insert firmly to work correctly. Kind of sounds like you've tried it a couple times though. Hopefully it's the card and not the console.
I returned it and got another one, and now it works fine. Seems like it was just a defective card.

jdawg

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
Is there a way to turn off it asking for your password everytime you start the Xbox? A little annoying.

And I remember there was apparently a demo of Song of Iron on the Xbox, wasn't able to find. Has that been taken off? That game looks incredible.