• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Would it be better for me to play dragon age inquisition on the PS4 or the xbox one version on the series X?

I already have it installed on the ps4 and I heard it's 1080p whereas I'd have to download the xbox ver from gamepass and it's supposed to be 900p.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm currently replaying dragon age origins on the series X and the load times are basically non existent. At most 1 second to load a huge map. It's crazy cos I remember how long shit took when I first played it on the ps3. If inquisition on the series X provides this much of an improvement on load times id prefer to play that ver.
the ssd load times make up for any resolution differences IMO. I struggled through tomb raider ultimate edition recently, I forgot just how rough the early days of xbox one were lol

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
A trick that I've done to stream gameplay to a friend with pretty much zero latency is to remote play either of my consoles from my PC, and then sharescreen the window in a Zoom call. Quality is not the best, but latency is like 50ms. We played through Until Dawn this way (my friend made all the choices) and we're gonna try it with Man of Medan on my Series S next.

Not the most elegant solution, but I don't have a capture card so this works in a pinch.

Velg

Jan 6, 2018
A trick that I've done to stream gameplay to a friend with pretty much zero latency is to remote play either of my consoles from my PC, and then sharescreen the window in a Zoom call. Quality is not the best, but latency is like 50ms. We played through Until Danw this way (my friend made all the choices) and we're gonna try it with Man of Medan on my Series S next.

Not the most elegant solution, but I don't have a capture card so this works in a pinch.
Nice idea. Will set something like this up. Thank you 😊

JeffG

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
Would it be better for me to play dragon age inquisition on the PS4 or the xbox one version on the series X?

I already have it installed on the ps4 and I heard it's 1080p whereas I'd have to download the xbox ver from gamepass and it's supposed to be 900p.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm currently replaying dragon age origins on the series X and the load times are basically non existent. At most 1 second to load a huge map. It's crazy cos I remember how long shit took when I first played it on the ps3. If inquisition on the series X provides this much of an improvement on load times id prefer to play that ver.
You will get 1080p on the PS4 and 900P with Auto HDR on the series x (and fast loads)

Performance was not bad on the base machines (pretty solid 30)

So a softer image with fast loads and fake HDR would be what I would pick. But PS4 would be fine too

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Just a note that the Series S plays very nice with external HDDs.

I got myself an external 1 TB HDD on a BF sale. Now I have a few Series S|X enhanced games on the internal storage and LOTS of games installed on the HDD. They run great and the loading is fast enough I see no reason to buy an SSD extension. Of course, this might change in the future when we get lots of Series S|X exclusive games, but I think my current setup will keep me happy for a long time.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Just a note that the Series S plays very nice with external HDDs.

I got myself an external 1 TB HDD on a BF sale. Now I have a few Series S|X enhanced games on the internal storage and LOTS of games installed on the HDD. They run great and the loading is fast enough I see no reason to buy an SSD extension. Of course, this might change in the future when we get lots of Series S|X exclusive games, but I think my current setup will keep me happy for a long time.

That's good to hear. I also ordered an external HDD for my series S since I managed to fill the internal SSD in a day, hah. And even if Series S|X games can't be played off the external drive, they can still be stored there which I really appreciate.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Cold storage seems to be the perfect mid-point between cost and usability, honestly.

Absolutely. Being able to move MCC onto an external feels like a weight off my shoulders. Sure, it takes a good 25 minutes to move it back if I need to play it, but that's a lot faster than I could download it on my 100mbps connection.

I really hope the PS5 gets an option for cold-storing PS5 games on externals as well. I get unduly amounts of anxiety because I have no choice but to delete games. Literally nowhere to move them.

Jul 26, 2018
For the last week AC Odyssey has been booting from the ground, like there's no quick resume, even tho quick resume used to work like a charm. I'd anyone having a similar issue with this game?

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Is there a list anywhere of all the Xbox/360/One exclusives that are on Game Pass?

Really tempted by the £1 for 3 months deal but want to try and plan what to play and in what order so as to make the most of it heh

Omniblack

Jul 10, 2020
Anyone know of any good tower defense game in game pass/in current sale. I really have the itch for one this weekend.

Mar 6, 2019
Gears Hivebusters is a must play, even if you are a bit fatigued from the series. It out the hype back into Gears for me. Here is a little tribute I made for it

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Guys has anyone had any random shutdowns with their Series X. I've had it twice now since launch date (so not enough to be overly concerned).
Console just shuts down, clears the quick resume queue and I need to reboot it. Really weird.

Simbo

Oct 27, 2017
Guys has anyone had any random shutdowns with their Series X. I've had it twice now since launch date (so not enough to be overly concerned).
Console just shuts down, clears the quick resume queue and I need to reboot it. Really weird.

My son has had one random shutdown since he got his on Xmas day. He was playing Minecraft and it simply shut off. I switched it back on straight away and it's been fine since but was a little worrying.

Simbo

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else here play Destiny 2?

I've had my console since launch but over the last week or so Destiny 2 crashes / freezes randomly pretty much every time I play it. I have to close the app down and then it's fine for the rest of my session.

I haven't had this problem with any other games, only Destiny.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else here play Destiny 2?

I've had my console since launch but over the last week or so Destiny 2 crashes / freezes randomly pretty much every time I play it. I have to close the app down and then it's fine for the rest of my session.

I haven't had this problem with any other games, only Destiny.
Yeah, when I have left the game on standby for a very long time, the music doesn't play and it crashed on me once. Or when it Quick Resumes after a day or two of not playing.

I just make sure to close it and reopen it when I don't hear the music.

And yes, only game for me with this issue is Destiny.

jamie2497

Dec 31, 2020
Is anyone with a Series S able to tell me if it should be able to do game capture in 4k HDR? The only options I have are 720 sdr and 1080 sdr even though the Xbox recognises my TV supports 4K HDR.

Thanks

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
My son has had one random shutdown since he got his on Xmas day. He was playing Minecraft and it simply shut off. I switched it back on straight away and it's been fine since but was a little worrying.
Ye its so weird. Feels like a software crash more than anything. I know for a fact that it wasn't overheating as it out in the open.

Hope its nothing.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I got an external HDD for my Series S yesterday and when the console is off (using instant on) the drive wakes up and spins for a second about every minute or so. It has been doing it for hours, long after it finished downloading everything I queued up.

Anyone else experienced this issue? It's pretty annoying because of the noise, and I also feel it'll induce additional wear on the drive.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got an external HDD for my Series S yesterday and when the console is off (using instant on) the drive wakes up and spins for a second about every minute or so. It has been doing it for hours, long after it finished downloading everything I queued up.

Anyone else experienced this issue? It's pretty annoying because of the noise, and I also feel it'll induce additional wear on the drive.
I had this issue since the first Xbox One, so I ended up disabling the option to turn off storage when the console is in rest mode. Even when there's nothing to download it kept waking up and down.
My HDD makes too much noise when spinning up, I prefer letting it spinning all the time, drives are made to run, not spin down/up every 5 minutes.

Note : if you change the setting, you have to restart the console to make it work.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Man, Quick Resume is such a crapshoot. For a week I was able to quick resume perfectly between Gears Tactics and The Messenger. Now the Messenger won't quick resume at all.

Which game will Quick Resume and for how long feels almost random. In fact the only game I can consistently get to Quick Resume is Gears Tactics.

The feature is cool as hell, but it's useless if it's not reliable and predictable. They need to give us a way to "pin" games so that they always quick resume and then warn us that a game will be removed from Quick Resume when we open another. As it's stands, it's just a cool novelty that may, or may not work 50% of the time.

I had this issue since the first Xbox One, so I ended up disabling the option to turn off storage when the console is in rest mode. Even when there's nothing to download it kept waking up and down.
My HDD makes too much noise when spinning up, I prefer letting it spinning all the time, drives are made to run, not spin down/up every 5 minutes.

Note : if you change the setting, you have to restart the console to make it work.

Thanks! That seems to have fixed it, at least for the time being.

venom slime

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
It's been nearly a week since I got my Series X and I couldn't be happier. The thing that impressed me the most at first was just how quiet the system is. Coming from a PS4 the difference is substancial. Also, I haven't used Xbox controllers since the 360 era and I really missed the asymmetrical design of the analog sticks. The controller in general feels great too, and I'm especially happy with the d-pad (playing Tetris Effect has been a treat). As for the interface and user experience, everything about it is new to be and so far so good. There was a thing where the console still thought I was from the United States after choosing a different location and that was messing with online payments a bit, but it sorted itself out, thankfully. Still doing a lot of digging and discovering the ins and out of the dashboard and settings.

The star of the show has been Game Pass, of course. It's just crazy I get to pick from a library of titles like that. I guess the thing I'm scared about the most is feeling overwhelmed, which is why self control will be crucial! eheh So far, I've been playing Tetris Effect (10/10 game for sure) and HyperDot with my girlfriend, as well as Forza Horizon 4 and Halo: The Master Chief Collection (revisiting Halo CE after so many years). Downloaded a bunch of other stuff too. At this point I'm already regretting having purchased Yakuza: Like a Dragon!

Anyway, I've noticed there is thread dedicated to sharing gamertags and I'll use that as well. But if anyone here wants to add me, feel free! my gamertag is nmonra

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Can't you play mcc from external? Or is that ruled out by being series enhanced?
MCC can be played from the external even if it's Series enhanced.

Yeah, I just tried it and it works.

Forza Horizon 4 and the Touryst didn't. I think Optimized for Series X |S means different things for different games. Some are native Series games and some are still Xbox One games that are Xbox Series "aware".

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I'll echo the sentiments about Quick Resume. It's awesome when it works, but it feels like we're beta testing it for MS. Forza Horizon 4 shows you that even games that are always online (optional) can use Quick Resume too and still reconnect.

Is Hivebusters just part one of a multipart release? It feels like it ended right when shit was getting good.

Deleted member 12317

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I just tried it and it works.

Forza Horizon 4 and the Touryst didn't. I think Optimized for Series X |S means different things for different games. Some are native Series games and some are still Xbox One games that are Xbox Series "aware".
To know if a game can be played from external, highlight it in your games list, press Menu (start) then near the bottom press A on "File informations", if the "ConsoleType" you see is "XboxGen9Aware" it can be played from external, if it's "Sclarlett" it's from internal or Seagate expansion only.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
To know if a game can be played from external, highlight it in your games list, press Menu (start) then near the bottom press A on "File informations", if the "ConsoleType" you see is "XboxGen9Aware" it can be played from external, if it's "Sclarlett" it's from internal or Seagate expansion only.

Ah, that's good to now. So Gen9aware would be Xbox One games that have some sort of tweak to run better on Series consoles.

Deleted member 12317

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah, that's good to now. So Gen9aware would be Xbox One games that have some sort of tweak to run better on Series consoles.
Yes, or games that are on both generations but can also be run from external HDD because speed is not an issue, the latest Ori can be run from external too.
Too bad some games like The Touryst can't, it's not like it would need a SSD to run properly ^^

Apollo123

Banned
Dec 19, 2020
I'm able to turn off my controller if I use the option in the quick menu or if I shutdown the console in the settings menu.
But if I turn off my console with the energy saving on then my controller doesn't turn off too with the console, it just blinks with a lost connection and I have to shut it off myself.
Anyone come across this?

FaultLineBlues

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Jul 14, 2020
Kinda scared at the moment as I tried starting up Sunset Overdrive and my screen just went black, I waited a bit, turned off the console and turned it back on, same result. Held down the power button, same result. Unplugged the console, same result. Now I've unplugged and replugged the HDMI, unplugged the console for an extended period of time and hoping for the best.

FaultLineBlues

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Jul 14, 2020
Kinda scared at the moment as I tried starting up Sunset Overdrive and my screen just went black, I waited a bit, turned off the console and turned it back on, same result. Held down the power button, same result. Unplugged the console, same result. Now I've unplugged and replugged the HDMI, unplugged the console for an extended period of time and hoping for the best.
Phew, update: hard restarting my TV fixed the problem.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Having an issue with Gears Of War 3 on Series X, it wont launch now, trying results in an endless black screen. It worked before as I finished the campaign but even reinstalling the game didnt help.

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Weird. Normally if I play Gears on my different Xbox of boots me out when I play on another console.

This time it didn't and I was able to do things, but canceled it before a match. Quit and reloaded and then it asks me what save I wanted.

Deleted member 68874

Banned
May 10, 2020
Every time I boot up Destiny 2 I get the smart delivery pop up for the preorder DLC lol.

So everytime I have to hit yes and get pushed to the downloads menu. Pretty annoying.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
I have some issue with streaming (Netflix and Disney plus ). I can't watch vidéo on my série x.

Whiteshark05

Oct 28, 2017
After 1 month of ownership my Series X started to have problems. I first noticed it playing Dirt 5. Black specs would randomly appear. Eventually black lines would shot out of objects. I tried 5 more games and they all did pretty much the same thing. NFS Heat also had bright flashing. I could not plays Gears 5 as it would turn the console off. My console was well ventilated. After resetting and reinstalling, I have to return it to Microsoft for a replacement. It should take 14-21 days....hopefully.