• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
One of the most disappointing things to me has been the dashboard.

Being the same experience that I've had on my One X for years now has been a let down, and the resolution being 1080p/non- HDR was already bad on the One X, and now is just unacceptable. I was playing Destiny this afternoon, and when I open the guide, it's jarring how blurry it is. When compared with the experience that the PS5 dashboard offers, it's really, really bad.

Microsoft has been doing a very good job with it's OS. Hopefully we'll see some improvements in this area.

I get the 4K thing but aside from that, I'm appreciative of the return back into the Xbox dash (just got my Series X, been on PS5 since launch). The PS5 Ui is underdeveloped and fees like it's still in beta.

Green

Oct 27, 2017

Being the same experience that I've had on my One X for years now has been a let down, and the resolution being 1080p/non- HDR was already bad on the One X, and now is just unacceptable. I was playing Destiny this afternoon, and when I open the guide, it's jarring how blurry it is. When compared with the experience that the PS5 dashboard offers, it's really, really bad.

Microsoft has been doing a very good job with it's OS. Hopefully we'll see some improvements in this area.

I actually really like the usefulness of the slide in Guide and how little I have to interface with much else. I wouldn't mind an ability to make this a little wider to display more info.

Agreed that it would be much nicer in 4K.

What sort of features would you want besides that?

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

And I cant believe that if I want to record more than 30 seconds I have to opt for 720 sdr, and even then it's 3 mins... But I'm making 1 hour 1080p hdr videos here on PS5..

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

Complete opposite for me unless I'm mistaking something? Though I am new to the Xbox dash, not owning a One, I find it just as snappy as PS5 and much better organized with so many obvious UX tools that Sony regressed on. Though I get the desire for something new with the updated machines(but I'd kill to have the PS4 dash back on PS5 right now...).

Both consoles suffer with HDR issues, but the dash on PS5 clearly goes muted in color range and white scale, while I don't find the same to be the case on Xbox(outside of the scenario tabbing over during gameplay). Auto-HDR actually works decently enough on X, while it's a travesty on PS5. Not finding the X dash blurry on my 4K set though, both look quite sharp but only X looks muted specifically when tabbing over during a game, while PS5 is always muted if HDR is turned on regardless. Blech. I'll take the auto-off on X until both these companies can figure out HDR. Irritated at manually toggling it on PS5.

Oh and the storefront has better filtering and deals/sales tabs, huge bonus points there on X.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Why is it that on PS5 I can record the last full 1 hour, at 1080p hdr, but on Series X it's the last 3 minutes at 720 sdr??

I would presume it's a limitation inherited from the Xbox One OS that they haven't bothered to change (yet), because they considered it low priority. I get the impression that the OS for both new consoles came in pretty hot, based on the buggy features and missing stuff both companies have promised is coming later. The Xbox didn't even have all of the dynamic themes ready for November 10th, lol.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Got through my first weekend of testing out my new Series X, and as a first time Xbox owner I've gotta say I'm really impressed. I got lured into the ecosystem by XGPU PC (wanted a more convenient way to play XGP stuff without dealing with the shit Xbox Windows app) and am super happy with the purchase.

The new controller feels amazing, and it's great that the old play and charge kit works like a charm).

Since I trust MS a lot more than Sony when it comes to BC, loaded up on old stuff that's not available on PC like Guardian Heroes, Radiant Silvergun and various region locked Konami games (MGRR, Lords of Shadow 1&2, Silent Hill). Having EA Play on there is also a huge bonus: I loaded up Fight Night and UFC 3 on there for a Christmas weekend with the family and my cousins had a blast.

I bought Agents of Mayhem in the current sale, as the Steam version crashes a lot on my rig for some reason. I was half expecting it to run like ass because it wasn't specifically X/S enhanced (I was planning to play Horizon 3 on Xbox so I could delete the PC version, but noped out due to the crappy framerate)... but it ran like a dream, a bit fuzzy sure but very tolerable. Is this "Xbox One X enhanced"? Are most XB1 games like this? I also bought CTR and the framerate was dodgy..

My only other major complaint is the Instant On thing - turned off the XSX the other day and was horrified to see the fan still spinning at full speed despite the system being "off". Deactivated that feature in a hurry lol.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Quick question?
I downloaded Minecraft so my son could play with his friends on his bday today. I have an XSX. The experience was pretty choppy. (Even before anyone joined.) like frameskipping when panning around and such.
Is this a known thing? Do I need to alter settings somehow? This is literally the first next gen game I've played that ran not-so-great. Which I found unusual.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Quick question?
I downloaded Minecraft so my son could play with his friends on his bday today. I have an XSX. The experience was pretty choppy. (Even before anyone joined.) like frameskipping when panning around and such.
Is this a known thing? Do I need to alter settings somehow? This is literally the first next gen game I've played that ran not-so-great. Which I found unusual.

Weird. Maybe it's network based? I think a server was sending and receiving data even when no one had joined the game, if you started a online map. Try fully closing the game (Xbox button -> I think you press the two-screens button and then select "close game" or something) and starting it again.

I played Minecraft today on my Series S and it was running at 60fps without any dips.

Apr 3, 2018
I asked this in the main Xbox thread but I'll post it here too:

Anyone storing their X vertically in a Kallax shelf? There's 1.5" or so of clearance from the top of the console to the top of the cubicle, and the front/back of the cubicle are open.

Should I be worried about ventilation? Just moved it there tonight and haven't really played around with it to test.

Geeker

May 11, 2019
wow, just played some Hivebusters using keyboard and mouse. What a transformational experience and really makes me wish all games would have similar support.

Is anyone aware of what MS' ambitions are in this area? If more games can follow in Gears 5's footsteps then the need for a gaming pc is vastly diminished

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I asked this in the main Xbox thread but I'll post it here too:

Anyone storing their X vertically in a Kallax shelf? There's 1.5" or so of clearance from the top of the console to the top of the cubicle, and the front/back of the cubicle are open.

Should I be worried about ventilation? Just moved it there tonight and haven't really played around with it to test.
Yeah, I wouldn't do that, the warm air is not going to be able to freely rise due to the shelf above and could accumulate to the point of it being sucked in again by the machine which is not ideal. I suspect it could depend a lot on the kind of ventilation you have in your room, though.
On such a shelf i would place it laying down with the perforated top facing outwards of the shelf so it sucks in air from behind the shelf and it exhausts into the room.

Link-182

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone's been having trouble with random series x wifi disconnects - check your router for a firmware update. Updated mine a few days ago and have had no problems since!

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having trouble finding a good answer for this so hopefully someone here might have some insight.

Simple query really, how is 360 backwards compatibility on a series S? I recall that an Xbox One X was notable for sprucing up 360 titles somewhat, so on paper I'd like ho think that series S adds some boons, but I also feel like I'm maybe thinking over optimistically on the idea that a series s can boost performance on older titles.
A few konami and sega titles in the current sale have my attention as my PS3 is basically unusable now.

Oct 29, 2017
Had my Series X since launch, but running into a new issue. Basically, my controller stops working. Light shows it's connected, but nothing. I can take the batteries out, start it up, it connects, nothing. I have to restart the entire console to regain connectivity.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having trouble finding a good answer for this so hopefully someone here might have some insight.

Simple query really, how is 360 backwards compatibility on a series S? I recall that an Xbox One X was notable for sprucing up 360 titles somewhat, so on paper I'd like ho think that series S adds some boons, but I also feel like I'm maybe thinking over optimistically on the idea that a series s can boost performance on older titles.
A few konami and sega titles in the current sale have my attention as my PS3 is basically unusable now.

S does wonders for 360 games. You get a resolution boost to 1440p which really helps clean up the visuals on some of the older titles. I say this as a Series S owner. I can't begin to describe how good this thing is for the price.

Don't just take my word for it though.

Eurogamer

Kicking off with games running on the vintage 2001 Xbox - the 'OG' machine - we've confirmed that Xbox Series S will run these games at an enhanced resolution. There's a 3x boost to resolution on both axes, meaning that titles targeting 480p on the original machine will hit a maximum of 1440p on Series S, presumably with a range of performance benefits. The good news continues with the enhanced Xbox 360 titles that were released for Xbox One X. These games will also be enhanced for Series S, this time running with a 2x2 resolution multiplier, bringing titles that ran at native 720p up to 1440p. While this doesn't match the max 4K we saw on Xbox One X, there is the potential for improved performance elsewhere thanks to the much faster Zen 2 CPU architecture. In scenarios where Xbox One X was limited by its Jaguar CPU cores, Series S has much more headroom.

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.

Should be great. One caveat would be One S mode and not X enhanced.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
S does wonders for 360 games. You get a resolution boost to 1440p which really helps clean up the visuals on some of the older titles. I say this as a Series S owner. I can't begin to describe how good this thing is for the price.

Don't just take my word for it though.

Eurogamer
Should be great. One caveat would be One S mode and not X enhanced.
Okay, good to know, thanks.

Admittedly purely visual perks aren't all that for me considering my aging TV, but thinking long term here that's a nice benefit when I upgrade.

BarryBJeans

Jul 22, 2019
Hey all,

My in-laws gave me some cash for my new XSX for Christmas and told me to pick out a game. I'd rather get a headset since I have a big backlog and live in an apartment building. What would be a good headset to get? Price range is open, but I just spent $500 on the box and would rather not get CRAZY.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I finally beat AC: Valhalla. I liked it. I'm torn on what I want to play next:

Watch Dogs Legion
Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War
Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Gears Tactics
Gears 5: Hivebusters
Hitman 2
Cyberpunk
Call of the Sea
Borderlands 3
Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Jasonofindy

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming you are only playing the Hivebusters DLC, it would be a nice, short interlude after playing a very long game and before diving into another time commitment.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Is there an Xbox discord? After today, I want to dial back resetera browsing for a few reasons but still want some decent news source. Maybe I should just follow the Xbox Era site, though I want to be cautious of following anything to fanboyish. Not saying it is, but fan sites are fan sites.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Any good games coming up in January? I have $20 best buy cash that's expiring on the 31st of Jan so I'm wondering if I should just get Immortals for $10.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017

Watch Dogs Legion
Gears Tactics
Hitman 2
Cyberpunk
Call of the Sea
Borderlands 3

Like a Dragon. I myself haven't played it yet, only watched some videos and it looks excellent.

If you have never played any game from the series before, Yakuza 0 is on Gamepass.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
kD3M7VA.jpg

Does anyone else wish the top row of icons was actually down where the second row is with nothing above it, so you can actually see your background?

Other than My Games & Apps, that second row never has anything I need to immediately see or access.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018

Watch Dogs Legion
Gears Tactics
Hitman 2
Cyberpunk
Call of the Sea
Borderlands 3

Thoroughly recommend Hivebusters (as I have earlier in this thread). It is a great, short (~4-ish hours) experience that would be a brilliant palate cleanser after such a long game.

Best looking game I have played on Series X so far as well.

Robo79

Jan 14, 2018
Had my Series X since launch, but running into a new issue. Basically, my controller stops working. Light shows it's connected, but nothing. I can take the batteries out, start it up, it connects, nothing. I have to restart the entire console to regain connectivity.

Are you using a wireless headset?

I have similar issues where I need to completely disconnect the headset first (hold down the power button to make it resync).

It's fine when I don't use the headset, seen others complain of similar issues with headsets

NeptunePirate

Nov 1, 2017
Cold War was having bad frame rate issues for me, found out that I had to turn on the "Allow YCC 4:2:2" option within my system settings. Now it runs way smoother. Guess that's a problem of not having HDMI 2.1. 😂