• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
Does this happen to anybody in here,when your system dl a patch when the system is on standby and you turn the system on it won't show the patches that dl unless you restart the system.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I have had the Series S for a week now, really impressed with how silent the console is. Still not liking the UI, but it's better than it used to be on early Xbox One.
I also have a bunch of games installed, storage space doesn't seem to be an issue.

So far, I've played:
- Cyberpunk, curiosity got me, played up to the Heist, refunded, it's decent with caveats, I feel like waiting for the next gen patch would be worth it.
Refund process went very smooth and quick.
- Ori and the Blind Forest, not really grabbing me at the moment. Then again, except Hollow Knight, I'm not a fan of Metroidvania.
- Night in the Woods, a very charming and enjoyable game. I love almost all of the characters in it. I've always wanted to play the game, but it seems like it never went on sale.
- The Touryst, just got to the third island, it's ok I guess. I'll probably drop it.

Next I'll play River City Girls and Jedi Fallen Order.
Good times.

If you like tactics games like XCOM, make sure to check out Gears Tactics. Looks great on Series S and it's also 60fps.

I'm loving my Series S so far, with GamePass Ultimate I feel like a kid in a candy store.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, really? Damn. Just for Fallout?
www.resetera.com

Skyrim Special Edition hits Game Pass today and, PSA, console players can use the 60fps mod without disabling achievements. Instructions within!

Big thanks to Dr. Zoidberg for sharing this tip. I've been using it this week and it works a treat! So with Skyrim Special Edition hitting Game Pass (for console!) today, I thought it was worth sharing this little mod tip. As you may or may not know, Skyrim Special Edition supports all sorts of...

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I've had a Series X sitting here and can't decide if I should open it. I have a One X that I can sell, which helps offset the cost.

Reason why I'm on the fence is because my One X barely saw any use. I have a high end gaming PC and Microsoft's big games are all on Windows anyway. Also have a PS5 for those exclusives and any multi-platform games I'd really rather play on console.

That said, I do have Game Pass Ultimate which adds value. There's also the occasional co-op game I'd rather play on the couch instead of in front of the PC. Cross saving between Play Anywhere games is also a bonus.

I think I've typed enough to convince myself to probably keep it at this point.
U prolly made a decision at this point but I have both a pc and the Xbox. Xbox for couch and pc for desk - it's nice having Xbox during wfh

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
If you like tactics games like XCOM, make sure to check out Gears Tactics. Looks great on Series S and it's also 60fps.

I'm loving my Series S so far, with GamePass Ultimate I feel like a kid in a candy store.

My impression is that it's a simpler XCOM, am I right in saying that?
But it's on my list.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
My impression is that it's a simpler XCOM, am I right in saying that?
But it's on my list.

Well, the tactical turned based part of the game is extremely similar to the newer XCOM games, with a Gears twist, of course. I don't know if that part is 'simpler' since I'm not that deep into the game yet.

It lacks the base-building 'strategic' layer, though, and you go from mission to mission, with some customization options and skill trees for your soldiers as you amass your squad.

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Your controller batteries are low.

Gets up and switches.

Controller lost sync and will not pair without me getting back up.

🤦‍♂️

Worse than that. I had to turn the Series X off to reboot and get any comptroller connection.

🤷‍♂️

Actually, the console and controller will no longer pair. What do I do now.

This time I pulled out the power cord.
I believe the controller powered system on, either way they are sync now.

🙇‍♂️

However the power light on the console will not stop blinking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Well they just got about 5 reports through app from me.

After the system powered itself off controller light remained solid. If I turned on controller the light would go solid (no blink, and console is off).

Said a prayer and turned on with console button. Audio is back, and controller sync. I'm a little concerned.

Oct 27, 2017
Well they just got about 5 reports through app from me.

After the system powered itself off controller light remained solid. If I turned on controller the light would go solid (no blink, and console is off).

Said a prayer and turned on with console button. Audio is back, and controller sync. I'm a little concerned.
I've found the UI/OS to be a bit buggy. And the Rewards app crashes 75% of the times I open it.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Your controller batteries are low.

Gets up and switches.

Controller lost sync and will not pair without me getting back up.

🤦‍♂️

Worse than that. I had to turn the Series X off to reboot and get any comptroller connection.

🤷‍♂️

Actually, the console and controller will no longer pair. What do I do now.

This time I pulled out the power cord.
I believe the controller powered system on, either way they are sync now.

🙇‍♂️

However the power light on the console will not stop blinking.
I've had so many annoying controller issues like this. I've had to turn off rest mode and so far it hasnt had any issues yet.

The only way I could get the controller to reconnect was to hard turn off the console multiple times.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
So I got the expansion card for Xmas, but am pretty confused as to how it actually works. I know you can set a default drive, but when you are choosing to install something, can you select the drive from there? From the looks of it you can only choose a default and then move it after it installs.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
So I got the expansion card for Xmas, but am pretty confused as to how it actually works. I know you can set a default drive, but when you are choosing to install something, can you select the drive from there? From the looks of it you can only choose a default and then move it after it installs.
it works as a separate drive.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Correct - but it doesn't take long to move it

Maverick-Swe

Nov 26, 2017
Sweden
I'm bummed to find there are no sales of the Seagate Ssd 1 tb at all to be find atm. At least not here in Europe. Didn't get it for Christmas and don't want to pay 240-250€. If it did go down to 200€ I may push the purchase button.

I don't really need it as I own an external 4 tb hdd connected to my Series X but there's something about it wanting me to get one lol.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of my serie x had the fan on before my
Sleep. Wake up 7h after and it's still on. Rest mode. Other doesn't do that. What the he'll is this

Deleted member 68874

Banned
May 10, 2020
I'm bummed to find there are no sales of the Seagate Ssd 1 tb at all to be find atm. At least not here in Europe. Didn't get it for Christmas and don't want to pay 240-250€. If it did go down to 200€ I may push the purchase button.

I don't really need it as I own an external 4 tb hdd connected to my Series X but there's something about it wanting me to get one lol.
I'm holding off until the SSD's from other companies comeout. Last thing I want is to drop $300 CAD and have a different company comeout with a cheaper option a month later.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
So possibly a stupid question but I haven't owned an xbox in years and I'm genuinely at a loss. My son is using a headset connected through the controller. He wants game audio through the headset and not his monitor but we can't find an option to do this anywhere.

Can anyone help please? Seris X if that makes a difference
Thanks

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So possibly a stupid question but I haven't owned an xbox in years and I'm genuinely at a loss. My son is using a headset connected through the controller. He wants game audio through the headset and not his monitor but we can't find an option to do this anywhere.

Can anyone help please? Seris X if that makes a difference
Thanks
If you press the xbox button on the controller there's a little audio symbol at the bottom like this

xmK33h8.png

That should bring up the audio settings which let you control the volume and chat mix

I think there's some additional options in the Settings > General > Audio output or Sound or something like that

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sleep. Wake up 7h after and it's still on. Rest mode. Other doesn't do that. What the he'll is this
this seems to be quite common and it's because the xbox is left in instant on which is always using power. My guess would be that Microsoft choose to leave the fan spinning because it's quiet and they'd rather do that then try and rely on it being passively cooled. Maybe it uses too much power and that's something that will be optimized? I'm not sure but it does seem like a quirk.

I've never really liked the instant on mode anyway because the one good feature (downloading patches in the background) never works so I just use energy saving. The console boots so quick I don't think it matters now.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
If you press the xbox button on the controller there's a little audio symbol at the bottom like this

That should bring up the audio settings which let you control the volume and chat mix

I think there's some additional options in the Settings > General > Audio output or Sound or something like that
Ok, I've now got sound in the headset but its also coming through the TV as well with no settings for the TV output while the headset is plugged. Guess I'm supposed to just mute the TV? It doesn't auto switch?

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I've now got sound in the headset but its also coming through the TV as well with no settings for the TV output while the headset is plugged. Guess I'm supposed to just mute the TV? It doesn't auto switch?
yeah you just have to turn down the tv. I didn't know that until someone mentioned it in this thread but apparently the PlayStation and other stuff does it automatically but the Xbox has never done that.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
same thing recently started happening to me. fortunately the noise level is like a slight hum I can only hear if everything is off.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
yeah you just have to turn down the tv. I didn't know that until someone mentioned it in this thread but apparently the PlayStation and other stuff does it automatically but the Xbox has never done that.
Yeah we are used to PS just auto muting so figured it must just be a setting we missed. Not a big deal. Thank you for your help. Merry Christmas

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
So I've got an issue where the screen will flicker to black off and on when set to 4K 60fps. This seems to be an issue for many people unfortunately and I don't know how to fix it (other than setting the output to 1080p). Not getting this with the PS5 and that is outputting 4K 60fps. My TV and receiver both support those frames and resolution (in fact the Xbox says it supports them in the video settings).
Thread with hundreds of the same complaints
answers.microsoft.com

SeriesX Blackscreen flickering

My XBOX Series X has intermittent black screen flickering, every 60 seconds, audio goes away too. Happens when using media apps or just in the home screen. I did a factory reset, but the problem won't

Deleted member 12317

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like it depends on the game that is running when putting the console in rest mode, sometimes the fan will go off, sometimes it will stay on.

Personally I don't care that it stays on or off in rest mode, they made it work that way that's all, it's not like the fan is making noise, and on the useful side, it can prevent dust to enter and settle.

Apenheul

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I wasn't planning on getting a next-gen console close after launch, but I'm now seriously considering a Series S. There are a couple of reasons why the Series S currently seems more attractive to me than the Series X or PS5:

1) I'm still using a Panasonic Plasma TV as most of my playtime goes toward handheld and PC gaming;
2) I don't expect to get a lot of use out of BC: I have a relatively small library of 360 and Xbox One games, I can play those on the One or re-purchase digitally;
3) the storage seems fine if I just want to have 2 or 3 Game Pass games installed at a time;
4) I really like the form factor of the Series S;
5) If after a year or two I'd like to upgrade to Series X or get a PS5 then the Series S would make a nice present for my brother;
6) The Series S is incredibly afforable and actually available right now.

Am I overlooking something? Considering these reasons the Series S seems like a no brainer to me.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I wasn't planning on getting a next-gen console close after launch, but I'm now seriously considering a Series S. There are a couple of reasons why the Series S currently seems more attractive to me than the Series X or PS5:

1) I'm still using a Panasonic Plasma TV as most of my playtime goes toward handheld and PC gaming;
2) I don't expect to get a lot of use out of BC: I have a relatively small library of 360 and Xbox One games, I can play those on the One or re-purchase digitally;
3) the storage seems fine if I just want to have 2 or 3 Game Pass games installed at a time;
5) If after a year or two I'd like to upgrade to Series X or get a PS5 then the Series S would make a nice present for my brother;

Am I overlooking something? Considering these reasons the Series S seems like a no brainer to me.
Get the S. Do it.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Sounds like it's ideal for you. I'd say go for it, you'll have a great time. The X/Game Pass combo has really impressed me as a platform and I'd imagine most, if not all, of what has impressed me will carry over to the S.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Sounds like it's ideal for you. I'd say go for it, you'll have a great time. The X/Game Pass combo has really impressed me as a platform and I'd imagine most, if not all, of what has impressed me will carry over to the S.
The one issue with S is that you will actually see sub 1080p with some games. Depending on your tolerance with that, it may be annoying. Also, a lot of times physical games are actually cheaper.

Otherwise, great hardware for the price.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017

I have a Series X, Series S and PS5. And that little Series S is so cool to me and the one that grabs my attention visually the most too. It should be a great console for your needs.

realricochet

Apr 30, 2019
Mexico

You already have enough reasons to have one. I bought mine last week and i have no regrets.

Apenheul

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Thanks for the advice vixolus, Snarfington, StereoVSN, bcatwilly, realricochet! Game price and sub-HD resolution are things I can deal with. Guess I'm ordering a Series S today.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a Series X, Series S and PS5. And that little Series S is so cool to me and the one that grabs my attention visually the most too. It should be a great console for your needs.

I agree there was just something about the Series S that I loved, it's aesthetic was gorgeous. I returned mine once I found a Series X and I enjoy the hell out of it, but i wish it looked like a Series S haha.

venom slime

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
Hey all! First time posting on this thread. Hope you are all doing well! Just ordered a Series X. It wasn't too hard to find, me being from Portugal and all (pretty much a PlayStation country). Super, super excited about getting my hands on it. My original plan was to buy a PS5, but with time and research I ended up realizing that the Series X just offered a better value proposition for me. Game Pass (huge deal), BC, the promise of amazing games from MS's many studios... I really like the vision and strategy they went with. Plus, the console design is wonderful.

It's been a while since I went with Xbox (well, since the 360 era). Lots of catch up to do. Last Halo I played was 3. Last Gears I played was probably 2, and I don't recall the last Forza game I messed with (I guess 2... maybe that was even the last game I played on my 2nd 360 before it died). Anyway, can't wait for it to arrive and be a part of the community here! :)

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Hey all! First time posting on this thread. Hope you are all doing well! Just ordered a Series X. It wasn't too hard to find, me being from Portugal and all (pretty much a PlayStation country). Super, super excited about getting my hands on it. My original plan was to buy a PS5, but with time and research I ended up realizing that the Series X just offered a better value proposition for me. Game Pass (huge deal), BC, the promise of amazing games from MS's many studios... I really like the vision and strategy they went with. Plus, the console design is wonderful.

It's been a while since I went with Xbox (well, since the 360 era). Lots of catch up to do. Last Halo I played was 3. Last Gears I played was probably 2, and I don't recall the last Forza game I messed with (I guess 2... maybe that was even the last game I played on my 2nd 360 before it died). Anyway, can't wait for it to arrive and be a part of the community here! :)

Congrats! Despite opting for both consoles Game Pass is undeniably a great deal, I am similar to you in that I had a 360 but skipped the Xbox One generation. The hardware is simply wonderful, mine is silent and I love the comparatively compact design.

There are so many recommendations however Forza Horizon 4 is a great place to start in my opinion.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
is there any way to know when my recordings will record with no sound? Ruined some of my Hawkmoon clips. Seems it won't stop unless I reset.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I appreciate how you can set a reminder that you that you've been playing for too long now.

Nope, the Series S is awesome (with Game Pass). Go for it.

Maverick-Swe

Nov 26, 2017
Sweden
I'm holding off until the SSD's from other companies comeout. Last thing I want is to drop $300 CAD and have a different company comeout with a cheaper option a month later.
Agree. Third party SSD larger than 1 tb would be great as well with a much lower price tag. The current price tag is more suitable for a 2 tb ssd imo but I know the technology is expensive.
Let's hope for cheaper alternatives next year.

Sep 29, 2020
I didn't see this anywhere when playing with my headphones this morning, are you sure this is true?

It's in the quick menu, sound/music and whatever the option at the bottom is in english. It's greyed out if you don't have headphones plugged in though. It works with headphones through the controller. If you use any kind of usb headset then it might be different.

Arcticfox

Oct 27, 2017
Just received the Series X I ordered from Walmart a month ago. Plugged it in and hit the power button. I hear a beep, the logo light up for a second, then it turns off. Tried different power and hdmi cables, no difference. The fan never spins and there is never any video.

I haven't been following issues with the system. Is there a known fix for something like this? Microsoft support only has a troubleshooting option for does not power on which this issue doesn't fit exactly, and they say there is no chat or phone support for power issues, only ship it in.

The system also has a manufacture date of September which seems odd for a product that sells out immediately.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Just received the Series X I ordered from Walmart a month ago. Plugged it in and hit the power button. I hear a beep, the logo light up for a second, then it turns off. Tried different power and hdmi cables, no difference. The fan never spins and there is never any video.

I haven't been following issues with the system. Is there a known fix for something like this? Microsoft support only has a troubleshooting option for does not power on which this issue doesn't fit exactly, and they say there is no chat or phone support for power issues, only ship it in.

The system also has a manufacture date of September which seems odd for a product that sells out immediately.
That almost sounds like you bought it on Wal Mart marketplace and not directly from WalMart.