• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
My wife gifted me the Series X as my first Xbox. No games yet but it's one sexy system. Any tips to maximize my enjoyment of the system?

Also I read somewhere that I can buy a 3 year EA Play sub and convert it to a 3 year gamepass sub. Is this true or does it only work for Xbox Live Gold Sub?
I dont think EA play 3 year conversion was ever a thing.

The 3 year Gold to GPU is the best way to get Gamepass long term at a reduced price.

As for Tips:

With Gamepass I'd just say that if after a hour a game isnt interesting you dont be afraid to drop it. Too many people waste time playing games they arent really enjoying in order to get their money's worth. With Gamepass the price entry is so low and there are so many games to play, just move on if you arent feeling it with a game.

THIJJ

Oct 26, 2017
Managed to snag a Series S from target. I primarily game on PC, so i went S as a set top/ tv gamepass/ emulation box more than anything.

I like it. This thing is TINY, pictures don't really do it justice. It's a marvel they got all the power they did into it.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
When you die how long is the load time? On xb1x it is literally more than a minute so I stopped playing in hopes it would be much reduced on xbsx

Im not who you're quoting, but I beat the game about a month ago. Load times were around 20-25 seconds or so from what I remember - long compared to other XSX games I was playing at the time but definitely not as long as what you experienced on the one x.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
When you die how long is the load time? On xb1x it is literally more than a minute so I stopped playing in hopes it would be much reduced on xbsx

After seeing the post above I realise I may have underestimated....

Just timed a full load from the main menu into the game and it is just under 20 seconds total. A death load took 12 seconds overall (may vary depending on area I suppose but that is what I measured where I am). Still significantly shorter than last gen.

Oct 25, 2017
Just about given up on getting a new TV. The TCL r635 hits all the right notes but the lack of HDR at 1440p is a huge bummer on Series X. I would've been fine just perma setting my console to 1440p. Mid-range sets are priced just enough that I'd rather save a little more for that CX. Idk, if the Q90T had Dolby Vision, I'd be tempted by that too.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone use their One recently?

I have an X and a VCR still. Haven't touched the X since setting up the Sx.

But the VCR modem was about as responsive as an actual VCR.
I did my One X to update it so I could lend it to someone to play RDR1 on it.

The Elite VCR is in the box and likely remain there.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
That Elite VCR is a memory. I wonder why that hybrid ssd never was mentioned again.
It really didn't improve anything, since the true bottleneck was the CPU. I barely used it when I got it, just some Halo 5. Still using the controller though, works great to this day.

I honestly thought the One X would have a hybrid SSHDD but nope.

Tempted to reopen my One X and put a cheap SSD in it internal.

Oct 29, 2017
I've just set up my Yamaha YAS-209 soundbar and wondering what audio I should select.

The Series X defaulted to 5.1 uncompressed but I can also choose DTS Digital Surround and Dolby Digital.

Is one of those clearly better than the others? Uncompressed sounds good but then would Dolby or DTS Surround be better for effects?

castaction

Oct 28, 2017
Managed to snag a Series S from target. I primarily game on PC, so i went S as a set top/ tv gamepass/ emulation box more than anything.

I like it. This thing is TINY, pictures don't really do it justice. It's a marvel they got all the power they did into it.
Yeah bro is awsome, i have a series x too, yesterday i went to a friend house and i took my series s with me, my friend was impressed how small it is and how it played great

Ravenhawk

Oct 27, 2017

I fired up my X1X while I was waiting on my replacement XSX to arrive, and it was disappointing. I do not know how we dealt with these systems as long as we did. Everything was just...sluggish.

I originally planed on keeping the X1X for my office (Project Scorpio edition), but after using the new system I can't go back.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
do any Series X/S games work with Quick Resume besides ACV?

I have Madden, NBA 2k, Dirt 5, WRC9, Watch dogs Legion, Destiny 2, FH4 and the only ones that work with QR are ACV and FH4 .

and of course al the BC games... wtf MS?

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
Have others encountered the issue where your HDR calibration settings reset every time you power down the console? I'm on a Series X in energy saving mode, and I need to redo those settings every damn time I turn the thing on. Is there a way to lock in the settings that I'm missing?

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Not used my Series S for maybe a week, my son might have but I don't remember him asking to. He just asked to use it downstairs to play Roblox with his mate. As I was unhooking it, I noticed it was really warm - as warm as I'd expect it to be if I was using it. All it's got to do there is sit and wait for me to press the xbox button on my pad, why is it running this hot when it's not even on? What can I do to avoid this?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Not used my Series S for maybe a week, my son might have but I don't remember him asking to. He just asked to use it downstairs to play Roblox with his mate. As I was unhooking it, I noticed it was really warm - as warm as I'd expect it to be if I was using it. All it's got to do there is sit and wait for me to press the xbox button on my pad, why is it running this hot when it's not even on? What can I do to avoid this?
Turn off instant-on

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Getting a series S system soon and I am reading I can't stream a game to my laptop like I can with a PlayStation?

If so that's very disappointing. Sometime the main TVs is being used for not-gaming and I like to be able to keep playing on my laptop.
I used the beta desktop streaming app like two weeks ago and it worked fine. I was able to connect to my SX with no issues.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getting a series S system soon and I am reading I can't stream a game to my laptop like I can with a PlayStation?

If so that's very disappointing. Sometime the main TVs is being used for not-gaming and I like to be able to keep playing on my laptop.
there's a new app but it's in testing. I posted a short guide on to use it now if you want

www.resetera.com

|OT| Xbox Series X | S - Powering your Dreams, Series..ly OT

Shouldn't it run with 2K on the Series S or is that just for Xbox Original enhanced games?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Is MS still adding original Xbox/Xbox 360 games to the Xbox store? I'm honestly a bit disappointed with the current catalog :x

For me the most frustrating part is how few X Enhanced 360 games there are. Nuts and Bolts and Ninja Gaiden 2 look incredible even on Series S and I wish more games got that treatment. Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey stand out as particularly glaring omissions. It's great that they are both BC, but they are 360 exclusives, published by Microsoft. Games like Shadows of the Damned, Azura's Wrath and The Darkness also stand out since they never had a PC release.

I'm also kind of baffled by their choices of games that are enhanced. Some are no-brainers like RDR, which is not available on PC or on 9th gen consoles, but others are strange, like Assassin's Creed 1. I'm completely ignorant of how easy or difficult it is to implement the Heutchy method, but I certainly hope more games are in the cards, specially considering how both Series S and X benefit from it. The dream would be for every 360 game to be enhanced down the line.

Last edited:

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
This is not a failure of the Xbox Series X, but I just purchased a new TV, a Samsung RU9000, and after trying many different HDR settings with it, going by the Rtings settings they used, and just poking around trying out things to get it right... I think im just going to throw in the towel and turn HDR off.

Everything just looks too dark. I guess the TV just cant hit brightness needed for it. Its a shame but at least this set can run 120hz native on the games that can use it.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I have this headset laying around:

uk.turtlebeach.com

Recon 200 Headset

Louder is better! Immerse yourself in your Xbox One and PS4™ games with the Turtle Beach® Recon 200 Black's powerful amplified audio with Bass Boost.

According to the manufacturer it is compatible with Series X, but when I plug the 3mm cable into the Series X controller the sound is still coming out of the TV as well as the headset. The headset also sounds like it's kinda quiet in one ear.

Still works on PS4 absolutely fine.

Anybody came across this with any other headset?

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Finished Fallen Order. I very much enjoyed it, despite Cal not being a particularly exciting character the story was decent overall.

I do have qualms with two things, the first is the buggy-ness of the game, I read about it releasing in a pretty bad state but there was still a lot of stuff I ran into including enemies getting stuck in the floor, animation glitches and straight up progression blocks with some doors needing a reload of the game to open. Feels like it still needs to be patched.

My second issue is the combat just not quite hitting the quality of comparable Souls games (admittedly a lofty target but it seems to be what they go for). The last boss in particular felt like real unfun bullshit at points and included terrible grab hitboxes and some dodgy unreadable shit. A lot of enemies seem to have a kind of homing feel on their attacks that never felt good to me. It's not awful but did make me really appreciate how good Fromsoft is at this stuff.

Pretty good overall though, would recommend if you have Game Pass ultimate! Looks and runs really nicely on Series X.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
rrrrr
Finished Fallen Order. I very much enjoyed it, despite Cal not being a particularly exciting character the story was decent overall.

I do have qualms with two things, the first is the buggy-ness of the game, I read about it releasing in a pretty bad state but there was still a lot of stuff I ran into including enemies getting stuck in the floor, animation glitches and straight up progression blocks with some doors needing a reload of the game to open. Feels like it still needs to be patched.

My second issue is the combat just not quite hitting the quality of comparable Souls games (admittedly a lofty target but it seems to be what they go for). The last boss in particular felt like real unfun bullshit at points and included terrible grab hitboxes and some dodgy unreadable shit. A lot of enemies seem to have a kind of homing feel on their attacks that never felt good to me. It's not awful but did make me really appreciate how good Fromsoft is at this stuff.

Pretty good overall though, would recommend if you have Game Pass ultimate! Looks and runs really nicely on Series X.

Did you play in Performance or Quality mode? I tried to play it on my S but I couldn't stand 30FPS. I'm most likely going to return my S to Microsoft to get an X down the line when it's readily available at their store (those Microsoft rewards monies paying off).

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
I've just set up my Yamaha YAS-209 soundbar and wondering what audio I should select.

The Series X defaulted to 5.1 uncompressed but I can also choose DTS Digital Surround and Dolby Digital.

Is one of those clearly better than the others? Uncompressed sounds good but then would Dolby or DTS Surround be better for effects?
I always prefer LCPM 5.1. I jump to bitstreaming only if the hardware doesn't support LPCM. Why go compressed when you have an uncompressed choice? :)

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Been playing Resi 4 on the XSX. Due to quick resume, I came back after playing it for about 7 hours total to find 26 hours now on my save file, heh.

After seeing the post above I realise I may have underestimated....

Just timed a full load from the main menu into the game and it is just under 20 seconds total. A death load took 12 seconds overall (may vary depending on area I suppose but that is what I measured where I am). Still significantly shorter than last gen.

Wow, that's shorter than I'd have guessed. Goes to show how spoiled I am by the speed of other games' loading, hah.

Oct 27, 2017
I fired up my X1X while I was waiting on my replacement XSX to arrive, and it was disappointing. I do not know how we dealt with these systems as long as we did. Everything was just...sluggish.

I originally planed on keeping the X1X for my office (Project Scorpio edition), but after using the new system I can't go back.

Its so long. I kept my One X in my living room for my media/streaming box (Series X in my office) and using it even for that stuff feels glacial to me. My partner doesnt mind/care, but I can immediately tell. The other thing that has spoiled me is 60fps and reduced input latency as a result makes going. back to older 30fps games hard - eve on the newer consoles.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017

I cant help but stare at the Series S I got my GF for launch as it sits on her tv stand in the game room. Its so damn small, and its perfect to travel with as a little streaming/gaming box.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got the 3 year warranty for this Xbox. I guess it'd be worth it if/when the controller starts drifting since it's slightly cheaper than the controller itself

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have loved my Series X, but on Saturday (my birthday, no less), it just ... lost connection to certain services (XBL authentication, store, etc). It was right around when we had a general internet outage so I dismissed it.

It never came back to life. To this day, 5 days later, it cannot connect to those things. I did a minor reset (keep games), a full reset, connected it directly to the WAN, connected it to a totally separate hotspot, bought a new router, nothing works. I have a few (4) Xboxes so I checked those, they all work perfectly on my standard network.

Support just says "not available" so I have to print a label, ship it off, and there are no promises on if or when I will receive it or another one back.

Feels bad man. Thankfully I have my One X off to the side so it took me a whole hour to get it plugged back in, updated, and now I can game at a lower standard over the holidays.

PS - I gotta say I am digging the "Smart Delivery" thing in that I at least can pick up where I left off on another console. It's not for nothin'.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
So....I drove home for the holidays today (took 2 weeks off, tested negative before leaving), and I unplugged my series X to bring it with me thought nothing of it. Through a 4 HOUR DRIVE UNPLUGGED....when I booted it up at my parents all my games quick resumed....like holy fucking shit....my mind is fucking blown.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
So....I drove home for the holidays today (took 2 weeks off, tested negative before leaving), and I unplugged my series X to bring it with me thought nothing of it. Through a 4 HOUR DRIVE UNPLUGGED....when I booted it up at my parents all my games quick resumed....like holy fucking shit....my mind is fucking blown.

It's basically just dumping the game's RAM contents to the SSD, which is why it can persist through being unplugged. But yeah, I'd still probably be impressed, lol.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019

VCR as in day one Xbox one? I use that ALL the time. I have it upstairs as a streaming box. Works great. Xbox one x? Lol nahhh I never turn that on. But I ain't selling it for $50