• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone's Series X fan got a lot louder recently? It had been whisper quiet for a long time but in the past few days it's seemingly got louder to where I can actually hear the thing (whether a game is open or not). It's still fairly quiet and probably not that big a concern, but just curious.

Mxlegend99

May 20, 2018
Is anyone else having network issues on their Xbox Series X?

Mine is wired and nearly everytime I boot it up there's no internet connection and the only fix I have found is to hold power button a few seconds and power it back up.

Never had an issue on any other console including my One X which it replaced on my living room TV. Googling the issue has helped find others with the issue. But not a fix. It's annoying more than anything.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I caved and bought one of the Seagate expansion drives today. It's stupid expensive but with all of these Game Pass games I want to install I kinda needed it.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I caved and bought one of the Seagate expansion drives today. It's stupid expensive but with all of these Game Pass games I want to install I kinda needed it.
I disagree. Most of them wouldn't utilize the extra load time speed. If you can pinpoint 3-4 games you want to "main" the system will just keep them in quick resume AND play the game natively in back compat or utilize the optimization patch w/o SSD (res/frame rate/stability)

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I disagree. Most of them wouldn't utilize the extra load time speed. If you can pinpoint 3-4 games you want to "main" the system will just keep them in quick resume AND play the game natively in back compat or utilize the optimization patch w/o SSD (res/frame rate/stability)
Yep. Right now I'm using a standard good ssd for older games and just using my main drive for Series X enhanced games.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
So because my PS5 won't arrive until the end of January and they happened to have a Series S at my town's Media Markt. I ordered it for pick up tomorrow. I don't have a 4K TV anyways, only a 1440p monitor, and honestly outside of Miles Morales and Horizon I wouldn't play any exlclusives on the PS5 next year anyways. Maybe Ratched, but I don't care that much about it. So I've decided to try the Series S and play Forza Horizon (Playstation was really missing an arcade racer for me), Halo (for the first time ever) and whatever else I can find on Game Pass Ultimate, which is 1€ for three months for the first three months.

If the PS5 doesn't have 1440p by the time I get it, I might even sell it for a profit and keep the Series S until I NEED a PS5 and it's readily available again.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Just a gentle reminder for everyone to not to miss out on the Hivebusters DLC for Gears 5, I have very little experience with the series but the DLC was absolutely ace and one of the best things I have played this year. If you have Game Pass ultimate it is available at no cost.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
Yep. Right now I'm using a standard good ssd for older games and just using my main drive for Series X enhanced games.
Right. So - in other words - a game like RDR2. It doesn't have a patch, it's 100 GB+. You could load that off the HDD, but only once. Like there are literally no loads after the initial load and with quick resume, you skip that load every time.

Now, in 3-4 years when x1/ps4 support is gone, my response would change, but. Idk. Just feel like saving everyone money. You definitely need a USB HDD tho,no matter what

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Can anyone tell me if its normal for games downloaded from gamepass to take several hours to install? Gears, horizon etc.
Thank you

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Right. So - in other words - a game like RDR2. It doesn't have a patch, it's 100 GB+. You could load that off the HDD, but only once. Like there are literally no loads after the initial load and with quick resume, you skip that load every time.

Now, in 3-4 years when x1/ps4 support is gone, my response would change, but. Idk. Just feel like saving everyone money. You definitely need a USB HDD tho,no matter what
If you have a USB SSD you still get improves load times. Not as good as the internal SSD but still better than before.

In the future I agree. And those expansion cards will most likely come down in price by then.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Can anyone tell me if its normal for games downloaded from gamepass to take several hours to install? Gears, horizon etc.
Thank you

Are you on about the actual downloads? That will of course depend on connection speed. Once downloaded I haven't really noticed any installation process taking time on Series X....my PS5 is way worse for that sort of thing.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
So just got my Series X in, everything is running great, but one issue I've ran into.

After restarting my system it kept telling me I had a network cable connected, which I don't. I hard reset it which fixed it. Is this a known issue? Don't want to have to hard reset every bootup.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
If you have a USB SSD you still get improves load times. Not as good as the internal SSD but still better than before.

In the future I agree. And those expansion cards will most likely come down in price by then.
I wish they had a 2TB version of the Expansion Card. I can see one coming out sometime in 2021. I would love a dock where you plug the end into the Expansion slot and then you have dock where you can plug 2-3 expansion cards. I am really thinking of future games where the room will be needed.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you
It depends I guess, what are you getting for network speeds on the console?

The test network speed thing on the console is showing me between 170-200mbps and I am able to download things pretty damn quick. I think I downloaded AC: Valhalla in like 30 minutes. Much better speeds than I ever got on my PS4 Pro on the same wireless network.

Last edited:

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
so if my main internal SSD fills up will it auto start installing on the expansion card or do I need to swap it to "Default" there?

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Got an Xbox Series S in from an MS Store order last month, so I've been messing around with it. Plugged in my external from my broken Xbox One X and the OS had a lot of trouble tracking down updates for the games on the hard drive. It pulled a few in the dedicated updates section of the download area, but I had to start a lot of games to get them to show up. I have a Gears 5 update in that section now despite the game not being installed. It won't leave and even queueing the game/update for download before canceling/uninstalling it just adds the update back to the update section a few minutes later. It's haunting me.

Also tried to figure out which games are Game Pass or Gold games so I know what to delete since I just have PC Game Pass as the moment, but none of the games had GP or Gold tags on them. I had to start every game up to see if I got the prompt to buy the game to know that I didn't own it. Of course, after I did that by hand, then tags showed up on a few of the games I had left. Found a couple games (Wasteland Remastered, Crackdown 3, & Enter the Gungeon) that I was pretty sure I didn't own still worked without GP, so I don't know what's up with that.

After cleaning it out, I wanted to queue up some downloads for what I could play. That wasn't too bad, but if I had to pause the queue to do something else online, when I came back it would just randomize the list. Trying to move stuff up to download ASAP if the game downloaded was also a bit frustrating, as it would randomly decide not to do it and reset my cursor's position on a 100+ item list. Found out that if you have the option menu open when it moves you back up to the top of the list, it won't let you close the option menu and I have to hit the Xbox button to close it. This OS hasn't improved much at all since I last used my Xbox One X a few months. It runs a bit better, but it's still full of BS issues that I'd have expected to be fixed at some point since last-gen started.

I'll be glad when these downloads are all done so I can just play games. The controller seems nice. Still needing Gold to play Rocket League and other Free to Play games is dumb. I'd like to check out the upgrades on the Series S and continue progress I have on PC/PS5.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Are screenshot/clip uploads broken right now? For the last week or so, anything I upload to Xbox Live just returns the "Something went wrong" error when I try to access it.

Kilirath

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you
Do you have a game running? Download speeds on Xbox are quite slow if you have a game running (either actively playing, or active in the background when you're on the dashboard). Force close the game and speeds should increase.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I'm not buying any ssd or the Seagate expansion card until we get xcloud on Xbox because, if it works well via network cable, i can see myself playing slower games directly on it and also using it to test games before downloading them. That way my SSD will only be used for games in currently playing that require fast input response.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I can't believe how quiet the system is. Gears 5 was completely silent. The system is warm, but blowing hot air out is a good thing. Really impressed.

Question: does the Seagate SSD Expansion basically just double the storage size or does it partition to two 1TB SSD's? If so, do games need to be moved to the internal?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe how quiet the system is. Gears 5 was completely silent. The system is warm, but blowing hot air out is a good thing. Really impressed.

Question: does the Seagate SSD Expansion basically just double the storage size or does it partition to two 1TB SSD's? If so, do games need to be moved to the internal?
It shows as an additional drive. No, it is as fast as the internal. I have currently Destiny 2 on it and works just fine.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Not applicable to when you have the official SSD card. But one of the tricks mentioned was to set you external drive as the default, if you try to download an optimized game it will go to the internal one

Haven't tested it myself due to laziness and how easy it is just to move games across storage via the dashboard

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
I have a Series S processing right now. I'm not too concerned with next-gen stuff for now...it's really just primarily going to be a gamepass machine. With that being said, what essential last gen Xbox/console exclusives are not on game pass that I should check out?

also does an xb1s Controller work with the series? And does Microsoft sell official thumb stick grip replacement or is it all 3rd party?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Series S processing right now. I'm not too concerned with next-gen stuff for now...it's really just primarily going to be a gamepass machine. With that being said, what essential last gen Xbox/console exclusives are not on game pass that I should check out?

also does an xb1s Controller work with the series? And does Microsoft sell official thumb stick grip replacement or is it all 3rd party?
Yes to the controller. 3rd party for the thumb sticks.

I'd say you're pretty covered with GamePass.

If you include 360, I'd say RDR1 but you'd need a Series X for the 4K enhancements.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Yes to the controller. 3rd party for the thumb sticks.

I'd say you're pretty covered with GamePass.

If you include 360, I'd say RDR1 but you'd need a Series X for the 4K enhancements.
Dang, thanks. Not the biggest fan of third party stuff, but I guess if $10 can save me from buying a second controller I'll give it a shot.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Are screenshot/clip uploads broken right now? For the last week or so, anything I upload to Xbox Live just returns the "Something went wrong" error when I try to access it.
Ok it's not just me. I've been able to trim and stuff but when ever I would try and share I would get that message. I have better luck on phone.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Ninja Gaiden 2 looks like a Bona Fide remaster on Series S. Image Quality is super sharp at 2240x1170 (not quite 1440p but pretty sharp), locked 60fps and auto HDR to boot!

I also had completely forgotten that I got the 360 Remastered Version of MGS 2 and 3 (I believe Bluepoint handled those remasters!) which I bought like 9 years ago. Does anyone know if it's X Enhanced? I'm assuming it isn't.

It was fun to see that I own more digital 360 games than I remembered. I also own Ikaruga and Sleeping Dogs for some reason.

I also love how Captures automatically upload to Xbox Live and you can immediately share them from your phone or PC.

Last edited:

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
Cyberpunk in performance is great. Still not consistent 60 fps, but great nonetheless. Game is so freaking fun on xsx

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
I keep going back and forth on the expansion card. I have the amazon credit to cover the entire thing since I traded in my PS4 Pro and Xbox One S, but every time I go to purchase it something tells me not to do it yet.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I also had completely forgotten that I got the 360 Remastered Version of MGS 2 and 3 (I believe Bluepoint handled those remasters!) which I bought like 9 years ago. Does anyone know if it's X Enhanced? I'm assuming it isn't.
Sadly, no

I keep going back and forth on the expansion card. I have the amazon credit to cover the entire thing since I traded in my PS4 Pro and Xbox One S, but every time I go to purchase it something tells me not to do it yet.
Hold off until you need the space for real.

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
Anyone's Series X fan got a lot louder recently? It had been whisper quiet for a long time but in the past few days it's seemingly got louder to where I can actually hear the thing (whether a game is open or not). It's still fairly quiet and probably not that big a concern, but just curious.
Yes, I've actually heard mine for the first time when playing Hivebusters. It was a very low pitched hum, but it was definitely coming from the console.
It's back to normal now, so I'm not sure what was the cause.

ghoulie

Oct 28, 2017
Very annoying new problem. For some reason I cannot get new screenshots to upload onto XBL. New screenshots I've taken for Manifold Garden and Call of the Sea simply won't upload and get attached to my gamertag! I go to Manage Captures, and the new screenshots won't show up under "Xbox Live". Instead, they show up under "On This Xbox", even though I saw an alert saying "Screenshot uploaded to Xbox Live" shortly after taking the screenshot.

If I go back to those screenshots (via "Manage Captures" > "On This Xbox"), and if I click on the Upload button, it again gives me an alert saying it has successfully uploaded to Xbox Live. But the problem persists. The screenshots aren't uploading properly and aren't getting attached to my gamertag.
Did this issue ever resolve itself? I'm having the exact same problem (not game specific) and I don't know if I should just wait or what. It's been going on a few days now.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Does the rewards app just crash constantly for anyone else? Just trying to navigate to find some of the offers that are oddly hidden in the app but it crashes all the time making it really frustrating

also the bing one refuses to acknowledge my searches on the console so that 500pts is blocked

Kilirath

Oct 27, 2017
Does the rewards app just crash constantly for anyone else? Just trying to navigate to find some of the offers that are oddly hidden in the app but it crashes all the time making it really frustrating
Yep. That app is currently a buggy mess for me. Crashes quite often and can be quite laggy when moving around the app.

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.

also the bing one refuses to acknowledge my searches on the console so that 500pts is blocked

Rewards app constantly crashes for me.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
I can't seem to stream games from my XSX to my W10 laptop for whatever reason. Says I need to enable streaming on my console, which is indeed already enabled. Works fine on my Android phone, but not my W10 laptop or PC. Weird.