• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
This may have been asked like a million times. My XSX gets here today, have there been any reported issues using instant on or anything like that like there were maybe on the PS5? Is it safer to just be cold booting?

I'd rather use instant on but only if it's safe.

nope, not that I know of. Been using instant on since I got mine and had no issues whatsoever

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This may have been asked like a million times. My XSX gets here today, have there been any reported issues using instant on or anything like that like there were maybe on the PS5? Is it safer to just be cold booting?

I'd rather use instant on but only if it's safe.
Been using Instant On since launch day and it's been fine for me.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I've experienced a few issues like this. A flickering too.

I was able to fix it by not playing the game that started the issue (Minecraft Dungeons), and then when it was starting to happen last night in Cyberpunk, I turned off VRR/120HZ and turned it back on.

Also, is anyone experiencing controller connectivity issues?
Quoting myself for a new page, and to add another question:

I also feel my trigger locking up while playing Cyberpunk. Is this some variation of the adaptive triggers from the One controller? Both my black and Shock Blue controller do it, and while it's not DualSense level of adaptivity, it feels like something is locking up in there. Feels vaguely like it did hitting the breaks on Forza 5 at the One launch.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So every so often, my series x loses connectivity when its off, and i turn it back on

and even tho it says it has internet, it wont connect to xbox live

only fix i have is remove the ethernet cable, and then putting it back in

Any idea why?

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Very annoying new problem. For some reason I cannot get new screenshots to upload onto XBL. New screenshots I've taken for Manifold Garden and Call of the Sea simply won't upload and get attached to my gamertag! I go to Manage Captures, and the new screenshots won't show up under "Xbox Live". Instead, they show up under "On This Xbox", even though I saw an alert saying "Screenshot uploaded to Xbox Live" shortly after taking the screenshot.

If I go back to those screenshots (via "Manage Captures" > "On This Xbox"), and if I click on the Upload button, it again gives me an alert saying it has successfully uploaded to Xbox Live. But the problem persists. The screenshots aren't uploading properly and aren't getting attached to my gamertag.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
After clipping the battery in and out again for 10 more times and trying to do it in other angles actually made this charging animation appear now, but I let it charge for the night and after removing the cable now, it still has the battery in the red 10% status so it's definitely dead. Had some hope here but it just doesn't work.

That's a shame. Hopefully you can exchange it for a new one.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Skimmed through to see if I wasn't asking an already known issue or something, but has anyone had their dashboard/guide menu start chugging along on a Series X? Sometimes when I close out of a game to load the dash back up or even just hit the guide button, the thing is moving really choppy/sluggish. Never the game itself, performance is always fine, it's just the OS that gets unbearably hitchy and slow. Restarting the console fixes it up, heck sometimes fully closing a game/app that's running (like Haven on Gamepass was causing it to happen consistently) is enough to get it to stop...but just a bit worried, being a launch console and all.
Yes, it's really random. Sometimes it just doesn't respond to the guide button.

Really disappointed with quick resume too; at least in the games that I play none of them work lol, very much a (fantastic) beta feature right now

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Just want to throw out there that I finally seen an XSX in the wild last week. (in a client's home) Yup... Microsoft is really damn good at hardware design. Like the One lineup, it's rock solid and feels/looks premium. Size wise, it's slightly smaller than I thought it would be. I was also pleased with how subtle the green in the vents is. And of course, the thing is dead silent.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
My Series X has shipped! It's arriving Wednesday (though Microsoft still says 12/23).

For those keeping score, I ordered online from the MS Store on 12/1. So a very fast turnaround! Can't wait!!!
Has FedEx updated your tracking for you? MS said they shipped mine on Friday but FedEx has not updated their tracking beyond Shipment Information Received and my delivery date just changed from today to Pending.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else experiencing WiFi drops? It's on Microsoft's known issue list, so just curious. Been really bugging me since the Destiny update dropped.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Used my SX disk drive for the first time today to play my $15 copy of RE3R...I didn't realize how quiet it was loading from disk. The DL a game before you own it from the Xbox app is a game changer for me honestly. I hope my ps5 gets the feature in a future update.

DarkManX

Dec 20, 2017
New fortnite update, will bring 120 fps to the new consoles. Series S - 1080p @120 and Series X 1440p 120@

Oct 25, 2017
La Résistance Country
Got some time with my X over the weekend. Playing on a 1080p Bravia TV and I've got 2 annoying issues.

1st: My TV doesn't switch automatically to Game Mode despite my PS4-PS5-Switch doing so. Switching it manually just for the Xbox is annoying.

2nd: I'm experiencing crushed blacks. Noticed it at first with Killer Instinct, but playing Streets of Rage 4 confirmed it. The picture is much darker than the Switch version. Played a bit with the Xbox's video settings (color space, RGB, etc.) but I see no difference. Anything else I should do? Again, no issue with my PS5/Switch.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
How is Quick resume supposed to work? Just hit the Home option and open another game/app?
Yep, just load up another game. Then switch back to the original game and it should hopefully have a little "Quick Resume" logo on the top right and load straight up.

It doesn't seem to indicate which games are in a QR state at the moment though, so it's a little bit of a gamble. Most seem to work fine though. I had around 4 games I was bouncing around for a while, all while testing random games (and letting my roommate play on their profile with their own game) and they all came back up the next day.
Then one of them didn't quick resume the next day, no idea why, but it loads fast enough I guess.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
How is Quick resume supposed to work? Just hit the Home option and open another game/app?

Yes. But it still bothers me how I'm not getting 100% consistent behaviour on it, and I'm not sure when something is suspended. I'm still trying lots of titles, and it would be nice to know that I'm going to boot another title off of quick resume.

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, just load up another game. Then switch back to the original game and it should hopefully have a little "Quick Resume" logo on the top right and load straight up.

It doesn't seem to indicate which games are in a QR state at the moment though, so it's a little bit of a gamble. Most seem to work fine though. I had around 4 games I was bouncing around for a while, all while testing random games (and letting my roommate play on their profile with their own game) and they all came back up the next day.
Then one of them didn't quick resume the next day, no idea why, but it loads fast enough I guess.
Yes. But it still bothers me how I'm not getting 100% consistent behaviour on it, and I'm not sure when something is suspended. I'm still trying lots of titles, and it would be nice to know that I'm going to boot another title off of quick resume.
Ahh I see. I tried to redeem the daily reward for getting an achievement on the Rewards app but the freaking thing didnt register it (and crashed) until I completely quit the game, I was wondering if that kind of info doesnt get uploaded until a game is turned off completely.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Used my SX disk drive for the first time today to play my $15 copy of RE3R...I didn't realize how quiet it was loading from disk. The DL a game before you own it from the Xbox app is a game changer for me honestly. I hope my ps5 gets the feature in a future update.

Honestly didn't know this was a thing. So you can download a game without owning it? Then have it unlock with a physical disc? This is one of those quality of life convinience features that don't get talked about enough.

bluemax38

Nov 3, 2020
So every so often, my series x loses connectivity when its off, and i turn it back on

and even tho it says it has internet, it wont connect to xbox live

only fix i have is remove the ethernet cable, and then putting it back in

Any idea why?
Not sure if it's related, and this has only happened a handful of times for me, but mine has dropped connection whilst it's on and the ethernet cable is in. To get it to connect again I either need to go to settings and connect to Xbox Live there or take the ethernet cable out and put it in again. Doesn't seem to be anything obvious triggering it and it hasn't happened whilst using WiFi.

Jasonofindy

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly didn't know this was a thing. So you can download a game without owning it? Then have it unlock with a physical disc? This is one of those quality of life convinience features that don't get talked about enough.

Yeah, using the Xbox app you can download and install games you don't own. You can have it downloaded and patched up ready to go. Like when they announced Skyrim was joining GamePass last week. You then had several days to get it downloaded and updated in preparation for when it went live on GamePass. Say you are at the store and buy a disc. You can use your app to start the download while still in the store, make any other stops you need while you are out, and then have the game ready and waiting for you when you get home and pop the disc in. Another scenario, say your friend is coming over to play his new fighting game or new splitcreen game with you. You can download it before he gets there. If he owns the disc copy, he can just put it in when he gets there. If he owns it digitally, he can just sign in and start the game. It really is a VERY convenient feature.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
has there been any hint as to when the legacy controller update is coming to improve input lag compared to the new controllers?

It isn't out yet?

Yeah, using the Xbox app you can download and install games you don't own. You can have it downloaded and patched up ready to go. Like when they announced Skyrim was joining GamePass last week. You then had several days to get it downloaded and updated in preparation for when it went live on GamePass. Say you are at the store and buy a disc. You can use your app to start the download while still in the store, make any other stops you need while you are out, and then have the game ready and waiting for you when you get home and pop the disc in. Another scenario, say your friend is coming over to play his new fighting game or new splitcreen game with you. You can download it before he gets there. If he owns the disc copy, he can just put it in when he gets there. If he owns it digitally, he can just sign in and start the game. It really is a VERY convenient feature.

Yeah, it's an ESPECIALLY useful feature for anyone who still buys discs. Basically lets you preload like anyone else if you want, then you just have to pop the disc in and you're golden.

Link-182

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone experiencing the issue where the SX will go in and out of static when you launch streaming apps like netflix, disney plus, ect. - if you have a TCL TV, go into the TV settings and have it check for an update. If there is an update, download it and it should completely fix the issue.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not sure if it's related, and this has only happened a handful of times for me, but mine has dropped connection whilst it's on and the ethernet cable is in. To get it to connect again I either need to go to settings and connect to Xbox Live there or take the ethernet cable out and put it in again. Doesn't seem to be anything obvious triggering it and it hasn't happened whilst using WiFi.
Yep, exactly the same issue here. Any permanent fix for it?

Jul 18, 2018
North Carolina
I have a Series X and have been using the Xbox app to do Remote Play in my own home on my 2015 iPad Pro. The stream gets pretty blocky with anything fast moving - especially Forza Horizon 4. Is there any way to increase the quality or bitrate? Any settings I can change manually or other methods I could use? It looks like there was another in-home streaming for Xbox One but that doesn't work with Series X?

The Xbox is connected directly to my router with gigabit ethernet, and the iPad is on 5GHz Wifi. I have 1Gb Google Fiber and the streaming test exceeds 9mbit upload. I would think it could just stream over the LAN, but don't see any options for that.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Yup! You have to initiate the download from the xbox app on your phone though. As of right now you cant download the game directly on your xbox without owning it, so you have to remotely initiate the install from the app which works great. Then you just need to put the disk in or purchase a digital license for the game to start.

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
Minimum 256GB for external I believe or at least that's what MS state... though I notice Turnbl doesnt have issues, so that's weird.

I think 128GB is the lowest limit for an external 'games' formatted drive. But I think the original poster was asking about a standard 'media' stick for use with Retroarch which I don't believe has any size requirements.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
Just want to throw out there that I finally seen an XSX in the wild last week. (in a client's home) Yup... Microsoft is really damn good at hardware design. Like the One lineup, it's rock solid and feels/looks premium. Size wise, it's slightly smaller than I thought it would be. I was also pleased with how subtle the green in the vents is. And of course, the thing is dead silent.

its how quiet the thing is thats amazing to me. The One X was pretty quiet but there was still fan noise with instensive games. This bad boy doesnt even let out a whisper. Borderlands 3 and No Mans Sky would kick up the fans like no tomorrow on the One X....on the Series X you really need to go up and put your ear at the vents to hear anything

For the size and what they have packed in there it really is an engineering feat

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017

Yup! You have to initiate the download from the xbox app on your phone though. As of right now you cant download the game directly on your xbox without owning it, so you have to remotely initiate the install from the app which works great. Then you just need to put the disk in or purchase a digital license for the game to start.

This is pretty awesome stuff. The convinience factor is thru the roof with this.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, nice, thanks! Do you know if the gamertag must be free or can I choose whatever?
I think you can actually use anything now and they just append numbers to the end if it's already in use although I haven't tried it myself.

Xbox Support

We've updated new Xbox gamertags to support a 12-character max, Unicode-based name of your choice, with an auto-generated suffix if the gamertag is shared. We now offer 13 different alphabets for gamers, which support more than 200 languages worldwide.

New Xbox players or those who want to change their gamertag can claim one of their choice, up to 12 characters. If a gamertag is already taken, a suffix with numbers is attached to differentiate you from other people with the same gamertag. Suffixes are subtle so that the focus is on the name you chose, but they are always shown.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Thanks for the clarification all! I wouldn't want any numbers after my gamertag even though less visible. I saw that they support multiple alphabets now so I guess I could use those to swap out a letter?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Fortnite has added a 120hz mode option for both Series X and S, and my time on the Series S mode in the 50 vs 50 mode (which normally sees the most performance variation) was solid, including based on the refresh rate display on my monitor for the VRR mode.

Last I had known, it got the 60hz (including splitscreen) and visual improvements on Series S/X, so I think the 120hz mode is pretty recent?

Edit: Ah, it's detailed in the patch notes from today!
www.epicgames.com

Day 1 Ready: Fortnite Arrives Next Week on Xbox Series X|S and PS5

A next-gen version of Fortnite will be launching alongside the next-gen Xbox Series X, S, and PS5 consoles. Here’s what you can expect!

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019
Has FedEx updated your tracking for you? MS said they shipped mine on Friday but FedEx has not updated their tracking beyond Shipment Information Received and my delivery date just changed from today to Pending.

It sat at "no tracking information" for a few days, then FedEx started updating it. MS was still saying expected date 12/23 even as it arrived today. (!)

FedEx of course dropped it on my front door on the streets of Philly without waiting for a signature in an area where package theft is rampant, but fortunately working from home I was able to run down and snatch it.

Nov 4, 2017
Has anyone else noticed audio issues with the Series X? I'm experiencing audio 'clicks' and 'pops' when navigating the dashboard, which seems to be tied to when the sound effect plays (like the sound file is corrupt) but it is really apparent with WatchDogs: Legion. I've eliminated the TV, Sound Bar and Headphones by actually unplugging them in turn and the problem can actually be heard in a recording I made through the console and playing it back on PC.
I've uploaded the video here. Should I start a repair request? (well, after Xmas).

vimeo.com

08-12-2020_20-29-45-agpb2i5v

This is "08-12-2020_20-29-45-agpb2i5v" by Bob on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Has anyone else noticed audio issues with the Series X? I'm experiencing audio 'clicks' and 'pops' when navigating the dashboard, which seems to be tied to when the sound effect plays (like the sound file is corrupt) but it is really apparent with WatchDogs: Legion. I've eliminated the TV, Sound Bar and Headphones by actually unplugging them in turn and the problem can actually be heard in a recording I made through the console and playing it back on PC.
I've uploaded the video here. Should I start a repair request? (well, after Xmas).

vimeo.com

08-12-2020_20-29-45-agpb2i5v

This is "08-12-2020_20-29-45-agpb2i5v" by Bob on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.
I have that bug on Legion and have posted videos on Ubisoft forums reporting the issue there. They've said they've been able to replicate and are working on a fix. The glitching is there even when recording through the Xbox itself (as opposed to speakers or TV).

It's not the same thing as the little pops you hear sometimes in the Xbox UI when you get a notification or whatever. Those little pops have been there since the original Xbox One and don't happen in games.

Please do report the Legion issue to Ubi in this thread, the more people complain the more likely it is they'll fix it: https://forums.ubisoft.com/showthread.php/2292856-Audio-Popping-Cracking?p=15247039#post15247039

You don't need to start a return request. The popping and crackling in Watch Dogs isn't tied to a particular sound effect: it happens constantly on the main menu, in game and in in-game menus too. The sound glitch is also different too. If it was a hardware issue it would be happening in other games too, and as far as I can tell it doesn't.

You can go on Legion youtube streams and hear the glitching there too. Some people don't notice it when they're playing, only in the menus - but if you get the bug it's there all the time.

Last edited: