• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Apr 24, 2018
So with my PS4 I got used to powering off my console with the controller, and I saw that the XSX worked the same way and thought nothing of it. My console came with Instant-On as the default following initial setup, which from what I've come to understand is effectively a standby mode and not a full shutdown. I've been using the console for a month now and only hard reset it (e.g. via physical power button) twice, both instances where the console was frozen. Is it okay to always leave the console in instant-on mode and simply power the console down via the controller?

I think I read elsewhere that the console should be hard shut down at least once a month. I'm someone who typically rarely uses standby features, but am also someone who tends to use the default configurations. I just want to make sure that I'm not taking any unnecessary significant long term risks with the console powering it off as I have been.

sdornan

Oct 27, 2017
So with my PS4 I got used to powering off my console with the controller, and I saw that the XSX worked the same way and thought nothing of it. My console came with Instant-On as the default following initial setup, which from what I've come to understand is effectively a standby mode and not a full shutdown. I've been using the console for a month now and only hard reset it (e.g. via physical power button) twice, both instances where the console was frozen. Is it okay to always leave the console in instant-on mode and simply power the console down via the controller?

I think I read elsewhere that the console should be hard shut down at least once a month. I'm someone who typically rarely uses standby features, but am also someone who tends to use the default configurations. I just want to make sure that I'm not taking any unnecessary significant long term risks with the console powering it off as I have been.
It should be fine. I've used mine in standby since I got it around launch with no issues. Same with my One and One X.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Shock blue controller is my new main. I love the aesthetics of the face buttons and having the og colors in the center.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Both are fine. But with the speed the console boots up from cold boot i dont see a point of instant on outside of that games get updated automatically.

Apr 24, 2018
Thanks to you both!
It should be fine. I've used mine in standby since I got it around launch with no issues. Same with my One and One X.
Good to know and makes it more reassuring that the One/One X had this feature and it caused no issues. Thanks for the peace of mind!
Both are fine. But with the speed the console boots up from cold boot i dont see a point of instant on outside of that games get updated automatically.
Yeah, I wouldn't have switched to it if it wasn't the default configuration after I did my initial setup through the Xbox app on my phone. The XSX is lightning quick all around; I still haven't bothered (or been tempted) to try out quick resume for the same reason.

Jasonofindy

Oct 27, 2017
My XSX is finally shipping from the MS Store, should have it next week 😊

If you don't mind me asking, is it shipping ahead of, behind, or right at the shipping estimate that they gave you when you ordered? I have a Series X for my place already, but was able to order a Series S for my son to take back to his mom's house back on November 22. The confirmation mail had an estimated ship date of January 5, although the site said late December when I first started the checkout process. I'm trying to judge if it will at least arrive during his winter break if not in time for Christmas.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't mind me asking, is it shipping ahead of, behind, or right at the shipping estimate that they gave you when you ordered? I have a Series X for my place already, but was able to order a Series S for my son to take back to his mom's house back on November 22. The confirmation mail had an estimated ship date of January 5, although the site said late December when I first started the checkout process. I'm trying to judge if it will at least arrive during his winter break if not in time for Christmas.
Ahead of schedule for me. I ordered on 11/10 and was given a 12/23 date. I'm now supposed to be getting it from FedEx on Monday.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

Same as others. I ordered on 11/10 and mine is set to arrive today and on truck for delivery. Was told est. 12/23 when order placed.

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else get occasional controller disconnects? Wondering if it's a bad controller or just something they need to iron out across the board.
I complained about this a couple weeks ago with two Series controllers dropping signal. Based on feedback from this thread, this could be caused by either having your router too close to your Xbox and the wireless signals are crossing. Or it could be that the battery compartment is not holding the batteries secure enough. I haven't yet determined which is the root cause yet because I haven't encountered the issue for two weeks now.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
This isn't dying. The controller definitely HAS powered off and lost signal (despite a full battery icon) but in one or two sessions it lost signal while lit up and I had to pull the batteries and put em back in to get it to respond.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't dying. The controller definitely HAS powered off and lost signal (despite a full battery icon) but in one or two sessions it lost signal while lit up and I had to pull the batteries and put em back in to get it to respond.

This has been happening in the Alpha Skip Ahead ring for a few months now on and off. It goes back to Xbox One controllers disconnecting which makes me think it's a software issue.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Was wondering if someone knew this, I know there's a Dolby Atmos app for Xbox, does that work for UHD movie discs as well? I know a handful of games support it and I assume the streaming apps, but was wondering if that worked for 4K discs too.

Additionally, does the Atmos work with a headset plugged into the controller?

Thanks!

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any racing wheels - either available or upcoming - that will work on both Series X and PS5?

I've bought a few racing games lately in sales, but they're spread across both Xbox and PlayStation platforms, and given that wheels are generally some of the more expensive peripherals (not to mention large by design), I don't want to buy two.

Leonsito

Oct 30, 2017
Asturias, Spain
I still don't understand what's going on with the stock situation, even in Spain this thing solds out in seconds...

Is there a clear explanation as to why they have made way less units than Sony? It seemed like Microsoft had the hardware nailed down way before them...

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand what's going on with the stock situation, even in Spain this thing solds out in seconds...

Is there a clear explanation as to why they have made way less units than Sony? It seemed like Microsoft had the hardware nailed down way before them...
Apparently they were waiting until RDNA2, which wasn't fully complete unit July, and they had to wait to start manufacturing.

Sony went with a more custom solution to achieve feature parity because they didn't wait for AMD to finish it, and were done earlier.

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017
This probably has been answered already, but I can't find the answer. Whenever I watch UHDs on an LG CX with the Xbox Series X, it plays fine for a while but then it goes to a black screen with the audio still playing. I have tried both the HDMI cable that came with it and a Zeskit MAYA cable, and 2 different ports on the CX. Any ideas or is this a known issue?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
This probably has been answered already, but I can't find the answer. Whenever I watch UHDs on an LG CX with the Xbox Series X, it plays fine for a while but then it goes to a black screen with the audio still playing. I have tried both the HDMI cable that came with it and a Zeskit MAYA cable, and 2 different ports on the CX. Any ideas or is this a known issue?
Have you updated the CX?

Leonsito

Oct 30, 2017
Asturias, Spain
Apparently they were waiting until RDNA2, which wasn't fully complete unit July, and they had to wait to start manufacturing.

Sony went with a more custom solution to achieve feature parity because they didn't wait for AMD to finish it, and were done earlier.

Yeah that was one of the theories I heard... if that's real I understand their decision, but they really fucked up the launch, they could have sold a lot more worldwide. The conversation is now going to be how the PS5 steamrolled XS from the first day.

The good part for Microsoft is that they really didn't need Halo at launch to sold out...

Xpider_MX

Aug 13, 2020
México

Are we sure that PS5 is on full parity with Xbox Series RDNA2 features?

Yeah that was one of the theories I heard... if that's real I understand their decision, but they really fucked up the launch, they could have sold a lot more worldwide. The conversation is now going to be how the PS5 steamrolled XS from the first day.

The good part for Microsoft is that they really didn't need Halo at launch to sold out...

My theory is: more consoles sold, MS will lose more money. A dumb theory I guess.

Jul 26, 2018
Do you also get the controller to work weirdly when running on medium batteries? The game character keeps moving forward and headset sound cuts like or cracks every couple seconds. My rechargeable AA are 2000mha..

Xpider_MX

Aug 13, 2020
México
/shrug, haven't delved in that deep into the differences.

What we know about RDNA 2 features in AMD GPUs:

- Machine Learning
- GPU Work Creation
- Mesh Shading
- Variable Rate Shading
- Sample Feedback
- DirectStorage
- Infinity Cache

All except the last are inside the Xbox Series hardware. We don't know if Series X|S supports Infinity Cache

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
What we know about RDNA 2 features in AMD GPUs:

- Machine Learning
- GPU Work Creation
- Mesh Shading
- Variable Rate Shading
- Sample Feedback
- DirectStorage
- Infinity Cache

All except the last are inside the Xbox Series hardware. We don't know if Series X|S supports Infinity Cache
die_shot.png

No big cache for the GPU that can be seen, so I'd say it was not implemented.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
Do you also get the controller to work weirdly when running on medium batteries? The game character keeps moving forward and headset sound cuts like or cracks every couple seconds. My rechargeable AA are 2000mha..
Is your system sitting right next to your router?

Never had what you described happen on any Xbox but I've had a bad battery cause disconnect. Even eneloops can go bad I've had to toss a few.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
People sleep on quick resume. It's so weird playing apex with friends, and just click ac Valhalla icon and just have that shit resume exactly where you left it from 2 days ago in 5 secs.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
My XSX's fan still loves to spin when off. I only notice it when I'm actively looking at it, but other times it stops spinning right after it's put to sleep. Seems like there is no rhyme or reason to it. Oh well, as long as it remains silent I'm okay with it.

Was just thinking that it's funny that we haven't seen any smoking XSXs since launch week.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
My XSX's fan still loves to spin when off. I only notice it when I'm actively looking at it, but other times it stops spinning right after it's put to sleep. Seems like there is no rhyme or reason to it. Oh well, as long as it remains silent I'm okay with it.

Was just thinking that it's funny that we haven't seen any smoking XSXs since launch week.
You mean vaping XSXs.

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Man I find it odd that I have a super powerful pc with a 2080tj but I am enjoying my Xbox series x more .

so easy just to power up and start playing or switching games . Fucking awesome quite console . I am in love with it more than my PlayStation 5 ( but mainly because I am on OCD and I hate the coil whine sound it makes )

I am really thinking of selling the ps5 ( for profit as someone offered me 300$ Canadian more than the actual console retail at brand new )

I think I am going to actually do that . I am spending most of my time playing cod on Xbox along with destiny 2 game pass plus other games ) and get a better PlayStation 5 next year as there is nothing I really I want to play that is exclusive till god of war

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.

Schrödinger's fan.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I started Outer Wilds and my head hurts...

It's a lot to take in. I'll come back tomorrow.

Megaten

Oct 30, 2017
Skimmed through to see if I wasn't asking an already known issue or something, but has anyone had their dashboard/guide menu start chugging along on a Series X? Sometimes when I close out of a game to load the dash back up or even just hit the guide button, the thing is moving really choppy/sluggish. Never the game itself, performance is always fine, it's just the OS that gets unbearably hitchy and slow. Restarting the console fixes it up, heck sometimes fully closing a game/app that's running (like Haven on Gamepass was causing it to happen consistently) is enough to get it to stop...but just a bit worried, being a launch console and all.