• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Hellblade is a glorified walking simulator with some very basic puzzles and one on one combat thrown in.

And I'm actually okay with walking sims, too - I love Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and What Remains of Edith Finch. But this one just ain't grabbing me so far, even if I drop my expectations for interesting and varied gameplay. Maybe I'll give it some more time before deciding whether to throw in the towel.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
It doesnt have 60fps mode because it's running the Xbox One S version in BC.

We'll see how it really plays when the next gen patch comes out.

That's a fair point. I really don't get why they didn't just make the Series S act like the 1X when it comes to BC. And native games are already showing that performance differences are more than just resolution decreases from the XSX. Cutbacks for the XSS are definitely too severe and it's not just the hardware when they intentionally kneecapped BC.

It looks like I'm going to end up with both a PS5 and an XS and would like to go digital for both, but when comparing it to what Sony's offering at just $100 more than the XSS and $100 less than the XSX it makes MS' offerings look like a comparatively poor value. (for me) It may end up delaying my purchase of an XS console to see if they roll out an all digital version of the XSX or a hardware refresh. I have a capable PC still that I'm not planning to upgrade anytime soon (1070 — but I'm due for a new CPU as well meaning I'd also need to add a mobo/RAM so I'm basically in for an entirely new PC) so I don't need to miss out on any exclusives in the interim, but I'm no longer doing Game Pass on it because I'm not risking the hard drive bug.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
And I'm actually okay with walking sims, too - I love Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and What Remains of Edith Finch. But this one just ain't grabbing me so far, even if I drop my expectations for interesting and varied gameplay. Maybe I'll give it some more time before deciding whether to throw in the towel.
Are you playing it with headphones on too?

Considering how small the team was for Hellblade, it does feel more like a tech demo for potential ideas. It should mean HB2 will be massive.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
That's a fair point. I really don't get why they didn't just make the Series S act like the 1X when it comes to BC

Because they can't, due to the Series S not having the same amount of system memory as the One X. Some games might work fine, but a whole bunch probably wouldn't, so they'd need to go back through the entire library and test again.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
That's a fair point. I really don't get why they didn't just make the Series S act like the 1X when it comes to BC. And native games are already showing that performance differences are more than just resolution decreases from the XSX. Cutbacks for the XSS are definitely too severe and it's not just the hardware when they intentionally kneecapped BC.

It looks like I'm going to end up with both a PS5 and an XS and would like to go digital for both, but when comparing it to what Sony's offering at just $100 more than the XSS and $100 less than the XSX it makes MS' offerings look like a comparatively poor value. (for me) It may end up delaying my purchase of an XS console to see if they roll out an all digital version of the XSX or a hardware refresh. I have a capable PC still that I'm not planning to upgrade anytime soon (1070 — but I'm due for a new CPU as well meaning I'd also need to add a mobo/RAM so I'm basically in for an entirely new PC) so I don't need to miss out on any exclusives in the interim, but I'm no longer doing Game Pass on it because I'm not risking the hard drive bug.
It would be really nice to have more than just One S versions be backwards compatible on the S.

I think the real tells will be to see how the Xbox studios build out Series S versions. Hopefully those teams can get the games on par besides resolution.

I totally get the situation you're in though. I understand why MS didnt make a disc less Series X as launching 3 new console SKUs at once would be a cluster. It does lock out those who want the powerful console and dont want to pay $100 extra for a disc drive.

DarkManX

Dec 20, 2017
The last chance to get some BC One S games improved on Series S, is the list that BC team are working one. One of the titles will be Fallout 4 from 30 frames to 60. since it was previewed months ago. No more news about others yet, though.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone know how to get Apple headphones working in a X controller? I just want to hear the game audio through them.
When I plug them in I get a horrible pitching sound - no game audio. I've looked in settings but can't seem to find anything to change it..

Thanks!

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Hellblade is a glorified walking simulator with some very basic puzzles and one on one combat thrown in.
The combat is surprisingly deep, it's just that they don't really explain it (not sure if that's intentional...). You can string together some really neat combos.
It's very much a special experience with a very specific mood and pace. I'd say give it a try until you get to the tree scene on the beach. That really hit me like a brick. And some of the coolest scenes definitely happen in the second half, including the final fight IMO.

Playing with headphones and letting it all wash over you definitely helps.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Started Call of the Sea last night and absolutely loving it. Such a great experience and again exactly the opposite type of game I'd usually spend time and money investing in if I wasn't on Game Pass.

I have to say, even with a broken console on Day 2 I think the Series X launch is one of my favourites. I'm just trying so much stuff. I randomly started Sea of Thieves, went on a treasure hunt with some complete stranger and got blown up. It's not really for me, but it was interesting nonetheless and I'm glad I gave it a go.

I've not yet touched Valhalla, Will of the Wisps, Cyberpunk or Outer Wilds. I'm super excited for the Gears expansion. There's just so much to do.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Started Call of the Sea last night and absolutely loving it. Such a great experience and again exactly the opposite type of game I'd usually spend time and money investing in if I wasn't on Game Pass.

I have to say, even with a broken console on Day 2 I think the Series X launch is one of my favourites. I'm just trying so much stuff. I randomly started Sea of Thieves, went on a treasure hunt with some complete stranger and got blown up. It's not really for me, but it was interesting nonetheless and I'm glad I gave it a go.

I've not yet touched Valhalla, Will of the Wisps, Cyberpunk or Outer Wilds. I'm super excited for the Gears expansion. There's just so much to do.
How has the performance been for you in Call of the Sea? The initial impressions put me off a bit (debated waiting for a patch) but I do wanna play it soon.

You're in for a treat with Ori by the way, incredible game, and so nice to look at!

Also very excited for Gears!

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
How has the performance been for you in Call of the Sea? The initial impressions put me off a bit (debated waiting for a patch) but I do wanna play it soon.

You're in for a treat with Ori by the way, incredible game, and so nice to look at!

I honestly found Blind Forest to be the best platformer I've ever played, and one of the purest gaming experiences I've had in a long time. It really was like playing a piece of art and I've heard the sequel is even better.

To be honest, I found the performance on Call of the Sea fine, but I'm only at Chapter 2 (about 1.5 hours in). I've heard it can dip a bit as you get further, and more stuff happens. As you reach the island you can definitely feel a slight performance dip. If you're prone to motion sickness or really turned off by fluctuating frame rates then you might want to wait, but it's absolutely fine for me tbh. I'm not that bothered by small bouts of stuttering and there hasn't been anything that has really stood out to me. It's just a super tranquil adventure / puzzle game. Requires lots of thought rather than fast reflexes.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
I honestly found Blind Forest to be the best platformer I've ever played, and one of the purest gaming experiences I've had in a long time. It really was like playing a piece of art and I've heard the sequel is even better.

To be honest, I found the performance on Call of the Sea fine, but I'm only at Chapter 2 (about 1.5 hours in). I've heard it can dip a bit as you get further, and more stuff happens. As you reach the island you can definitely feel a slight performance dip. If you're prone to motion sickness or really turned off by fluctuating frame rates then you might want to wait, but it's absolutely fine for me tbh. I'm not that bothered by small bouts of stuttering and there hasn't been anything that has really stood out to me. It's just a super tranquil adventure / puzzle game. Requires lots of thought rather than fast reflexes.
Thanks, appreciate the in-depth response! After DOOM Eternal, lots of thought is a nice change of pace lol

And I agree with you on the first Ori, and let me tell you, the second one is even better. It's crazy how they pulled that off (besides the combat improvements, which are very welcome).

Deleted member 50735

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Checked and realized with 10 games, I'm 55% full. The shame of an early adopter is storage. Going to need careful management.

Planning what games go where, and ready to be on tap.
Totally agree. I currently have the expansion card and another 1tb usb ssd for bc games and I still want more! Its to the point where by when I look at the size of CoD and think its not worth the install size. Especially when the fast storage is so expensive.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone know how to get Apple headphones working in a X controller? I just want to hear the game audio through them.
When I plug them in I get a horrible pitching sound - no game audio. I've looked in settings but can't seem to find anything to change it..

Thanks!
Make sure they are plugged all the way in. I thought my headphones were broke as well, until I clicked them all the way in.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Quick Resume worked with DS2 SOFTFS, but obvisouly it disconnects you from the online mode and lets you play offline. You gotta comeback to the main menu to reconnect again.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Because they can't, due to the Series S not having the same amount of system memory as the One X. Some games might work fine, but a whole bunch probably wouldn't, so they'd need to go back through the entire library and test again.

Wow really? That's surprising to read. Never paid attention to the 1X specs and assumed the XSS was an across the board improvement.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017

The Witness is a glorified walking simulator with some very basic line puzzles thrown in.
Call of Duty is a glorified walking simulator with some very basic gunplay and pressing X where they want you to.
Journey is a glorified walking simulator with some very basic jumping thrown in.
The Last Guardian is a glorified walking simulator with a big cat-bird thrown in.

Using "walking simulator" as an insult and then trying to make the point your are making is truly making my brain hurt. "It's just walking (ignoring the exploration taking place while walking and the storytelling both environmental and direct, of course) except all the times you are not walking".

On Topic:

So is Quick resume just utterly, completely busted? I think it worked once the last 7 or 8 days with Immortals: Feny Rising for me, but no matter if I play Haven, AC: Valhalla, Dirt 5 - doesn't matter. Quick Resume almost never seems to work. It wasn't great at launch but it wasn't this bad.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018

Yes I'm wondering if I should play this on my series x my gaming pc with a 2070s?

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
Apologies in advance if this is of no use.

As a work around to negating where the default install is set to. For me if I go to a game that is in my Full Library and instead of pressing A to download. Press menu/start on the yet to be downloaded game and select Manage Installation and add ons, then click on the game on the next screen, it always brings up a complete selection of where to choose to install. For example for me I can choose from the internal, the official expansion ssd, my own usb ssd and 2 x usb hdd. Yep I'm running 5 storage locations! I often do it this way as I don't always want whatever the default location is.

Of course I lose that option if just click to download via the store or clicking on a game with the A button to download.

Just thought it may be a work around at least.

First of all: no apologies needed! :)

Your idea is actually pretty good. I did not think of that. I might use this way, when I am hooking up more than one external drive.
I think for now I will just put my external drive as the primary drive because I have no problem transferring the games from external to internal and vice versa.
Most of the optimized games are currently on my external drive anyway – and some of them thankfully do work externally.

Deleted member 50735

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
First of all: no apologies needed! :)

Your idea is actually pretty good. I did not think of that. I might use this way, when I am hooking up more than one external drive.
I think for now I will just put my external drive as the primary drive because I have no problem transferring the games from external to internal and vice versa.
Most of the optimized games are currently on my external drive anyway – and some of them thankfully do work externally.
Cool. For me I would rather have an external drive deal with lots of writes and re-writes too if possible.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Looks like my screen cutting to black issue has been fixed. My TV got an update and I've had no screen cutting out to black issues at all tonight. I've played multiple games and used three different video apps. If anyone was having this issue with a TCL Roku TV (615 for me) then update your TV to the newest software. I had to manually get it to check.

I can finally use my Series X like a fully functioning game console 😆

Oct 27, 2017
I have a series s and a series x and love them both. I was wondering if it is possible for my gf and I to play coop games with one game pass subscription on two seperate consoles in the same home? Has anyone had any success with a setup like this?

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
I have a series s and a series x and love them both. I was wondering if it is possible for my gf and I to play coop games with one game pass subscription on two seperate consoles in the same home? Has anyone had any success with a setup like this?
yes

Activate the gamepass account as Home on the Xbox that your are not going to use. Then on that xbox you can use any account.

On the other xbox, you need to use the gamepass account

same way it works on PS and Switch

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Are you playing it with headphones on too?

Considering how small the team was for Hellblade, it does feel more like a tech demo for potential ideas. It should mean HB2 will be massive.

The combat is surprisingly deep, it's just that they don't really explain it (not sure if that's intentional...). You can string together some really neat combos.

It's very much a special experience with a very specific mood and pace. I'd say give it a try until you get to the tree scene on the beach. That really hit me like a brick. And some of the coolest scenes definitely happen in the second half, including the final fight IMO.

Playing with headphones and letting it all wash over you definitely helps.

I played it again last night and used headphones, and it definitely helps. Moving on from the fire section also helped add a little more variety to the puzzles. Given its short length, I'm more inclined to see it through to the end than I was in my first playthrough.

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the account that has the subscription just needs to sign in on the xbox you want to share (the S I presume) and set it as their home console.

Now you can use your subscription wherever you're logged in (X) and anyone logged in with their account on the home console (S) can use it too.

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
Reading impressions about C2077 on XSX make me feel like we aren't even playing the same game. IQ is one of the worst I've experienced these last few months and the framerate is widely inconsistent on — barely — busy corner.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
I was not feeling this game either and almost quit on it but I forced myself to finish it and I ended up really enjoying it. Just keep playing and wear headphones! Watch the documentary on its development on Youtube afterwards.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
I am the only one that Lost HDR while playing cyberpunk ? Like if i go to the dashboard then return to the game, the game is on sdr and not anymore HDR

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've started playing Gears 4 after finishing 5 and godamn.....I know 5 got next gen enhancements but it's crazy how much better it looks than 4. Even without the improvements, it's probably gotta be the biggest graphical leap between sequels in a single gen.

As for the game, the intro chapter was dope but it's so damn boring to play. Not bad. Just...boring.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I've started playing Gears 4 after finishing 5 and godamn.....I know 5 got next gen enhancements but it's crazy how much better it looks than 4. Even without the improvements, it's probably gotta be the biggest graphical leap between sequels in a single gen.

As for the game, the intro chapter was dope but it's so damn boring to play. Not bad. Just...boring.
I think oblivion and skyrim - that transition is more stark

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017

agree it gets boring, but its so impressive how good it looks and runs on every hw from one x to a modest gaming pc or series x. they have a great technical foundation there, just need to take some risks and try new things on single player campaign at lest.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
agree it gets boring, but its so impressive how good it looks and runs on every hw from one x to a modest gaming pc or series x. they have a great technical foundation there, just need to take some risks and try new things on single player campaign at lest.
I think they need to rework the entire gameplay loop, make the game looser, like uncharted, with less bouncing between cover. Maybe focus on someone who is an ex-gear in human/civilian attire.

I just find gears to be the least interesting IP. I say that as someone who has purchased all of them except 5 and gotten Seriously on GoW1 and played it for five or six years. Nobody cares or talks about the game other than it's tech.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
The Gears IP was most fun for me when it was slathered in that incredibly stupid, over-the-top aesthetic but made genuine attempts at heartfelt war drama. I don't know why that weird mix worked so well for me and the latter stuff felt so rote, but the only thing I've really enjoyed about the latest games is anchoring them around Bailey as Kait.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
got series x this week, was more of an impulse buy when i see it in stock. was planning to go with pc and ps5 this gen.
im liking the thing though, it well built and surprisingly smaller than i expected too (especially standing next to ps5)
whole system software, ux feels more feature ready and stable than ps5 too.
though it also lacks some new gen shine compared to ps5, with the library etc. feels more like gpu upgrade in that sense.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Anyone else get occasional controller disconnects? Wondering if it's a bad controller or just something they need to iron out across the board.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Cyberpunk with no screen filters and quality mode can look insane at times. Then I notice 60 percent of my screen just popped in.