• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Bad experience tonight with the screening regularly flashing to black while using apps. Clearly this is a very common TCL tv problem based on this thread and online. Restarted the system and TV and no change. This shit needs to be fixed soon because my wife isn't happy about spending $500 and this is happening....

DarkManX

Dec 20, 2017
Seems like DOOM Eternal got a resolution bump on Series S.

Quote from reddit:

directly from the slayer's club on bethesda;

Xbox Series S -Increased default backwards compatibility mode resolution to 1080p at 60 HZ (with dynamic resolution scaling)

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I had my first real hiccup with my Series x today. I was playing fallout 76 and was booted to the dashboard out of nowhere. I received the "external SSD is ready" prompt as if I had just plugged in external storage, even though I had not. I had FO76 running on the storage it claimed had just been "detected ". It was a strange occurrence but it has not happened since.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

I'm still irritated that Ghost of Tsushima got nominated over Ori and the Will of the Wisps for GOTY.

Not even because I think GoT is a bad game (which it isn't), but because Ori 2 was just so obviously a superior choice. GoT is a fairly paint-by-numbers open world game with a story that finishes strong, and cool sword combat. Ori is one of the most eye-searingly beautiful 2.5D games I've ever seen, with incredibly tight combat, and emotional resonance.

Moon Studios deserved the recognition of at least a nomination in that category for their work.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Apparently, Quick Resume doesn't work with the 360 version of Darksiders II. Is there a list of other 360 games (or other games in general) that don't work with QR?

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
On a separate issue involving my Xbox Series X and my TCL TV...

I'm getting bad color banding/dithering on my TCL S405 that I hadn't noticed before. It seems more pronounced using my Xbox Series X than on other devices, though I can spot it there too. It's mainly in darker parts of the screen. These Forza Horizon 4 logos were a great example.

Is there a setting I need to change to get this to go away? I've been fiddling with every setting I can think of on the TV and Xbox. I've used different inputs and different HDMI cables. Is it just a part of my TV?

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Do y'all still get messages from the Xbox Live account with updates and stuff like that? They'd send you messages about what was coming to Game Pass, codes betas and alphas you signed up for, codes for Mixer bonuses you got from watching streams when that was a thing, etc. Did that just get replaced by the perks program or what?

Example
MM6ohP3.png

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Do y'all still get messages from the Xbox Live account with updates and stuff like that? They'd send you messages about what was coming to Game Pass, codes betas and alphas you signed up for, codes for Mixer bonuses you got from watching streams when that was a thing, etc. Did that just get replaced by the perks program or what?

Example
MM6ohP3.png

I still get these occasionally. Mostly about whatever is new on Game Pass.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Has anyone played vermin tide 2? I'm thinking of making that my first real Series X game. Never played it but seems like it got good reviews?

I fired it up the other day. Fun enough game, just wish it ran at 60. The menu system is pretty funny because it looks like they just dumped the UI of the PC version into the console port.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I think I'm officially throwing in the towel on Watch Dogs Legion. Played a little more after taking a short break due to frustration that my last game froze. Did a mission, went to quit the game in order to ensure that it saved, saw that it had frozen again, quit the game through the dashboard, re-loaded the game to find it didn't save my mission.

Uninstalled the game and removed the disc. Jesus. This game is not fun enough to excuse these annoyances.

Your wish has been granted lol. You must of played it a day or two early.

lol, I think I literally played it on December 2nd. It's funny too - I was going through Game Pass just a few minutes ago and saw the "X | S" optimized logo on the icon, and was like, "huh. Weird that it's still only 30fps." I'll have to try it again soon!

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, decided to order a Series S. Series X situation doesn't seem any better than with the PS5 here and since I skipped PS4/XboxOne it still should bring me a lot of fun with gamepass till I can just walk into a store for the big ones.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
(I seem to vaguely remember posting this exact anecdote and question in the past but don't recall getting any response)

In the past, I had some difficulties with Play & Charge Kits from Microsoft.

On Xbox 360, it felt like the batteries just diminished really fast and couldn't hold a charge after about a year of ownership. I gave up on them after about 3 years of constantly buying new battery packs within 7-9 months of the previous purchase just so they wouldn't die on me. I think this was the phase of electronics where battery diminishment from "overcharging" was still a reality and the play & charge kits of the era may have just been before smarter charging protocols existed to prevent this sort of thing?

When the Xbox One rolled around, I decided to give the new Play & Charge kit a shot. This was BEFORE the controller update that introduced Bluetooth capability to the controllers, so keep that in mind. Anyway, I ran into constant issues with my controllers disconnecting and randomly turning off even on a full charge whenever I was using a Play & Charge battery, usually within 10 minutes of boot up of my console. Switching to regular AA batteries ALWAYS fixed the issue.

Now the thing is, I switched to Eneloop rechargeable batteries and they work fantastically well for at-home play, but I also have a gaming laptop with its own dedicated Xbox controller (which I've just upgraded to a Series X|S controller) and hauling around an Eneloop Charger and some extra AA batteries feels like it wastes a bit too much space in my bag and finding a socket at work to plug in the Eneloop recharger is a bit awkward since most of the open slots are either far from my work space or crammed behind work equipment in tight spaces. And I play my laptop pretty much exclusively at work during downtime, so it is a constant pack-and-unpack process for me. For convenience sake, I've been considering just getting a Play & Charge Kit for the X|S controller so it's a matter of just plugging it in to my laptop directly for a recharge, but I worry that I might run into the same issues of the past.

Anyone got one and able to vouch for it? What's battery life on a full charge with the latest Play & Charge kits with the X|S controller? I've noticed with the Eneloops the X|S controller does seem to last less than the XB1 controller -- used to get around 30 hours on a full charge and now it feels like it's more like 15-20.

Oct 29, 2017
So just checking again. Who has had their console just completely shut off on them? Who has had weird graphic artifacting?

I had Yakuza 7 get stuck where my characters carried on running and my controller wouldn't do anything, and then about 20 seconds later my console shut off. Been fine since.

My dad got his Series X and looks like he installed the non-optimised version. After waiting hours and hours for it to download over his 15Mb connected, he was so excited to finally play it only to find it constantly crashing his console and shutting it off. He told me it crashed six times over the space of a couple of hours.

He's installed the optimised version yesterday and I've not heard him say about any crashes since though I have told him that COD is known for being buggy anyway and to turn off raytracing if it crashes again.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
And what have games are these at the moment? Are the X|S enhanced games considered series X games? Or are just xbox one games with patches?

Generally all of the Series X|S enhanced titles are considered to be, yes. However, people have discovered that a few games with enhancement updates still seem to be able to run off external drives, like Ori and the Will of the Wisps and... I can't remember the others.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Not for me quick results it's useless unless it works 100% for every new gen game. Betting isn't playing

Yeah, agreed. Quick Resume is a great feature conceptually, but unless it works consistently and I can trust it, it isn't worth much to me at the moment.

Right now I can't even flip to YouTube for a bit and back to AC Valhalla, without having to relaunch the game. That's something I could even do on my Xbox One X reliably.

I'm sure it'll get better, but for a signature feature, it's a bit "bleh" right now.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, agreed. Quick Resume is a great feature conceptually, but unless it works consistently and I can trust it, it isn't worth much to me at the moment.

Right now I can't even flip to YouTube for a bit and back to AC Valhalla, without having to relaunch the game. That's something I could even do on my Xbox One X reliably.

I'm sure it'll get better, but for a signature feature, it's a bit "bleh" right now.

It surprises me that this isn't really talked about to be honest. In theory it's an incredible feature and every time I've heard a journalist talk about it they've been raving over it, but for me I doubt it works more than three quarters of the time.

What annoys me is that there's no way of knowing if a game is suspended or not. Every time you restart a game it feels like a lottery. I have no idea why it works sometimes and not others.

The thing is that inconsistency makes the feature so much less valuable. You'd be crazy right now to not search for a save point.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
It surprises me that this isn't really talked about to be honest. In theory it's an incredible feature and every time I've heard a journalist talk about it they've been raving over it, but for me I doubt it works more than three quarters of the time.

What annoys me is that there's no way of knowing if a game is suspended or not. Every time you restart a game it feels like a lottery. I have no idea why it works sometimes and not others.

I mentioned this before: You know on the main screen, where it shows like the last 5-6 things you've launched? They need another bar underneath that, that shows the 5-6 games you have save states for, and as you add a new game, it drops the game on the far right off the bar. A dead simple solution to letting people quickly see what they have Quick Resume states for.

When it comes to the state of QR, right now I just honestly want clear messaging from Microsoft as to what the state of it is - EXACTLY what works, EXACTLY what doesn't, and what their immediate roadmap for fixing it looks like. Instead we've got this thread of people comparing notes of what games work for them and which don't, and a single tweet from Jason Ronald saying they know some games are having issues, and they are working on them - from like three weeks ago.

jdawg

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
What are the first couple of great exclusives coming out for Xbox?

I'm meant to be getting an x end of dec and quite excited about it

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I mentioned this before: You know on the main screen, where it shows like the last 5-6 things you've launched? They need another bar underneath that, that shows the 5-6 games you have save states for, and as you add a new game, it drops the game on the far right off the bar. A dead simple solution to letting people quickly see what they have Quick Resume states for.

When it comes to the state of QR, right now I just honestly want clear messaging from Microsoft as to what the state of it is - EXACTLY what works, EXACTLY what doesn't, and what their immediate roadmap for fixing it looks like. Instead we've got this thread of people comparing notes of what games work for them and which don't, and a single tweet from Jason Ronald saying they know some games are having issues, and they are working on them - from like three weeks ago.

To be honest I think it really ought to ask you which suspended game fo lose when you open new games. I don't want Rocket League to be suspended while a single player game gets deleted. It needs to warn you before it happens at the very least.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
To be honest I think it really ought to ask you which suspended game fo lose when you open new games. I don't want Rocket League to be suspended while a single player game gets deleted. It needs to warn you before it happens at the very least.

Oh sure, more granular control and information is always better - but what I proposed is an extremely simple thing that would make it 100% better.

Oct 27, 2017
QR needs more consistency, but even in its current state, it is a game changer for me personally. There are few things I've noted when using it:

-I have my turnoff system game. The reason being, I have let's say forza horizon 4 jedi fallen order and Gears 5 kind of locked in quick resume, and then my turn off game that won't be QR, either because it doesn't have the functionality or it's a game that I don't need it for.

-Multiplayer games that do offer QR, I just change to other games to lock them a suspended state before match making, (Works with Gears and MCC and BFV)

-Also, if I want something to not save its state in QR, I just open it up and quit the game, that also worked for as a sort of remove QR queue work around.

-To make up for a lack of a QR tray, or some transparent method of knowing what's in the QR que, (hopefully that's coming soon), I make sure to resume games that I'm actively playing or will play when I jump from game to game. So even if I say, stop playing Fallen Order for some days. I'll still boot it up so it's in the rotation along with daily play of forza and gears 5. This way I'm not really worried about losing a specific point. In fact, I'm play Valhalla and if I want to go to Gears, I'll do one race in Forza and maybe a combat sequence in Fallen Order, and then go to Gears.

Once I started figuring out how to sequence QR for myself I think I've had it not work less than a few times in several days, unless there was an issue with the game itself.

Kilirath

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone else experienced their console fully shutting down when they have it set to instant on? There's just been maybe 3 or 4 times since launch that I've turned it on and for whatever reason it's a cold boot up. Thankfully with the fast boot up speed it's not much of an issue. Just found it odd.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK

I wonder if it's something to do with app launching. I was trying to flick between Jedi fallen order and bt sport and it wasn't quick resuming.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone else experienced their console fully shutting down when they have it set to instant on? There's just been maybe 3 or 4 times since launch that I've turned it on and for whatever reason it's a cold boot up. Thankfully with the fast boot up speed it's not much of an issue. Just found it odd.
Could be a power outage? Or a console firmware update but there's only one of those afaik. Unless you're in a ring?

Otherwise that does sound weird.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
On quick resume...I think it's always going to be a semi random bonus that one of your games loads quicker than you expect because it's a QR.

UNLESS ms put a ton of work into the features and some of them may need dev support.

I used to regularly game on two consoles so I'm just in the habit of closing games so that my save file doesnt get locked between consoles.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
I'm still irritated that Ghost of Tsushima got nominated over Ori and the Will of the Wisps for GOTY.

Not even because I think GoT is a bad game (which it isn't), but because Ori 2 was just so obviously a superior choice. GoT is a fairly paint-by-numbers open world game with a story that finishes strong, and cool sword combat. Ori is one of the most eye-searingly beautiful 2.5D games I've ever seen, with incredibly tight combat, and emotional resonance.

Moon Studios deserved the recognition of at least a nomination in that category for their work.
Yeah, I'm with you. I can't speak for GoT, and I'm sure it's a fantastic game, but not seeing Ori 2 in that category was disappointing. Really hope Moon Studios win in other categories.

Just all around such a wonderful experience. I'm really surprised how much they managed to improve on the first game beyond "only" the combat system.

Kilirath

Oct 27, 2017
Could be a power outage? Or a console firmware update but there's only one of those afaik. Unless you're in a ring?

Otherwise that does sound weird.
Ah figured out what the cause was today. Failed console update I think. I'm in the beta preview ring. Seems to have been an issue with the update last night according to the Reddit area.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
So how do you safely remove/eject an external hard drive? I can't find any option and even after a full shutdown, I notice that my HDD light is still on