• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TK-421

Nov 30, 2017
Death Star
Ah that's great! So it seems to be faster, won't use the data cap, and for some games I'll only have to download a "smaller" patch (for enhanced titles) instead of the full game again? Sounds good.

Unfortunately, there's no "patch" when it comes up upgrading games to Series S|X versions, at least if I'm understanding your question correctly. If you have an Xbox One/One X version of a game, and you copy it to the Series S|X, it will then download the Series S|X version of the game the next time you try to play it which will be a full size download.

Smart Delivery means your console will download the right version of the game when you try to play it, not that it will incrementally patch whatever differences exists between versions of the game.

Last edited:

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to stop Xbox from syncing things like your home page setup? I moved my old xbox upstairs as a media only device mainly, so I want to remove groups from the homepage. But then that removes the groups from my Series X. I can't find a setting anywhere.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping someone here with a surround sound setup can help me out here or answer this...I added some rears to my Sonos system which enables the Surround Sound configuration. I've got the Arc+sub+2x OneSL speakers. This is an Atmos compatible set up, as such, I have my XSX set to Atmos as well. No issues when I was just using the Arc+sub.

However, now it seems like I'm running into some issues. Modern Warfare used the sound as you'd expect from a surround sound setup, but The Division 2, which is supposed to be Atmos enabled, only had sound coming from the Arc (i.e. center speaker). Halo 5 the same way. I went into the Xbox Dolby app to try the demos, and everything was working properly. I played TLOU 2 last night, and had no issues there. I can't imagine H5 or The Division 2, especially with latter supposedly being Atmos enabled, only having sound coming out of the bar itself and not the surrounds. Do I have something configured wrong here?

I also noticed that the XSX seems to output everything in Atmos when it is set as such in the OS. The One X didn't do this. If a game didn't support Atmos, it'd still play of course, but on the XSX everything is being outputted as Atmos according to my Sonos app. I'm wondering if that could be a potential issue as well.
Smokey only thing i can think of is make sure the games aren't on headphones in their own settings - having not dealt with atmos in sonos thats all the help i can be

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like my Series X has been a lot more stable the last few days. Games aren't crashing as much, not having as many weird launching errors. Immortals had an issue loading for the first time yesterday but worked flawlessly right after that. Feels good.

karmaforgotme

Oct 27, 2017
Knoxville, TN
I have a weird issue with Series X turning itself off, not while playing a game, but while I am using it as a streaming device. Since launch I have never had the Series X turn itself off while playing a game (once Cold War did freeze up and I had to force a reboot), but it seems like every other day it just shuts down at least once while watching something like the HBO Max app. I have felt of the console and it is not as hot at all (surprised how cool it is). When it shuts off the TV actually shut offs at first and within a second the Series X shuts down. I can immediately turn back it back on and the TV cuts back on with it (sometime my soundbar doesn't, but that is because it gets confused by me cutting it back on so fast), and it pretty much never happens again that day.

Now to be clear the Series X has replaced my AppleTV as our go to streaming device for the time being. I bet the hours streaming is 3x more than my time playing games (my wife works from home and has been re-watching Lost in the background during the day). I am not sure if this is some weird software issue or even a HDMI CEC issue or a true hardware issue with my Series X. It is not that big of deal given it is like a 10 second inconvenience a few times a week. Anyone else seen this? Is it even worth speaking with MS about this?

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Smart Delivery means your console will download the right version of the game when you try to place it, not that it will incrementally patch whatever differences exists between versions of the game.
this is my understanding. the xbox one/last gen and xbox series/current gen versions of games will always be two different executables or whatever is the proper lingo.

i've a question: headset compatibility on the series x. i've a pair of drop x sennheiser PC37X headphones coming and they use the split speaker/mic 3.5mm design. if i were to get an adapter, would they work plugged directly in to the bottom of the controller or do they need that xbox one headset adapter thing?

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Seems a friend of mine has been flawless since launch, then Cold War XS seem to have exposed a fault so a replacement it is!

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Smokey only thing i can think of is make sure the games aren't on headphones in their own settings - having not dealt with atmos in sonos thats all the help i can be

I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure they aren't. I even moved it to standard dolby digital and still wasn't getting the effect I was anticipating (division 2 and halo 5). Popped in Valhalla and everything seemed normal. idk.

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is the Series X like the PS4 where if I download a game from the US store, I can then switch regions and play the game in japanese, for example.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
All these reports of Call of Duty breaking next-gen consoles.. no chance I'm touching that game.

It's all good, I'm newly addicted to Gears 5 and Halo 5, they look/run FUCKING WELLLLLL on the Series X!

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, there's no "patch" when it comes up upgrading games to Series S|X versions, at least if I'm understanding your question correctly. If you have an Xbox One/One X version of a game, and you copy it to the Series S|X, it will then download the Series S|X version of the game the next time you try to play it which will be a full size download.

Smart Delivery means your console will download the right version of the game when you try to play it, not that it will incrementally patch whatever differences exists between versions of the game.

Ah so I shouldn't transfer Horizon 4 and Gears 5 over, but instead download it straight up? Same thing with Warzone I guess?

Oct 29, 2017
All these reports of Call of Duty breaking next-gen consoles.. no chance I'm touching that game.

It's all good, I'm newly addicted to Gears 5 and Halo 5, they look/run FUCKING WELLLLLL on the Series X!

Seriously, I got it bundled with my console too. Shitty part is I played an hour or two of it the other day and had a pretty decent time, but I haven't dared launch it again since reading all the horror stories. Guess I can free up the 120 GB (!!!) of space for some other games until a patch comes.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
Seriously, I got it bundled with my console too. Shitty part is I played an hour or two of it the other day and had a pretty decent time, but I haven't dared launch it again since reading all the horror stories. Guess I can free up the 120 GB (!!!) of space for some other games until a patch comes.
Here's hoping the patch comes sooner than later. Until then, Game Pass is a godsend :P

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
So. You can quick resume from an internal storage solution to an external storage solution. If I'm playing RE3 from internal and go to Bioshock infinite in external, both will quick resume. Now, I'm GUESSING that you can only quick resume one game off of external but we'll see soon.

you absolutely can quick resume off of external storage solutions. Multiple games. I genuinely didn't know that was possible. I have Bioshock infinite and shadow of the tomb Raider both on quick resume and they're both on a usb HDD and they both work.WHAT!? I mean the game states have to be saved in the internal but how can they bring up the game states back to gameplay without having the full game readily available on internal. That's nuts to me. That must mean they somehow can convert the game state save on the internal into full gameplay on the external. And all within like 5 seconds.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So. You can quick resume from an internal storage solution to an external storage solution. If I'm playing RE3 from internal and go to Bioshock infinite in external, both will quick resume. Now, I'm GUESSING that you can only quick resume one game off of external but we'll see soon.
Where the game is stored do not matter for Quick Resume, QR just dumps the RAM to the internal SSD, you can have 10+ 360 games on external working with QR as the limit is the amount of RAM used by the games (and thus the size of the dump).

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
Where the game is stored do not matter for Quick Resume, QR just dumps the RAM to the internal SSD, you can have 10+ 360 games on external working with QR as the limit is the amount of RAM used by the games (and thus the size of the dump).
Ahhh the ram is where it goes. That's what they meant by Virtual RAM in the videos before XSX came out

Deleted member 12317

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ahhh the ram is where it goes. That's what they meant by Virtual RAM in the videos before XSX came out
Virtual RAM ?

It does not "go in the RAM", QR is just taking and saving the game state's that is in the RAM to the SSD, just like save states on emulators or the Hibernate function of Windows*, on a per game basis.

It also work with disc based games (no matter where they are installed).
If it does not work with a game, it's just because they temporarily disabled it because of issues with that game, but the goal is to have it work on every games.

*Windows Hibernate function dumps the RAM to the HDD/SSD and turns off the computer. It can even be unplugged, and then on the next start it will restore the full Windows state with all apps and games that were opened.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
Virtual RAM ?

It does not "go in the RAM", QR is just taking and saving the game state's that is in the RAM to the SSD, just like save states on emulators or the Hibernate function of Windows*, on a per game basis.

It also work with disc based games (no matter where they are installed).
If it does not work with a game, it's just because they temporarily disabled it because of issues with that game, but the goal is to have it work on every games.

*Windows Hibernate function dumps the RAM to the HDD/SSD and turns off the computer. It can even be unplugged, and then on the next start it will restore the full Windows state with all apps and games that were opened.
I hear you trivializing this feature, but the solution itself, ubiquitously working across a spectrum of distribution models and storage solutions, to me? Absolutely bonkers

Deleted member 12317

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hear you trivializing this feature, but the solution itself, ubiquitously working across a spectrum of distribution models and storage solutions, to me? Absolutely bonkers
Yes it's a wonderful feature and not that simple to implement I guess, it's really great when it works and that it works across many storage solutions.
I was amazed when I went back home with my console on release day and saw several games coming back from Quick Resume when I launched them first at work earlier, I knew it would work, but seeing it in person made it real (like the first time you use your Switch handheld and put it on the dock to see it switch to the TV, just like in the ad :D).

Now to make it perfect many of us would like a menu dedicated to it to see which games are saved in Quick Resume and be able to switch to them, and even manage them (like preventing a game's state from being erased by another or just forcing a game into QR without having to launch another game).

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
Yes it's a wonderful feature and not that simple to implement I guess, it's really great when it works and that it works across many storage solutions.
I was amazed when I went back home with my console on release day and saw several games coming back from Quick Resume when I launched them first at work earlier, I knew it would work, but seeing it in person made it real (like the first time you use your Switch handheld and put it on the dock to see it switch to the TV, just like in the ad :D).

Now to make it perfect many of us would like a menu dedicated to it to see which games are saved in Quick Resume and be able to switch to them, and even manage them (like preventing a game's state from being erased by another or just forcing a game into QR without having to launch another game).
Oh my god yes. PLEASE give us that icon for quick resume

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone played vermin tide 2? I'm thinking of making that my first real Series X game. Never played it but seems like it got good reviews?

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I have a minor problem. Ever since I got my Series X, I haven't been able to see the number for how many friends are online whenever I press the Guide button. The number showed on my One X, so I'm wondering if it's just not showing on the Series X or if I have to change a setting somewhere.

Again, it's a minor problem. If that's by design, then whatever. It's not like I "need" to see that number.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
So far my biggest complaint about the Series S/X is the guide button. I had an Elite Series 2 that I sold because I didn't feel like I was getting the most out of it. That had a nice "clicky" guide button whereas the normal controllers are stupid mush. Why?!

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So far my biggest complaint about the Series S/X is the guide button. I had an Elite Series 2 that I sold because I didn't feel like I was getting the most out of it. That had a nice "clicky" guide button whereas the normal controllers are stupid mush. Why?!
Haven't noticed but I'll look out for it. I really do love the share button on the controller though, I hit it all the time. Feels so good.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
I have a minor problem. Ever since I got my Series X, I haven't been able to see the number for how many friends are online whenever I press the Guide button. The number showed on my One X, so I'm wondering if it's just not showing on the Series X or if I have to change a setting somewhere.

Again, it's a minor problem. If that's by design, then whatever. It's not like I "need" to see that number.

Yeah,that is new,it was doing that on the 1X also,you can see it if you click below though so like you said,Minor but I liked it like before also.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

Only the Elite Series 2 has that really clicky guide button. Every other Xbox controller since the One has had a mushy button.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I'm having audio and hdr issues. I have a soundbar and the audio cuts out when I go from dashboard to game, intermittently. Also, sometimes I've noticed the game display sdr when going to quick resume, I now make sure to quit entirely.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping more stability patches are forthcoming soon. My Series X hard crashes sometimes coming out of apps like Netflix, and when I close certain games

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah,that is new,it was doing that on the 1X also,you can see it if you click below though so like you said,Minor but I liked it like before also.

It still shows the number of messages and notifications, so it's a little weird not to have it for the friends list as well. I just thought that maybe I disabled it somehow and had to activate it again. Oh, well.

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having an issue where my XSX is dropping connection to my black Series controllers intermittently for the past week. After 30 seconds, it will reconnect the controller. Sometimes it can drop connection 3 times in an hour, and other times it is perfectly fine. Is anyone else experiencing this? I haven't tried out a One controller yet.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I asked in the TV thread, but does anybody have recommended settings for TCL Roku Series 6 TVs? I have one from a couple years ago and not sure if I should be configuring them differently... Mostly like whether I should use the HDR setting on the TV or the Xbox Series X or not.

Jasonofindy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having an issue where my XSX is dropping connection to my black Series controllers intermittently for the past week. After 30 seconds, it will reconnect the controller. Sometimes it can drop connection 3 times in an hour, and other times it is perfectly fine. Is anyone else experiencing this? I haven't tried out a One controller yet.

I haven't experienced this. Things to check:

Are your controllers updated to the current firmware?

Is your Router really close to the Xbox? Could be interference.

toneroni

Oct 25, 2017
Figure my era bros(and sis) can help me with this. Whats a better gift for a 1080p gamer? Series S or Xbox one X?

I'd likely try to play some PSO or Destiny 2 or some other game with them if possible. Maybe get them gold or game pass.
Are there good deals on digital games often? Have been out of the xbox world for a while.

Thanks!

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't experienced this. Things to check:

Are your controllers updated to the current firmware?

Is your Router really close to the Xbox? Could be interference.
My controllers are up to date in firmware.

My router is relatively close. The Xbox is sitting in a cubby hole in the entertainment center. The router is sitting on top of the entertainment center behind the TV. Is this a problem?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Figure my era bros(and sis) can help me with this. Whats a better gift for a 1080p gamer? Series S or Xbox one X?

I'd likely try to play some PSO or Destiny 2 or some other game with them if possible. Maybe get them gold or game pass.
Are there good deals on digital games often? Have been out of the xbox world for a while.

Thanks!
In all honesty, the Series X, mainly due to the SSD speeds etc, it probably the best option.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks!

There are weekly sales and then I think 1 large sale quarterly where you'll see games hit like 70% off. The Series S with Game Pass is a great way to go, the one thing to keep in mind is the storage. Since it's discless, that 512GB SSD goes pretty quick, especially with the amount of games available on Game Pass.

Jasonofindy

Oct 27, 2017
My controllers are up to date in firmware.

My router is relatively close. The Xbox is sitting in a cubby hole in the entertainment center. The router is sitting on top of the entertainment center behind the TV. Is this a problem?

I don't know for sure. I think the Xbox One and Series controllers use the 5 GHz band. I just brought it up because the randomness and sporadic nature of the disconnects sound like interference of some sort, and I was trying to think of a common source.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
There are weekly sales and then I think 1 large sale quarterly where you'll see games hit like 70% off. The Series S with Game Pass is a great way to go, the one thing to keep in mind is the storage. Since it's discless, that 512GB SSD goes pretty quick, especially with the amount of games available on Game Pass.
But for games on GamePass, an external SSD is quite cheap, from 60 to 100 bucks with adapter, while you can cycle through the new games on the S internal storage. I haven't seen drastic differences in loading times for older games.

(I don't know if S/X optimized have problems with that - like they actually run worse - but it's what I do for now; tho a Series X might be shipped to me soon [!?])

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

Thanks!

If you're buying this gift for a kid than go with the Series S. You'll often find good deals on the MS store and game pass is ideal for trying indies and first party games.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
But for games on GamePass, an external SSD is quite cheap, from 60 to 100 bucks with adapter, while you can cycle through the new games on the S internal storage. I haven't seen drastic differences in loading times for older games.

(I don't know if S/X optimized have problems with that - like they actually run worse - but it's what I do for now; tho a Series X might be shipped to me soon [!?])

Sure, it just becomes a cost question at that point. They can absolutely expand the storage in 2 ways, the expansion card or an external drive, but it's a question of if the person receiving it has a drive they can use/wants to buy a new one. It's just something to consider and once we get a year or 2 into the generation, all the games will be required to run off the internal/expansion card so you'll be cycling through games depending on how often you pick up something new/download a game from Game Pass.