• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My Series X has stopped turning on my TV when i turn the console on. It turned it on when i first got the series x day one but the past 2 days it just doesnt work anymore. All the CEC stuff is on, worked like a charm before (minus the volume, but thats another problem) but now it doesnt work.

Anyone else?

Now that you mention it... Yes

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Did some more digging and apparently TCL TVs are broken when it comes to the XSX, hopefully TCL can push out a patch soon.

answers.microsoft.com

Xbox Series X flashing black screen with audio still playing

Recently, my series X has been occassionally flashing a black screen for roughly 1-2 seconds while the audio still plays. It appears to happen after playing an SDR game which goes to auto HDR. It will

Damn it. At least that explains it.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Did some more digging and apparently TCL TVs are broken when it comes to the XSX, hopefully TCL can push out a patch soon.

answers.microsoft.com

Recently, my series X has been occassionally flashing a black screen for roughly 1-2 seconds while the audio still plays. It appears to happen after playing an SDR game which goes to auto HDR. It will

What a bummer, thanks for the heads up

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I got a series x from a co worker who got an extra pre order. Coming from a ps5 it feels...underwhelming? I have game pass but I'm just wondering what I should try first that would give me the "next gen" feeling

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I got a series x from a co worker who got an extra pre order. Coming from a ps5 it feels...underwhelming? I have game pass but I'm just wondering what I should try first that would give me the "next gen" feeling

That's funny I find the xsx more impressive of the two. The ui and controller on ps5 are far more impressive, but the games with x patches blew my mind particularly ori and Forza horizon

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Even if you've already played it, checking out Gears 5 again is kinda worth it. It was already pretty great looking before, but there's just an extra shine of polish on the visual front and the uncapped cutscenes (seems mostly 60 but some noticeable dips in them) kinda keep everything feeling consistent across the board visually.

Also, Gears 5 has some new low-latency controller response stuff going on and that works even when it's not in 120fps mode (120fps mode just makes it even better). It's absolute wizardry how responsive the controls feel in that game now, and I hope The Coalition is screaming at every other developer about how they achieved it.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Since launch I have only played BC games on my Series X but today I tried the enhanced version of We Happy Few, and I've noticed three things:

Console runs quiet with enhanced and BC software
Series X Enhanced games really warm up the system
The guide and dashboard can lag with enhanced games turned on

I didn't expect the dashboard to lag, reminds me of the PS4 dashboard playing CoD.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
So quick question I have a 2tb externals HDD (the official Xbox sea gate one) that I had almost all of my Xbox games on. Which ones should I move to the internal drive? Just the ones with a series x badge? If I don't move a series x badges game will it still work or not?

Is there a way like on PS5 to say put non series x games on external and Series x games on the internal?

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
So quick question I have a 2tb externals HDD (the official Xbox sea gate one) that I had almost all of my Xbox games on. Which ones should I move to the internal drive? Just the ones with a series x badge? If I don't move a series x badges game will it still work or not?

Is there a way like on PS5 to say put non series x games on external and Series x games on the internal?

Series X badge games won't work but I've read the Ori is an exception.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

There's no direct way to do this. What you can do is set the external drive as your default install location, and when you try to install a game that won't work on it, it'll prompt to warn you, and ask if you wanna install on the internal instead.

Other than that, there's no way to determine which drive it uses intelligently, ufortunately.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017

answers.microsoft.com

Huge bummer. This was happening to me and I thought the HDMI cable/ port was bad. Glad its a software issue and not hardware, just hope that it can get resolved quickly.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

If you've never played Gears 5 or Forza Horizon 4, I'd recommend starting with those. Gears 5's campaign in 4K60 is beautiful. Whether it looks "next-gen" to you is a matter of opinion, but I think it's one of the nicer looking "next-gen" experiences right now. The problem for people like me is it just... isn't new. Real-time cutscenes are razor sharp and silky smooth.

FH4 is a bit less immediately impressive, but still looks and feels amazing at 4K60.

If you're buying a Series X right now, you're ultimately mostly buying for either multiplats, Game Pass, or the exclusives starting around a year from now, when their 23+ teams start putting things out. Things are a little thin on the ground for exclusives at launch, if you played most of Microsoft's games on Xbox One.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
There's no direct way to do this. What you can do is set the external drive as your default install location, and when you try to install a game that won't work on it, it'll prompt to warn you, and ask if you wanna install on the internal instead.

Other than that, there's no way to determine which drive it uses intelligently, ufortunately.

Ok cool! Thank for the help. Last question, do non series x patched games benefit from being on the internal vs the external?

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Ok cool! Thank for the help. Last question, do non series x patched games benefit from being on the internal vs the external?

If your external is a SSD with a USB 3.1 connection, then I believe DF concluded it was basically a wash. I've got my own unoptimized games on an external SSD.

If your external is a HDD, it's much slower.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
If you've never played Gears 5 or Forza Horizon 4, I'd recommend starting with those. Gears 5's campaign in 4K60 is beautiful. Whether it looks "next-gen" to you is a matter of opinion, but I think it's one of the nicer looking "next-gen" experiences right now. The problem for people like me is it just... isn't new. Real-time cutscenes are razor sharp and silky smooth.

FH4 is a bit less immediately impressive, but still looks and feels amazing at 4K60.

If you're buying a Series X right now, you're ultimately mostly buying for either multiplats, Game Pass, or the exclusives starting around a year from now, when their 23+ teams start putting things out. Things are a little thin on the ground for exclusives at launch, if you played most of Microsoft's games on Xbox One.
Yeah that's what the odd feeling is I think. I had a one x so I've beaten gears and all the exclusives. I'll be diving back into destiny here with it on gamepass, and some stuff like no mans sky and halo. Also my main gaming friends prefer Xbox so aside from games with them and any gamepass or exclusives, ps5 is going to be my primary I think

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
They would load faster on the internal. I saw you have a 2tb HDD, games would load quicker than normal on that drive, but not as fast as the internal. If room is getting tight keep the non-enhanced games on the HDD.

subliminal17

May 21, 2018
My Series X has stopped turning on my TV when i turn the console on. It turned it on when i first got the series x day one but the past 2 days it just doesnt work anymore. All the CEC stuff is on, worked like a charm before (minus the volume, but thats another problem) but now it doesnt work.

Anyone else?

Yep, CEC has been broken since the update came through. Also, my Series X deleted the entire home screen for me for some reason. That happen for anyone else?

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
My CEC is still working, but sometimes my Xbox and receiver don't handshake properly so I need to restart the receiver. I blame the receiver for this though, the software on board is quite buggy. Still waiting on the VRR and ALM support.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT

Same. I had my PS5 for about two weeks before getting my Series X this week. For me, it's that the controller, astrobot, and just the design of the console made such a big first impression that there was really no way for the Series X to impress me as much. One X was my favorite platform of last gen and I spent far more time on it than my Pro, and this feels like an iteration of the One X. Same UI, slightly updated controller, and those X enhanced 1st party titles don't feel as shiny for me since I played through those already.

I don't regret my purchase, I'm just don't feel like I'm playing a new generation Xbox except for loading times on the internal SSD and when Quick Resume works. I really wish Halo would have been ready...

Mar 8, 2018

Anyone else?
So this happened to me two days ago, and it bothered me so I messed with the settings. I unchecked everything, rebooted the system, then rechecked everything, and it works now.

JackSwift

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So this happened to me two days ago, and it bothered me so I messed with the settings. I unchecked everything, rebooted the system, then rechecked everything, and it works now.
Its weird because when i turn the console off, the tv turns off too. It just doesnt turn it on. I will try your fix tomorrow though, hope that works for me.

When you say you rebooted, does that mean you fully shutdown, or just standby?

TK-421

Nov 30, 2017
Death Star
Did anyone purchase the extended warranty from Microsoft? Thinking if it's worth it or not

Yes, and yes. I bought it with my Xbox One X that died after 18 months. Cost me $20 to ship it back to Microsoft and they fixed it and sent it back at no additional cost. Would've been a brick since the standard warranty is 12 months. With this being new hardware, I fully expect it to break down or die at some point so the $49 is worth it to me.

Can you get one from any purchase like AppleCare?

You can purchase it up to 45 days after you buy your console, but as far as I know you can only buy it directly from Microsoft

Microsoft Complete - Protection Plan for your Surface or Xbox- Microsoft

Microsoft Complete - Protection Plan for your Surface or Xbox covers your device up to 2 years for Surface, and up to 3 years for Xbox

Omniblack

Jul 10, 2020
Looks like quick resume started working on Valhalla again for me this evening.
Sad to say it didn't work for me in dragon quest.
Edit: on that note no achievements listed either, both can be ironed out, just weird is all.

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
I think it is bugged. I was following HDTV Test settings and on the first screen he suggests if you have a OLED you click to the right until it stops. Prior to the last update you get a point where it stops, but after the update you can click right forever and it never stops and you can click right a few times where it is a solid black, but keep clicking another 10 times and then do one click to the left and you see the boxes. This did not happen prior to the last update.
The thing is I don't remember how it was before the update but I just noticed the issue. Sucks to go through the calibration everytime I turn on the console.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone had issues with the video signal going out for a second infrequently? Every once in awhile, the screen will flicker black on my TV (TCL S405) and then come back. I haven't had this issue with my PS4 Pro or Apple TV. It's not an HDR thing either, as I've seen it happen more in SDR than not.

I've never used an Xbox with this TV before, so I'm not sure if there's a specific known issue with Xbox or a setting I need to change.

For example, my kid is watching old Scooby Doo episodes in HBO Max and the screen went out for a second 3 times within this 20 minute episode.
This happens whenever I watch Disney+

Lucini

Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me or is getting the next-gen versions of EA titles (Madden and FIFA) really difficult to trigger in the store?

I had both gifted to me, digitally. Getting the Madden to download was like pulling teeth, and FIFA made me jump through hoops and eventually just install the EA Play trial. I don't know what's going on but it's annoying.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if Local Area Transfer between Xbox One and Xbox Series X uses the data cap? Also, is it faster than straight up downloading from the Xbox Store/Internet?

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Anyone know if Local Area Transfer between Xbox One and Xbox Series X uses the data cap? Also, is it faster than straight up downloading from the Xbox Store/Internet?

Network transfer was like ~350Mbps for me. Local data transfers never take up the data cap since you aren't using the internet for that; I might be wrong with the reasoning but I'm pretty confident about data caps not affected by such transfers.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Network transfer was like ~350Mbps for me. Local data transfers never take up the data cap since you aren't using the internet for that; I might be wrong with the reasoning but I'm pretty confident about data caps not affected by such transfers.

Ah that's great! So it seems to be faster, won't use the data cap, and for some games I'll only have to download a "smaller" patch (for enhanced titles) instead of the full game again? Sounds good.

niaobx

Aug 3, 2020
One thing that annoys me is that the game is asking me to confirm the profile that is logged in for no good reason. I start up the console. I'm logged in. I launch the game. It asks me to pick who is playing. Why, god, why, one controller should equal one logged in profile and what reason there is to confirm it all the time? Using two controllers and two profiles is a bit too obtuse for me as well, sometimes the Xbox guide view shows two different profiles, sometimes only one.

Someone above wrote about EA sports games being difficult to install - absolutely correct. Looking for FIFA 21 SX edition trial was way too much steps than it should have taken.

Cincaid

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Just a small thing, but I have previously vented regarding the Arctis 9X and the poor connectivity + other issues with regards to the Series X. I finally returned the 9X and replaced it with 7X instead, and man am I happy I did that. It uses a dongle instead of the Xbox wireless, and it doesn't have bluetooth to have another device connected at the same time, but otherwise I'm so glad I made the switch. Same great audio, same great comfort, and most importantly zero issues so far. If anyone is experiencing issues with the 9X I can only recommend to replace it with a 7X instead.

jmood88

Oct 28, 2017
I finally got my Xbox last night, started installing NBA 2k21 and Assassin's Creed, and they're both still currently installing because the series X has the same fucking random installation stops as the Xbox One. This is very irritating.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I had grabbed the Shock Blue Xbox Series controller on Xbox.com's Black Friday special.

I think it's the first time I've ever disliked a "special edition" Xbox controller. I think the blue looks much better in promo shots than in real life, and the variable color tones (like the white back and black bumpers/triggers) kinda looks off to me. Sorta wish they'd just done the traditional jewel face buttons instead of monochroming it with the blue, too.

Still, grateful to have it handy as an extra but I think my favorite is still the white controller from the current lineup. If they ever re-open Design Lab again, I might actually order my own custom for the first time since I do legitimately love this new Series controller -- it feels extremely good in my hands as I've explained in previous posts.

When Design Lab comes back, I do hope that Microsoft offers like a $20-30 upcharge to add paddle slots to the back of a REGULAR controller though, that's the one thing I miss from the Elite. They can miss me with the huge price, metallic build parts and rubberized coating, though -- all of that stuff feels superfluous and excessively cost-hiking to me. I just want paddle slots (keep them magnetic like on the Elite, that mechanism works quite well as far as metal components go) and maybe the ability to toggle two paddle assignment presets. This new bumpy plastic feels tactile and satisfying enough to hold to me, even compared to the rubberized coating of the Elite Series 2, and the ergonomics though visually subtle do feel noticeably better to my own hands though they weren't lacking necessarily, the degree to which I've noticed the ergonomic changes has been vastly more than I ever expected just looking at the controller.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Yep, CEC has been broken since the update came through. Also, my Series X deleted the entire home screen for me for some reason. That happen for anyone else?
yeah had both those issues - had to rearrange my home screen etc but the CEC issue was resolved after a proper restart. seems to work now.

One thing that annoys me is that the game is asking me to confirm the profile that is logged in for no good reason. I start up the console. I'm logged in. I launch the game. It asks me to pick who is playing. Why, god, why, one controller should equal one logged in profile and what reason there is to confirm it all the time? Using two controllers and two profiles is a bit too obtuse for me as well, sometimes the Xbox guide view shows two different profiles, sometimes only one.
i don't have enough experience with xbox one games as i ditched my console shortly after launch but i believe devs can do something differently with profiles because yeah, some games don't ask you to choose/confirm what account you're using at all. forza i think? there seems to be a few different ways the system works with that, the most obtrusive being the UI pop up asking you to choose which account, i assume that's an older 'way' of handling that stuff and games just haven't been updated.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
bout to download black ops cold war.

does ray tracing mess up the performance in spots i.e the bigger maps (with a high fov)? I've heard it had some issues there.

Oct 25, 2017

Someone above wrote about EA sports games being difficult to install - absolutely correct. Looking for FIFA 21 SX edition trial was way too much steps than it should have taken.
Edit: never mind, this is on a per game basis so there you go