• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno if I ever did but thanks to everyone who offered their input on the Series S.

After some consideration I think I'll buy a Series S. I'm basing my reasoning on the fact that it will be primarily a Gamepass box, and that I'll also get a PS5. Furthermore, given that mid gen refresh are pretty much a certainty, I couldn't justify dropping another 400-500 bucks on that.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Ok my friends xsx just crashed on him. He was getting major frame drops playing black ops and it just completely shut off on him. Just wondering if anybody else has experienced that?

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Yes, loads, don't play COD until it's patched, it's an absolute joke and could brick the machine

Ughh that's a bummer. I feel bad my buddy went with xsx this time around and he's been regretting it a bit, he's having a rough year overall but that's a different story. Trying to ease his mind that this isn't his console dying.

Oct 27, 2017
Ughh that's a bummer. I feel bad my buddy went with xsx this time around and he's been regretting it a bit, he's having a rough year overall but that's a different story. Trying to ease his mind that this isn't his console dying.
My Xbox One X has also shut down completely with this game. I think a patch will be issued with S1 starting soon.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
Ok my friends xsx just crashed on him. He was getting major frame drops playing black ops and it just completely shut off on him. Just wondering if anybody else has experienced that?
My friend is experiencing the same thing. He turned off the Ray Tracing features on the Video settings of the game and so far he hasn't complained again.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Thanks for the responses! I feel a little responsible right now haha I kinda swayed him towards xsx despite being a Sony fan, just because he plays more casually and I think gamepass would suit him. The cross chat on cod has sucked and it's running like ass for him, hoping they can sort that out. I played it briefly ony xsx and I noticed 0 issues but maybe I didn't play enough.

iTheFlashback

Nov 16, 2020
EnsjOuNWEAM5vrd

I have this happening every time I use instant on feature, going back to energy saving fixes the issue. Contacted support last week and they said to do a reset of the machine, seemed fixed but the problem is now back again.

Tried my luck on google but hasn't been able to find much on it.

Anyone with similiar issue?

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Noob question. Just got Series X. Is it ok to play vertical on a carpet floor?
I wouldn't recommend putting electronics directly on carpet in general. Risk of static discharge, IMO.

It'd be better to put it on some type of platform. Doesn't need to be fancy; just needs to be something the machine can rest on without touching carpet.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
EnsjOuNWEAM5vrd

I have this happening every time I use instant on feature, going back to energy saving fixes the issue. Contacted support last week and they said to do a reset of the machine, seemed fixed but the problem is now back again.

Had a very similar pattern randomly pop up on my old 360 that eventually red ring'd a few weeks later

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
So I noticed something today:

Bought Saint's Row 3 Remastered, and when I was looking at the info on my XSX, the game's reserved 18GB, not sure why...

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Had Hellblade lock up on me and I panicked. Console kept running but the game just wouldn't. Luckily it appears to just be the game and nothing further. Phew.

Cookie Juice

Sep 14, 2020
Has anyone had the audio die on their Series X?
One day it just stopped outputting audio. The only thing that fixed it was a full system reset. Not even full shutdown or unplugging for a while did the trick.
At me this happens at least once a day. I guess it is my receiver acting up. I need to go to the sound settings and switch from 5.1 to 7.1 and back. After that it will work again for a few hours. I have the XSX hooked up to an old Denon AVR 1910.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
I dunno if I ever did but thanks to everyone who offered their input on the Series S.

After some consideration I think I'll buy a Series S. I'm basing my reasoning on the fact that it will be primarily a Gamepass box, and that I'll also get a PS5. Furthermore, given that mid gen refresh are pretty much a certainty, I couldn't justify dropping another 400-500 bucks on that.

I can't remember where I saw it, but I'm sure Phil Spencer has said that it's unlikely Xbox and Sony will do mid-gen refreshes this gen, due to the costs of hardware components not dropping in price quick enough these days. Prices for the SX and PS5 will therefore remain high, making a refresh a bad idea.

I personally don't see it happening, as it seems they've both spent a ton getting the hardware they want at launch (no weak CPU holding them back) and are likely taking a hit releasing the consoles at the prices they did.

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing AC : Valhalla flawlessly for 20~ hrs with at least 2 4-5hr sessions, no problems here. Also didnt notice I got the UI update that has the new background patterns, neat! Ribbons is a real winner.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
EnsjOuNWEAM5vrd

I'm getting this the last couple days...pretty annoying. I can still hear me mice around the dash...so the system is still functional when it happens to me. Switching ports back and forth stopped it both times. I'll take it off instant on then since that helps.

Oct 27, 2017
I can't remember where I saw it, but I'm sure Phil Spencer has said that it's unlikely Xbox and Sony will do mid-gen refreshes this gen, due to the costs of hardware components not dropping in price quick enough these days. Prices for the SX and PS5 will therefore remain high, making a refresh a bad idea.

I personally don't see it happening, as it seems they've both spent a ton getting the hardware they want at launch (no weak CPU holding them back) and are likely taking a hit releasing the consoles at the prices they did.
Well, even that case I dont find that compelling having two boxes that do the same thing :p

Jul 26, 2018
Genshin Impact is on PC/PS5/Android/Switch but not available for us :(, I'm guessing because Xbox is not big on their target markets. Has anyone heard if they're considering releasing it on xbox?

Feb 27, 2019
Wasn't going to buy at launch but got so hyped and managed to get an order in on the MS Store yesterday...but now I have to wait till late December! At least I know it's coming though.

For those who ordered direct from MS, how long does it stay pending? At checkout they estimated 12/23 for ship date but said console won't ship till after the holiday. Honestly that's fine, but I still hope it comes sooner!

SonicRift

Oct 27, 2017
I've got an Xbox One S loaded with games on an external drive, and I'm replacing it with a Series S (if Best Buy Canada ever ships it...). Can I just plug my One S's external drive into the Series S, log in, and start playing those games? Or will I need to format the drive and redownload everything? I'm not having any luck finding that info on the Googles, so I thought this'd be the place to ask.

I know if there's X/S upgrades, like with the Halo collection, I'll be redownloading to system storage, but I've just rejoined Gamepass and have like 100 gigs of downloads queued up, and I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time.

Also, I think some of the Master Chief Collection games download seperately. Is it possible to have the XB One version of most of the games, but then have, say, Halo 4 install the X/S enhanced version?

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't going to buy at launch but got so hyped and managed to get an order in on the MS Store yesterday...but now I have to wait till late December! At least I know it's coming though.

For those who ordered direct from MS, how long does it stay pending? At checkout they estimated 12/23 for ship date but said console won't ship till after the holiday. Honestly that's fine, but I still hope it comes sooner!
I ordered mine on 11/10, still waiting. They are definitely shipping out consoles though but they obviously haven't gotten to the time period I ordered mine at. People that ordered earlier in the night on 11/10 have been receiving theirs.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
I've got an Xbox One S loaded with games on an external drive, and I'm replacing it with a Series S (if Best Buy Canada ever ships it...). Can I just plug my One S's external drive into the Series S, log in, and start playing those games? Or will I need to format the drive and redownload everything? I'm not having any luck finding that info on the Googles, so I thought this'd be the place to ask.

I know if there's X/S upgrades, like with the Halo collection, I'll be redownloading to system storage, but I've just rejoined Gamepass and have like 100 gigs of downloads queued up, and I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time.

Also, I think some of the Master Chief Collection games download seperately. Is it possible to have the XB One version of most of the games, but then have, say, Halo 4 install the X/S enhanced version?
Just plug in the hard drive no reformat needed. Games that need to run on the internal SSD will move themselves when getting updated.

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
I have a weird controller bug that happens sometimes. The XSX will stop responding to input, and I have to connect my other controller (wtf) that will work, and then my normal controller will start working again. This has only happened when I'm on the Home Screen, not in game at least.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Was able to use mine for a couple of hours after bringing it home last night. I didn't get a chance to play any X enhanced games last night other than MCC, they all downloaded overnight, but I did play some 360 and Xbox One games.

Batman Arkham Origins - Seems like frame rate issues that persisted even on One X have finally been squashed, but I didn't get a chance to fight any real big groups so who knows. The HDR though does look good but some buildings are jaggy as hell. Would be a great candidate to be enhanced officially.

Fight Night Champion - Very impressed with the auto HDR on this one. Since the arena is mostly dark, the ring lights look fantastic and really helped to make the fighters look more realistic. I was very impressed.

Halo 5 - it was nice to finally see this game in HDR.

MCC - I tried H2A and it looked like the slowdown was eliminated in the campaign finally.

All my enhanced games and other BC games that wasn't on my external drive downloaded overnight and I can't wait to dive into some actually enhanced games tonight.

I liked the extra grip on the controller and the shoulder buttons. They feel really nice. The system is super quiet like my One X was. The disc drive is also quieter than my PS5 disc drive. The animated background is also a nice touch.

Last edited:

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
My Series X does not automatically connect to my wifi on boot up. I have to go to Settings -> Network Settings screen. It initially says my wifi is unavailable, but if I just let it sit on the screen it eventually connects after about 30 seconds or so. Anyone else experiencing anything like this? No other devices in my house have issues connecting (iPhones, Apple Tvs, Switch, PS5, Desktop PC's).

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Fight Night Champion - Very impressed with the auto HDR on this one. Since the arena is mostly dark, the ring lights look fantastic and really helped to make the fighters look more realistic. I was very impressed.

Oh, hadn't considered the auto HDR in this game. I should check it out, haven't played it for ages.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
i never got answer to my question

if i load up a game on a non-quick resume xbox, what happens to the quick resume state on the 'other' xbox after i've played and saved later on in the game on the non-quick resume xbox?

(sorry if that's confusing)

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Does anyone have an up-to-date list of games that are cross-play between Xbox and PC? I know there's gotta be someone out there tracking this on a Google Doc lol.

I decided to sell my Series S to a friend after ordering an X but would still like some games to play with them in the interim.

It blows my mind MCC isn't cross-play yet.

Mar 8, 2018
I'm still so tempted to get the Seagate card, but at the same time it seems like a large expense for such a small storage to price ratio. Having a hard time deciding if the convenience of the Seagate card outweighs the benefits of expanded storage. For those who are using cold storage/mass storage for backwards compatible games, how's your experience?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone have any hands-on experience with Assetto Corsa Competizione on Series X? I know it had gotten 1X improvements (I believe finally including 60 fps support?), but I'm not sure what to expect from it, and the sale price is in the right ballpark for another day or so.

Jasonofindy

Oct 27, 2017

I'm assuming you have a 12/23 estimate for an X? I have a launch day X here that I preordered through Target. My son is primarily a Switch gamer, but has really seemed to jump into playing my X and GamePass games. So I decided to get him a couple years of GamePass and a Series S for him to keep at his mom's house. I was finally able to snag an order through Microsoft's site on 11/22. Unfortunately, it currently has a 1/5 delivery date. It has been over a week and it looks like the "Pending" status is going to stick around until they get closer to actually shipping. Also, a heads up that they apparently reauthorize your card every week or so, but they don't actually charge until it is shipping.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
i never got answer to my question

if i load up a game on a non-quick resume xbox, what happens to the quick resume state on the 'other' xbox after i've played and saved later on in the game on the non-quick resume xbox?

(sorry if that's confusing)

You'll be told there's a later save and booted back to the title screen. That's how it works on Yakuza.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
My Series X does not automatically connect to my wifi on boot up. I have to go to Settings -> Network Settings screen. It initially says my wifi is unavailable, but if I just let it sit on the screen it eventually connects after about 30 seconds or so. Anyone else experiencing anything like this? No other devices in my house have issues connecting (iPhones, Apple Tvs, Switch, PS5, Desktop PC's).
Have you tried forgetting your wifi network on the Xbox and re-adding it? That tends to be a good troubleshooting step on other devices.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Have you tried forgetting your wifi network on the Xbox and re-adding it? That tends to be a good troubleshooting step on other devices.

I have. That didn't work. I have a pair of Arctis 7X wireless headphones. I suspect that booting the console with the USB transmitter is causing the issue for some reason. I removed it and restarted and it connected immediately like normal. I haven't bothered to reboot with the dongle connected yet, but pretty sure that is the issue as it has come and gone multiple times and I'm confident it correlates to when the USB dongle has been inserted at boot.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
MS warranty service has been great so far for my not-powering-on console. One day to ship the console, one day to inspect, one day to ship it back out from their facility. I used the standard shipping so hopefully back by next week.

Should have just done this in the first place instead of trying to wait on EB to get units in to do a defect exchange...

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I have. That didn't work. I have a pair of Arctis 7X wireless headphones. I suspect that booting the console with the USB transmitter is causing the issue for some reason. I removed it and restarted and it connected immediately like normal. I haven't bothered to reboot with the dongle connected yet, but pretty sure that is the issue as it has come and gone multiple times and I'm confident it correlates to when the USB dongle has been inserted at boot.
Does your router have a 5ghz band? Try that out if it does, since the headset is 2.4 ghz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still so tempted to get the Seagate card, but at the same time it seems like a large expense for such a small storage to price ratio. Having a hard time deciding if the convenience of the Seagate card outweighs the benefits of expanded storage. For those who are using cold storage/mass storage for backwards compatible games, how's your experience?
I opted for a 2tb 2.5" QVO SSD for about ~$20 cheaper than the 1tb card at the time that I bought it. Figured I'd use it for BC games to benefit from load times and keep games off the internal that don't need to be there. Transferring between the two drives is extremely fast as well. Right now the 2tb EVO drive is the same price as the QVO so it's really good time to get a 2.5 SSD if you go that route.