• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Dumb question but how do I swap the new controller between my Series X and PC? I read it can be used with both without having to resync?

Heisenberg

Oct 25, 2017
Can you use 2 separate external hard drives to store games on the Series X? I couldn't find any info.
Any help would be much appreciated!

lemmykoopah

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wish I could turn off Quick Resume entirely. It's a cool feature in theory, but I imagine it must be reserving a lot of space on the harddrive (I'm using a Series S, so getting some of that space back would be nice), but also, it's very buggy. I played a part of a mission in DMC5 yesterday and then quit. I booted up the game today and noticed it used Quick Resume so I could resume exactly where I left off. I ended up playing through rest of the mission... and then it soft-locked at a screen when it said "saving." I had to restart the game and it turns out I had lost all the progress for that mission.
When you excited your game go to home screen and navigate to the dmc icon, then press the little button on your controller next to the game share button, from there on choose 'exit game'. That will fully close the game and disable the quick resume.

lemmykoopah

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Guys is it normal when I put the console on power save mode that I can't use the controller to turn on the console? I have to use the button on the xbox to power it on.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
So im going to get a SSD for storing my Xbox One and 360 games on, is there a certain USB to SSD cable/adapter i should be looking at or will any old one do??

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
So im going to get a SSD for storing my Xbox One and 360 games on, is there a certain USB to SSD cable/adapter i should be looking at or will any old one do??

I'm using the Samsung 860 EVO and it works great. I recommend getting a "bare" drive and getting a separate enclosure or a cable like the sabrent. Much cheaper than a regular external drive and just as good or better performance.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone's system make a weird mechanical sound when you first power it on? Almost sounds like the disc drive is checking for a disc or something.

Cincaid

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Loving my Series X, but the trouble I'm having with connectivity with my controllers is driving me nuts. Often I cannot turn on the Xbox with the controller so I have to turn it on by pushing the button on the Xbox. The controller won't pair by then, sometimes it's enough to plug it to the machine to make it "stick", but most times I need to fully shut down the Xbox and restart it. And often when I turn the Xbox into sleep mode it turns itself on right after, and once again the controller is not connected. Repeat above process.

I have no fucking idea what the issus is, but this is happening with both the new controller and my Elite Series 2 controller. When the controller finally is connected everything is working as expected, but for some reason turning on/off the machine is a complete headache. And don't even get me started on the troubles I'm having with my Arctis 9X.

Dec 11, 2017
Is there any discussion from official MS folks about Quick Resume? The chaotic nature to it is proving to be a little frustrating at the moment. This is such an amazing feature but now it's hurting me every time I switch away from the likes of Valhalla.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
My screen keeps flashing black. Every few seconds of gameplay. Anyone else experiencing this?

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if Series X issue, or Halo 3 (MCC) issue. Two cutscenes in a row with no audio. When I finished the mission, it kicked me out to the main menu instead of continuing the game. When I tried to go back into the game, it just wouldn't load anything and I had to restart the console.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
Loving my Series X, but the trouble I'm having with connectivity with my controllers is driving me nuts. Often I cannot turn on the Xbox with the controller so I have to turn it on by pushing the button on the Xbox. The controller won't pair by then, sometimes it's enough to plug it to the machine to make it "stick", but most times I need to fully shut down the Xbox and restart it. And often when I turn the Xbox into sleep mode it turns itself on right after, and once again the controller is not connected. Repeat above process.

I have no fucking idea what the issus is, but this is happening with both the new controller and my Elite Series 2 controller. When the controller finally is connected everything is working as expected, but for some reason turning on/off the machine is a complete headache. And don't even get me started on the troubles I'm having with my Arctis 9X.
I have found that if i go to use my Arctis 9X straight after charging from the USB i have real trouble pairing it or hearing any sound, drives me mad.

Only seems to be after charging though.....

oasis007

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody else having issues with Sea of Thieves not launching? It sometimes takes me 5-7 attempts to get into a game. It just locks up and freezes the console. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling

jdawg

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
have they patched gta5 to for series x? Really excited for the bc that bumps older games up to 4K 60fps. What a rad benefit. I've managed to get a preorder for the series X. Getting hyped

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
finally got around to playing Destiny 2 Beyond Light. I was trying to wait till it got a next gen patch on Dec 8th. But couldn't hold off any longer.

The load times are so good. Actually getting into menu's and inventory with no lag feels so good. Made me realize how much i actually would wait in-game till i thought i was in a safe spot that i could waste time in the menu. But its so snappy now. U can just get behind cover in a firefight and reasonably use a consumable no problem.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
My screen keeps flashing black. Every few seconds of gameplay. Anyone else experiencing this?

This has happened occasionally for me as well. Not sure if its the TV or system. I believe it is the TV since when it has happened, games would still load and tv shows would still be playing.

I'm using a TCL 6 series if that helps.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen it happen twice.
This has happened occasionally for me as well. Not sure if its the TV or system. I believe it is the TV since when it has happened, games would still load and tv shows would still be playing.

I was playing Minecraft Dungeons with my son, and that seemed to trigger it.

I guess I have my PS5 HDMI to test it out with another cable, but I have a feeling it isn't the cable. Feels like a software glitch with the tv to console handshake.

Oct 25, 2017

I've been seeing this on my TCL p600 in video and system menus. Not so much during gameplay. I know my TV updated last week. I think I'll try a rollback on firmware and see what happens.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Can you use 2 separate external hard drives to store games on the Series X? I couldn't find any info.
Any help would be much appreciated!
You can use up to 3 on the Series X/S. Only reason it is limited to 3 is because of only 3 USB ports. Technically, it is 4 if you have the SSD Expansion as well. I have the Internal SSD, SSD Expansion and 2 USB 3.1 SSD's.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Random stupid question regarding Gamepass. I'm currently paying for Gamepass monthly but I got three months with the Gamestop bundle. Do I have to cancel my subscription and then add the gamepass code or if I hit redeem card/code it'll just stop payments for three months?

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Random stupid question regarding Gamepass. I'm currently paying for Gamepass monthly but I got three months with the Gamestop bundle. Do I have to cancel my subscription and then add the gamepass code or if I hit redeem card/code it'll just stop payments for three months?
Your membership would just get charged again once your membership expires after the code's 3 months have run out.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
You are good to go. You just add the 3 months you got to your account. Once you do that, if you check your status, you will see that the next time you will be billed would be after those 3 months from the card you got. A lot of us took advantage of the sale that Best Buy, Amazon and even Target which had 3 months cards for $20!!!! I bought 7 of them and am good with Game Pass till March 2023. I was previously paying the $14.99 a month....so the next time they charge me that fee will be after March 2023.

You can stack up to 3 years worth....so if you can find 3 month cards on sale but a bunch and load up!

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
When you excited your game go to home screen and navigate to the dmc icon, then press the little button on your controller next to the game share button, from there on choose 'exit game'. That will fully close the game and disable the quick resume.
Yeah, I'll be making sure games are booted without quick resume from now on. Just wish I could turn that feature off completely so I don't have to restart games as I boot them up, and also get back some of that reserved space. I'm not sure how much space the machine is reserving for quick resume, but I imagine it has to be a lot. It needs to be able to dump the entire RAM for a game, so maybe 50gb or so is reserved so it can quick resume from multiple games?

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do the new series x controllers hurt anyone else's hands? The grip on the back hurts and feels like pins after a few minutes. I must have super-sensitive hands 😑

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Do the new series x controllers hurt anyone else's hands? The grip on the back hurts and feels like pins after a few minutes. I must have super-sensitive hands 😑

That's awful :(

I personally love the controllers. Outside of just how loud the dpad is, this is probably my new favorite. I can't help but think "cheap" every time I pick up Switch Pro controller now

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's awful :(

I personally love the controllers. Outside of just how loud the dpad is, this is probably my new favorite. I can't help but think "cheap" every time I pick up Switch Pro controller now
Yeah, it definitely is refined in everyway. I can't find a single mention of this online, so it must definitely just be a me thing. And yeah lol the build quality on the new controllers are way pass the switch pro.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
After almost three weeks with a broken XSX and I am sure a stolen system in El Paso Fed Ex, I am getting a replacement system tomorrow. It's been too long and I am a little disappointed in how long it took, but I am sure MSFT didn't anticipate the problems in El Paso. As soon as I emailed them about the week delay, they had a new one on the way. Hopefully, this one doesn't brick on me.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone had the audio die on their Series X?
One day it just stopped outputting audio. The only thing that fixed it was a full system reset. Not even full shutdown or unplugging for a while did the trick.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Your membership would just get charged again once your membership expires after the code's 3 months have run out.
You are good to go. You just add the 3 months you got to your account. Once you do that, if you check your status, you will see that the next time you will be billed would be after those 3 months from the card you got. A lot of us took advantage of the sale that Best Buy, Amazon and even Target which had 3 months cards for $20!!!! I bought 7 of them and am good with Game Pass till March 2023. I was previously paying the $14.99 a month....so the next time they charge me that fee will be after March 2023.

You can stack up to 3 years worth....so if you can find 3 month cards on sale but a bunch and load up!

Thanks, and thanks for telling me about the target codes, I'm about to go ahead and by some of those!

MrJames

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using a Samsung 870 QVO 4TB SSD with a Sabrent SATA to USB 3.1 adapter. It has worked fine until this afternoon. All of a sudden it showed as 100% used with no games showing up. I had about 75% full at that point. I tried to free up some space and it freed up about 14GB of extras from Forza and Ace Combat but I still couldn't access the games anymore. I was afraid the SSD died so I connected it to my PC. I had to initialize it and once that happened, my PC recognized the drive but it looks like that may have ruined it for the Xbox as an external drive. The Xbox now requires it to be formatted to be used as an external storage. So everything is gone. All my game saves are in the cloud but over 2.5TB of installs is going to take a while to add back on. Mostly disc installs but there are a lot of patches that will probably be needed that will eat some bandwidth.

Does Xbox support multiple external drives being connected at once? I doubt you can clone the external drive but hoping it's possible to copy through the internal storage app by connecting 2 external drives to do periodic copying of one drive to another as a backup.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it definitely is refined in everyway. I can't find a single mention of this online, so it must definitely just be a me thing. And yeah lol the build quality on the new controllers are way pass the switch pro.

It's night and day. I had an old 360 controller and I would have handily put the Switch Pro above that one, but there's just something premium about the Series X controllers. Very sturdy plastics, springy triggers, great grip texture, etc - sorry about your issue :( but the grips are actually one of the highlights for me.

Switch Pro controller has these separate pieces of plastic for the bottom portion of the handles that are aesthetically fire, like on the Splatoon edition, but they're starting to drive me nuts. They shift and squeak a bit when gripped.