• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Undead Hero

Dec 11, 2017
So I'm in a bit of a pickle that I didn't expect. I used my One X for all my media needs, and I connected my 5.1 soundbar with rear satellites directly into the Xbox optical port. Color me surprised when I'm hooking up my Series X and there's no optical port.

Connecting the soundbar to the TV is giving me some audio sync issues, and the rear satellites aren't playing any sound.

Is this what a receiver is for? I've been able to avoid dealing with that bit of technology, and it seems extra complicated with hdmi 2.1 and everything. Anybody have any help or resources I can check out?

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
So I'm in a bit of a pickle that I didn't expect. I used my One X for all my media needs, and I connected my 5.1 soundbar with rear satellites directly into the Xbox optical port. Color me surprised when I'm hooking up my Series X and there's no optical port.

Connecting the soundbar to the TV is giving me some audio sync issues, and the rear satellites aren't playing any sound.

Is this what a receiver is for? I've been able to avoid dealing with that bit of technology, and it seems extra complicated with hdmi 2.1 and everything. Anybody have any help or resources I can check out?
Is this helpful? https://www.gfinityesports.com/arti...-mixamp-optical-cable-port-aux-audio-jack-usb
(I don't have experience, luckily my soundbar is optical but plugs into my TV directly).

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
just got PS5. So i been playing that more lately. Boy do i miss quick resume

Im digging my PS5 ...but it is making me appreciate some things on the Series X, for sure. Series X is def quieter. I had to take the PS5 off rest mode and just shut it off, because i could hear it making noise while i was trying to sleep. My PS5 has also done the thing where it sounds like a jet engine once or twice now. Im not sure i've heard my Series X make a peep.

As much as the Series X is a fingerprint magnet (i swear it got a greasy thumb spot immediately)...i don't see a spec of dust on it.
Meanwhile i've only had PS5 a day or so...and there is visible dust on the black part.

Yeah, my PS5 has been getting more use because the launch titles are just stronger, but there is a ton xbout the XSX as a system I prefer.

Software is king, but QR has me buying my multiplayer on XSX.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Nightmare - does this apply to other apps like Disney Plus? I may have to download to my ps5 instead.

The PS5 puts 100% of everything into an HDR wrapper, so good luck.

Netflix is the only problem app on the XSX. It's Netflix fault.

I mean, just buy a Apple TV 4K. It's the best for displaying content in the correct wrapper.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone recommend wireless headphones for series X? My price range is $100 - $150 or so... I've always used the playstation wireless headsets with my playstations, and now that I have an xbox I want something for that as well. wireless.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
Can anyone recommend wireless headphones for series X? My price range is $100 - $150 or so... I've always used the playstation wireless headsets with my playstations, and now that I have an xbox I want something for that as well. wireless.

...can you not just use the PlayStation headset? The USB dongle has worked with everything else I've stuck it in.

BionicDreamer

Nov 6, 2017
Fired up Tekken 7 and holy cow what resolution is that game running at? It was like I was wearing smudged glasses or something.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa

Arctis 7X. Wireless on Xbox, PlayStation, Switch, and PC. Very comfortable and good sound quality. $150.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
For some reason, my Series X isn't letting me upload a clip to XBL. It'll start the process, get to like 3%, and then the screen will go black until I press the Guide button. It keeps doing that no matter what I do; I tried restarting the upload process several times, even after rebooting my console. Does anyone else have this problem?

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
For some reason, my Series X isn't letting me upload a clip to XBL. It'll start the process, get to like 3%, and then the screen will go black until I press the Guide button. It keeps doing that no matter what I do; I tried restarting the upload process several times, even after rebooting my console. Does anyone else have this problem?

It does that with me too, Just with 4K captures I think. Same if I try to trim clips.

Oct 25, 2017
*sigh*

Is anyone having issues with hard crashes on the Series S? I can't play anything without it either booting to the home screen (Viva Piñata) or outright hard crashing the console (Halo 5, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Forza Horizon 4). Is this something that Microsoft talked about?

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
I had not tried this before. Just now I tried my pulse 3D on my XSX and couldn't get it to work.

Looking into it, thanks!
The Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 for Xbox is $150 USD it may be on sale for cheaper right now due to Black Friday. It connects wirelessly to the console just like the controllers do, so you dont have to use a USB dongle. It can also play game audio and bluetooth audio from your phone at the same time.

The build quality of the gen 2 is a big step over the gen 1 versions.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Arctis 7X. Wireless on Xbox, PlayStation, Switch, and PC. Very comfortable and good sound quality. $150.

Is it more comfortable than other headsets ? I have an old Turtle Beach 700 stealth one looks like most headsets but I hate the pressure it puts on my scalp and hair. It starts to heat up and is mostly very uncomfortable. I saw that the 7X has a different band kind of like a elastic thing underneath the top part of the headset, how does that feel ? Seems the top part doesn't connect with your scalp and only the band does. This is my biggest worry and the main reason I would buy it. I deliberately do not use the Turtle Beach Stealth 700 and just use the awful mono (one side open) xbox headset which doesn't press on my head or even touches my hair so I found that one comfortable as awful as the headset itself is. I watched some 7X videos but no one really mentioned that part and it's difficult to get a grasp on that part from just watching.

Anyone with a 7X that can shed some light on this ?

Thanks in advance.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Is it more comfortable than other headsets ? I have an old Turtle Beach 700 stealth one looks like most headsets but I hate the pressure it puts on my scalp and hair. It starts to heat up and is mostly very uncomfortable. I saw that the 7X has a different band kind of like a elastic thing underneath the top part of the headset, how does that feel ? Seems the top part doesn't connect with your scalp and only the band does. This is my biggest worry and the main reason I would buy it. I deliberately do not use the Turtle Beach Stealth 700 and just use the awful mono (one side open) xbox headset which doesn't press on my head or even touches my hair so I found that one comfortable as awful as the headset itself is. I watched some 7X videos but no one really mentioned that part and it's difficult to get a grasp on that part from just watching.

Anyone with a 7X that can shed some light on this ?

Thanks in advance.

I find them pretty comfortable. The elastic band is adjustable so you can control how tight it is on your head. If used properly the top, hard band will never touch your head at all. I guess I'm your case it's a matter of if you'd be ok with the elastic band touching your head.

Grandben

Nov 6, 2017
yeah it's fine, it's always using a bit of power so it's going to give off some heat. According this DF article the S uses 16w for instant-on and it doesn't specify if that's a max or if it goes up when doing stuff like updating but it seems like it's always doing something. I don't know if anyone's done any testing on this I couldn't find anything on youtube.

For comparison the PS4 rest mode uses about 10w and can go as low as 1.2w depending on the options.

I would guess the size of the S plays a part in this as well.
Thanks for taking the time to provide a documented answer, much appreciated. Back to enjoying my new toy I go!

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Coming from PS4 and having owned a 360 before it is mind-blowing to me that I can just upload my profile icon by hooking up a pen drive and browsing it like on Windows.

Geeker

May 11, 2019
I have my series s hooked up to my computer monitor. The living room tv is dedicated to the wife so i have to recluse myself to my office if i want to play.
What would have been really nice is to use the series s as an effectively small form factor pc. Id love to play fps (doom) and strategy games (civ 6) with PC interface instead of console. I would think this is a lowish hanging fruit given that both games are on both platforms.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Fired up Tekken 7 and holy cow what resolution is that game running at? It was like I was wearing smudged glasses or something.

720p. The game didn't ever get a One X update. It's criminal.

720p as is Soul Caliber 7. Personally I'm amazed that 720p doesn't look worse.

Soul Calibur is 1440p! It's One X enhanced on Xbox. 1440p is noticably aliased on a 4k screen (I instantly noticed that it wasn't native when I first played the game) but it's a damn site sharper than Tekken's 720p.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about getting the 7Xs since my 9Xs are crappy and inconsistent. Does anybody with the 7x know of you get access to the chat mixer in the Xbox UI, or are all the co trips mounted on the headset? Thanks

JeffG

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
Have a Sony TV XF900, in console settings I can only go up to 50hz @ 4K, can't I have 60hz ? I don't get it. And I thought it was a 100hz screen.
rtings has some comments on their review. Seems like some quirks with that TV

Sony X900F Review (XBR49X900F, XBR55X900F, XBR65X900F, XBR75X900F, XBR85X900F) - RTINGS.com

Update 06/11/2018: A note for Xbox One X and Xbox One S owners: 120Hz from the Xbox won't work with this TV (and all 2017-2018 Sony's we've tested), because the TV requires a forced resolution for 120 Hz to be displayed.

Update 06/12/2018: It turns out 1080p @ 120Hz is possible, when the Xbox's connection type is changed from Auto-detect (Recommended) to HDMI: (Xbox > Settings > Display & sound > Video fidelity & overscan > Display > Connection > HDMI). Unfortunately in this mode 4k, HDR, 50 Hz and 24 Hz aren't possible, so this mode is only recommended when the higher refresh rate of 120 Hz is more important to you than these other features. Find out more here.

Update 06/18/2018: Correction, 24Hz and 50Hz are in fact possible with the Xbox's connection type set to HDMI.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Forgive me if this has been discussed already, but has anyone tried Fallen Order? I did the opening up to partway to the vault on Bogano last night and it didn't quite feel as smooth as I was expecting..? I was on performance mode, with motion blur disabled... I don't know if it's just not quite hitting 60 or if there's some uneven frame pacing, but it felt a bit off to me.

As an aside, I wonder if it'll get an update on the new consoles. I played it at release on PC via EA Play Premium or whatever it's called now, and was able to run it pretty much maxed out at 4K/60, and it'd be really nice to get closer to that on console (though to be fair, it still looks really good at 1080p, so it's not a deal breaker). I know EA didn't mention it when they recently talked about their games that would be getting upgrades, but it's still a pretty recent game, and sold gangbusters.

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
Fallen Order played nice for the 10 mins i played on performance.

appeared to be 60 locked

are you playing on internal ssd?

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Fallen Order played nice for the 10 mins i played on performance.

appeared to be 60 locked

are you playing on internal ssd?

Thanks! I bought an SSD for back compat games yesterday (Crucial MX500), so it's running off of that. I might move it over later and see if it makes a difference.

Yeah, it looks great as well. Are there any visual downgrades going to performance mode other than highest resolution being at 1080p?

I don't know the answer to that, but it does still look really good in performance mode. So if there are cutbacks, they must've been pretty smart about it.

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
is EA Play coming to PC?

Thanks! I bought an SSD for back compat games yesterday (Crucial MX500), so it's running off of that. I might move it over later and see if it makes a difference.

Give it a go. The game had weird streaming issues on previous gen, so maybe you are experiencing that. On top of that I dunno. I have read good experiences from the guys in the thread

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
is EA Play coming to PC?

Give it a go. The game had weird streaming issues on previous gen, so maybe you are experiencing that. On top of that I dunno. I have read good experiences from the guys in the thread

As part of Game Pass, you mean? I think it's supposed to come over in December, yeah.

And thanks, will do. I do remember those streaming hitches from the DF video, now that you mention it.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Oh boy.

I must apologise in advance for the self-dunk I am about to commit.

I didn't have the game on performance mode.

Now. In my defense (because someone has to defend me!), I was playing the game at about 2am last night. But I went into the options menu, saw the performance mode at the bottom, and assumed I'd already set it at some point when I tried the game out on One X a while ago (as I mentioned earlier, I played the game originally on PC, but someone gifted me an Xbox copy last Christmas, so I'd had a quick look at that version back then). I assumed that it'd carried my settings across, and that as it said "performance mode", it must have been on. Otherwise it would have said "quality mode" or something, right?? No. It's a toggle.

No wonder it looked better and felt more juddery than I was expecting. Palm is now firmly attached to face, and I should not try these things out in the early hours of the morning.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

(and yes, for the avoidance of doubt, it feels great in performance mode. Ahem)

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
rtings has some comments on their review. Seems like some quirks with that TV

Sony X900F Review (XBR49X900F, XBR55X900F, XBR65X900F, XBR75X900F, XBR85X900F) - RTINGS.com

Update 06/11/2018: A note for Xbox One X and Xbox One S owners: 120Hz from the Xbox won't work with this TV (and all 2017-2018 Sony's we've tested), because the TV requires a forced resolution for 120 Hz to be displayed.

Update 06/12/2018: It turns out 1080p @ 120Hz is possible, when the Xbox's connection type is changed from Auto-detect (Recommended) to HDMI: (Xbox > Settings > Display & sound > Video fidelity & overscan > Display > Connection > HDMI). Unfortunately in this mode 4k, HDR, 50 Hz and 24 Hz aren't possible, so this mode is only recommended when the higher refresh rate of 120 Hz is more important to you than these other features. Find out more here.

Update 06/18/2018: Correction, 24Hz and 50Hz are in fact possible with the Xbox's connection type set to HDMI.

Well, when I set it to 1080p it doesn't seems to work (or maybe it's a problem going through my AVR). Thanks for the info still.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Someone tell Jason Ronald that the Series S deserve a separate profile than the One S. This little beast can do so much more.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Any hdmi to dvi cables that would make 1440/120hz with freesync work on the LG27GL850? Sucks you're stuck to 1080

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Finished Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order via game pass.

Cal Kestis is probably my favorite Jedi. I really liked him by the end (his "typical" protagonist look sure didn't help at the start).

Respawn nailed Star Wars. If it weren't for Zeffo absolute garbage map, handholding at the start, cheesy cinematic setpieces and minor grips with the lockon/camera (as typical of Souls like games) it would easily be my GOTY.

The new movies need to learn a thing or two from this game.

I dunno how they did it but Respawn made a multiplatform game on the level of studios like Naughty Dog just less polished (nature of being on more than one platform).

It's also a shame we didn't get a patch on consoles for 4k/60. Probably wanna resell it again.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order via game pass.

Cal Kestis is probably my favorite Jedi. I really liked him by the end (his "typical" protagonist look sure didn't help at the start).

Respawn nailed Star Wars. If it weren't for Zeffo absolute garbage map, handholding at the start, cheesy cinematic setpieces and minor grips with the lockon/camera (as typical of Souls like games) it would easily be my GOTY.

The new movies need to learn a thing or two from this game.

I dunno how they did it but Respawn made a multiplatform game on the level of studios like Naughty Dog just less polished (nature of being on more than one platform).

It's also a shame we didn't get a patch on consoles for 4k/60. Probably wanna resell it again.

Yep. I enjoyed this game a lot.Hope this studio gets to do a lot more Star Wars stuff in the future.