• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
just got PS5. So i been playing that more lately. Boy do i miss quick resume

Im digging my PS5 ...but it is making me appreciate some things on the Series X, for sure. Series X is def quieter. I had to take the PS5 off rest mode and just shut it off, because i could hear it making noise while i was trying to sleep. My PS5 has also done the thing where it sounds like a jet engine once or twice now. Im not sure i've heard my Series X make a peep.

As much as the Series X is a fingerprint magnet (i swear it got a greasy thumb spot immediately)...i don't see a spec of dust on it.
Meanwhile i've only had PS5 a day or so...and there is visible dust on the black part.

zou

Oct 29, 2017

So I'm having these weird graphical glitches in call of duty, should I be worried? Only happens in the lobby and haven't seen anything similar in-game yet.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
It would be great to have some kind of visual cue to what games are in Quick Resume. I just started Red2 up after a week and it resumed my game instead of starting from scratch. Which is awesome, but as far as I can see there is no way to see on the icon or anywhere that its going to quick resume.

Just a small white dot in the upper left corner would suffice. And give you the chance to close the app if you do you want a fresh start, for some reason.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
So, I'm probably being a big ol' dummy here, but I could use some help.

After watching DF's external storage video, I decided to pick up a SATA SSD for back compat titles (grabbed a Crucial MX500 as it was on sale) and the SATA/USB3 bridge linked to from the DF video description.

I plugged it into the Series X. Nothing happened. I connected it to my PC and created a new NTFS volume and named it (though I didn't give it a drive letter), then tried it again on the console. Still not showing.

I've tried all the USB ports on the console (including the one I had my old 2TB external HDD from the XBO plugged into) to no avail. I just deleted the volume I created and tried it again in the console and it still won't see it.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong. Can anyone help?

Kilirath

Oct 27, 2017
So, I'm probably being a big ol' dummy here, but I could use some help.

After watching DF's external storage video, I decided to pick up a SATA SSD for back compat titles (grabbed a Crucial MX500 as it was on sale) and the SATA/USB3 bridge linked to from the DF video description.

I plugged it into the Series X. Nothing happened. I connected it to my PC and created a new NTFS volume and named it (though I didn't give it a drive letter), then tried it again on the console. Still not showing.

I've tried all the USB ports on the console (including the one I had my old 2TB external HDD from the XBO plugged into) to no avail. I just deleted the volume I created and tried it again in the console and it still won't see it.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong. Can anyone help?
Have you tried to do a full restart with the external drive connected? Once it detects the drive, it should then ask you if you want to use the drive for games or media. Selecting games will cause the Xbox to format the drive for game usage.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Did it turn back on? Mine did not. Had to send it to Microsoft yesterday.

Mine did turn off when I tried to Quick Resume Gears 5, luckily it turned back on by itself immediately, there's something about that game that isn't right and I'm uninstalling it until they patch it.

Actually doing some googling this seems to happen quite a lot.

Last edited:

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Have you tried to do a full restart with the external drive connected? Once it detects the drive, it should then ask you if you want to use the drive for games or media. Selecting games will cause the Xbox to format the drive for game usage.

I did a restart through the guide with the drive plugged in, yeah. I've been speaking to a friend who did the same last week, and they said they had to plug and unplug the drive a bunch of times before the console recognised it, so I guess I'll... just keep trying..?

Thanks for the reply!

Inti

Nov 20, 2017

So I'm having these weird graphical glitches in call of duty, should I be worried? Only happens in the lobby and haven't seen anything similar in-game yet.

I am actually having this same issue, not just in Warzone though, Sea of Thieves, at night, sometimes shows it, and it's identical. I haven't noticed it on Forza or Final XV. I would like to think it's a firmware issue and not that the video card is crashing due to overheating. Anyone else had this happen to them or has some input to ease our minds?

ExtinguirX

Nov 22, 2018

I am actually having this same issue, not just in Warzone though, Sea of Thieves, at night, sometimes shows it, and it's identical. I haven't noticed it on Forza or Final XV. I would like to think it's a firmware issue and not that the video card is crashing due to overheating. Anyone else had this happen to them or has some input to ease our minds?

Me too on Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5, Destiny 2...
It's said to be a firmware issue with VRR or HDMI 2.1. I'm on LG CX 55

Last edited:

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
It's not hot in standby, but there's definitely some warmth in specific places.

Do you think it's beneficial for the hardware to turn Instant On off and have it permanently power down? It shouldn't be downloading or doing anything in the background, so I wonder if the heat is something related to Quick Resume?

It's just sat there in stasis waiting for me to try and runaway from the bird again on Ori.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020

Also gamepass allows my kids to try sooo much random shit they wouldn't have other wise. Like my daughter beat The Tourist tonight, but she never would have played it if not for it just being on gamepass.

I'm behaving like your kids regarding to GamePass as well. lol I'm playing so many games that I would never do otherwise because I'm not interested enough to buy it.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Well whaddaya know, turning the system off and on again with the drive attached worked this time! Now to move stuff over...
yeah it seems a bit picky about WHEN it decides to detect a drive. I had to run mine off and back on BUT it worked the first time I did that.

If anyone else is reading this - make sure you turn the xbox completely off. There's a choice to do so in one of the menus. I'd turn off "instant on" so it goes off completely and then pull the power cable for a bit.

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Are there still people playing gears of war 1 or gears ultimate online?

I beat and loved the gears 5 campaign but the multiplayer just ain't for me. I want something old school.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
The joys of launch consoles. At least it's working now!

Yes, thankfully! Thanks again.

yeah it seems a bit picky about WHEN it decides to detect a drive. I had to run mine off and back on BUT it worked the first time I did that.

If anyone else is reading this - make sure you turn the xbox completely off. There's a choice to do so in one of the menus. I'd turn off "instant on" so it goes off completely and then pull the power cable for a bit.

Yeah, it didn't work when I restarted through the guide, but it did when I did the ol' 'hold the power button for five seconds' hard reset. Seems a bit finicky, but at least it's working now!

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ

Holy shit. I've gotten these and assumed part of game because
of the brainwashing part of game.
Now I see others saying it happens in mp (which I don't play much) and other games. Wow. I feel the fool right now.

I'm not playing as much as I thought I would with the new console. Maybe a hour a day. Getting a new oled with my Series X has definitely gotten me back to watching more movies though.

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like it's about 6 inches or so. I've been running test to make sure things aren't getting hot anywhere. The air that the fan blows out the back is warm at best, and hasn't made the exterior wall behind the media cabinet hot at all so far. I previously had machined holes drilled in the back to vent out air, but decided to add the fans on both consoles just in case. Highly recommended, if you're gonna tuck away your ps5 or series x in the cabinet space.
Awesome thanks for the info!

Scarlet0Pimp

Feb 4, 2018
Yes, you get a warning on the bottom right of the screen that the game needs the high speed drive. You can still move it, but you would not be able to play it off another drive. I have the SSD Expansion plus a 2TB USB SSD and I was moving stuff from my internal to see if it gave the warning, if it did I kept it, if it didn't I moved it to the the 2TB USB SSD. The other thing is Digital Foundry did some testing and a good USB SSD loads BC games just as fast (maybe a second or 2) slower than the internal drive. So it may be worth investing in a standard USB SSD.
Thanks for that I will keep an eye out, need to get the SSD expansion, out of stock near me at the moment though.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does editing and sharing clips not work? Every time I try to edit a clip I get a black screen and an eventual boot to the hole screen.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
It's not hot in standby, but there's definitely some warmth in specific places.

Do you think it's beneficial for the hardware to turn Instant On off and have it permanently power down? It shouldn't be downloading or doing anything in the background, so I wonder if the heat is something related to Quick Resume?

It's just sat there in stasis waiting for me to try and runaway from the bird again on Ori.
Just bumping this, is anyone else concerned by heat when it's powered off (in Instant On mode)?

zou

Oct 29, 2017
Me too on Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5, Destiny 2...
It's said to be a firmware issue with VRR or HDMI 2.1. I'm on LG CX 55

yep, looks like that's the case.

My brother's XSX doesn't have these issues on his B9, tried his console on my CX and it's showing the same glitches.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Is anyone having a problem launching games from Pins?

The only game I've come across this on is MK11 (and reported problem through the Xbox Dashboard). But it's strange...game launches fine through My Games & Apps or when it's in my recently played. But I can click A endlessly on its tile in Pins with no luck. I've tried removing it/re-adding it, then again from a different source (My Games & Apps vs. recently played tiles). I've tried restarting the Xbox. Nothing.

Grand scheme of things, not a big deal, but...mildly frustrating!

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, thankfully! Thanks again.

Yeah, it didn't work when I restarted through the guide, but it did when I did the ol' 'hold the power button for five seconds' hard reset. Seems a bit finicky, but at least it's working now!
Yeah that guide restart thing always seems wonky. either a full shutdown or hold the power button, or turn off and pull the cable

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
I see a lot of games for a fraction of a price on my local marketplace app. For example valhalla and cold war for like 5 dollars. How is this possible, how does this even work? Of course these are not physical versions.

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone ever run into the screen turning snowy/grainy randomly? Usually it's caused by switching from the UI to a game or vice versa.

I've got this the last couple of days, and turning it off and on resolves it, but it's kind of annoying.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
if i quick resume close a game on my series x, turn the system off, go upstairs and boot up the same game on my one s, play the game from the last checkpoint, save, turn off one s, go downstairs and fire up the series x, quick resume the same game, where does it start from? also, if i play on does it overwrite the hour or so i might have played on the one s?

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or has Microsoft made redeeming codes a lot harder? I used to be able to easily redeem a code through the Xbox iOS app, the Win10 desktop app and on the Xbox.com website and I can't find options to do that anymore. I basically had to google how to redeem a code. I wonder why they stripped that out of so many things?

Mrflood

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or has Microsoft made redeeming codes a lot harder? I used to be able to easily redeem a code through the Xbox iOS app, the Win10 desktop app and on the Xbox.com website and I can't find options to do that anymore. I basically had to google how to redeem a code. I wonder why they stripped that out of so many things?

- You can easily redeem in the windows store app (Even for Xbox)
- I believe the app redesigns stem from removing the stores from both the iOS and Android apps. Likely to due to the revenue split challenges that are currently ongoing.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
- You can easily redeem in the windows store app (Even for Xbox)
- I believe the app redesigns stem from removing the stores from both the iOS and Android apps. Likely to due to the revenue split challenges that are currently ongoing.

I didn't even think of using the Win10 app store. I was used to using the Xbox Win10 app. Good idea. Thanks!

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
if i quick resume close a game on my series x, turn the system off, go upstairs and boot up the same game on my one s, play the game from the last checkpoint, save, turn off one s, go downstairs and fire up the series x, quick resume the same game, where does it start from? also, if i play on does it overwrite the hour or so i might have played on the one s?
Not sure what happens. I would deactivate quick resume in that case just to make sure to not lose any progress.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
Mine did turn off when I tried to Quick Resume Gears 5, luckily it turned back on by itself immediately, there's something about that game that isn't right and I'm uninstalling it until they patch it.

Actually doing some googling this seems to happen quite a lot.
Can you elaborate on what you found it through Google? Because Gears 5 has been my most played game since launch and I haven't had issues with Quick Resume or any performance from Xbox. It's actually really impressing me.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
I think they changed how it works, but for anyone wondering the easier way is typing in the below:

redeem.microsoft.com

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone check out the Series X patch for Star Wars Squadrons yet? Tried the trial before the patch dropped and loved it so ended up buying the full thing today after seen the next gen patch was out.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Can you elaborate on what you found it through Google? Because Gears 5 has been my most played game since launch and I haven't had issues with Quick Resume or any performance from Xbox. It's actually really impressing me.

I've seen a lot of reddit posts about the console shutting off while playing Gears 5, I just downloaded it again to see how it looked, played for a few hours and everything was fine, then I tried to switch from Forza Horizon 4 the console showed a black screen, I went back to the dashboard and tried to start the game again and the console switched off and switched on, I started the game again and it worked without issues, but I'm not playing it again until after a few patches.

So far I've been playing a lot of everything, Forza 4, 360 titles, OG Xbox titles, upgraded titles and Gears only one that has given this issue, even if it was only one time.

MirageDwarf

Oct 28, 2017
So I just plugged in headphone first time. I still hear game audio from TV AND headphone. Tried all audio settings. Searching on net, apparently only solution is to mute your tv.

WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK! WHY THE FUCK IS THERE NO SETTING TO AUTOMATICALLY MUTE TV OUTPUT WHEN HEADPHONE IS PLUGGED IN? If you are plugging in headphone, 99.99999999% you want audio only in headphone.

PS4 had that. With this fucking shit, even if you have HDMI-CEC setup, you need tv remote nearby to mute it when using headphone.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
So I just plugged in headphone first time. I still hear game audio from TV AND headphone. Tried all audio settings. Searching on net, apparently only solution is to mute your tv.

WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK! WHY THE FUCK IS THERE NO SETTING TO AUTOMATICALLY MUTE TV OUTPUT WHEN HEADPHONE IS PLUGGED IN? If you are plugging in headphone, 99.99999999% you want audio only in headphone.

PS4 had that. With this fucking shit, even if you have HDMI-CEC setup, you need tv remote nearby to mute it when using headphone.
Yeah I was annoyed by this as well.

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
I'm having some issues with netflix on the series x. It switches to dolby vision and looks really, really bad. If I put it on and flick between it and my native tv netflix app (also dolby vision) it looks awful. Any ideas?