• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Scottish Sin

Chicken Chaser
Nov 12, 2017
Scotland
My fiancé has been playing Skyrim and it loads so fast. Maybe it's just my eyes playing tricks, but It definitely seems to look a bit sharper than it did on the One X as well.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While the Series S is comfortably quiet, it is hotter than I expected when running games. And to be clear, the hot comes specifically from the big black vent array ring, which makes perfect sense. But still, it's definitely more than 'warm', especially comparing to the top of Series X. Anyone observing the same?

I posted this early. The speaker grill vent def gets a little toasty. If that's how it's supposed to be that's fine though.

flyshow

Oct 31, 2017
Yes, it gets pretty warm. DF mentioned this also. I don´t have any problems while if it doesn´t harm the system.
Thanks for confirming. Yeah, I'm fine with it and so far I've yet to see any issues.
I'm placing the S on my desktop as a secondary console among some book stands, so will try to give the little box more space to breathe the heat.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
While the Series S is comfortably quiet, it is hotter than I expected when running games. And to be clear, the hot comes specifically from the big black vent array ring, which makes perfect sense. But still, it's definitely more than 'warm', especially comparing to the top of Series X. Anyone observing the same?
Yeah I was surprised too but when I checked every other part of the system it was room temp. Additionally the heat went away two mins after I shut down the xsx

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just read about the Uncap FPS mod on Skyrim that performs an ini tweak to allow the game to run at 60 fps. It seems to be an older mod. Looks good on the Series X, though.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Do any of you have framerate inconsistencies while playing Gears 5 on Series S? I am talking about the Act IV, Chapter 1. Thanks.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Disappointed at the No Man's Sky optimization patch. Having a couple dozen recent hours in the game on my One X, it is easy to see that the performance is a mixed bag. Comparing the One X performance mode against the Series X with optimization patch, some areas are improved while others are the same or noticeably worse. My first base, a single 2x2 house with a handful of indoor and outdoor machines, is built on a grassy planet with big trees. On the Series X, this base incurs a constantly inconsistent frame rate, which feels like 40-60 fps. A few planets I checked, with little flora, seem to run far better than before. I'm hoping this can be patched.
Thanks for this info, I was considering starting over on the X if the framerate was consistent. I'm not surprised though, the fps is all over the place on PC too but with g-sync it looks smooth.
Should be good with VRR though, has anyone tried that?

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this info, I was considering starting over on the X if the framerate was consistent. I'm not surprised though, the fps is all over the place on PC too but with g-sync it looks smooth.
Should be good with VRR though, has anyone tried that?
I forgot to mention that pop-in doesn't appear to be improved. On planets without much floral cover, entire areas are blank. It seems pretty close to what it was before. I had three medium refineries and four nutrient processors running (outside in a grassy area, along with a small building and some other building elements like a base computer, storage, and a warp portal) and the slowdown was quite apparent. The next generation trailer must have been produced on PC.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
It's probably worth saying again that the more heat the system outputs, the better it is at cooling, since heat should be outside and not inside the system :3

Probably on horizontal the S has a better time because of hot air going up. Give it some breathing room and that's all it needs

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020
Does the stat tracker for games on XSX not work? I only tried on a couple of games and it always says there are no stats. I thought that is where you go to see interesting stats like how many hours you have put in a game

MirageDwarf

Oct 28, 2017
Is there no way to disable sound effects in dashboard? I swear I went through each setting options and didn't find a way to disable annoying sound effects in dashboard? I only found option to disable start up chime.

Suggestion for UI team, if possible UI should remaining last position when going back. For exa. in privacy settings, there are 2-3 columns. If you press 4th option in second column, change something, and go back using 'B', it always highlights first option in first column.

dotnetguy

Jul 12, 2020
I posted this early. The speaker grill vent def gets a little toasty. If that's how it's supposed to be that's fine though.
Completely normal for both of them to be emitting hot air. In fact that's a very good sign. You definitely want the heat being removed, rather than trapped inside the system, because the SoC will be generating some serious heat.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
MS should outright declare they won't increase game prices this gen. Would be a huge win for them but guessing they are considering it which sucks if they haven't said anything yet.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
MS should outright declare they won't increase game prices this gen. Would be a huge win for them but guessing they are considering it which sucks if they haven't said anything yet.
It would be a good move for customers but honestly if MS wants to push game pass subs raising their game prices and leaving game pass priced as is would kinda be a win win for them.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I don't know why anyone would, but has anyone tried out Homefront; The Revolution on Series X? Even on One X it ran like ass. It could be an interesting test.

TJG662

Oct 25, 2017
California
So I started to get the random turn off. But it seemed to be with cod. Then I noticed I had the old version. I guess the non xsx version does this. So if ur having problems check what version your on.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
I have synced the Series S and PC to the new controller and i could switch between platform without having to resync again, but suddenly it only keeps one platform in memory and can switch between platform without resync. Can i "restore" to default the controller or something to fix this?

Sunfyre

Jan 15, 2020
DOOM Eternal really likes to crash when using Quick Resume. or rather, it already hung up on me two times, meaning it just shows a black screen. At least the console still reacts, and I can close the game from the home screen. Anybody else experiencing this?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Final Fantasy 15, much like Jedi Fallen Order, is completely unplayable for me in non-60fps, its so horribly stuttery espcially when you move the camera around, it doesnt matter how crisper the image quality is, its so distracting you dont even notice the better image quality, you're too focused on the awful frame rate. And also like Fallen Order, it's buttery smooth in 60fps mode.

Seriously I don't know if this is a OLED thing or what, but its these two games specifically because I never had an issue with 30fps games before, hell I was always more of a console player than PC all my life, but goddamn.

Is 30fps more noticiable on OLED, are these 2 games just more jarring for whatever reason, what's going on?

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
So quick resume is broken, I've swapped from ass. creed Valhalla to streaming apps, and then back to the game, and it's a clean boot up to the menu. Has happened a few times. No other games running.

I didn't have this issue with xb1, so this is frustrating

Gdourado

Oct 1, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Is there a list with Xbox one games that have either Dynamic Resolution Scalling, uncapped framerate, or 60 FPS performance modes?
I would like to get some more ideas to try out my new Series X until some proper next gen games start to come out.

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
Just fired up Gears 5 for the first time. Haven't played a Gears game since the OG, or maybe I did try Gears 2 I don't remember. But anyways, I went straight into multiplayer and was playing with recruits/people ranked close enough to my rank of 0.

That was so fun! I was in college when the OG Gears came out, I played that on Xbox Live until 3-4 in the morning every day. Playing Gears 5 multiplayer gave me vibes of those feelings and brought a lot of good memories back. Good times. I can definitely see myself sinking many hours into Gears again now.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Fallen Order is one of the best looking next gen games now that hardware will actually run the game properly, lol.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
Final Fantasy 15, much like Jedi Fallen Order, is completely unplayable for me in non-60fps, its so horribly stuttery espcially when you move the camera around, it doesnt matter how crisper the image quality is, its so distracting you dont even notice the better image quality, you're too focused on the awful frame rate. And also like Fallen Order, it's buttery smooth in 60fps mode.

Seriously I don't know if this is a OLED thing or what, but its these two games specifically because I never had an issue with 30fps games before, hell I was always more of a console player than PC all my life, but goddamn.

Is 30fps more noticiable on OLED, are these 2 games just more jarring for whatever reason, what's going on?
Do you have game mode enabled in your tv settings?

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
The unreliable Quick Resume doesn't make me want to take advantage of it... I don't know if a game has used it or not; if I can't trust it to hold my progress I might as well just save and close the game